Chapter Two

You & Me

Young woman walked out on terrace, not caring about stares she would get from people passing by hotel, because of tight nightdress that didn't leave much to imagination.

Somin stretched both arms and took a moment to breathe in New York morning air. It smelled like memories she left behind. But there she is, just a few months later, recalling the last time she had such a good sleep.

She grabbed her phone and immediately saw 80 missed calls. Her father noticed her disappearance at around 1:30 last night and he wouldn't stop dialing her number until 7:45, which was two hours ago.

She figured he probably already notified his sister and knowing Jeon Soon Young's detective skills, she will have to be very careful about where she moves during the next few days.

After getting dressed, Somin went down to reception with her suitcase, paid bill with ready and politely asked if taxi could wait for her outside in 20 minutes. She spent that time in hotel restaurant, having quick breakfast. She took all cash from her bank account yesterday, so her father wouldn't be able to track her down using her credit card transactions.

She gave driver address and rode for about 30 minutes. This street was one of those that government kept refusing to restore because "there was no point". As a result, buildings were starting to fall apart. Native tenants who inherited apartments from their parents and grandparents moved out and sold them for low prices, to gangsters, murderers, men who neared their 4th decade but still acted like college students, people who illegally crossed the border. It was no secret what kinds of people lived here, yet no one ever got involved with them. They were like a family, protecting each other no matter the circumstances.

Somin was once part of that family too. Her parents strongly opposed it and she finally gave in after going through painful break up.

Standing right under the building she recognized as one where he lived, she wondered how smart is it to dig through past and open old wounds that haven't fully healed yet. But then she shook her head. She already broke promise she gave to her mother, basically robbed their family account, ran away... After coming that far, she can't just give up.

She climbed up a long stairway until she reached apartment number 303.

It's okay. You can do this!

She encouraged herself before knocking softly.

Out of all people in this world, Jeon Somin was the last he expected to see at 10 in the morning - and months after they broke up.

„Long time no see, Matthew," she highlighted his American name, like she wanted to remind him there's no emotional connection between them. Not waiting for his reaction, she let herself walk in.

„Somin...", he remained collected, even though everything around him screamed trouble. In the end, that's the only thing this girl's ever brought him.

She snickered upon seeing condition of apartment she once called her own. Carton boxes and take-out wrappers all over the floor, undergarment shamelessly laid on sofa, soju bottles in kitchen sink, and same suspicious smell all over the place. Probably an old sandwich.

The only difference was that his work room door were locked.

„What the hell do you want?", he followed her around for a while before speaking.

„I want you to take responsibility,"she turned around and looked up at him without hesitation.

For what? He paid all his debt to her family, he erased her from his memories as if she never existed, he sacrificed passionate but destructive relationship for her happiness. How she dares come back and ask him to take more than what he already swallowed?

„Look, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't emergency. Don't ask and just play along, alright?", she opens her suitcase and picks up two towels and new clothes.

„No, I need to know what's going on!"

Matthew grabbed her arm and spun her around.

„I'm pregnant!"

Somin's shout echoed through the room.