First Appointment

50/50

"Glad to know that you're doing fine now, Irene" I said to the girl that is comfortably settled down on my office sofa

"All thanks to you, Doctor Hwang" she answered back before standing up "I will go now doc. Thanks for your time." She smiled and bowed.

I bowed back "Is this our last meeting?"

"I dont know. I'll text you whenever I need another appointment."

"Sure thing. And thank you too." I smiled "take care on your way"

She smiled back and waved before leaving my office.

Irene is my last patient for today, well, before Taeyeon. I checked the time and its still 5:00. Irene came here at exactly 4:00, and we had a quick talk. She came to tell me that her problem is now settled, which is great.

Taeyeon will come here in 30 minutes, and I dont know what to do while I wait for her. So I decided to take a nap.

**


I opened my eyes from my nap and slightly panicked when I woke up. I looked at the clock and its 5:40. . Did she come here on time? Did she knock and no one answered so she left? Did she--

My thoughts were interruped when I heard a knock on the door. I stood up, fixed my clothes and opened the door.

A small girl wearing a denim jacket with a white shirt on the inside and a black short matching her top greeted me.

"Sorry I came 10 minutes late" she said when she first saw me.

"Oh it's fine, come on in" I said to Taeyeon as I gestured for her to go inside.
She settled down on the sofa and I sat on my chair.

"So, how's your day?" I started

"Fine. Nothing much happened" she answered

"How about your girlfriend?"

"She's not talking to me since yesterday"

I pouted "do you mind telling me your problem?" I asked the same question from yesterday

"Can I?" She asked, gesturing the whole sofa for her to lay down

"Sure sure, you dont have to ask" I answered

"How many friends do you have?" She randomly asked

"Hmm" I paused for a while to think "I dont know. I dont even know whom I consider as a friend" I honestly answered

"Exactly" she said suddenly
"What do you mean?" I really dont get what she's saying.

"I dont know who my real friends are" she said while hugging a pillow "I cant feel anything when I'm with them. It's like, I dont even exist. Like they dont even notice my presence." That's sad.

"And how do you feel about that?" I asked back

"Empty. I cant explain" she looks away "to be honest, I feel happy when I'm with them, but I feel empty at the same time" she paused for a moment and looked directly into my eyes before continuing "Like there is something missing."

I let out a fake cough. "Do you have any other problems besides that?"

"I think so."

"Well, for me, I think you feel empty or it feels like something is missing because of another problem. Your mind doesn't focus on what makes you happy 100% because something is bothering you." I explained. It's true. Been there, done that.

"That's not impossible." She answered

"Do you mind telling me about anything else?" I asked again.

She stayed quiet for a minute, maybe thinking about trusting a stranger about something.

"I feel distant from everybody." She started

"Why is that?"

"I dont know. Everything feels...different. Like it's not the same as before. The feeling is not the same from before." She explained. Oh I know this feeling.

"Change is inevitable, Taeyeon. It happens at the time we least expect it. Sometimes we can feel the change, sometimes we cant." I claimed "It's like invisible and visible change. You know what I'm saying?"

She looked at me again. Understanding everything that I've said. "a hundred percent yes" she nodded. I smiled, she smiled back. Whoa.

"The thing you're experiencing or feeling right now is a visible change. You'll get used to it, and it will be over soon." I assured "But it takes time. But I assure that it will be over and you have nothing to worry about." She sat up and looked at the floor. Probably realizing everything.

She looked at me again. Why does she like eye contacts so much? "Thanks" she said.

One word. It feels strong. Do you know the feeling when you actually helped someone and they thanked you? Even if it's just that one word. That word is strong. It's overwhelming. It makes you want to do more of what you've actually did. It makes me happy.

I smiled as an answer "are we gonna call it a day?" I asked.

"What time is your last appointment tomorrow?" She suddenly asked. She's booking another appoinmtent.

"Wait, let me check." I said before going through my notebook that has the list of all the appointments for tomorrow. "I'll finish early tomorrow. My last session will start at 2pm, it will probably end at 2:30 or 3pm." I said while getting my pen "what time do you want to come? Do you want to come at the usual time? 5:30?" I asked straightly

"I'll come at 3:30. I dont want to make you wait" she said. What? Why is my heart beating fast? Why do I feel nervous? She just said that she doesnt want to make me wait, right?

"Erm sure" I silently blushed "I'll see you at 3:30" I wrote her name on my notebook and the time beside it.

She stood up, I stood up too. "I'll see you tomorrow, doc." She smiled, I smiled back. We bowed at each other and I watched her leave my office.

It's just another appointment.