Chapter Twenty Nine

You & Me

It could've been only a day, a week at most, but when Taehyung opened his eyes he felt two to three years older.

He tried moving, but failed due to unbearable pain in his head and soreness in the rest of his body. A hand prevented him from repeating the action twice by holding his arm and pushing him back down. He moaned in annoyance. He was cold, dizzy and thirsty, and now he wasn't even able to get up!

"Go back to bed, Mr Kim", a familiar voice hushed at him, but Taehyung refused to obey. He needed to get somewhere before...

Before what?

There was a huge black hole blocking the end of his thought, which disturbed him even more.

In the end, he laid his head back on warm pillow and shut his eyes, trying to concentrate and remember where was it that he had to go.

There was a sound of doors being opened and he felt cold air pass by his face for a mere moment before the doors were shut again. High heels' clicking echoed through the room. Whoever entered was either in rush or extremely impatient.

"Did he wake up?", he recognized his Mother's voice; she sounded like she was worried about something... It wasn't long before Taehyung realized that she was talking about him.

The other voice, belonging to a man who told him to go back down, confirmed. "He wanted to get up, but I stopped him before anything went wrong."

Miss Yoon sighed in relief. "What would we do without you, Mr Oh?"

Taehyung could imagine polite and modest secretary smiling as his boss' wife gave him a compliment. That was when he opened his eyes again, feeling less lightheaded, but still a little drugged, probably because of the sedatives.

"Mom...", was all he managed to say with dry throat. Hearing that voice, Yoon Hye Jin rushed to his side and took one of his hands in hers gently, watching him with same worry he felt in her voice moments before.

"Son, how are you feeling? Does anywhere hurt? Maybe nausea or dizziness?", she asked a whole bunch of questions, but Taehyung shook his head negatively to every. His only question was simple.

"What happened?"

The woman went silent, pressing her upper and lower lip together. Yoon Hye Jin left without word to say. You don't see that quite often.

However, that only made Taehyung more suspicious of the weight of the answer he was looking for. That's why he turned to Secretary Oh, who was looking just as worried as his Mother.

"Mr Oh?", he raised his eyes in expectation, seeing the man's eyes running away from meeting his, as he was hesitant.

Miss Yoon spoke after a few more moments of silence. "Your life was in critical condition for more than 12 hours, when they tried whatnot just to have you breathe in once. You've been asleep for roughly 48 hours, all because of that dirty fraud, Jung Seola. Or should I say... You know what, she's not even worth you knowing her real name. She tried to kill you after taking large sum of money from all our bank accounts."

Small wrinkles appeared on Taehyung's forehead. "Is she still in Seoul?"

"Of course not, she ran away as soon as she was done with you; the police is onto her already...", Yoon Hye Jin brushed one astray lock of black hair off her son's forehead. "Why was that phone call so important that you had to rush all the way to Incheon International Airport?"

The answer to her question came to his head immediately. That was also the answer that removed black hole from his memory - he received the call from Park Min Ho that Jiwoo was hurt in New York. Then he froze.

"How long was I here, again?", he looked up at his Mother, who was expecting answer to her question as well.

"Almost three full days", she answered.

Taehyung couldn't believe it. He couldn't have been asleep for so long - he wasn't allowed to be asleep for so long. Instead of being by Jiwoo's side, he was stuck in hospital for the past 72 hours. Who knows what happened during that time, if his wife was alive, if Detective revealed himself to his Father when they called the number dialed before he fainted. 

Not to mention, Jung Seola, or whoever that person really was, had him wrapped around her finger until the very end. Something was in that juice, he should've known. Where was his phobia in the most critic moment, to stop him from taking that bottle?

Panic spread through Taehyung's body, and he realized there was no time to waste. He raised himself off the hospital bed and pushed the blanket off. Ignoring the pain in his muscles, he grabbed the pants and white shirt from the nightstand and started to dress, when his Mother held him back by grabbing his wrist.

"Let me go, I need to go!", he pushed her away, but her grip remained strong.

"But where would you go when you just woke up? The doctors are supposed to walk in any moment now and..."

