Can You

Take Care of My Girlfriend

  It had been a few days since we all came back from Japan. I went back to work, not without apologizing to all the managers for the inconveniences caused by me leaving the country all of a sudden. Except for Jiyong, the smile that everyone gave seemed to be hiding something.

“Everyone hates me now,”I sighed during break time.

Jiyong looked up from his food.

“Are you thinking about it again? Yah, I’ve been telling you that they don’t for so many times. Are you not going to listen to me?”Jiyong shook his head.

“But…,”I opened my mouth to talk but he shut me off.

“But what? Stop using your emotions so much. In this industry, you need to use your emotions less and use your head more. You’ve gotten into so much trouble during our internship and you still haven’t learnt from that? It’s going to be hard on you if you continue wearing your heart on your sleeves and being so oversensitive. There’s politics going on in the working world and you’ll be a victim everywhere you go,”Jiyong stared at me.

Taken aback, I closed my mouth and gulped. Realising that he had lectured me, Jiyong sighed.

“Sorry, I’m just a little stressed cause you were away,”Jiyong said apologetically as he returned to his food.

“No, I’m sorry for being a burden,”I patted his hand.

He looked at my hand then at my face, smiling.

“To me, you aren’t. You need to be less sensitive. You’ll need it,”

The way he said it made me a little scared but I nodded before he launched into another lecture. The next few days went by with everyone still being a little hostile towards me. I tried to brush it off since I had Jiyong around. But one fine day, Jiyong’s behavior became suspicious. Whenever we talked, his eyes would be darting around instead of looking into my eyes like how he used to. He also seemed very distracted which made it even weird. I didn’t mention anything for fear of being lectured by him again. He would tell me what’s wrong when he wanted to. And it was after break time that he willingly came up to me.

“Haemin…, the director of the front office would like to meet you,”Jiyong refuse to meet my eye.

 “Why?”I asked.

“You would know…after meeting him…,”he mumbled as he continued looking at the marble flooring of the hotel.

I followed his instruction and went to look for the director. After knocking on his door, I got permission to enter his office. The man was one that was rather short but when he looked at me, I felt tiny all of a sudden. With his eyes alone, he exudes the scent of power.

“Director, you called for me?”I asked.

“Take a seat, Haemin,”he gestured towards the chair opposite him.

I closed the door and quietly sat down.

“It seems like Jiyong hasn’t said anything to you. Before calling you in this morning, I had a talk with him yesterday to talk about your probation,”he sighed.

“Did I do something wrong?”I asked timidly.

“No, Haemin. You’ve been wonderful during your days here. We would have let you come aboard as a permanent employee. But…the other managers and I have noticed that your health isn’t in a good condition. I asked Jiyong about it yesterday and he told me you’re anaemic. Is that true?”he asked.

“Yes, I am. But I can still hang on. I’ll work doubly hard to make up for my lack of health,”I rambled on.

“Haemin,”he said sternly to stop me from continuing.

Realising my mouth was open; I closed it, trying hard not to let him see my trembling lips.

“You know how tough this industry is. It’s rather impossible to work in your condition. Your shifts make it hard for you to rest well. Jiyong has told me that you look pale quite a few times and I’ve seen you come to the back office to rest so many times. I suggest you take a long break and rest to regain your health. Perhaps, you should even look for another job that isn’t so physically demanding…,”his eyes were piercing into mine as he spoke.

“Director, is it about me going out of the country suddenly? I can…,”but he cut me off.

“No, Haemin. When Jiyong first found out that your boyfriend wanted to bring you overseas, he came to me and asked if it was possible. I gave him the permission to do it so you don’t have to worry about that,”he said in a stern manner.

“But…,”I wanted to speak.

 “Haemin, this job isn’t for you. Your body can’t handle it. Yes, you are good technically, in fact, you’re doing brilliant. But I’m sorry, as much as I would like to keep you here, it’s heart breaking to see you suffer like that,”he sighed apologetically.

“There’s really no way for me to continue here?”I asked, unable to comprehend what he had just said.

“I’m sorry. You’ve been wonderful. Talents like you are needed in this industry but your health is too worrying. You need to focus on recharging for now. I hope to be able to work with you again someday though. Maybe by then, you would have found a job in the back of house which isn’t as physically demanding,”he stretched his hand out.

I sighed as I took his hand to shake it.

“Go home and rest well. You’re looking very pale right now. I’ll get Jiyong to send you home,”he stood up to send me off.

Standing near his office was Jiyong who was looking at me with a sorry expression.

“Jiyong, can you send her home? She isn’t looking very well,”the director patted him on the shoulder.

“Yes, Sir,”he bowed a little.

He turned to look at me.

“Is that why everyone had been hostile towards me? You all had been discussing about my probation and came to this decision. That’s why everyone had been avoiding me like the plague,”my voice quivered.

“I wanted to tell you but I couldn’t bring myself to,”he explained as we walked towards the back of house.

“What was your decision during the meeting?”I asked.

“I supported you, of course. I wished you could be here but…it was me against everyone,”his voice softened.

“Friend, thank you,”I smiled sadly.

“I’m sorry,”his eyes drooping a little.

“And I thought you were starting to hate me,”I giggled a bit.

