Anchor

Twice Upon A Time

Author's Note: So... I'm hung up with Twenty One Pilots and Heathers the Musical recently (you should totally check those out btw) and as a result, my brain just went, vroooooooooom! Anyway, if you guys have time and you want to check out a Heathers themed fanfic I delusionally made, go ahead, here is link:

https://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/1449981/majisuka-high-school-heathers


But it is an AKB48 YuuNaa fic, so ya'll might be confused. And now...

For the Twenty One Pilots one:

Here... It is thy one-shot.

Also this is a very sad fic and imma just remind you that this is a FANFICTION. Ya'll this ain't real. I'm just really hightened with angst lately... Again. Sorry. 

Enjoy.



Now the night is coming to an end.


Nayeon walked briskly through the crowd, balancing the cups in her hands along with the newspapers she bought on the way. Ugh, as much as she didn't want to do it but they asked for it. Her friends did, so she complied. It was what they wished. 

And what they wished is what the oldest grants. 

She smiled weakly when a man waited for her to enter the elevator. Greatful, she bowed to the man but making sure that the coffee (and chocolate, she rolled her eyes) didn't spill all over the sweet guy. As soon as she reached the second level, she stepped out and made her way. 


The sun will rise and we will try again.


Jeongyeon paced the halls. Nayeon was late. She checked her watch two— no three times already and... Too late, she checked her watch for the fourth time again. Jeongyeon reprimands herself;

She's too impatient. 

But there is a reason for being impatient.

The others are waiting, and Nayeon is stalling. 

"Who says... I... Im Nayeon was stalling?" She heard a familiar voice echo the halls. 

Jeongyeon let out an relieved sigh as Nayeon skidded to stop in front of the taller girl. "You said you woke up early, and had time to buy stuff!" 

"Uh, obviously," The bunny girl raised her hands to show Jeongyeon what she bought and then shoved the newspapers and the drink to Jeongyeon. "I bought the stuff!" 

Jeongyeon squinted at the drink. "You got my order wrong." 

Nayeon rolled her eyes. "It's still coffee." 

"You wouldn't have gotten my order wrong if you woke up earlier." Jeongyeon retorted. 

"I did!" Nayeon exclaimed as she walked past Jeongyeon. 

"Okay, let's say you woke up early, gathered everyone's orders via group chat but," Jeongyeon buts an emphasis before continuing and glaring at the girl at the back of her head. "You left the house late and therefore..." Jeongyeon trailed, raising an eyebrow, pointed at Nayeon's dishevelled appearance and smirked. 

Nayeon's only reply was a glare and silence to which Jeongyeon laughed heartily. The laughing girl wiped the escaping tears from her eyes and mumbled, "You never change." 

Nayeon grumbled, "Whatever." 

They neared the room they were going to meet with their friends. 

Muffled laughter was heard through the closed door. Jeongyeon smiled and Nayeon sighed, happy to hear such gleeful voices. They looked at each other and nodded. They both took a deep breath. 

They slid the door open. 

Laughter stopped abruptly. 

Silence before a joyous greeting eminated, bouncing off the white walls of the room. 

Hugs. Kisses. Laughter.

But a lot has changed;

Tzuyu smiled widely and was the noisiest in the room today, unlike before, their baby Tzuyu was quiet, soft spoken like Mina. An observer, never a bringer. 

Chaeyoung, sure, still artistic as ever but the gentle lion is now more fierce, more outspoken. She's now more naturally funny (Nayeon never admits it because before, Jeongyeon and Chaeyoung are the worst at being funny) 

Momo is still a ditzy friend, but she's more confident now, funnier than ever, and even more imaginative like her best friend Sana. She's a good listener too and she finally got over her Momo language. 

Speaking of, they are both always in the same wavelength; Momo and Sana and Sana is not clumsy anymore. It got her in trouble a lot and Jeongyeon, Momo, and their baby Japanese sister, Mina never lived it down, embarrassing Sana even further. 

Mina, the quietest learned to be as loud as Nayeon, as confident like Momo and as (un)funny like Chaeyoung recently. She's stronger now. She can stand up on her own now. She's amazing. 

Dahyun, their mood maker, but right now, she just seemed to observe more than to act, than to speak. She would rather just listen and voice out if it was necessary. She had also gotten tougher, she rarely cried first in their group.

Cry, Jeongyeon mused. 

The golden hour peaked the curtains of the room, shining rays onto her. 

And their leader. Their best friend. The one who glues the group.

After handing out coffees and chocolate, their eyes landed on Jihyo. 

Jihyo, they wondered if she was going through the seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months with the eight of them, 

Would she change too? 


Stay alive, stay alive for me.


Jihyo laid there, on the bed; Wires, tubes, lines, some were thick, some were thin and those were attached on her frail body connecting to the machines beside the bed. 

Silence, but not completely;

The rhythmic beeping of the machines indicates Jihyo's breathing, heartbeat;

Her life. 

Jeongyeon and Nayeon smiled sadly, both are thinking of the same thing;

They miss their bestfriend, the youngest in their unit, their sister.


You will die but now your life is free, take pride in what is sure to die.


"Remember when we had that zombie game in the company. The one with water guns?" Momo cuts the silence. 

The girls turned to her, smiles wider, giggles started to bubble within. 

"Oh boy, was that a huge disaster!" Tzuyu laughed, slouching on her seat in the process. 

"We would always lose our hearts!" Chaeyoung piped in while Mina said, "We kinda cheated through that part too!" 

"Yeah! Weren't we supposed to be immobile when turned into zombies or something?" Momo replied. "I clearly remember Dahyunnie groaning while holding a water gun for me to purify her." 

Dahyun nodded while Nayeon laughed. "I was sifting through the cups that time, I think." 

"I rewatched the whole thing after that!" Sana interjected. She then, pointed at Jihyo. "I have never seen Jihyo so adrenaline pumped that time! She evaded zombie-nim from the floor! By sliding her but and kicking the gap between her and zombie-nim." 

The group laughed. 

"Oh, the childish smile on her face when we finally understood the code and gotten the end game." Mina smiled, standing by Jihyo and threading her fingers through Jihyo's now black hair. "And when the three of you stayed at the rooftop to play with the water guns." Mina eyed Jeongyeon and Nayeon with a rueful smile. 

"Oh, her laughter and God! Her screams were insane!" Jeongyeon supported, nearing the hospital bed where her bestfriend lay, holding the pale hand. "Oh, you're beautiful, Jihyo. Smiling like a kid. You were so carefree, so happy." 

Jeongyeon started to tear up, Nayeon too, as she held Jeongyeon's shoulder. She couldn't bare to go near her bestfriend. It just felt wrong. It wasn't supposed to be like this. 

Momo and Sana were holding each other, their shoulders shaking, tears were already streaming down their face but their smiles were still there. 

Tzuyu laid her head by Jihyo's stomach, her hand resting gently on their leader's knee. She hid the tears. She wanted to be strong for her unnies.

Chaeyoung rested her head on Tzuyu's back. She promised not to cry. And she won't, but the burning in and heart was unbearable and it was inevitable. She soaked Tzuyu's shirt that very second. 

Dahyun... She can't cry anymore. She just stares at Jihyo's peaceful face from afar. She pushed back the burning ball in and shook her head. She just can't. Not anymore. She already finished her tears when they heard the news;

"Jihyo is in coma." 

Dahyun reached for the newspapers and there; still in the front page after all this months. Jihyo's blinding smile, and the headliner, "Twice's Park Jihyo, Still Fighting."

Somehow, Dahyun couldn't smile.

Smile.

She looked at her friends. 

It just felt... Weird for Dahyun. Like everything seemed normal but it wasn't. 

But Dahyun admires them. 

They wanted to show Jihyo that they were handling all of this well but Dahyun knew the truth behind those smiles because she too hid something from this quiet exterior. 