"Mom, you don't understand! I need to get to her as soon as possible or even more things will go wrong for all of us!", he finally freed himself, but another voice stopped every action.

"Where do you think you're going?!", rough baritone echoed.

Taehyung looked up to meet his Father's intense gaze, piercing right through his soul.

Kim Jung Woo walked up to his son and, without uttering a word, took the pants and the shirt from his hands.

"To the airport maybe? So you could meet who? The woman who nearly destroyed your life and half our business?!", he didn't hesitate to shout, even though his wife was giving him pleading look.

"Father, I assure you that I never knew about Seola's real intentions..."

However, Kim Fashion CEO cut him out. "The police is going to deal with the thief, that's what they're paid for. I'm talking about the one you married, who had you even more oblivious than you already were!"

"What does Jiwoo have to do with this?!", Taehyung snapped back when his Father hit the bull's eye.

"Oh, she's probably the most suspicious one. I knew from the very start that marriage was going to bring nothing but trouble. You let her hold your strings while thinking of the way to take as much money as possible, with the help of two minions, who just went along with the scenario!"

Kim Jung Woo spoke almost like he was spitting every word, and that's what made Taehyung angrier. He had no rights to claim any of those things without proofs.

"You'll never find out where she is...", Taehyung shook his head while frowning. "And even if you do, I'll make sure you can't even cross your stare with her, let alone lay hand on her!"

Kim Fashion's CEO looked down at the man in hospital bed sternly. His son was staring back with furious expression. Kim Jung Woo let then out a small "tsk" sound and approached the door. Grabbing the handle, he looked back one last time and spoke.

"I'd like to see you try... when you're limited to one room for the next seven days!"

Maybe it was because of his anger, but Taehyung didn't seem to take him seriously... during the first three hours. He realized the realness of the threat only when he saw two six feet tall men in black suits standing in front of his room, as still as statues. The first time he went to bathroom, another man followed him.

"What are you doing...?", Taehyung asked because the man held him back when he was about to shut the cabin door.

"Mr Kim ordered to never let you out of sight", the man explained without particular emotion on his face nor voice.

"But um...", Taehyung wanted to explain how he was about to use bathroom, but the man's eyes went somewhere above his head. Taehyung looked up and noticed his point of interest - square-shaped window.

***

"Son, why don't you just say you're sorry and end this pointless fight? Why do you have to be so stubborn every time you argue with your Father?", his Mother pleaded and asked him during one of the visits - only she was allowed to see him, but for limited time. Taehyung wasn't even sure how they got the permission from hospital to lock him up like a lab hamster.

A smile appeared on his face, though it was more sarcastic than satisfied.

"Isn't that what he taught me? To always stand behind my words and never give up my opinions!"

"That advice was directed to your enemies..."

"I know", he said as if it's obvious what he meant, which made his Mother wince and straighten her posture. Then she spoke to him in more serious tone.

"Listen here, young man. Jung Woo and I are too old to deal with your very late teen rebelion. You're either going to cooperate with us or..."

Yoon Hye Jin raised herself off the bed. When she started to walk away, Taehyung spoke.

"You didn't finish your sentence, Mother."

She turned around and looked at him somehow pitifully.

"I don't know what the hell that girl has done to you, but you're no longer the child I was once proud to call my son..."

Taehyung didn't bother looking at her. Little did she know, he was never going to be the same again.

For a while, it looked like there was no way out of that hell. He spent sleepless nights thinking about whether his Father has found Jiwoo's location, praying that he hasn't, but wanting to know where she is at the same time.

Kim Fashion building

Yo-Na cleared to get her CEO's attention. She's been standing next to the doorway for the past six minutes.

Finally noticing her presence, Kim Jung Woo raises his eyebrows.

"Miss Hwang", he greets her with smile. "What can I do for you?"

Yo-Na pursed her lips, thinking if she should change her mind and just walk away saying she forgot, but curiosity and worry were killing her. It's been five days since she's seen Taehyung at work, let alone spoke to him, and there was this gut she was getting from thinking about it.

"It may be rude, but... I was just wondering if everything's okay with Taehyung?", brunette finally breathes out, speaking her worries out loud. The change on her boss' face wasn't too obvious for an outsider, but Yo-Na's eye has caught a wrinkle that appeared on his forehead and a light, barely noticeable wince at the corner of his lips.

"He's in one piece", Kim Jung Woo replied indefinitely. To keep the conversation going, Yo-Na answered the unasked question.

"It's just, I haven't seen him at work in a while and he's not answering his phone, so I thought you might know... what's going on...", she spoke the last part slower on purpose, carefully looking out for reaction. However, all he did was shrug his shoulders.

"His Mother and I advised him to take a week off. After what happened with Jung Seola, it's best for him to stay out of reporters' reach."

News about fake identity of an angel-faced woman who scammed future CEO spread throughout the company as soon as fifteen minutes after Taehyung was found unconscious on Incheon International Airport. Women who envied her said how they all knew it was all going to come down to something like this, while men only sighed, saying how they never even liked her.

Seeing how she wasn't going to get more information, Yo-Na nodded and fake-smiled.

"I'll get going then..."

Just as she started to walk away, Kim Jung Woo called out her name. Yo-Na turned around.

"Weren't you the one who helped Taehyung when he was abroad?"

Raising her eyebrows a little, she carefully nod. The CEO looked like he was rethinking his decision for a few additional moments.

"If it's not too much to ask... I need you to help him one more time."

***

According to her boss, Taehyung was in room 216, but she would've found her way even without that information - tall men in black stood out even in crowded hallway. Yo-Na felt huge lump going down as she tried to imagine how long would it take them to break her bones if they have to.

Then she told herself there was nothing to be afraid of, because she came as Kim Jung Woo's ally. Finally, she approaches the guards and introduces herself. When they heard her name, two men let her pass without much thinking or, lucky for her, checking the book she was carrying.

When Yo-Na entered the spacious VIP room, Taehyung was sitting in bed and she didn't have to ask to know that he's only physically present, while his thoughts were thousands of miles away from her. Another evidence that he's been like this for a while were circles under his eyes.

"At least turn the TV on", Yo-Na noticed after staring at him for half a minute. Taehyung's worn out gaze turned to meet hers, bloodshot eyeballs widening in surprise. He looked like he was about to jump, but didn't have enough strength or will to do so.

"Otherwise they're going to think you're planning a runaway...", she tilted her head and smiled for a breif moment.

"I actually think he's keeping me here for different reasons. Like showing off his power and to see how much I can take imprisonment."

Yo-Na took a seat in a chair next to the bed. "Is it that tough?"

"I'm even being followed to bathroom... because of some window or whatever."

His tone was monotonous, as tired as his body and mind. It was as if he didn't mind starving to death or going crazy because of loneliness and silence he went through for the past five days.

"I'm going to sue him as soon as I'm out of here. I'll charge him for keeping me locked away against my own will. Hell, I'll even side with Busan TOP in court just to see him suffer!"

Brunette waited for him to finish raging out, but she grabbed his hand when he started last sentence. His palms were cold, compared to her, so she tightened her grip to warm them up.

"Taehyung... Is Jeon Jiwoo really that important? So important that your parents have you under constant watch just so that you won't run away and try to find her?"

To her surprise, Taehyung just shrugged.

"I'm not sure yet... How important that girl is, I mean. If you asked me that same question two years ago, I would tell you she's the one becauseI fell for her everything: walk, talk, smile, face, personality, you name it. But ever since the poisoning incident, I thought my feelings would burn out. However, the wish to win her heart only grew stronger."

Yo-Na smiled, this time less to assure him everything is fine, and more to herself.

Told you, small voice in her head said bitterly, but that didn't make her go off route she's already written down.

"To me that sounds more like a lover who wants a second chance than a man who isn't sure."

Taehyung nodded automatically, maybe he wasn't even listening, but she continued anyways.

"I thought you might be bored, so I brought you this book."

He looked at the blue covers and snickered. "Romeo and Juliet? Seriously?"

His friend gripped his hand significantly. "Never underestimate the power of Shakespeare and messages written between the lines."

Taehyung was about to open the book, but Yo-Na grabbed his wrist at the same moment.

"You should read it when I leave... Which is right about... now!", looking down on her wrist watch, she stood up, picked up her coat and rushed out before he could even pick up his head and shout after her to stop.

Yo-Na felt small tears form in her eyes as she walked away, but she only let them fall once she reached her car outside the hospital.

It's both amazing and horrifying how some people would go as far as letting the one they cherish go, just to see them smile.

Taehyung looked at the path Yo-Na took for a little longer, while his mind kept going back to her last words; she didn't mean to tell him that Shakespeare was a great writer, that was for sure.

He looks over at the door, just in case he was being monitored by gorillas, but luckily they had their backs turned to him. Taehyung then opens the book, both afraid and curious because of what he might see.

His gut wasn't wrong; there was a message right below the title on the first page. The handwriting was messy, but readable.

"Dear Tae Hyung,
if you're reading this, that means I visited you... how long ago?
that depends on when you open this book. it could be
2 minutes, or 2 hours... the sooner, the better.
originally, i was sent by your father, to try and
convince you to give up jiwoo and your marriage.
but i just couldn't bring myself to do it. i can't
watch you suffer like that, not after what
happened with jung seola.
instead, i decided to help you. i want to help you.
tomorrow at exactly 9 pm, you will be on board to
new york. all you have to do is be in
restroom at 8:20 and leave the rest to me. trust me.
and if you don't... well, i guess it's your decision.


p.s. oh yeah, if anyone asks, we fought
and i couldn't convince you.
h.y.n."

Taehyung read the message again and again, until every single word was carved in his mind. And then he smiled. He should've guessed that she never intended to hurt him, like she never did. That thought has brought him another worry: why was Hwang Yo-Na unconditionally by his side every time he was left alone?

The following twenty-four hours were painfully long, especially when green clock on the wall showed 8 pm. Taehyung turned the TV on, hoping it would shorten his waiting. He stared at news reporter on LED screen blankly while anxiousness washed over him in waves. What if Yo-Na's plan fails? Or worse, what if this was a trap, Kim Jung Woo's way of showing how weak will his son has?

Message flashed in front of his eyes. It's your decision...

But then again, what was there to lose, except his life?

It was 10 minutes past 8 when something on TV caught his eye. Two pictures of people he thought of the least since he woke up a week ago. One was Jung Seola and the other one was anonymous man he first saw on photographs, with his wife.

Immediately sitting up in bed, Taehyung turned the volume up, just on time to hear main part of the report.

"Police is still searching for Jeon So Min and Matthew Kim, suspected for multiple homicides that took place in small Manhattan square six days ago. The unusual and frightening crime scene left New York media and government shocked. Apparently, all victims were related to notorious chain of dealers who had connections all the way to Seoul, Beijing and, some even say, Pyongyang. Jeon and Kim were also part of this chain and, in addition, are on-run for scam related to multi-million dollar worth fashion company--"

Taehyung couldn't bare listening anymore, as rage was spreading throughout his body. If only he didn't leave Jiwoo in New York, none of this would've happened. That's why he had to reach her again, to see her one more time and apologize. It didn't matter if she was going to accept it, he wanted to make sure she was at least living. But the last thing he heard about his wife was that she was shot and brought to hospital.

Taehyung looked up moments before hands on the clock passed 20 minutes behind 8. Nearly jumping out of bed, he approached the door and pushed them to side, only to immediately be greeted by stone-cold stares of his guards.

"Don't you guys get sleep sometimes?", he tried not to sound nervous and obvious about his plans.

"We switch", the one on left side replied expressionlessly, while his colleague gave him a cold shoulder. Taehyung could feel their eyes on his back while walking to bathroom. Inside, another guard was waiting. Greeting him by nodding a little, his boss' son entered one of the cabins.

"You know, I've been thinking a lot lately, and I came to conclusion that I never got to know your name..."

Of course, there was silence on the other side, but talking was the only way for the guard to be sure that Taehyung was still in the cabin, so he often let him talk, even more often to himself.

There was suddenly a 'thud' sound and Taehyung froze (as if he wasn't already frozen, waiting for something to happen). He had a bad feeling and dared not to turn around until the cabin door swung open.

Before him was Yo-Na, dressed in trainers and a red hoodie. She pushed the hood off her brunette hair that was pulled back in a ponytail and smiled at her friend.

"Shall we?"

"Poison."

"Excuse me?", Taehyung said when Yo-Na started the vehicle and rushed down the road in full speed.

"I shot the guards with poison arrows. Don't worry, though, they're used by zoo employees when they want to narcotize animals. The three of them are going to be asleep for an hour, if we're lucky enough."

He wondered how in the world was she able to handle a gun and where she got those poisonous shots. At the same time, he knew it was better if some things were left unsaid.

"There are clean clothes on the backseat, you should put them on before we get to the airport."

When she stopped on red light, Taehyung went to the back of the car and changed into clothes that Yo-Na mentioned, consisting of white shirt, blue jeans, a pair of socks and shoes which seemed to be his size.

"Listen carefully. The backpack next to you is very important part of the plan. Inside you'll find information crucial for past 7 days: about people who scammed you, their little clan, possible current location and plan that included you and Jiwoo as main victims."

Taehyung looked at the brown-leather bag next to him with big lump in his throat and wondered if he has enough strength to open it.

Twenty minutes later, the vehicle stopped in front of Incheon International Airport's main entrance. Yo-Na seemed cautious as she checked twice before rushing him to exit.

Right when she turned the engine on, Taehyung turned around and called out her name.

"Why are you doing this?", he finally asks. Hwang Yo-Na smiles indefinitely.

"You'll find out once you're up in the sky."

She was so fast to go back on the road that all Taehyung could do was stare at the car with puzzled expression.

There weren't any major problems with boarding, and although he was in economic class, there weren't many people on flight. He dared to open the backpack when ringing alerted him, and other passengers started giving him looks when he didn't react to the sound. On top of the pile pushed inside, he found a phone - basic Nokia with keyboard. Something told him the unknown number could belong to one person only.

And he was right. Yo-Na started talking before he even got to say a word.

"I didn't want my reply to hold you back, because I knew you would feel guilty. That's why I didn't answer your question right away."

Taehyung was afraid of where this was going. What was she going to say? That she has incurable illness? That this was all a set-up? No words came out his mouth while his friend was taking a deep breath on the other side.

"The reason why I helped you... is also the reason why I have always been on your side, no matter the situation or weight of responsibility."

There was another intense pause before she continued. It seemed like both of them were scared to speak any further, but Yo-Na knew, deep inside, that she'd have to come clean one day.

"It's because I'm in love with you. In fact, I've always been. Ever since we met on that party, I couldn't get you out of my heart and mind. I've tried, countless times, and I've tried even harder when you told me about her."

She didn't have to say the name for him to know who is her referred to. And Yo-Na was right. He did feel guilty, as if it was something he could've controlled. Finally, he speaks.

"Why didn't you tell me?", but her answer was obvious.

"Because it wouldn't have changed anything at all. Tell me, do you feel something other than that big lump in your throat? Something... special?"

Once again, she was right. The feeling inside his chest that spread down to his stomach was too uncomfortable to be outcome of positive emotions.

"When you arrive, a man will be waiting for you in gray Mercedes. He's going to take you to Downtown Manhattan Hospital, and after that you're going to the place I rented for a while on my name."

"The place you rented...?", Taehyung was confused by new information.

"Taehyung, Seoul is no longer safe for you. You should not step a foot in this country until your Father starts to get along with the fact that you can love and be with whoever you want. That is, of course, if he ever starts to get along..."

Those words caused him to feel some kind of excitement, mixed with anxiety. What was he going to see in Downtown Manhattan Hospital? Who's going to wait for him at the airport, and how did Yo-Na get everything organized in such a short amount of time?

The last one, however, shouldn't be a mystery, as she is well-known for great skills when it comes to fixing schedules and setting appointments to whenever her company is fit.

Taehyung wondered if she was going to keep working at Kim Fashion after this slight incident.

"Stay safe... and please, watch out for each other from now on."

"Yo-Na... Thank you."

"That's what are friends for", she replies and for some reason, Taehyung could imagine her smiling sadly as she spoke those words.

Not even 10 seconds later, crash sound fills his ears and the line is suddenly cut.

***

It was early morning when the airplane landed on JFK Airport. Taehyung couldn't get his mind off the last sound he heard on phone, before air hostess asked him to turn off his mobile device until they land. But as soon as he stepped foot outside, Jiwoo was once again all he could think about. After doing the regular check up at the airport, the one needed when you arrive to foreign land. His tourist English was above average, so he had no problems finding his way out. He started looking for a car Yo-Na described, when familiar face attracted his attention.

It was none other but Detective Park Min Ho, leaning on gray Mercedes, crossing his eyes with Taehyung's. He raised a hand, as if to signal him that's it's safe to approach him. Detective looked healthier than usually, his beard was gone and he finally changed from blue shirt to red one. Dark circles were still rounding his eyes, but it was something one detective couldn't go without, whether in movies, books or reality.

"You're the one Yo-Na told me will be waiting for me?", Taehyung wanted to assure, even though it was obvious. 

Park Min Ho opened door on the driver's side, and only then spoke. "Let's go before you change your mind."

Detective watched Taehyung carefully placing the backpack on the backseat before he went back to the passenger's side through the rearview mirror.

"Have you read the files during your flight?", he asked once the engine was started and they were riding down the road.

His passenger nodded, some sort of sorrow placed in his voice, but that sorrow didn't mean he was ready to forgive the two frauds, Matthew Kim and Jeon Somin.

"Their destinies were unfortunate. However, that does not justify their reasons for scamming us. I don't mind getting hurt or even robbed, but the fact that Jiwoo was involved and she even...", he couldn't bring himself to say the words, "I'm going to find him, wherever he may be. If he runs, I'll run faster. If he swims, I'll drown him. If he tries to fly, I'm going to break his wings and make him pay for what he did!"

Park Min Ho's voice stopped his rage outburst.

"It wasn't Matthew Kim who shot her."

"Then who was it?! I want their name, location and your gun."

There was a deep sigh before he got a reply.

"Jonathan Smith and Harry Scott. The two got eliminated not long after Ms. Jeon took a shot. Scott's fingerprint fits the one found on the gun that was used to hurt your wife, which leaves Kim innocent.. That was until the next day, of course."

Taehyung didn't have to ask him to continue, as detective was just taking a breath before speaking again.

"Ten killed, seven in critical condition for the past six days, three awake who can't remember a thing that happened due to trauma that may haunt them with PTSD for a while... It's hard to believe how such gruesome crime could've been done by only two people. The police thinks they had someone help them from the inside, but it's just a plain guess.
Not to mention that the two of them have dissolved into thin air after that, carrying around 2 million dollars, probably in cash."

Taehyung would've expressed his amazement with Detective's skills for gathering important information, if he wasn't so tensed up because of what was waiting for him.

"I just want you to know that I've never left Ms. Jeon's side, just as you asked me to. I spent night and day in hospital for a full week, and I'm going to tell you, Mr Kim. She's a very strong woman, both physically and mentally. You can't even imagine the amount of surgeries she had to undergo, unconscious and dehydrated. The hospital staff is very careful around her and they're all doing their best at making sure she gets better soon."

"Detective, I can't express the amount of gratitude I'm feeling right now. How can I ever repay you?", Taehyung spoke so fast that a few words were stuttered, but he was honest. Help came like a bolt from the sky, in the most turbulent and unexpected way he could imagine.

"Maybe by staying with Ms. Jeon as long as you both shall live, because I'm tired of running around and giving you reports on what she's doing and where she's going."

Both of them laughed at the last remark, lowering tension in car a little. Taehyung didn't even notice how much time has passed before the vehicle stopped in front of well-known white building - he was admitted to that same hospital two months ago.

