Chapter 27

Dragon bride

Even though it’s summer, after a rain fall the air will turn cold especially at night. However, this night seem to be much colder than usual almost freezing. Jaejoong stood on the roof top of his apartment complex deep in thought as a cold breeze blew pass. It had rained all day and only subsided as darkness graced the city. Even though the wind that touches his pale skin felted like ice he didn’t seem to care or felt it. So many things have happen, everything he had known were quickly changing as he has to adapt to it.

*Flash back*

“By coming back to save me shows how kind you really are….to fight against a group of people shows how courage you are….to put yourself at risk for others…shows how much you value those around you….not listening to warning and running into the face of danger shows how stubborn you can be….all of these trait is what made you strong….it’s what made you the perfect match for the young water dragon beside you….remember what I spoke to you about…if you wish for this world to end…let it run its course…if there is still something you hold dare…a connection to this world that is crumbling in its own sins…then you will have to protect him well…the future depends on the bond you both share…”

*End of flash back*

Just remembering this made Jaejoong felt like a heavy burden has been placed upon his shoulder which he himself isn’t sure if he can carry. From his point of view, this world has already lost its hope. Growing up he had witness the cruelty of this world, even he himself is part of that cruelty. If he thinks about it, there isn’t really anything here worth saving anymore. Letting the world continue on its course…letting everything come to an end seems like the correct course to take.

He closes his eyes and he could still see it, the minute ShinHye was shot in front of him and died, the way Soonjae was forced to take his own life rather than being capture by hunters, the way changmin looks at him standing on the opposite end of this fight. Everything up to this point was driving him up a wall; frustrate him, made him unsure of what to do. He can’t help but wonder if he had done something in his past life to upset the heaven that he will be reborn to bear this fate.

Jaejoong places the cigarette between his lip and inhale the smoke before releasing it into the air as it fades away. After not being able to smoke for days, to finally inhale such addictive smokes felted like heaven. He stood there in silence watching the city from above as multiple lights light up the city beautifully. Another wind blew pass as his soft locks of hair sway back and forth.

“Aren’t you going to put it out like usual?” Jaejoong asked with a grin as he slight turns his head to his right seeing Yunho standing behind him.

“Considering what has happen, I’ll allow it just this once” said Yunho as he walks over and stood beside Jaejoong

“You didn’t kill Gummy while I was away did you?”

“If I wanted her dead, she would have been dead long ago…although she is quite the bold woman to do such a disgraceful act right in front of me…”

Jaejoong chuckles a little “believe me you weren’t the only one surprise…it was my kiss that got stolen…”

Even though it was just a quick kiss, Yunho still didn’t like that fact that she kissed his bride. In the past no one dares to touch someone who is already bond to another. Such act will be frown upon and even punishment will be carried out. They stood there in silence gazing out toward the city in the direction where Soonjae had died. Neither of them spoke a word for a while. Jaejoong turn to look at Yunho as the city lights reflected upon his skin. Another breeze blew pass causing Yunho’s hair to sway slightly as his eyes shine a faint but beautiful golden light. Jaejoong can’t help but think Yunho really is handsome with his tall figure, well-toned body, those golden eyes, perfect nose bridge and jawline. When he first meet him, he had thought Yunho is handsome but to look at him this close again made him realize once again how handsome this dragon really is.

*Flash back*

SoonJae didn’t even turn to face jaejoong as he continues to gaze at the status of Christ with a worrisome expression filled with fear “the apocalypse….”

“Apocalypse?”

“A resurrection of dragons….a dark age….a reverting of time and space…” said ShinHye

“What does that have to do with me or Yunho?”

Soon jae lower his gaze and turn toward jaejoong with a serious expression “Yunho will have to rise to take his role as the new king but he can only assume his throne if you can save him from the darkness that will take him…if you can’t…he will rise as a new dark king and become the key to the destruction…this future, dragon bride….depends on your strength and courage to protect the dragon whose heart you shared…”

“I’m still not following you…are you telling me that Yunho will turn evil?”