And it is because their anchor, their leverage, their shoulder to lean on was just there on that bed, immobile and Dahyun is scared.

The sun sets. 

And Dahyun is still scared. 

She's slowly losing her bestfriend. 

She hates it. 


I will fear the night again.


They went home, even though they insisted to stay to help Jihyo's family, but Jihyo's mother wasn't having any of that. Eventually, after many persuasive arguments, the girls went home.

They took the train home. Despite the many looks from the passengers, they ignored it and the passengers tried to ignore them too. They knew what was going on with them. It was broadcasted to the whole of South Korea and they get it. 

They also not to go to the dorms. They all agreed to go home to each others homes, but Tzuyu, Mina, Sana, and Momo were a different case. Nayeon offered them a room, to which Momo and Tzuyu accepted, Sana and Mina however couldn't. 

Puffy, red eyes stared off blankly on the door. Mina heaved in a breath.

"We should open the door, Sana." Mina snapped Sana out of her reverie. 

Sana nodded, but still couldn't move. 

So did Mina. 

None of them moved a muscle.

There in the hall, they silently cried and prayed for a miracle to happen. They want Jihyo back. 

Mina wants to make more crafts for Jihyo, she wants to play games with Jihyo, she wants to watch movies with Jihyo, she wants to share new discoveries in shopping with Jihyo, she wants to take care of Jihyo like how Jihyo took care of her, how Jihyo took care of everyone in Twice.

Sana wants to bug Jihyo more, with kisses, with hugs. Act like a baby in front of Jihyo, she wants to excercise with Jihyo, talk with Jihuo, share her worries with Jihyo, share her imaginations with Jihyo. She wants Jihyo to pat her head like she usually does. She wants to love Jihyo again, just like Jihyo loves Twice.

They took a deep calming breath.

And with a determined look;

With shaking hands, to Mina's surprise, Sana reached for the numbers, entered the passcode. The door clicked open, a little jingle welcomed them and as soon as they entered, as soon as the lights lit up, their eyes found Jihyo's shoes carefully kept away with the rest of their shoes.

They broke down once again. 

The two girls stared at the ceiling fan. They both knew why they stayed here instead. The memories there would just overwhelm them. They were amazed by Sana and Mina for going to the dormitories after a very long time.

Yes.

It was seven months when they last been in that dormitory. Seven months after the accident. Seven months when Jihyo got into comatose. They all agreed to stop everything, promotions, songs, practices, classes. Everything. It felt wrong doing those things without Jihyo. 

Without their leader.

Tzuyu was broken when she heard the news. She was the first to know because the staff and Jihyo's family knew that Tzuyu would be worried as of why people are solemn if she wasn't told first. 

Momo denied it when she heard the news. She was the last to know because the staff and Jihyo's family knew that Momo would fall if she wasn't told last.

Tzuyu's favorite unnie is... 

She doesn't want to say it, but it is the truth. 

Momo's favorite listener is dying. 

She knew it was mean, but it is also the truth. 

The darkness enveloped them, the coolness would've been a perfect way to end the day, sleep tight and welcome a new day. But they were afraid, so they heald each other tighter. Momo tried to hum her and Tzuyu to sleep but nothing worked. 

The door of their room opened all of a sudden to reveal Nayeon, in PJs.

"Unnie?" Tzuyu called out. 

"I can't sleep." Nayeon whispered, as she closed the door and padded through the guest room and slid besides Tzuyu, making their maknae sandwiched in between two unnies. 

"We too, can't sleep." Tzuyu mumbled out, hiding her head on the crook of Nayeon's shoulders. She embraced the bunny toothed girl, willing herself to just sleep. 

Silence.

But none of them could sleep. 

Jihyo's face and voice is still in their minds.

Chaeyoung stared at the canvas in front of her.

Damn.

It was empty. 

Her hand was just in the air, shaking, hovering by the canvas. 

Her left hand shot to her right, to ease the shaking but she couldn't. 

She wanted to draw Jihyo so when Jihyo wakes up, she would give it to her. 

But is it right? 

To wait? To believe? 

No. 

Behind Chaeyoung's fierce exterior was a layer of doubt, denial, fear.

She wanted to draw Jihyo, just like before;

Bright, strong, independent, happy.

But he fresh image shook her hands further;

Frail, fragile, unmoving, pale.

But she had waited long enough. 

Hadn't she? 

Her unnie should be awake by now. 


I hope I'm not my only friend.

Stay alive, stay alive for me.


Jihyo's parents called Jeongyeon at 4:57 in the morning.

It made Jeongyeon shoot out from her bed, frantically calling the other girls. This made Seungyeon wake up too. She tried to calm her sister down but she couldn't because the phrase echoed in her head;

"We're letting Jihyo go." 

She furiously wiped her tears, took her wallet, dialled the girls and ran towards the front door, not caring that she's wearing PJs and that she's only wearing flip-flops. She doesn't care! She was just told that they were going to lose Jihyo;

Not without a fight. 

Through the streets she ran, almost tripping to some sidewalk curb, almost running onto early birds, almost dying for ignoring the stoplight. Down the subways stairs she went and coincidentally, there she found Nayeon, Tzuyu and Momo, chests heaving, trying to catch their breath. The doors open and they went in the train. 

Jeongyeon had so much to say. 

She wants to tease Jihyo still. She wants to play with her again. She wants to nag and take care of Jihyo too. 

But, . 

The train was slower than they expected. 

Jeongyeon's mind ran a thousand miles.

Jihyo was showing signs of getting out of comatose. Twitching of fingers, sudden hitch of breath. Why are they letting her go? 

Mina, Sana and Chaeyoung was the first one to arrive. Out of breath, they leaned on the elevator door for support. After all, they did ignore the calls from the front desk that it was not visiting hours in which Chaeyoung shouted with a;

"My sister is going to be let go today, and we won't let them let her go so you!" 

"Didn't know you had it in you..." Sana said in between breaths. 

The elevator dinged, signalling their arrival at the floor they desired. 

"I didn't know I had it either." Chaeyoung replied in which Mina shook her head and led the way to Jihyo's room. 

Not trailing far behind them was the girls in the train and Dahyun well... 

I guess Sana can scrap that they were the first ones to the hospital.

They all looked at each other, they breathed in and slid the door open to find the doctors and Jihyo's family besides Jihyo's bed. 


You will die but now your life is free, take pride in what is sure to die.


Sobs resonated as the girls tried to reason with Jihyo's family but none of them could persuade the family to take back their word.

They are going to let Jihyo go.

Their tears fell. 

This is it. 

Their fear has finally come. 

The parents nodded and they switched everything off as they held their child close to their heart.

They took turns hugging their anchor. 

They took turns in saying goodbye. 

"We love you." The girls simultaneously said. 

And Dahyun, ever the poet;

"You will die but now your life is free, take pride in what is sure to die. We will be proud for you. We will walk with pride because you wer proud of us and we are proud of you." She whispered in Jihyo's ear.

Jeongyeon wished for a moment for Jihyo. 

Mina wished to take care for Jihyo. 

Chaeyoung wished to be brave for Jihyo. 

Tzuyu wished for a love for Jihyo. 

Nayeon wished for a life for Jihyo. 

Sana wished for a heart for Jihyo. 

And Dahyun wished to be there for Jihyo. 

And they saw the last fragile breath Jihyo lets out. The machine showed the slowing heartbeat.

A flat line.

The family cried.

Everything seemed to stop. They grieved at the loss of someone very important;

Their love, their foundation; their child, their friend; Their pride, their anchor.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


But a breath hitched and fluttering eyes opened. 

And everyone gasped. 

A sudden heartbeat was picked up by the monitors.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


"Do we have a schedule today?" Jihyo asked with a weak smile. 

 


 

Author's Note (2): I'm sorry.​​​​​​