"She's in room 325 on the 2nd floor. If you can't find the right hallway, ask anyone to lead you. It's around this time that she receives her first therapy for the day, so you might be asked to wait outside. I'm sure they're going to understand your wish to see her before visit time if you introduce yourself properly."

"You're not coming along?", Taehyung would've felt more secure if there was familiar face next to him, but Park Min Ho shook his head negatively.

"I have to make one phone call, but I'll be waiting for you so I can take you to your temporary place to stay at."

Taehyung moaned and made annoyed face. "Do I really need to go there?"

"Ms. Hwang's instructions were very clear."

After arguing for a bit, younger man had to give up his hopes for staying by Jiwoo's side all day (because some hospitals have no understanding even if for partners and family). Detective followed him with his gaze until he entered the hospital and then proceeded to pick up his phone and dial a number.

Hwang Yo-Na reached him yesterday night, pleading for his help. She promised to make sure his number never reaches Taehyung's Father, but it only took an explanation of problem for Detective to accept offer and help out a couple in love. He never left Jiwoo alone for longer than 2 hours, fearing Matthew, or someone from the clan would come for their revenge, but they never did. All of the known members from New York were gathered at the funeral of their leader, Kevin Kang, and all of them fell as victims to Jeon Somin and her partner, whether just in crime or also in love life.

Yo-Na and he got along pretty well over the phone, they quickly reached the cheapest flight company and found an apartment for relatively small amount of cash. If Jiwoo and Taehyung were to stay in that apartment for a while - which both helpers somehow knew would happen - Yo-Na would immediately transfer a year worth of staying in that place, without the two knowing.

They were supposed to inform each other about progress once Taehyung left the car, but Yo-Na wasn't picking up.

***

Taehyung roamed around the building in hopes of finding stairs or an elevator, until a nurse asked him if he's looking for a family member or a friend. When he explained it was about his wife, and then mention her name is Jiwoo Jeon, the nurse's eyes widened and she immediately offered to lead him to her room - or ordered him to follow her.

After they climbed the stairs to 2nd floor, the nurse told him Jiwoo's room is at the end of the hallway.

"Miss Jeon is asleep and under very strong medication, so she cannot really hear you, but please refrain from talking or making any noises that might disturb her."

Though he was annoyed by this woman, Taehyung nodded, because he was only a few feet away from seeing his wife after two months of separation that he caused on purpose.

With that, the nurse finally opened the door and entered as quietly as possible, followed by excited but also disturbed Taehyung.

The inside of the room was dark, some sunrays still passing through tiny crack between closed maroon curtains. The lights were low and cold, but what immediately captured Taehyung's focus was the person laying in only bed in the room. His mouth opened like he was about to say something, but his breathing pattern stopped for nearly 5 seconds.

She was almost unrecognizable, as if he left one person in New York and came back to find entirely different woman. The only part of her body, other than her face, that wasn't under the blanket was arm that was connected to infusion stall by the bed and Taehyung could see not only how pale she was, but also how thin she'd gotten. Her cheekbones were twice as expressed and her face looked like she went through unbearable amount of struggle because all energy seemed to be out of her.
He had to remind himself that she's just asleep because of how calm she was, he couldn't even see her chest raise and fall continuously.

"Mr Kim, may I talk to you outside for a second?", the nurse's voice made him snap back and lose his train of thought. He looked down at her, confused, and only managed to nod his head automatically. It was hard for him to leave Jiwoo for even that second the nurse has asked him for, but he reminded himself that he finally found her.

"By the look on your face, I can tell that you haven't been informed about her health status, or maybe even her location for the past seven days. And don't get me wrong, I don't want to know why, but I thought maybe I should be the one to... let you know how much she's been through during this period."

Before he could react, she continued.

"Miss Jeon was admitted here late at night a week ago. She lost a lot of blood on her way to the hospital due to a shot she got in abdomen area, but we managed to get her out of that crisis by the dawn. But, you see, it's not the shot that has her in this condition. The problem enlarged when we discovered a brain tumor located in very risky part of her head. The surgeons realized that, in case it's not removed during the next 24 hours, there was low chance of Miss Jeon waking up again.
The decision was brought by one of the neurosurgeons, who happens to be the best of his class in entire hospital. He decided to grab the devil by his horns and in next 12 hours he never left the operating room, along with his team that I was part of. He nearly failed three times, but succeeded to remove it after all. We had Miss Jeon in coma for four days, during which we ran numerous tests and got mixed results, but she woke up on her own.
Did you know that she was, perhaps, starving herself? Or how her dehydration almost leaded to total collapse during her arrival?"

After that, the nurse told him that he should be careful because his wife may appear upset or she may not remember his name and face, all due to trauma. Taehyung accepted her advises and said he's going to sit by Jiwoo for a few more minutes.

It was painful, going back into that room and staring at her worn out face. It once again reminded him how cruel the decision to leave her all alone was. He was blinded by anger and hate back then, telling her he never wants to see her again. And god knows how bad she'd taken it, to start starving herself and struggle in quiet, without anyone acknowledging her illness. With painful thoughts, he gently lifts her palm, as light as feather, and places it on his bigger and warmer one.

"I should've sat you down the day I woke up and asked you why you did what you did. No shouting, swearing at each other, just... listening to you and trying to confront you, like any good husband would. I just couldn't accept the fact that the one I've loved for six years was ready to poison me to death. But I never actually considered your emotions, not for once; when I proposed, when I met you, on our wedding day. You were so sad on that January morning that I should've wondered if what I'm doing was right. Your life would've been a whole lot better if it wasn't for my selfishness."

If he could turn back time, he would've went back to the day he saw her for the first time and slapped the thoughts of four years younger high school student out of his head. He wondered how many times did she cry on the bedroom floor, thinking that he's asleep in the next room and that he couldn't hear.

But if he can't fix the past, he wanted to make sure that the future never goes wrong. If Jiwoo asks for divorce, he's going to do it without second thought. If she wants to tell him what's been on her mind for the past two years, he's going to spend eternity listening to her soft voice and receiving a slap at the end of the story. Anything that could possibly make her happier and her life easier, he was ready to do it.

Taehyung's thoughts went to some time ago, when she called him and drunkenly told him how much she missed him. Part of him wanted to say I love you too, to explain how much he's been missing her presence for much longer than just weeks, but the irrational, jealous side won over and he snapped at her, calling her two-faced and attention seeker. Her last sentence was the strangest.

"Taehyung, do you know that I have...", she stopped in the middle.

"What?!", he shouted, angered enough.

"... great desire to hug you!"

Taehyung looked at calm face before him once again.

"You... were about to tell me, right? About the illness... But I wasn't willing to listen because all I've ever thought about was myself."

Finally, his voice cracks and tears start streaming down his cheeks uncontrollably as he sobs. It seemed like those were the tears portraying emotions that he bottled up for the past 2 months and pushed away with appearance of unknown woman who turned out to be a scam. He cursed himself for being so naive and trusting people too much.

"I just can't live without you... I can't take a single day without you by my side!", he sniffed and sobbed, talking to asleep Jiwoo, not caring if she heard him or not, he just needed to get it out of his system. "Every breath I've breathed for the past week was for you. And if you leave me now, or express desire never to see me again, I might just die. We still haven't gotten to know each other well, so if you'd just give me a chance to make myself worth your time... I love you like I'm never going to love again, Jeon Jiwoo!"

Despite being told not to speak, Taehyung poured his heart out, placing it on his very sleeve, ready to give it to the one he loved that laid so helplessly in front of him. He lowered his head and shut his eyes, praying silently, still grasping her hand like there's no tomorrow, like that'd warm up her cold fingers.

In one particular moment, time has lost meaning and it seemed like everything stopped, just for the two of them. Which may be the reason why he could feel cold fingers wincing for barely a second, making him raise his head in shock. The wincing repeated, this time the fingers grabbed his palm weakly. Taehyung forgot how to breathe as he waited for another signal.

He watched her lashes flutter a few times, before her eyelids opened, uncovering two dark pearls that stared right back at him.

T H E   E N D