Day Off

50/50

Finally, an alone time. I've waited for this. This week does not feel so stressful but my soul is craving for an alone time.

I'm sitting on my favorite cafe with some bagels and coffee on the table while reading a novel on a one fine day.

I inhaled deeply, absorbing the mixed smell of the baked goods and coffee. I love this smell, it's relaxing. It makes me calm.

While I was reading the book that I've brought, a shadow blocked the sunlight, causing slight darkness on the book "Doctor Hwang?" a familiar voice said, I looked up and I saw her.

"Taeyeon?" I said. I thought it's my day off. No patients. No anything related to work.

"Hi" she greeted "are you alone?" She asked
I nodded "you can accompany me if you want" I said. Maintaining my professionalism even outside. I just hope that this meeting would not turn into a session. It's my freaking day off.

"Thanks" she sat the vacant chair across me "why are you alone?" She asked.

"Just an alone time on my day off" I answered. Her expression turned into a guilty one.

"Oh I'm sorry. I could go if-" she said before attempting to stand up

I stopped her "no, it's fine." Is this de javu?
"Are you sure?"
"A hundred percent yes" I immitated what she said a few days ago. She smiled and sat down again.

"So" I took a sip on my coffee "what brings you here?"

"Just bought some bagels" she showed the paper bag that contains the bagels "the bagels here are sooooo good" she added. I smiled. Yes, it's perfect. That's why it's my favorite.

"I think I really should be going right now" she suddenly said "it's your day off. Running through your patient on your day of is a bummer right?" She joked.

"It is" I joked back. I saw her pout. Cute. "but it's fine. Just dont act like a patient. Act like a friend"

She smiled. Damn. Her smile is contagious. You just cant help to smile back when she does. Like I've said, it's warm. Especially when her chin dimple is visible.

"So, what should I call you?" She asked. "You dont want me to act like a patient, so I should not call you as 'doc'" she's right. If she calls me doctor or doc, I really wont enjoy my day off. We just need to be more formal.. casual.

"Tiffany" she suddenly said.

"What?"
"Is it okay if I call you by your first name?" She asked cutely. Like we just met. I nodded
"Tiffany" she said again. Hearing my name with her voice is actually...attractive. My name never sounded so charming. This person...this person is...

My thoughts were interrupted when I saw an ice cream truck just across the street. My eyes followed the truck, Taeyeon looked too.
"You like ice cream?" She asked. I nodded, like a kid who was asked if they want ice cream.
"The truck's color is cute too" I suddenly said
"You like pink?" Her question made me look at her. Her eyes widened in shock. Maybe scared of the sudden action. "I LOVE it" I answer, emphasizing the word love. Pink is my favorite color. It's MY color. She just smiled. Could you please stop smiling?

"Where are you gonna go next?" She suddenly asked.
"Hmm.. I dont really know" I answered.
"Oh"
"Wanna go for a walk?" I suggested.
"That would be nice." She answered with a smile.
I swear, if she keeps smiling like that, I'm gonna punch her in the face.

***


"What do you usually do on your day off?" She asked while we're walking under the cherry blossom trees. The cold wind blowing our hair.

"Day off is my alone time" I claimed.
"Well obviously, this is not your alone time" she said. I remained quiet for a while, not saying anything to make her feel guilty "I'm sorry" she suddenly said "I shouldn't be bothering you."

"It's fine." I answered. It is. Nothing wrong with being accompanied by someone. And tomorrow is Sunday, I can still have time for my self. "Are you really sure that it's fine?" She asked. I nodded with a smile. Stubborn kid.

"So, since we're not at your office" she suddenly said "and we're not having a session, is it okay if I ask you a few things?"
"Why?"
"I want to know you too." She answered "we're friends, right? Well, when we're outside" I secretly blushed. This is such a weird feeling, being friends with a patient. Going out with a patient. Wait, going out? I mean hanging out with a patient, not going out.

"Doc-Tiffany?" She waved her hand to my face. My thoughts ate me again. "Is it okay? But if you don't want to I und-" I cut her off

"What's wrong with getting to know someone? Of course it's okay" I answered, she smiled.

We continued walking on the pathway of never ending cherry blossom trees. It will be tiring if we continue walking while talking. I saw a vacant spot, a vacant tree to be exact. "Let's sit there" I suggested, pointing to the direction where I saw an unoccupied space.

~

"Ask me anything you want" I said after we settled down. The grass feels nice. It's not pointy and itchy. Plus the wind feels great, and the sight of cherry blossom petals falling from the trees are amusing.

Suddenly, a petal from the tree that we're sitting under at fell on Taeyeon's lap. Suprisingly, she picked it up and stared at it for a while. "Beautiful" she said before handing it to me "here, keep it" I looked at her with a confused expression. She chuckled at my face and said "a remembrance. Something to remind you of the day we became friends" I took the petal, I am not my usual self right now. I dont know what I'm doing and I dont know what's happening. She then looked at her phone "today is the 27th" she returned her phone in her pocket "always remember 27, okay?" She added. I am speechless. I have nothing to say. My face is turning to my favorite color, same as the cherry blossom petal. But thank God, I managed to nod before putting the petal in my pocket.

~~~


"You've been a doctor for how many years?" She asked. I answered four, she then showed a shocked expression "how old are you?"
"Same age as you"
"Wow, you look so young to be the same age as me" she claimed
"Same for you, you look so young to be 28. You have those features of a young girl"
"Yeah, I get that a lot. It's my charm" she joked and winked. I let out a small giggle.

She's funny. She's so different when we're having a session and when we're outside. This girl is so mysterious. I want to know her more.

I really want to ask if she's doing well, but then I remembered that it's my day off. I should not act like a doctor at this moment.

"Do you have a boyfriend?" She suddenly asked, my eyes widened from the question "I'm sorry, I shouldnt have asked a question like that in a sudden."

"Again, just like you" she tilted her head in confusion, which I find so cute "we broke up a week ago"

"Oh, I'm sorry about that" she answered, I showed a sad smile. "May I know why?"

"Time is a big problem" I answered, nodding at my own statement "if you cant manage it well, things wont work. And if you use it on a wrong way, it definitely wont work."

She nodded too "I understand. And sorry about that"
"You like apologizing a lot, dont you?" I noticed that when we first met
"Sometimes, I feel like I dont do anything right, which makes me apologize a lot. Even if I did nothing wrong." She claimed "I just do... Well, at least I apologize." She added. I didnt get what she's saying. And I have no intention of asking whatever it is. I just let it go.

"We should be going now" she said before standing up, but we just got here. She offered me her hand. I held it and she pulled me up. It feels weird. I can feel shock, electricity. What is this? "Right" I answered

"Thank you for today" I suddenly said before bowing. Her face is full of confusion. So cute. "I'm your patient for today, Doctor Kim" I joked. She suddenly absorbed what's going on

"What-"
"You said you want to know me more?" I said, "so I can be your patient when we're outside." I smiled, she smiled back

"That sounds great" she answered.

"I'll see you soon, doctor Kim" I playfully saluted the small girl

"Stop calling me that!" She retorted "and I'll see you soon..." she paused for a while"...Tiffany" she bowed and walked away, with her right hand inside the pocket of her coat and her bag of bagels on her left hand swaying along while she walks.

"Sorry for making your bagels cold!" I shouted when she's walking away

 

She turned around and answered "It's fine! It's worth it" with a smile and continued walking away. Leaving me there frozen, my heart beating like crazy.