The Tears That Won't Stop

Take Care of My Girlfriend

 

By the time, I reached the Starbucks, it was 10.40am. I was expecting two things. One, Lee Hyukjae wouldn’t even appear because a meeting cropped up. Two, he got tired of waiting and went home. But when I pushed open the door to Starbucks, my heart stopped. Contrary to my belief, he was sitting there, right beside the window, with a mug of latte on the table. He was easy to spot with his handsome features and aura that surrounded him. He was born to glow. Instead of his usual business suit, he was dressed casually and that shocked me even more. I watched as he reached out to get the mug of latte. The way he drank it so leisurely like he had all the time in the world made me confused. He spotted me and he quickly put down his mug of latte to stand. I made my way towards him.

“Don’t you have work today?”I asked.

“I called in sick,”he replied.

It was my first time hearing him say that. Even when he was sick, he would still go to work because to him, work is everything.

“Have a seat. What would you like to drink?”he asked as he gestured towards the seat opposite me.

“No need for that. I’ll just say my piece and leave,”I said as I sat down.

“I’ll get you a Java Chip Frappe,”he said before leaving.

It was my favourite drink. I watched him queue, pay and wait for it. Although it was a normal thing to do, it felt strange watching Hyukjae do it. It had been long since we had a date and it was weird watching him buy something for me. He came back shortly with my drink and he sat down.

“Thanks for the drink. But like I said, I’m only here to say my piece and leave,”I said as I started rummaging through my bag.

“Haemin, don’t be like this. Stop pushing me away, will you?”he asked.

“I’m here to return you the car key. The car is still parked at your apartment. Here is the supplementary card that you applied for me as well,”I placed them on the table.

Hyukjae looked at it then at me.

“I’m not here for the car key nor the card, Haemin. Damn it, I don’t even care for them. Haemin, I need you back. I can’t continue without you,”he massaged his temple.

“Stop it, Hyukjae. Be a grown up. I’ve enough of waiting around for you. Let me move on,”I said firmly.

“You know perfectly well that you still love me. Why are you torturing yourself like that? Don’t deny that you don’t miss me these past few days. You miss me, didn’t you? Try saying no, Kim Haemin but you know I can tell when you are lying,”he said agitatedly as he stared at me.

I couldn’t say no. It was all true.

“We can work it out. I’m sure we can. I’m on the lookout for a director for my company. I’ll delegate almost everything to him. Then, I’ll have more time for you. Please, Haemin,”he said softly.

At that moment, his work phone rang.

“Sorry,”he apologized as he reached into his pocket to get it.

I expected him to excuse himself and walk out of Starbucks to answer it and that will be my cue to walk out of here. But I watched him do something to his phone.

“What are you doing?”I asked, bewildered.

“Putting it on silent mode?”he replied as if I was stupid.

“Why aren’t you answering it? It’s about work,”I raised an eyebrow.

“There are people handling things at the office. I’m off work today for a reason and I don’t want it disrupting our talk. You are more important and I want you to realize that. I did so many wrong things in the past and I’m here to rectify it. I want you to know that you are my priority,”he explained.

“It’s hard to believe that,”I replied in a flat tone.

“I’m sorry that I was a workaholic. But I worked so hard with you in mind. I wanted you to live well and everything. I should have taken your feelings into consideration. I’m so sorry,”he looked so apologetic that my heart softened a little.

“Well, you can learn from this and be nicer to your future girlfriend. Those clothes at your apartment, you can auction it off and keep the money…,”he cut me off.

“What are you talking about? You really think I’m here to settle our break up? I’m not going to sell anything of yours off cause I’ll make sure you come back to me. Keep the car. I bought it for you and it’s yours,”he pushed the key back to me.

Seeing as how I didn’t take the key from the table, he reached out for my hand and placed it in my palm.

“Please take the car. I don’t want Jiyong driving you home anymore,”he said.

“Why are you talking as if we’re still together? Stop it, Hyukjae,”I rolled my eyes as I got up.

I wasn’t too far away from Starbucks when a pair of my arms pulled my waist and I realised Hyukjae was hugging me from behind.

“Remember how you told me that you thought you were just like air, invisible to me?”he said softly.

“I was invisible to you. You didn’t even notice me for the past few months,”I got myself out of his embrace and turned around to look at him.

He closed up the gap and stared into my eyes.

“When you were constantly around, I didn’t notice and took you for granted that you would always be there. But now that you left, I realised that I couldn’t do without you. You are vital for my survival and I can’t imagine a world without you. Hell, I can’t even remember what life was like before I met you. I need you in my life to continue breathing, Haemin. I love you so much and I missed you,”

And he let his tough exterior fall as tears fell from his eyes.

“I really shouldn’t have done all that. Please give me another chance to do it right. You don’t deserve all that because you’re an amazing girl. But I’ll make it up to you,”he held onto my hand.

With a lump forming in my throat, I swallowed it and willed my tears to not fall. I made a mistake back then especially during my birthday and accepting his decision to move to Donghae’s house. I wasn’t going to be as stupid. I didn’t want to be sent out of the city with a baby in my stomach again. I don’t want to go through the painful contractions that I felt when I was battling hard not to lose my baby. I didn’t want to have sleepless nights and experience painful yearnings for him anymore. I love and trusted him but I hadn’t expected to be hurt by him. I didn’t want to be constantly hurt by the same man again.

“I’m sorry, Hyukjae. Maybe you’ll realize that we’ve been together for so long because it had turned into a habit for us. Just…accept it. I can’t go back to you,”I released my hand from his grip.

I turned around just in time for tears to fall. I hurt the man I love and I hated it. Every single word I said, I regretted. We were together for so long, not because of habit but because we did love. But I couldn’t subject myself to being hurt once again. I was afraid already. Lee Hyukjae, sorry for all the things I said to you, when you’ve finally moved on, I don’t hope that you’ll forgive me. For I don’t deserved to be forgiven. It’s punishment for knowingly hurting you like that. However, I still wish you well in your future endeavours. I hope you have learnt something from this and find someone who is of the same caliber as you who deserves your love more than me. If I could say your name like how I used to one last time, Hyukjae oppa, I’m sorry.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel