Scavenger Hunt

Take Care of My Girlfriend

 

Just a month after its grand opening, the all day breakfast café has been slowly getting busier with each passing week. Though the turnout isn’t big, I was still glad there were patrons. Although it’s opened everyday, I only go down to help out during weekdays so that I could spend my weekends with Hyukjae oppa. He has been very helpful, coming down during his lunch break to eat with me and ferrying me to and fro. For that, I could not be thankful enough since I was usually really tired by the time I lock up the café.

As it was a Saturday afternoon, Hyukjae oppa and I had originally made plans to go out that day. However, a call woke us up from our slumber and I hurriedly answered it so that it wouldn’t disturb him.

“Hello?”I answered.

“Good morning, Haemin! I’m sorry to disturb you so early in the morning,”the supervisor of my café, Jungah greeted.

“It’s okay. Is something the matter?”I asked.

“Erm, a waitress couldn’t make it because she’s sick. We’ll be a little short-handed till tea-time before the other waitress can come in…,”she replied apologetically.

“I’ll come right away,”I told her firmly.

“I’m sorry, Haemin but I really tried asking around but its too late to get any help,”she explained.

“Don’t worry about it. I’ll be there so just hang on, alright,”I reassured her.

“Who’s that?”Hyukjae oppa groaned as I hung up.

“Jungah called to say a waitress fell sick. I need to go down and help out till tea time,”I sighed.

“What? We’re going out on a date today,”he frowned as he sat up in bed.

“I know. But I can’t possibly leave them hanging like that. They’ll be too tired,”I reached out to hold his hand.

“I’ll get Shinae to send a few people over,”Hyukjae oppa reached out for his phone and I hurriedly stopped him.

“Hyukjae oppa, my café and your chain of stores are two different things. How would your employee feel if they were forced to serve at my café? Please don’t do that. They might be unhappy,”I rested my chin on his shoulder.

Hyukjae oppa looked at me before sighing.

“Because this is your first time, I’m gonna let it go, okay? Tell Jungah that weekends are out of bounds,”Hyukjae oppa rolled his eyes as he lie down again.

“I’ll be free by teatime. So, why don’t you sleep in and I’ll meet you later?”I smiled.

He merely nodded as he closed his eyes.

“You’re the best,”I gave him a quick peck on his cheek before rushing to wash up.

I grabbed the car keys after I was done to drive to the café. When I finally reached, my staff greeted me and I quickly helped to take orders here and there. Though slow, the stream of people coming in were steady, filling up the tables. As it was a small café, it wouldn’t be very hectic even if it was filled up. As lunch time approached, I slowly released people for their break time. Soon, the steady stream of people stopped and the café became totally empty.

“Haemin, thank you so much for helping! I’m sorry to disturb you on your off days,”Jungah apologized.

“This is my café, Jungah. I ought to help out,”I chuckled.

A bell tingled and I turned around to greet the patron. However, it was a small boy with his hands behind his back that came in. Walking over to him, I bent down to meet him at his level.

“Good afternoon!”I smiled.

“Good afternoon. Er…may I know who is Kim….Hae…min noona?”he asked as he looked around curiously.

I raised an eyebrow as I surveyed the boy. I’ve never seen him anywhere.

“I am, little boy. Is there anything I can help you with?”I asked him.

Instead of answering me, he moved his arms forward, revealing a rose.

“This is for you, noona. Read the paper!”he shoved the rose into my hands before running off.

He was long gone by the time I registered what had happened. I read the paper that was attached to the rose. Looking at the handwriting, I immediately knew who it was from.

[This is the start of the scavenger hunt.

Use this clue to proceed to the next location. IMMEDIATELY. No waiting. You need to go off right now.

Clue: Slurp slurp~~ Do you like me?

Don’t wait or everything won’t fall in place!]

I had to stop myself from laughing as I read the clue. This scavenger hunt has got to be easier than I thought. I turned around and was about to explain to my staff when they all looked at me with a meaningful look.

“Sorry guys, but is it okay…,”

“Go ahead, Haemin,”Jungah smiled.

“Wait…you guys know about this?”I asked.

Jungah could only shrug.

“Did you purposely schedule one person less to get me out of the house? Did Hyukjae oppa ask you to do it?”I asked again.

“My lips are sealed, Haemin. Please just follow the clue,”Jungah answered.

“Okay then. I’ll get going. You all will be alright here?”I asked to make sure.

“We’ll be fine. Go!”Jungah gestured towards the door.

I got out of the café and climbed into my car. Taking out my phone, I dialed for Hyukjae oppa’s number but he didn’t pick up. This stupid Lee Hyukjae! What is he up to?! I released the handbrake and made my way to the noodles house that we went to when he first asked me out. Upon reaching, I slowly unbuckled the seatbelt before looking at the clue again. It has to be here, right? I got out of the car and slowly made my way in, looking around any sign of Hyukjae oppa.

“Excuse me, are you Miss Kim Haemin?”the waiter standing by the door asked.

“Yes, I am. I was asked to come here with this clue,”I waved the paper.

The waiter didn’t answer as he gestured to his colleague. His colleague disappeared and came back with a huge bouquet of lilies that were my favorite. As I was admiring the bouquet in my arms, he passed me another piece of paper.

[Well done, Haemin! Now, proceed to the next location!

Clue: Rabbit ears]

Rabbit ears? A theme park? It couldn’t be Everland since it was so far away. Then, it has got to be Lotte World where the two of us had bought it. I thanked the waiters and got into my car again. It took me about half an hour to get there and I was getting anxious. Lotte World was bigger than a restaurant. Who was I to look for? I took the clue and left the flowers in the car as I got out. I walked around the entrance for a bit. Do I need to buy a ticket? I guess I have to, right? To get to the cart where we bought the rabbit ears from. I made my way to the counter and queued.

When it was my turn, I asked for a ticket.The lady behind the counter paused awhile as she looked at my features. She lowered her eyes and looked up again. She did it for a second time before clearing .

“Excuse me, you are Miss Kim Haemin, right?”she asked.

“Yes, I am,”I nodded my head.

“Give me a minute,”she smiled.

She bent down and got out a small box and another piece of paper. I thanked her as I left the queue to look at it. I parked myself at the side and opened the small box. It was a pair of earrings resting on a cushion with the words, Jewel House imprinted. I chuckled as I took the paper that it came with.

[Not bad, Haemin. I had guessed that you could make it this far. This is the last clue so you better guess it right!

Clue: The first time our hands touched

Think carefully, Haemin. This isn’t as easy as the other two! Good luck!]

The first time our hands touched? I sat down somewhere and began thinking. It had been eight whole years since then. Was it our first official date? Where he brought me to have kimchi stew hand in hand. It has to be that place! It’s our first time holding hands! 

End of Chapter

DarkAngel