For You, My Baby Boy

Take Care of My Girlfriend

 

As the elevator closed its door, I felt my heartbeat quicken. The air around it turned stuffy as beads of perspiration began to form. The whole night, I couldn’t even sleep properly despite the fact that I was in Hyukjae oppa’s embrace. I was almost frozen solid, waiting for him to fall asleep. As carefully as I could, I sneaked out of his embrace and to look for his phone. His work schedule was in it and I needed to check it. When faced with the password for his phone, I had been trembling a little. What if I got it wrong and it got locked?! Taking in deep breaths, I remembered punching in his birthday to no avail. I turned to look at him, making sure that he was still sleeping before punching my own birthday. As we were using the same phone, I knew for a fact that by the fifth try, the phone would be locked. Which number combination could he have used for his phone? I tried typing in the security code for our apartment but failed. Sighing, I looked at his phone helplessly. But when I saw the photo of us that was taken on the day we got together eight years ago on the lock screen, I chided myself for not thinking of it earlier! With my shaky hand, I typed in the date of our anniversary. It was successful and I quickly checked his work schedule, saving it in my own phone.

 I was too nervous for today. My knuckles were turning white from my firm grip on the paper bag I was holding. When the elevator finally opened its door, revealing the 32nd floor, I took in a deep breath before making my way out. Turning my head left and right, making sure that he wasn’t around, I made my way carefully towards the right. There was only one office on this level and I was thankful that the lobby was not crowded or I may have been caught earlier. The whole level was dead quiet with his secretary’s table being empty as well.

“Haemin?”

I stood frozen in the spot. Slowly, I turned around to meet the lady who had called out my name. I thought I had been lucky that her table was empty. But she was back from whatever she was busy with.

“Hello,”I bowed.

“Are you looking for our CEO? He’s in a meeting now. Should I let him know when I head back to the meeting?”she asked.

“No. It’s…erm…it’s a surprise,”I confessed.

“Ah! How lovely! I’ll keep it a secret. Go ahead into his office and I’ll let you know when his meeting has ended,”she smiled.

“Thanks!”I grinned before hurrying into his office.

Switching on the lights, I settled the paper bag on the coffee table. I took out the lunchboxes I have packed and began setting up. Kim Haemin, calm down! This is only just the beginning. If you’re so nervous right now, I don’t know how you are going to handle the preparations you’ve had in mind for tonight! As I took in deep breaths to calm myself down, my phone rang a little, indicating a message. It was from Shinae, letting me know the meeting has ended. I gasped and quickly ran to switch off the lights and hiding behind the door.

With my racing heart, I heard murmurs over the other side as Hyukjae oppa and Shinae exchanged words about the meeting.

“I’ll take care of it. Why don’t you go for lunch?”Shinae suggested.

“I wish I could. But I’m a little busy today,”Hyukjae oppa chuckled.

“Don’t you always eat with Haemin at her café?”she asked.

“Not today. I’ll give her a call later on,”Hyukjae oppa sighed.

Little does he know that I’m right behind the door, waiting to have lunch with him. I was glad that I chose the correct day to do this. He would have gone hungry if I hadn’t come today. Stupid boy! How could he miss his lunch for work?

“Do you want me to buy something back for you?”Shinae asked.

“Nah, I’ll be fine. Don’t tell Haemin though. I don’t want her to worry,”he replied.

“Okay,”Shinae tried to stifle her laughter.

That was when the door clicked open. Sighing at the huge amount of work waiting for him, Hyukjae oppa walked in, switching on the lights. Just as he closed the door, I jumped on him while yelling a loud ‘Boo’.

“What the hell?”Hyukjae oppa exclaimed.

“Good afternoon, my baby boy!”I giggled.

“Oh, it’s you! When did you get here?”he asked, his smile getting wider.

“Just awhile ago when you were still in that meeting. Busy?”I asked as I helped him take out his suit jacket.

“You bet. I was about to call you to say that I can’t go over,”he answered as I placed his jacket on his chair.

While he stretched his body, I hid behind the chair and slipped my hand into my pocket, quickly dropping my present that I had brought along into his suit pocket. Now, all I’m hoping is that he wouldn’t find out about it first or my plan would fail. Cross fingers!

“I heard everything. You were planning on skipping lunch, right?”I frowned.