“That is a possibility…”

“I don’t believe you!” snap jaejoong

“Water dragons have ability that none has…they are able to open gate way of space and time…Yunho is the last of the water dragon…the only one left who have that ability…in other words…he become a key to open the past and unleash before this world its ultimate destruction…” said Soonjae

*End of flash back*

Now that jaejoong think about it, he hardly knows anything about Yunho other than what he was told and the little glimpse he got into Yunho’s past. Other than that, he knows nothing about the water dragon race, what he likes, what he dislike and etc.

“Yunho…can water dragon open gate way to the past?”

This question surprised Yunho; he wonders how jaejoong knew of such a thing. He never mentions it so most likely Soonjae must have said some unnecessary things “yes…”

“So…if I ask you to open up a gate way to the past….will you be able to do it?”

Yunho look at jaejoong strangely who didn’t even turn to face him but kept his gaze toward the horizon.

“Jaejoong ah….to change the past…will mean to change the future….it is something that should not be touch or altered…”

Jaejoong was quiet for a few minutes before speaking once more “I wasn’t planning on changing anything…what has happen will remain the way it is….even I know how dangerous it is to go to a time that has passed and change something against its fate….”

“Opening a gate to the past is something that my race has been able to do for many centuries…although it is rare and risky…” said Yunho

“Why is that?”

“Using the pure essence of water…we can open gateway to the past however to open a gate requires a lot of power and strength…it puts one’s life on the line to open something that shouldn’t be open…”

“Have you seen a water dragon attempt to open one before?”

“Only once…”

“What happen to that person?”

“He died…”

Jaejoong became silent as well as Yunho for a good few minutes

“Neh Yunho…” Jaejoong spoke breaking the silence “tell me a little about your home….the life you grew up….about the water dragons….and about yourself…”

Yunho look at him strangely “why are you suddenly interested?”

“I need a little distraction…” jaejoong smile with a hint of sadness

Yunho looks at him once more before turning his gaze to the front. He didn’t say anything so jaejoong figures he probably didn’t want to talk about it. Instead jaejoong places the cigarette back between his lip and was about to inhale the smoke when Yunho reaches out and took it.

“Yah! I thought you say you will let me smoke…?”

Yunho conjures water as it slowly engulfed the cigarette putting it out completely “The water dragons lived on a piece of land that floats above the ocean water….it was a beautiful place built with white clay where flowers blooms…it is at its’ most beautiful when the sun begin to set…it was a place where all races can come together without fighting…without trouble and with nothing but peace…everyone who lived there were kind, gentle and helpful toward dragon and human alike…my ancestors built that place upon the values that everyone is equal...rather you are a fire dragon, a water dragon, an ice or earth dragon or even if you are human…everyone is seen as equal...”

“Sounds like heaven…” commented jaejoong

Yunho smile in return “indeed…it was like heaven…my father was the leader of the water race….he made sure peace among the different races were possible….he was a strong leader…full of power and strength...as well as wisdom and courage…he fell in love with my mother and took her as his bride…my mother was the kindest soul ever been born…she was beautiful as well as her heart and her intentions….everyone adores her….together, they made the perfect pair, a perfect match made by heaven….however before they were to be wedded….she became pregnant with me…they decided to hold off on the wedding until after I was born…and holding it off they did…as a child I had everything, loving parents, doting people that surrounds me…a beautiful place I call home… but…I was those typical kids who could care less about being a leader or taking the throne….instead I spend most of my time exploring my surroundings…causing a little troubles here and there…”

“So you were a naughty kid?” smirks jaejoong

“A bit…but mostly I was a quiet child who holds no interest in anything, I usually keep to myself most of the time…I get bored easily and if I do something…I always learn it quickly…but because of this, people thought I was slow witted...”

“No wonder Yoochun got jealous of you…” said jaejoong “you act as if you are dumb but in truth you are actually very smart but just not interested in doing anything unless you really want to….you made him think he is great and more powerful than you…”

“Well…he was an overly conceited kid who thinks he is an almighty god who has rights to boss others around…we both may seem to be very opposite but none the less we got along very well….we were constantly together....even after Yoochun learn that I wasn’t as slow as I seem…and that whatever I put my mind to it, I out beat him easily….he still remain as my friend even though he starts seeing me as a rival….back then Yoochun has the tendencies to get me into troubles…he will drag me along whenever he wants to get his hand on the fruits in my grandfather’s secret garden which he is very proud of and refuse to let people inside unless given permission….Yoochun will steal the fruits and consumes them…when he is caught red handed, he will quickly shift the blame onto me….not like I care much but that was how Yoochun was as a child….being with him was never a dull moment…even when he gets upset every time I out beat him or how I quickly become stronger and more powerful…he still remain at my side….”

“Don’t you have any other friends other than Yoochun?”

Yunho pauses as the expression on his face became bitter as an image of Boa flashes before his eyes. It took him a few minutes before answering the question “I did…there was a girl that I got along with very well….the three of us were very close…”

Jaejoong recalls seeing a girl with Yunho when he tapped into his memory a few days ago. It reminded him of what he saw, the cruelty Yunho suffer in the hand of that woman. Just because she was rejected she turns on him, betrayed his friendship and set him up to be hated.

“Was it a human girl?”

Yunho nodded his head “yea…”

“Was she beautiful?”

Once again Yunho nodded his head “yes she was…the most beautiful woman I had ever seen…she was kind…gentle…helpful toward anyone and is always thoughtful of others…she was strong willed and going out of her way to help anyone who needed help…”

Upon hearing him complement her made Jaejoong irritated as he turn to Yunho with a grin “let me guess…you love her too?”

Yunho didn’t say a word. He didn’t deny it nor did he confirm it. But if he didn’t felt this way about her, he would have denied it right away but he didn’t. The grin on jaejoong’s face disappears as he felt a pinch in his heart as his chest tightens.

“You…loved her didn’t you?” jaejoong asked in a serious tone of voice

“Rather I love her or not…it’s a thing of the past…”

Once again jaejoong recalls those painful memories he saw of Yunho’s past, of how she betrayed him. Looking at Yunho’s expression, jaejoong could tell he loves her indeed.

“Why didn’t you make her your bride then?” he asked out of irritation

“I was not looking for one nor am I interested in getting one….”

Could it be that the reason Yunho rejected her is because he didn’t want her to be hunted, didn’t want her to be in danger? It was his way of protecting her and yet she turns on him and ruins his home, his reputation and his life. Just thinking about it made Jaejoong’s blood boil.

“What happen to her?” Jaejoong asked

Yunho lifts his gaze toward the darken sky “she passed away…”

“If she was alive…I’ll probably beat her to a bloody mess…” jaejoong mumbles to himself

“What did you say?”

“Nothing…I didn’t say anything…” said jaejoong not wanting Yunho to know that he had someone how tapped into his memories without permission. If Yunho were to find out, he will probably be upset with him.

“Can I please ask you a question?” Jaejoong asked

Yunho couldn’t help but grinned “You have been asking a lot of questions…and now you want to be polite about it?”

Jaejoong clear his throat and looks away “why….did you decided to sleep under the ocean?”

Yunho didn’t say anything as a wind blew pass, dancing around them prickling them with icy coldness. He took off his long coat and places it over jaejoong to keep him warm.

“It was my way of atoning to my mistake…” he smile bitterly with a hint of sorrow

Jaejoong could only think of one thing that could possibly influence Yunho to make that decision even though it wasn’t his fault.

“A lot of things happen…a lot of lives were lost because of my recklessness….unlike my father…I was not able to lead…I was not able to make the right decision…and because of that…the place I call home was lost…the people who once care for me perished….the peace my ancestor kept alive were ruin…”

“So you decided to spend the rest of your life alone in a cold place without any interaction with anyone…”

“That was the plan…but…” Yunho turn to jaejoong with a gentle smile “that plan didn’t go as planned because of a certain little boy …”

“Oi…don’t shift the blame at me…if I had a choice…I would very much prefer to live instead of falling into the ocean… and let’s get one thing straight…I never asked for help…you helped me on your own free will…”

“Indeed I did…”

Jaejoong was quiet for a bit before asking “Do you regret it? You know…making me your bride and all…”

Yunho answered with a “no…”

Jaejoong grinned widely “really now? You did try to kill me at our first meeting…you were cold to me…being harsh…pushing me off the cliff which I could have died…”

