Chapter Twelve

You & Me

Her

"I'm sorry? My husband has what?"

Doctor Brown looked at her very seriously and fixed half-moon shaped glasses on his nose before repeating the sentence Jiwoo couldn't process.

"Cibophobia, or, more simply, fear of food. There are two ways it's expressed: food aversion or fear of choking. I'm sure you've experienced first case with your own child - avoiding certain kind of food like green vegetables."

"Actually, we don't have any kids...", she lowered her head, finding his example awkward.

"Oh, I'm really sorry. Anyways, there's a big chance you've experienced it in your own skin at one point in your childhood. But I'm afraid his case might be in second group of food phobics, which is fear of choking or gagging."

He looked at Taehyung's room door worriedly and continued. "This type of cibophobia is not uncommon in any age range. While a child is often able to overcome food aversion quickly, it might take more time and effort for adults to get over their food fear. It is commonly expressed after traumatic experience involving food or liquid; for example food poisoning..."

Jiwoo gasped at last two words.

"Patient is afraid they're going to eat expired date food again, or that someone might've put something in their drink. That's why they will avoid cafes, restaurants, fast food and pizza delivery and they'll almost never accept liquor from anyone else's hands but their own. Of course, those are just extreme cases. Mr Kim's state is hard to predict at this moment, but so far he refused all food offered to him. He was at the brunch with colleagues in nearby restaurant when he suddenly fainted. We gave him intravenous infusion until he gained consciousness, but I'm warning you; this phobia can affect his health in drastic ways if he doesn't start working on it right away. The reason he fainted in the first place was because he hasn't eaten anything in days."

Young woman covered in shock, realizing all this happened because of her. If it wasn't for her selfishness, they could've started over normally. Now they were on edge of divorce that she didn't want anymore. She has to be fast if she wants to stop him from calling a lawyer.

"Can I... Can I see him?"

Doctor Brown nods, seeming satisfied with her question. "We think you might be the only one who will be able to make him eat. If he sees the person closest to him motivating him, he might make a move himself."

That was a great idea... Except no one knew they were as close as penguin and polar bear; they lived on the same ground but one had to run away from other in order to survive.

When she was about to make another comment, a girl approached doctor. Jiwoo noticed two things about her:
1. she was definitely not American, but the way she spoke gave away free, careless person
2. she was incredibly beautiful, which made her self-conscious for a moment.

They were around the same height, and maybe even age. She had brown hair that reached her shoulders, but what fascinated Jiwoo the most were her facial features, perfectly compliant with heart-shaped head, as if she was a sculpture. Even her legs were well-built, but her waist shape was hidden behind grey sweatshirt with NEW YORK printed in bold font.

The rest of her outfit consisted of ripped jeans, UGG brown boots that were especially popular that winter in USA and a powder pink scarf hanging around her neck, more like fashion supplement.

"Somin, I told you to stay in your room," doctor's tone was calm, but he was clearly worried.

"I just went to the restroom...", Somin spoke, lowering her eyes a little.

"Sickness again?", he assumed and the girl nodded. "Don't worry, it will stop in a month. Just hang in there."

Jiwoo must've stared for too long because Somin looked at her with surprised. However, she doesn't look away but instead keeps her eyes on Jiwoo.

"Have we met before?", Somin asks, which confused the blonde.

"Miss Jiwoo was heading to visit her husband. And you are going back to your room.", doctor remained persistent, laying one hand on her back, to make sure she did as he said.

"Oh you can go to work!", Jiwoo said when he offered to get in Taehyung's room with her. "I'll be in and out in no time."

With that, she heads towards room 211 and knocks before getting in.

It was ordinary hospital room, with white walls, cold lights and two beds both in their own corners. However, only one bed was filled today.

Taehyung was lying down, staring at the ceiling blankly. It seemed like he didn't hear the knocking and heels clicking moment later. His left arm was connected to infusion and what Jiwoo noticed the first was how pale he was. She forgot 14-hour flight, dark circles under her eyes and sleepiness that took over just now. All she could focus on now was taking care of him.

"Taehy..."

Before she even finished calling his name, a metal bowl was sent flying her way. Hot soup managed to burn her palm and make stain on her beige fur coat.

The man who jumped up in bed was unrecognizable. His eyeballs were red and only thing that could be read on his face was rage.

"I think I made it clear when I said you're dead person to me!", he said almost like he was spitting every word.

Even though she was scared, Jiwoo walked closer to bed, when he yelled.

"Don't move!"

She obeyed.

"Since you're the one to blame for this," he pointed at infusion stall. "I want answers. And don't try and lie to me, because I'll know."

Jiwoo felt her temples pulsing, making her head ache. Finally, she sighs.

"Fine... What is it that you want to know?"

"First of all, who called the ambulance the night I fainted in motel?"

She knew he was going to ask that, but she hoped it wouldn't be so soon. However, lying solves nothing at this moment.

"Honestly? I have no idea."

Taehyung looked at her suspiciously, but didn't see any reason for what she said to be untrue.

"But whoever it was, they had their hands on this..."

Jiwoo reached her hand in her bag and showed him her black card.

Him

When Somin entered small apartment, the sun was rising, letting its faint beams enlighten the room and the body lying on old sofa.

She rolled her eyes, remembering how he said he's gonna wait for her in front of the hospital but judging by the amount of alcohol bottles on the floor, he probably didn't even hear his phone ringing.

For some reason, she enjoyed watching his asleep face. That's only time when his facade and rough stares would disappear, allowing her to see other, more vulnerable side of him. She often thought that if he was to die by homicide, it would definitely be with his eyes closed.

She took off her boots as quietly as possible, but her cellphone fell out of her pocket while she was taking jacket off, making Matthew jump almost immediately.

He looked confused before his blurred eyesight cleared and he saw familiar face on the doorway.

"Hey, what's going on? Why didn't you call me?", he asked in hoarse voice and she snickered.

"I actually did, several times. And ended up taking a cab."

"Oh... Well, how did it go? Did the doctor say something?", he tried to act like a worried soon-to-be-dad but something told him he failed every time.

"Nothing special, just to keep balanced diet and avoid getting sick during flu season."

She went to the kitchen part to make tea, when she remembered. "Oh, right. I saw that girl with Doctor Brown..."

"Which girl?"

"You know, the one you felt sorry for and ended up robbing in Sokcho?"

Matthew winced. Did she actually look for him?

"Do you know what was she doing there?"

"Doctor Brown mentioned something about visiting her husband? That was hella good black card though..."

He didn't listen to her murmurs as he looked over at the suitcase standing in the corner of the room.

Then it hit him. He turned around quickly. "Hey, Somin."

The girl looked at him, holding spoon filled with sugar. Matthew smiled both at the sight and the idea he suddenly got.

"Do you want to get rich?"