“Well…yeah but since you’re here, we can go grab some food,”he grinned, trying to get away from my naggings.

“How could you even think of doing that? Even if you’re busy, you should eat! Look at you now!”I ignored his plea as I started nagging.

“I know, I know. Oh, what is this? You packed lunch? Oh, you’re such a sweetheart!”he cooed.

“That compliment will get you nowhere! How many times must I tell you…,”but he quickly shut me off as he came over to me to grab my hand.

“You’ve told me countless of times and it’s my fault for wanting to skip lunch. I’m sorry so don’t be angry anymore. Let’s eat, okay?”Hyukjae oppa pouted.

“Aigoo, who can resist your aegyo!”I pinched his cheeks as I settled down on the sofa.

“Nobody can,”he chuckled as he sat next to me.

“You sure have a huge ego,”I smirked.

“This is confidence, my dear. What did you prepare for me?”he asked.

“Open it!”I passed him his blue lunchbox.

“Wasn’t this the one I used when I packed that lunch at the yacht?”he asked, looking at the lunchbox.

“Uh huh. That was the only one I could find in the apartment,”I nodded my head.

When he opened the box, his eyes widened. His jaw dropped as he looked at me and then back at the lunchbox. When he dropped me off at the café, I had waved back, pretending to be at work. After he was out of sight, I had gotten into a taxi to get home. Ahjumma had supervised me as I made the kimbap and seafood pancake that he loves. I even made some rice and kimchi stew that I brought along in another container.

“You made this?”he asked.

“Yeah, ahjumma helped though. A lot,”I admitted.

“You’re the best girlfriend anyone can have! I love you so much!”he exclaimed as he put the lunchbox down.

He grabbed my face and gave me a kiss that left a pink flush on my cheeks.

“Eat your lunch, idiot,”I whacked him, embarrassed by his actions.

“Oh wow…, I never thought you would make a lunchbox for me. I was always jealous over my classmates when their girlfriends brought lunchboxes for them during break,”Hyukjae oppa grinned as he took a piece of kimbap.

“I know,”I nodded my head.

“How did you know? I’ve never told you. Oh, this seafood pancake is awesome,”Hyukjae oppa pointed excitedly at the food with his mouth full of food.

“Eat slowly, Hyukjae oppa! I know because of the way you always look at them. Why didn’t you ask me to make one for you?”I took a napkin to wipe his mouth.

“You said you weren’t interested in cooking back then so I didn’t want to force it,”he shrugged.

“Hyukjae oppa, what am I going to do with you? You’re always thinking of me that you make me seem so selfish!”I shook my head.

“Aren’t I the best? I’ve raised the standards for the men in South Korea,”Hyukjae oppa wriggled his eyebrow.

“One day, you’ll meet someone who’ll puncture that huge ego of yours,”I joked.

“Tell me, who in Seoul can be as great as I am,”he asked me seriously as he ate more kim bap.

“I’ll have you know that there are actually a few guys. One being Kwon Jiyong and the other being Lee Donghae,”I stated matter of factly.

“Kwon Jiyong? That’s quite true. He was quite a charmer even back in high school. I felt insecure sometimes when he was around you. I totally freaked out when you told me you two were going to the same course in university,”Hyukjae oppa shook the thought away.

I laughed at his silliness.

“And don’t even get me started on Lee Donghae. He’s quite smooth with ladies, isn’t he? The way he just pulled Soobin into his embrace when she’s crying. I can’t even do that,”Hyukjae oppa continued.

“Sorry, babe. Did I make you lose confidence?”I asked as I lay my head on his shoulder.

“Yeah, why did you have to mention them?!”he sulked.

“Don’t worry, babe. My heart is with you. To me, you’re the most charming man,”I smiled.

“Really?”he asked.

“Of course. I wouldn’t have stuck with you for eight years if I didn’t,”I reached out to his head.

“True that. We’re the best for each other, right?”he asked cheekily.

“Of course, we are. We’re the legendary couple of our high school for goodness sake,”I winked.

Hyukjae oppa laughed immediately.

“Yah, stop fooling around and eat your lunchbox! You haven’t even started on it,”he opened the pink lunchbox and picked up a pair of chopsticks.

“Yes, sir!”I saluted out of fun.

“Silly girl,”Hyukjae oppa chuckled.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel