Thank You

50/50

"Your friend..." a guy on a white hospital gown suddenly said, he was catching his breath as if he ran a lot. "she..."

Sunny and I looked at each other before walking towards the guy to calm him down so that he can talk properly, I was thnkful that there were no syringe attached to me since I've only fainted.

"She doesn't want to continue the operation...I don't know what they did to her...hut her doctor wants to talk to one of you" he said, his hand on his chest.

We've agreed that both Sunny and me will talk to the doctor, and the guy said that there is no problem with that. We rushed to the operating room where the procedure will happen or is probably happening at this very moment. The operating room was located on the same floor as my room, only a few turns till we get there. I now understand why this guy is exhausted, this hospital is huge and it's like a maze with a lot of turns.

We bumped into a lot of patients—one was seated on a wheelchair, that is being pushed by probably a relative, which I believe was paralyzed; some new patients being rushed in, and it was damn awful. There's this one that has blood all over his legs, he must've been on an accident. Another one was unconcious and was being revived by a person straddling him, even though it looks funny, it scared the living out of me.

After a few turns on the maze-like hospital hallway, we have finally reached our destination. A nurse was standing outside the operating room with a clipboard on her crossed arms. Her eyes widened when she noticed our presence and walked towards us instantly. "Are you Kim Taeyeon's guardians?" she asked, Sunny and I nodded. "What is your relationship with the patient?" she asked again.

I looked at Sunny, having no idea of what to answer. She just showed a reassuring smile and talked to the nurse. "I'm her close friend, and she's her girlfriend" she said while locking her arms onto mine. Did she just say that I'm Taeyeon's girlfriend?

I saw the nurse smirk before explaining Taeyeon's condition to us. "Miss Kim got a little too stubborn when she woke up just before you arrived" she said, the three of us looked at the closed door, not a single view of the inside was seen for privacy. "She keeps on saying that we should stop the operation, but she is in a very critical condition right now, so stopping the operation is not a very good idea" she said and smiled at us sadly. I sighed ang looked down, Sunny moved her hand up and down my arm to comfort me. "But since we want her to live, and we know that you do too—the doctor injected a sleeping formula while she was freaking out, she just fell asleep when you arrived" she added and held my hands, her hands are surprisingly soft. "We will continue the operation whether Miss Kim likes it or not, I know both of you wants her to be okay right?" she said, I nodded and I felt Sunny do so too. "So don't worry, out team will do our best to save her. The operation is on-going the moment that we are talking right now, inside that door" she added, we looked at the door again and I felt freaking nervous this time. "I'll be going in now, the doctor just commanded me to tell you that everything will be okay" she said and patted my back with a smile, I smiled back.

She's pretty and she's tall. She has long legs and a nice shaped-face. she has this comforting voice that makes me believe that everything will be okay indeed. She left after bowing and excusing herself. So Sunny and I sat on the brown bench right outside the operating room and waited. I started to feel hungry but I didn't want to leave, so Sunny said that she'll buy bread from the hospital canteen.

She arrived at approximately 10 minutes later with a plastic bag full of bread and two sodas. We ate our nervousness away. We've been waiting for almost three hours, and the door hasn't opened yet—which makes us even more worried.

But it seems like my thoughs were heard when the door suddenly opened, Synny and I stood up to greet thr doctor who cam out of the room. He smiled at us and bowed. "Are you the guardians of Miss Kim?" he asked, Sunny and I nodded at the same time. "The procedure took a very long time, but don't worry, she's stable now. She's still unconcious though" he said and showed a reassuring smile. "We'll be moving her back to her room, let's talk about her later if you dont't mind" he added.

"Sure doctor, thank you" Sunny said. The doctor excused himself and went into the operating room once again. I sighed deeply when the doctor is finally out of sight, Sunny hugged me tight. "I know she's strong" she whispered, I nodded. Taeyeon is indeed strong. And she should be strong. I don't want to lose her.

***

"She got a little stubborn before the operation" the doctor said as we look at the sleeping girl on her bed back at her room. She was brought back to her room a few minutes ago. "The tumor spreaded fast, and I've heard that she had an episode that's why she fainted, right?" he asked. Feeling guilty, I nodded slowly. "Her sudden episode had a very bad effect on the tumor, that's why it surrounded one of her kidneys. It was hard to take it out, so our only option is to remove the affected kidney so that the tumor will be easily removed. We didn't know if it will succeed or not, that's why she had a 50/50 chance" he explained, my eyes widened. Taeyeon has only one kidney now..that sounds...I don't even know. "She will wake up at any moment now, if she ever freaks out when she finds out about her kidney, just talk to her calmly, okay?" he said, I nodded. "I'll get going now, just call someone if there is an emergency" he said. I thanked him and we bowed at each other before he left.

Sunny is sleeping at the couch at the moment. She took care of me while I was unconscious, that's why I let her rest.

I walked towards Taeyeon's bed and sat beside her as I stare at her beautiful innocent face. I feel so happy that the operation is done, but I'm nervous at the same time because I don't know how will she act once she wakes up.

A few moments later, her eyes started moving and she opened it slowly. She blinked for a few times, to adjust at the brightness of the room. Once her vision is stable, our eyes finally met. I smiled sadly with tears forming in my eyes, Taeyeon smiled back.

I pulled her tightly into a hug and I just couldn't hold back my tears any longer. "Thank you for being strong" I whispered softly into Taeyeon's cute little ear.