The Truth

Take Care of My Girlfriend

 

“Happy birthday to you~”they clapped after singing.

As promised, Sungmin had really organized a party for me and the four of us were now in his house, after work to celebrate. He had hurriedly cooked a few dishes for dinner earlier on and I have got to say, he’s a good cook!

“Make a wish!”Sungmin exclaimed.

I closed my eyes tight and wished for something new this year. Every year, I had been wishing for Hyukjae oppa and me to get married soon. But this year, I had someone else to think of.

I wish that my baby will be healthy and I would have a smooth delivery.

With that, I opened my eyes to blow out the candles and cut the cake. With the help of Donghae, I managed to give everyone a slice. As we ate, we started to talk and were finally able to chat about serious matters that were not work related. Although we have known one another for long, it is the first time that the four of us got to bond like that. We listened as one by one, we talked about how we ended up in this town. Contrary to my belief, all of them didn’t grow up here. Instead, they were led here somehow with their own reasons. 

Sungmin had been here to take care of his grandmother after he graduated. He was from another town where his parents moved to. And after his grandmother passed away, he just continued staying here since he was accustomed to the life here and couldn’t move away. He then spoke about how his parents will be selling away their farm and moving in with him next month. Taeyeon, on the other hand, was here with her older sister. Her sister is a doctor. Charity doctor, more like. Taeyeon’s sister had studied medicine in the city and decided to practice here; giving the folks medical checkup, provided for by the government. Unlike the doctors in the city, she earns a lesser amount but she was contented. Seeing as how her sister was so charitable, Taeyeon decided to move as well and stay with her, teaching the children at Donghae’s childcare centre to read and write.

Donghae, on the other hand, was from the city just like Hyukjae oppa. They learnt that night that his parents met with financial difficulty when he turned 12 and instead of attending a prestigious high school like Hyukjae oppa, he was forced to enroll in a normal one. He managed to score pretty well and made it into a university with a scholarship. Being a strong Christian, he felt that this was all God’s doing and that he should contribute back to the society. With Hyukjae oppa’s help, he managed to set up the childcare centre and the rest was history. His parents were still in the city unlike him and have been settling down well, tending to a small tea shop.

“Wow, I’ve known you for so long and I’ve never heard about this side of you,”Taeyeon said, amazed.

“What about you, Haemin? What brings you here?”Sungmin asked with a creepy smile.

“Yeah, share with us! Sungmin told me that you promised to tell us,”Taeyeon grabbed my hand.

I gulped and cleared my throat.

“Well, unlike you all, I’m here for an entirely different reason. I’m not as charitable as anyone of you…,”I started.

“Hey, who are you kidding? Look at the way you read to the children,”Taeyeon brushed it off.

I tried to smile and I continued. I told them I was raised in the city and this was my first time out of town. I talked about my humble beginnings, about how I was just from a middle classed family. But Sungmin wouldn’t hear of it.

“Look at the way you carry yourself! The way you walk! So much poise and elegance! And look at the clothes you wear!”Sungmin shook his head.

Donghae tried hard not to interrupt and I continued. Telling them about how I met Hyukjae oppa and that was how my life have changed. Because of him, I had been asked to attend many gala dinners and corporate events. For all these events, he always brought me along and that was I managed to learn to carry myself in a different way.

“But, I’m actually just as normal as everyone else,”I explained.

They all nodded as if in a trance except for Donghae who probably knew all about it from Hyukjae oppa.

“But I don’t see how all that brings you here. I mean, what would bring you here if you have been living the high life?”Sungmin frowned.

I looked down, unable to meet their gaze.

“That’s because…I am actually…pregnant,”I said softly.

“WHAT?!”Sungmin’s jaw dropped.

“No way….,”Taeyeon shook her head.

I gathered up courage and looked at them.

“Unfortunately, I am an unwedded mother,”I admitted.

“How many months along the way?”Taeyeon asked, concerned.

“Just past four months,”I answered.

“No wonder, we didn’t notice,”Sungmin nodded his head.

“That explains why you are always going to the toilet and eating so much. And I was wondering whether it’s because of that you look a little chubby already,”Taeyeon nodded her head.

“But I don’t get why that is the reason you are here,”Sungmin asked, confused.

“Well, that’s because Hyukjae oppa wants me to be away from all the media,”I explained slowly.

Seeing as how I was having difficulties carrying on, Donghae cut in and helped me explained everything. As I listened to his every word, my tears threatened to fall. I thought of my journey during this two month. Although it was only sixty days, it had been a long and emotionally torturous journey. I thought of the lonely nights. Those lonely nights that stole my sleep. Those nights I spent just looking at my wallpaper on my phone. Tears falling as I looked at the man I care about; as I whisper, asking if he really did care. Those whispers were heard by none but I was hoping somehow the wind would carry my whisper so he could hear it in his sleep. I hope he could hear my pain one day.

“So…yeah,”Donghae ended off awkwardly.

There was silence as I prepared to be judged. I mentally prepared myself for Taeyeon and Sungmin to stand and pack up to signal the end of the party. I waited for Sungmin to chase me out of the house. I dread thinking how the two of them would avoid me at work tomorrow. How one day, I am going to find them in Donghae’s office, asking him to fire me so that I would not be a bad influence to the children.

However, my heart warmed when Taeyeon held onto my hand, I looked up with tears hovering on my eyes. I saw that Taeyeon had the exact same expression on her face.

“It must have been hard on you,”she smiled.

“Don’t worry, we’ll be with you,”Sungmin grinned.

To that, I couldn’t even thank god enough for friends like these and my tears fell. As I was comforted by Taeyeon, I thought of my own friends in the city and wondered how they were coping. I felt guilty that they were not aware of any of these and I knew all three of them would rush down immediately to rescue me if they had known. But till then, I am thankful for these people around me right now.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel