First Meeting

50/50

Being a therapist is my lifestyle. Talking to different people everyday. Knowing their story. I know that they learn from me, it's my job after all, to help them. But I learn a lot from them too. It may be stressful sometimes, but you'll get used to it.

~~


I stood up from my chair, stretched my arms. And I let out a satisfied sigh. Finally, the day is over. My appointments for today is not that stressful like my other meetings. I glanced at the clock, 4pm. Wow I finished early than usual. I was about to pack my things when I heard a knock on the door.

"Excuse me?" someone said "umm.. Doctor Hwang?"

I looked at the direction where the voice came from and I saw a girl looking at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Are you leaving?" She said, I think she saw me packing my things. I answered with a small smile "I'm sorry, I'll come back tomorrow" she was about to leave when I called her

"No no, it's okay. It's still early" it is. I usually finish at 6pm, well that is when my patient is too talkative "come on in"

She looked at me and entered my office. She's wearing a denim short, white shirt and black shoes. Has shorte blonde hair. Fair skin, looking soft. Simple but yet she look elegant.

"Take a seat" I gestured towards my brown sofa. She obediently sat down as I settle on my own office chair. "Do you want anything? Water? Coffee?" I offered. Well this is how I work.

"Water would be fine, thanks" she answered with a small smile. I got up and went to the fridge and got some water for the two of us. I got back and handed her water. We drank at the same time and I'm ready to start.

"My I know your name?" I started. She opened to speak but I stopped her "wait! Hold that thought" I said, stopping her for me to get some papers. I need to write some information about her. She's my last patient for today. I sat down on my chair and asked her to continue.

"Taeyeon" she said "Kim Taeyeon" I wrote down her name before asking her age "28" okay, noted. We're on the same age. Her name is charming. It means calm and serene in Korean. It suits her very well.

"Well Taeyeon, you should set an appointment next time okay?" I said

She lowered her head "Okay, I'm sorry. This is all unexpected."

"It's alright." I assured "okay Taeyeon. Are you comfortable right now?" I asked. Well, she's just sitting there like a student that is being scolded by a teacher. She nodded as response "Hey, come on. Be comfortable. Lay down if you want. Raise your feet if you want. Just be comfortable." I said with a smile. The patient needs to be more comfortable so they wouldn't have a hard time at the session. She smiled back and slowly positioned the pillow near the sofa's armrest and lay down with another pillow on her stomach.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked. "Do you have any problems? Do you need or want someone to talk to?"

"both" she answered.

"Hmm.. would you like to share anything?" I asked again

"I had a really tough day today" she started
"I'm sorry to hear that" I answered. Not shocked since my other patients started with this sentence "mind to tell me what happened?"

"I had a fight with my girlfriend" she said. My eyes widened in shock. Girlfriend?

A question came across my mind. Why go to a therapist when you fight with your other half? You could just settle it together. It takes time. If the fight is too much to handle, consult your close friends or relatives or parents. But why therapist?

"And you came here just because of that?" I asked, tried my best not to sound offending

She shook her head "I have other problems. I just dont have anyone to talk to about it." She confessed, I nodded and told her to continue

"She wants to break up with me." she added. I asked why. "she said I'm a psycho."

"What? Why would she say that?" I answered. Wow, this patient is full of surprises.

"Well, she said that I'm weird." she answered cooly "she keeps on asking me if I have a problem."

"What do you answer?"

"None. She keeps insisting that I do have a problem, so in the end, I end up getting mad at her" she explained

"Why dont you just tell her?"
"I dont want to bother her with my problems"

"You know, you should've just told her that you have a problem. You can tell her that you dont want to talk about it at least she's aware of your condition." I said "she might even think that you dont trust her." I added. She lay there quiet for a while, absorbing what I've said.

"Mind to tell me your problem?" I asked

"I have a lot" she answered back. Oh.

I was wrong. Judging by the unexpected session with this person is wrong. I actually thought that she went here just because of her girlfriend that wants to break up with her, which is stupid. Makes me feel bad.

"Tell me at least one."

"I dont trust her"

There it goes.

"Why?"

"I dont know. I just dont." what a stupid answer. "I know her. She tells everybody about everything. I dont trust anyone. That is why I came here." she added.

"You dont trust anyone but you approached me, which is a stranger, to talk about your problem?" I said. I'm confused. Really. As a therapist for 4 years, I dont get this patient. My previous patients said that they dont trust a certain person. This is the first time that I've ever encountered a patient that doesn't trust anyone but goes to a therapist, which is nearly a stranger, to talk about a problem?

"You asked me what's my problem, and when I lie, you will know that I lie because you're a therapist. What do you expect?" she said. Oh, feisty.

"Okay calm down. Do you want to talk about your problem now?" I asked

"I have no other choice right?" our eyes suddenly met

"You do" I looked though my schedule, avoiding the sudden contact "you can come here tomorrow, just tell me the time and I'll book you an appointment."

"I want to be your last patient again." she said

Last patient huh. "My last appointment for tomorrow will start at 4pm. It will probably end at 5pm. Is 5:30 okay for you?"

She sat up and paused for a moment before answering "okay. 5:30 it is".

I wrote her name on my schedule notebook and told my self to add it to my phone schedule as well.

"So, let's call it a day?" I looked at her. She stood up, I stood up too.

"I'll see you tomorrow Doctor Hwang" she said before bowing at me

"See you tomorrow, Kim Taeyeon" I bowed back and watched her leave my office.