“Of course not. Are you crazy?! We’ve been friends for so long! Besides, everyone did agree that you’re a good colleague during the meeting. It was really just about your health,”Jiyong patted my back.

After changing out of my uniform for the last time, I followed Jiyong out. Instead of leading me to the carpark, he brought me to the main road where a white Audi was parked.

“You called Hyukjae?!”I turned around to stare at him.

“I had to! I know you’ll be feeling upset and I wouldn’t know how to comfort you. He would know best,”Jiyong struggled to explain.

“Kwon Jiyong, you know fully well that Hyukjae and I have broken up,”I gritted my teeth.

“Yes but…,”

“Jiyong sshi,”a calm manly voice stopped him and I turned around to face the man whom I haven’t seen since I came back from Japan.

Dressed in a white blazer with his fringe styled upright showing off his features, he looked different from the Japan trip where he had let it down; looking like a boy instead of a man. He walked towards us, looking at me a little.

“I’ll take over from here. Thank you,”he bowed at Jiyong.

“Thank you, Hyukjae sshi. Haemin, I’m sorry,”Jiyong bowed before slowly walking away.

“Let’s get in the car first. It’s cold,”Hyukjae oppa reached out to touch me but I back off.

“I have a car. I can drive home,”I glared at him.

“How are you even going to drive when you are looking so pale?! What if you feel even weaker halfway?! If anything happens to you, are you going to be responsible for my heart break?!”he shouted, causing me to jump.

We stared at each other and that was when I realised there were tears perched on his eyelids. Those tears, I would understand best. My hot and cold attitude towards him was tiring enough for me. It must have been even worse for him. But I couldn’t help it. I just couldn’t bring myself to trust him fully just like how I did last time. It was a war of heart versus head.  When my heart is wavering, I would react to his kindness. If my head took over, I would hurt him with all my harsh words. But I didn’t mean any of it. My head just wanted him to back off so I wouldn’t be miserable ever again. Hyukjae oppa, I am sorry.

It seemed he understood as he took in a deep breath, closing his eyes tightly.

“Let’s get in the car. I’ll get the driver to pick up your car later, okay?”he said softly before opening his eyes slowly.

I merely nodded.

“Let’s go,”he said simply.

Hyukjae oppa walked away towards his car that was parked nearby. He opened the passenger side door and I got in without a word. He got into the car and started the engine. Without telling me where we were going, he just drove. Instead of getting scared, I felt…warm. I knew deep down that wherever he was bringing me, it was going to be a safe place. This guy sitting beside me would never pose any danger for me physically. With his presence, I knew I am safe from any evil.

I watched the car driving past streets after streets before we finally reached the Gangnam area where Hyukjae oppa called home. For a rich heir like him, it was natural for his parents to have bought him an apartment at such an exclusive neighbourhood. This place was like my second home where I have spent all my afternoons and dates with him here. Not to mention, Gangnam was where I stayed in before everything happened. Seeing the familiar streets, I felt nostalgic. Just like how I predicted, Hyukjae oppa stopped the car at the underground carpark of his apartment. He unbuckled his seat belt and got out and I did the same. Like a shadow, I followed behind him towards the lift lobby. The two of us waited for it with no words spoken.

“Oh, Haemin!”

The shock at seeing me back at this fateful apartment was evident on the ahjumma’s face. She walked as if she was in a daze towards us.

“Can you make a warm stew for her? She isn’t feeling well,”Hyukjae oppa finally spoke after so long.

“Of course, of course,”she hurriedly nodded and rushed off to the kitchen.

There was nothing but the sound of her ransacking the fridge for the ingredients. She laid them down on the table and was about to start by getting her apron when Hyukjae oppa suddenly had a hint of a frown. He went over to stop her.

“Bring her to the room to sleep. I’ll do the cooking,”he said.

“What? Hyukjae ah, can you even cook?”the ahjumma stuttered.

“I said I’ll do the cooking,”he evaded the question.

“But if your parents found out…,”he cut her off.

“They will not find out, for goodness sake,”he said sternly.

The ahjumma nodded her head furiously and hurriedly grabbed my hand. She sat me down on the bed that I previously used before moving into Hyukjae oppa’s room.

“What happened to him?”she asked.

“I don’t know. But he was like that after shouting at me,”I replied.

“That weird child. He must be feeling regretful for shouting. Anyway, you should rest. You look so tired,”she sighed as she looked at my face.

“I’m sorry for making you worry,”I tried to bow while sitting.

“Silly child. This is my duty. Until the day I die, I will continue taking care of Hyukjae and you. I’ve watched that stupid child grow up and I know how he is. You, Kim Haemin, will have to be his wife this lifetime or he will commit suicide,”she said.

With the way she put it, I couldn’t help but giggle.

“Don’t you laugh! I cannot imagine how miserable he would be if he were to be watching by the sidelines, watching you get married to another man. He probably wouldn’t even make it to the wedding ceremony. He would have jumped off the balcony in the living room after receiving the wedding invitation,”she shook her head.

“You’re exaggerating,”I tried to brush it off by laughing a little.

“Then, can you imagine yourself being in the sidelines? Can you bear watching Hyukjae that brat marry another woman?”she said in a tone that seemed like she was challenging me.

The laughter stopped immediately and the room became stuffy in an instant.

“Haemin, answer me. Can you?”she repeated.

End of Chapter

DarkAngel