PAST......

JOURNEY TO HAPPINESS

 

CHAP 30: PAST……

 

 

Kevin looked at Jaeseop confusedly. Wasn’t today Sunday? Normally Jaeseop would get ready to go to work with Kiseop. But now the other boy was lying comfortably on his bed reading some magazines.

“Jae, don’t you go to work today?” Kevin asked not being able to contain his curiosity.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you that I have a day off today.” Jaeseop answered taking his eyes off of the magazine.

“That means Kiseop won’t go to work either, doesn’t it?” Kevin asked to reassure.

“Of course.” Jaeseop said nonchalantly.

“What are you going to do?” Kevin queried.

“Nothing really.” Jaeseop replied after digging in his memory to search for anything to do.

“Why don’t we go to Kiseop’s house? I haven’t been there.” Kevin exclaimed excitedly. There was barely a chance like this. He should take advantage of it.

“That sounds good since it’s been a while since the last time I visited his house.” Jaeseop agreed immediately.

“You go get ready. I’ll call my driver.” Jaeseop continued.

“Okay. You need to get ready too.” Kevin reminded his friend.

 

 

Afterwards, Kevin went to the bathroom to take a shower and change his clothes. Meanwhile, Jaeseop took out his phone to make a phone call to the driver of his family. However before he could make it, his phone vibrated in his hand.

“Morning, umma.” Jaeseop greeted as he saw the number on his phone screen.

“You don’t go to work today, do you?” Jaeseop’s mother asked hurriedly.

“Umma, you haven’t greeted me yet. And yeah, I don’t have to work today.” Jaeseop answered calmly.

“Oh, sorry. Good morning, dear. I have prepared something for you today. Therefore you must go home now.” she announced flatly.

“But I have another plan with my friends.” Jaeseop whined.

“Please, Jaeseop. I have been longing for a day you come home for too long.” She insisted with her best pitiful voice.

“Umma…” Jaeseop didn’t manage to let out any other words since what she said was right. He hadn’t been home for months now. But this was the first time Kevin had ever been to Kiseop’s place and he was really excited. How could he turn Kevin down now?

“Please…” she continued knowing her son was still thinking for another excuse.

“Alright. Wait for me.” Jaeseop unwillingly accepted. He had to think of an explanation to his roommate now.

 

 

Kevin got out of the bathroom after finishing his preparation. He was wearing a short-sleeved great shirt and a pair of black jeans. Although the clothing wasn’t anything impressed, Kevin’s beauty wasn’t reduced a bit, especially when he was putting on a sweet smile that could melt many people’s hearts.

“Jae, is this too normal? Should I change into more formal clothes?” Kevin asked chewing his lower lip nervously. Obviously he was looking forward to this a lot. What was more? His adorable image now only made it harder for Jaeseop to explain the other.

“Um… Kev… I’m sorry…” Jaeseop started nervously.

“For what?” Kevin asked. Confusion was written over his face.

“I can’t go to Kiseop’s house today.” Jaeseop said directly.

“Why?” Kevin asked disappointedly.

“My mother forced me to go home now.” Jaeseop answered honestly because it was the best way he could think of.

“Uh… It’s fine.” Kevin said in a heartbroken tone.

“I’m really sorry.” Jaeseop apologized again.

“Don’t worry. But since I moved here, you haven’t gone home, have you?” Kevin asked after pondering on something.

“Yeah.” Jaeseop admitted.

“Then quickly go home. Your parents must miss you a lot.” Kevin urged. Jaeseop was the only child they had now. So he was probably their biggest concern. In this case, Jaeseop was such a bad son.

“Don’t you mind staying alone all day? Because every time I go home, my parents only let me go back to school the next morning.” Jaeseop said hesitantly.

“Why should I stay here all day?” Kevin said confidently as a brilliant idea popped in his head.

“What are you planning to do?” Jaeseop asked.

“Give me Kiseop’s address. I’ll go there alone.” Kevin brought out his thought.

“How can you do that?” Jaeseop asked worriedly. Why could Kevin think of another plan that quickly? This boy, he had so many things in his mind that Jaeseop still couldn’t understand.

“Why can’t I? I have my legs and mouth. I believe that I can do anything a normal person can do.” Kevin replied challengingly.

“Don’t you know that Kiseop’s house is really far from here and the way there is pretty difficult and dangerous.” Jaeseop said raising his voice.

“Kiseop can do. So I can do. Maybe I’ll need more attempts.” Kevin said reassuringly.

“Alright, I’ll give you his address.” Jaeseop gave in knowing that it was no use in trying to convince Kevin now.

“Thank you.” Kevin smiled brightly.

Jaeseop took out his phone to check for Kiseop’s address. To be honest, he just knew the way to get there. He couldn’t remember the address exactly since Kiseop’s house was in an almost unknown area.

“Here you are. Be careful.” Jaeseop said handing Kevin the piece of paper he used to write the address.

“Okay. Don’t worry about me too much. I’m at the same age with you!” Kevin pouted.

“Have a great day with your family.” Kevin greeted heading out the room.

Jaeseop let out a sigh. Kevin was always so stubborn. He wouldn’t give up until he got what he wanted. A good thing was that he always took control of the whole situations he was in.

 

 

Jogging down the street, Kevin looked at the paper in his hand. He hadn’t been out recently so the address was totally strange to him. If he wanted to get to Kiseop’s house, the only way is to ask for help from passer-bys. Not hesitating for a second, he began to carry out his thought. He hadn’t done this before since he always travelled by car with his own driver. The experience was really new, yet interesting. Each person had their own way to show him. A girl might answer him happily. A boy might answer as well but in an annoying way. A couple might ignore him completely. He hadn’t interacted with many people so he had to take advantage of this opportunity as much as he could. He was really shy and awkward at first. But after many times, he had learned that asking with a bright face and thanking gratefully even they didn’t want to answer or even answer was the best solution to get some help. The exciting feeling somehow made him forget the tiredness for walking too much.   

 

 

Kiseop had just got out of a food store to buy his mother breakfast. Normally he couldn’t do this since he always had to go to school or to work early. He was really happy that he was able to do that today. Looking in the front, he caught sight of a familiar figure. It was a tall slim boy with a pretty face. Was that Kevin? What was he doing here? Kiseop thought to himself. Staring at the boy for a little more, he came up with a conclusion that it was definitely Kevin and he was asking for direction.

After going after the younger boy for a while, Kiseop felt something really familiar. The direction Kevin was going, isn’t it the way to his house? So Kevin must be going to Kiseop’s house, mustn’t him? That meant he had to walk for a really long distance. Why did he do this? He didn’t even know the way there. What if he got lost? He wouldn’t get lost since he was instantly asking for way. Kevin had grown up more. The first time Kiseop met him, he was crying because of getting lost! But what if he met bad people? He was too weak to fight back. This was too dangerous for Kevin! Being worried, Kiseop decided to follow to protect Kevin. He walked a few meters away from Kevin so that he could keep track of Kevin and the other couldn’t recognize him.

 

The neighborhood where Kiseop was living was a very complicated area. There weren’t many people living there. Most of them weren’t really kind people. Their poverty led them to many bad manners and works. Kiseop didn’t blame or judge them. But it was just he was worried about his friends’ safety when they visited him.

 

 

Kevin turned to a deserted alley as a girl told him.

“Excuse me, could you please show me the way to get to this place?” Kevin politely asked a strange man.

“Follow me. I’ll show you.” The man said. His eyes look so dark and fishy.

“Thanks a lot. But I can manage myself now.” Kevin carefully refused. He was smart enough to realize that man was a bad person.

“Why? I’d really love to help you. Come with me.” the man said eagerly.

“No. Thank you.” Kevin replied his heels to leave the other man.

Soon he was stopped by the twist as the man held him back and started to drag him somewhere.    

“What are you doing? Let me go!” Kevin yelled out loud.

The man, of course, didn’t comply. He pinned Kevin to the wall harshly and was about to kiss the young boy. As Kiseop was going to rescue him, Kevin had already managed that himself. He raised his leg then kicked in the sensitive spot of the strange man making him scream in pain. Taking advantage of the inattention of the other, Kevin quickly got out of his hold and ran away. Surprisingly he even gave the man a challenging face after running for a while.

Kiseop, watching the scene, couldn’t help but frown then chuckle.  When did Kevin become that strong? When did he know how to protect himself? Being a son of a dignified family, he should have been taken care of all the times, shouldn’t him? In Kiseop’s knowledge, someone like Kevin was really delicate. He agreed that the boy was a determined person. However the fact that there was something really serious that made him change a lot had happened to Kevin was undeniable. Kiseop wanted to know about it so badly but since Kevin wasn’t ready, he couldn’t force his friend.

Watching Kevin completely escape, Kiseop pleasingly watched the boy leaving. Kevin has grown up and known how to deal with many things. Suddenly Kiseop’s mind went back to his own situation. He had to go home to give his mother breakfast immediately. Thinking that, he started to run as fast as he could to his house forgetting about Kevin completely.

 

Kiseop opened the door to his house which was small but really neat. He caught sight of his mother who was cleaning the window.

“Mom, I’m home.” He called to draw his mother’s attention.

“Oh, what do you buy me today?” she asked sweetly.

“Just some soup and hot coffee.” He answered cheerfully. He really wanted to buy something more special and nourish but he couldn’t afford.

“Good boy. I love that.” she complimented then received the bags from her son’s hands.

“Let’s go eat, mom.” He said starting to set the table.

 

 

 

*knock* *knock* *knock*

 

“Let me.” Kiseop quickly said standing up from his seat.

Running fast to the door, he opened it and got shocked right that moment.

“Kevin?” he asked shaking his head.

“Oh, hello Kiseop hyung. This is your home, isn’t it?” Kevin asked after letting out a relieved sigh.

“Kevin, what are you doing here?” Kiseop asked still taken aback by Kevin’s appearance.

“When did you become this impolite?” Kevin asked back raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I am so surprised. Come in.” Kiseop apologized opening the door wide to let the other in.

“Don’t apologize. I’m just kidding.” Kevin said chuckling at Kiseop’s clumsiness.

Kevin stepped in slowly taking a quick glance throughout the house.

“Is that your mom?” Kevin asked as he saw a woman’s figure.

“Oh, let me introduce.” Kiseop said smiling gently.

As soon as they reached the kitchen, Kiseop’s mother had already cleared the table and was about to greet them.

“Mom, this is Kevin, my friend.” Kiseop told his mother.

“Kevin, this is my mother.” He continued.

“Good morning, Mrs.” Kevin greeted politely bowing 45 degree.

“Morning.” The woman greeted back cheerfully.

“Kiseop, take your time with Kevin. I’ll go out for a while.” She turned to Kiseop and announced.

“I’m so sorry that I can’t talk with you more, Kevin.” she apologized to the little boy.

“Oh, I should be the one to apologize for coming all of a sudden like this.” Being a well-mannered kid, Kevin politely answered back.

“You’re such a good boy.” Kiseop’s mother complimented.

“Thank you. Kiseop is much better than me.” Kevin said then smiled gently keeping his head low.

“Really? Why don’t I feel the same?” she joked laughing half-heartedly.

“It’s time to go. Bye you two. Have a great day.” She said quickly heading out the house after putting on her jacket.

“Goodbye.” Kiseop and Kevin called after at the same time.

 

 

Kiseop led Kevin to the only sofa in the living room and told him to sit down.

“What would you like to drink?” Kiseop asked.

“What do you have?” Kevin asked back directly.

“I only have water and tea.” Kiseop answered scratching the back of his head awkwardly. Honestly his home didn’t have many things to serve their guests or even themselves.

“Water is fine.” Kevin replied with a reassuring smile.

“Wait a second.” Kiseop said then ran to the kitchen.

Not long later, he reappeared with two cups of water in his hands. Handing Kevin one, he sat down next to the younger boy.

“I didn’t think that you were coming to my house.” Kiseop said laughing a little.

“What do you mean by ‘were’?” Kevin asked cocking his eyebrows.

“I saw you on the street this morning.” Kiseop answered honestly.

“Really? Where?” Kevin said widening his eyes.

“Where you were in danger.” Kiseop blurted out smiling.

“Why are you smiling? You should have come rescue me!” Kevin winced punching the other’s shoulder naughtily.

“Ouch. You are strong enough to hurt me, see? You no longer need anyone to help you.” Kiseop pretended to be in pain rubbing the area being hit.

“I won’t take it as a compliment.” Kevin said dropping his face.

“I was surprised. You handled that well.” Kiseop said sipping his cup of water.

“But don’t worry, Kev. Remember that I will always stand by your side to protect you.” Kiseop said gently hanging his hand low for being a little embarrassed.

“Thank you.” Kevin mumbled.

An awkward silence gradually filled the room as they just sat there and drank their water. Kiseop shifted uncomfortably on his seat trying to find something to talk. As he wished, an idea suddenly popped in his head.

“Kev, you haven’t answered my first question.” Kiseop said breaking the silence.

“Ah, I just come here to visit you. Isn’t it ok?” Kevin asked tilting his head.

“Of course not. It is just a little strange.” Kiseop answered waving his hand slightly.

“Um… actually…” Kevin started.

“I come here today for another reason.” He continued.

“You remembered when you made me talk again, didn’t you? I told you that when I was ready, I would tell you the reason why I acted that way. I think I’m ready now.” Kevin said. His voice wasn’t steady like it usually was because of nervousness.

Kiseop’s eyes widened at those words. He almost couldn’t believe that. He didn’t expect Kevin to tell him about it that soon when Kiseop himself was still struggling whether to convince Kevin to spit it out or not.

“Are you really ready to tell me?” Kiseop asked feeling nervous himself.

“I think so. I don’t want to hide so many things from you and Jaeseop when you two have told me almost everything about your lives.” Kevin said.

“It’s just we want to.” Kiseop smiled reassuringly.

“And now I want to.” Kevin laughed halfheartedly.

“That’s all I need. If you really want to, I’m willing to hear.” Kiseop replied seriously. Moving closer to Kevin, he took Kevin’s hand in his.

“Just remember that I am always by your side.” He said.

A smile was formed on Kevin’s lips before he started his story. He told Kiseop everything from the day he knew about his origin, how he dealt with it, how he hurt himself and even the blame he had on Kiseop to his almost mental death, how Jaeseop and Kiseop had affected him when he went to school and finally how he felt alive again.

Kiseop listened to the latter intently not missing a word. He couldn’t believe that Kevin had suffered so many terrible things. Moreover he couldn’t think that he had that much effect on the boy. He should have come back. If he had ignored all the difficulties to run to Kevin, things would have been better. But he was too afraid to put his life at risk again, too selfish to leave his pride behind and to be thrown out by rich people again and too passive to run to someone valuable instead of waiting which he had been doing for all those years. It was mainly his fault in making Kevin suffer that much. However explanations seemed to be useless and they just proved how pitiful and foolish he was now. There was no need to do so. What he must do was to fix his mistake which meant from now on he would always protect and take care of Kevin well.

Kevin took a deep breath then ended his story with a smile since he was pretty satisfied that he now had Kiseop and Jaeseop around all the time. Somehow he felt a little proud of himself for gathering enough courage to extend his heart and reveal all his secrets to someone special. He knew that soon Jaeseop would know everything about him soon since they were best friends now. Maybe Kiseop and he were going to tell Jaeseop about his past tomorrow. It wasn’t important much because it was an obvious fact that Jaeseop wouldn’t mind anything that was involved in Kiseop and Kevin.

Kiseop immediately hugged the latter in his chest. No words were heard. There were just the sounds of their heartbeats, their breaths and the friction between Kiseop’s hand and Kevin’s jacket as the older boy was rubbing the other’s back. Kiseop appeared to hold Kevin as tightly as possible so that he could transfer his determination and feelings to the boy who was comfortably enjoy the warmth in his embrace at the moment.

Everything was the past. And the past, let it just be the past. Live fully for the present…                    

 

 

A/N: I'M BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANYONE HAPPY?????????????

SORRY FOR MAKING YOU GUYS WAIT THAT LONG *BOW 90 DEGREE*

BUT PLEASE UNDERSTAND MY SITUATION PLEASE~~~~~~

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS CHAP??? IS IT BAD SINCE I AM NOT REALLY SATISFIED WITH IT MUCH TTT^TTT

PLEASE TELL ME!!!! IT'S BEEN REALLY LONG SINCE I READ A COMMENT ^__^

 

HOPE YOU ENJOY READING AND PLZ COMMENT!!!!!!!

KEEP SUPPORTING UKISS <333333333333