Chapter Eleven

You & Me

"Are you okay?"

Taehyung turned around and looked at her like she's crazy.

"Why is that any of your concern?", he asked not even a moment later, but didn't want an answer. He headed to bedroom, since hard day was awaiting him. He had to make important calls and schedule canceled appointments. Many people from both their and rival companies were waiting for a moment when Kim Jung Woo's ace was gone so now he had to step up again and show them he's gonna stick around for a while.

"I was just worried, you know, about what happened...", Jiwoo was persistent, which only pissed him off more.

"Like I said, none of your business.", he tried to say as calmly as possible, but couldn't hide cynic sound that went along with that sentence.

"Were you perhaps... Scared there was poison in wine?", she finally asks question that's been eating her from inside since he left the table. There was small pause, like he didn't want to hurry taking off cravat and ing collar of white shirt, looking in hanging mirror instead of her eyes.

"How would that do any harm to you?"

"Stop turning my questions upside down and answer normally, for god's sake! I'm genuinely worried about you, we all were while you were laying in that hospital bed, half-dead and there could be permanent consequences! I don't know how could they let you out so quickly either...", Jiwoo sat down on their shared bed and let out frustrated sigh. It was certain that Taehyung knew well who was behind his homicide attempt and it was only question of time and his good will when will she be thrown out or maybe, just maybe - forgiven.

That's why she wanted to work and smooth out their relationship before it's too late. But instead of making progress, it only got more complicated and twisted, to the point where Jiwoo was scared for herself, as well as her family. It hurt her to admit but they were nothing without her husband family's money. And she was nothing without him.

"They didn't...", he suddenly said, making her little bubble of thoughts burst.

"What?"

"They didn't let me out. I just... walked away. Nurses were scared enough to let me go after I asked them to leave my room. I waited for the right moment and went out without anyone noticing.", he shrugged. When she heard him speaking so blankly, Jiwoo couldn't take it, as she stood up and gave him hateful stare.

"Did you just play my parents in the middle of their hospital? You think everyone can walk in and out like it's some kind of grocery store?! What the hell do you take us for?!", she raised her palm, planning to slap him but he stopped her by catching her wrist.

"I wouldn't, if I were you.", he then let her go and headed out. "Remember who's the one losing once we get a divorce."

February 4th

Jiwoo's POV

It's been a week since Taehyung came back. I explained what happened with whole "disappearance-from-hospital" thing  to my mother and apologized on his behalf, although I doubt he feels sorry at all...

And as for us... It's been three days since I've last seen him, let alone talked to him. Last I've heard, he was in New York on some kind of emergency meeting with potential investors for new clothing line. I can't help but worry if he had something to eat, if he's feeling jet lagged or sick because of sudden climate change. I want to call him, ask him how he's doing, but I'm sure he wouldn't pick up.

On the other hand, his absence gave me time to organize my thoughts and personal plans. I recently got offers from Manhattan College and Seoul University. I would take offer from USA, but mother wouldn't be very pleased to hear I'll be out of home country for five years. I remember her tears and sadness when they had to send me away three years ago and I don't have the nerve to break her heart all over again.

I look at my phone and decide to be the one to break ice. I dial his number and wait...

...and wait more...

...and more...

The user you're trying to reach is not available at the moment. Please try later.

I moan in annoyance and throw phone back on sofa. Who am I kidding?

I stare at black screen blankly, when it starts ringing. Taehyung's name pops up and I pick up almost immediately.

"H-hello?", I try not to sound excited or nervous but even then manage to stutter.

"Miss Jeon?", unknown voice speaks from the other side and it took me a moment to realize he's speaking English.

"Yes?", I collect myself and say first thing that comes to my mind.

"I'm sorry, your husband was unable to answer earlier because hospital doesn't allow phones in his department."

Hospital?

My stomach turns upside down, all kinds of scenarios flashing through my mind.

"Excuse me? Where is... my husband... now?", I barely remember the words, it's been too long since I spoke English with anyone.

"Lower Manhattan Hospital. I was wondering if you could inform his father and..."

"I'll be there in a few hours. Please don't let him go anywhere until I arrive!", I don't care what he has to say about Taehyung's father, nor I wait for reply before hanging up.

I search for New York flights and find out last one is departing in two hours, at 3 am. I book ticket and go to our room to pack as quickly as possible.

It all happened too fast that I couldn't think twice, nor I intended to. But there was this bad feeling, telling me this has something to do with me - again.