Chapter Eight

You & Me

January 21st, 1 am

Jiwoo kept running until she runs out of breath. Cold air tortured her lungs as she felt like they were going to burst at any moment.

She was running nowhere in particular, the only thing that mattered was that it was far away from motel. Even though she planned it months ahead, Jiwoo never thought it would feel like this. Regrettable, guilty, dirty.

It's okay... It's over now. There's no going back now.

She wiped tears streaming down her cheeks and takes a deep breath. Snowflakes that found their way through her nose as she did tickled, so she sneezed. In the end, young woman collects herself and decides to keep walking. But where could she go? Her black card was stolen, she never had any cash, and all she had in heavy suitcase was clothes that she considered selling. Jiwoo wanted to burn black dress that she wore earlier, but couldn't because it'd cause unnecessary attention.

She got goosebumps on thought of how quickly could the body be discovered, which means her plan should proceed just as fast.

Jiwoo wanted to visit one more place before she disappears, maybe forever. And that's what hurt the most.

Yellow headlights that suddenly appeared almost blinded her. There was hardly any chance the driver's going to stop, so she just waited for it to pass by. But instead, the car stopped right next to her.

"Get in.", said the voice from inside. This must be some kind of joke, Jiwoo thought to herself, already prepared to run.

"Police is going to be there soon, Miss Jeon, please let's not waste any time!", he shouts, seeing her hesitate. "If you run away, I'll be key witness in your husband's murder, remember?"

Then it hit her, it must be the guy from earlier. How could she be so stupid and confess her crime to anyone?

"I'll give you whatever you want but in return you have to give me a ride to two places.", she speaks the moment she sits in passenger seat. "I don't have any money but we can pass by my house so I can give you my jewelry."

"Whoa there, slow down sweetie. I'm not here to blackmail you.", Matthew kept his look on the road while he spoke.

"Then why are you here?"

"To help you."

That was simple answer, that Jiwoo just couldn't understand. Figuring out his company isn't satisfied, he tried to explain further.

"I followed you around and worried you're going to do something regrettable so I decided to help you out."

"Well, you were wrong. I'm completely fine. Stop the vehicle.", she demanded, already holding the door handle.

"I know how hard it must feel. Once you kill a person, their blood stays on your hands forever."

"How would you know that?"

"Because I was once in your position.", he replies coldly, making her freeze but voice in her head was sarcastic.

Two complete strangers riding through the night, but now there's something connecting them. They're both murderers.

"So... how did it feel?", Jiwoo asked after a few minutes spent in silence and luckily Matthew knew what she was talking about. She was too afraid to say it out loud.

"Painful. I was disgusted of myself and thought I would forever wear that burden; it felt like the guilt was going to rip my chest open at any given moment. I even had nightmares where my head kept reminding me of the way that knife tore his stomach, his helpless scream as he fell down..."

For Jiwoo, it was hard imagining this cold person packed in muscles regretting killing a man and waking up in the middle of the night, bathed in sweat.

"But that's why every next person was easier to kill.", he adds after not getting response for a while.

Seeing her shocked face expression, he smiled a little. "Where to, Miss Jeon?"

She hasn't told him her destination yet, although they were riding for nearly half an hour.

"Gangnam Severance Hospital, please.", she whispered softly.

Matthew once again realized this woman was no joke; taking away her things would be like hitting jackpot. He looked at the car's rearview mirror, his stare pointed at big suitcase laying in the backseat. Maybe her offer for service exchange wasn't that bad after all. And if he wanted his new plan to work, he must work quickly.

"I can just take you to nearby clinic, why going all the way to Gangnam?"

"My parents work there. Afterwards can you take me to Incheon International Airport?"

"I was actually heading there too. What a coincidence, don't you think?"

"Yeah... Coincidence...", she nodded her head absently. The ride prolonged for around 2 more hours. By the time they saw illuminating lights and tall buildings, it was 4 in the morning. Snow transformed Seoul in idyllic city ready for new year beginning, as well as Chinese New Year coming up and of course... traffic jams.

Matthew whispered a few curses in English, which Jiwoo didn't mostly understand, except for infamous ing hell. They were in a long line crossing Yeondong Bridge and it took good half an hour for path to clear. After that, they smoothly reached her parents' hospital. Jiwoo got goosebumps on thought of having to say goodbye. Her mother will feel hurt, her father stabbed in back. By going away, she's throwing away her life as only daughter of Jeon Min Hyuk and Na Seo Hee.

So what? They took away my youth, telling me to spend it on some man I didn't even know, she tried to justify her reasons, but it only made her feel more guilty. Tears formed in her eyes and something tightened in , and she was either going to throw up or start crying any moment soon.

"Can you please park in the back alley and wait for me there, please? I don't want to attract too much attention."

Matthew does as she said and, realizing it might take a while until his company comes back, uses free time to open internet searcher and types "kim taehyung and jeon jiwoo marriage".

Before reaching her mother's office, Jiwoo took a deep breath in and gave up faking a smile.

Knock knock.

"Come in!", familiar voice shouts from inside and she enters. Na Seo Hee didn't hide surprised face expression. Her daughter and son-in-law are supposed to be in Japan.

"Can we talk? It's kind of urgent..."

"What is it, sweetie?", her mother instinct told her there's something big going on. Jiwoo seemed to notice worry in her eyes, so she smiled comfortingly.

"I was just wondering if you could... if you could borrow me some cash?"

"I don't see any reason for me not to do so. How much do you need?"

"One hundred thousand dollars..."

Disturbance within her mother raised. Why would she come all the way here at 4 am, to ask for 100 thousand dollars in cash?

"What do you need that money for?"

Blonde woman refused to look her straight in the eye.

"Jeon Jiwoo!", she yelled like she's scolding a ten-year-old. "In order for me to help you, you have to tell me what's wrong. I don't like your attitude at all! It's like you changed overnight!"

If only you knew those words weren't far from truth...

Right when she was about to speak up, a nurse ran up to them.

"Doctor Na, an emergency case just arrived from Sokcho..."

"Tell Doctor Oh to take over, I have bigger concern right now.", Na Seo Hee said but nurse's next sentence shocked both daughter and mother.

"It's actually your son-in-law... and your in-laws are requesting your presence..."

She looked at Jiwoo for two seconds, like she's just realized something.

"Wait for me inside..."

Based on her tone, Jiwoo knew that wasn't a request. It was an order.