“I was trying to be considerate of your feeling…..but since you wanted the truth…I did regret it at first….To see how you turn out disappointed me greatly….it angers me to the point that I wanted to retrieve my heart back and allow death to take you….but the more time I spent with you…the more I realize that what you did…what took place…the bad decisions that were made….made you who you are now…a stubborn man….but strong willed with endless courage to face the troubles before you….it made you fearless that you will jump into danger to save me….for that I am glad that it was the right choice to make you my bride…” Yunho smile warmly at jaejoong

This made jaejoong blush a little as he felt a bit embarrass no longer able to meet Yunho’s gaze “you…you are a natural sweet talker aren’t you….? You must have made a lot of woman fall in love with you”

“No…I don’t talk to woman much…to be honest…I find them exhausting….the only girl I had ever talked to is my friend Boa….she is probably the only girl I was able to converse with normally and felt comfortable around….”

By bringing up Boa, Jaejoong once again felt his mood change for the worst.

“Enough talking…it’s getting cold…we should we return or you will get sick…” said Yunho

He only took a few steps when jaejoong spoke “Yunho…”

Upon his name, Yunho turn around to face jaejoong but he became speechless. Standing there before him surrounded by city lights is a beautiful bride smiling as bright as the sun.

“I will protect you…no matter what happen…I will not let you fall…so trust in me…believe in me…I will never betrayed you…”

It took Yunho a few seconds before he was able to find his voice again. With a smile he spoke “I know…”

“Just promise me one thing…” said jaejoong “never…take your own life…whatever situation you will face…whatever challenges stands in your way…don’t kill yourself like Soonjae…not for anyone and especially not for me….”

Yunho stood there and stare at jaejoong who a wore bitter smile on his face. He knew this was a promise he probably can’t make because sacrificing himself to save jaejoong was how far he was willing to go in order to protect his bride. If taking his own life to insure the safety of jaejoong, he was willing to do it without any hesitation.

“I promise…” he spoke knowing very well this promise could be broken in the near future.

Meanwhile Changmin sat in the study room surrounded by mountains of books as he read through them, educating himself regarding the history of his family as well as all the branches of Shim. Growing up he was never interested in this and only care about dragons. His grandfather never pushed him to learn about their history either so there were a lot he has yet to learn. However, after going through a few books, their history seems more complex than just dragon hunting. Even when the family was divided into different branches base on the blood in their vein, it show a history of fight and bloodshed. Fighting dragon wasn’t the only thing his ancestor fought as fighting among each other was also a normal thing for power. The more pure your blood is of the shim family, the higher in the hierarchy you belong. According to the family record, ByungChul’s isn’t exactly a full blood. He himself is a bit more than half with his father being half and his mother being a full blood. This was enough to place him among the higher branch. However this family is quite strange. Byungchul’s mother is his aunt’s first daughter. She was forced to marry her uncle who is older than her by 10 years. Meanwhile MinSeok only bares ¼ of the shim blood line. His background however is limited and there isn’t much to read. The only thing changmin was able to find out is that his father was a half and was married to another halfblooded. However he had an affair with another woman outside of the shim family and she ends up pregnant with MinSeok. When this was discovered, Minseok was brought to the family however he was registered to the lowest branch while being taken care of by an elderly couple. It seems his father didn’t want to have anything to do with him but was forced by changmin’s grandfather to take the child in. Other than that, there wasn’t much record about his life but changmin could only guess the kind of torment MinSeok must have endured as a child. Junsu is only a half and was already treated horribly, to have ¼ of the shim bloodline, he must have suffer even worst. Other than these two, the rest of the branches seem very normal. Changmin had even tried to look into YongHwa’s history as well as those who lived in the shadows to protect the main house of Shim. As expected he wasn’t able to find anything regarding them. It seems they were born without an existence, no record of their birth, their parent, their family or their life.

He leans back against his chair and messaged the corner of his eyes. He had spent all day reading none stop as daylight turn into darkness. He lightly turns his head around as the sound of his stiffens neck cracks. He turns his chair around and looks out the large window as the moon hoovers above the city. He was so engross in his reading that he failed to realize the rain had stopped. The quietness made him even more tire then he actually is as he closes his eyes to rest a bit. The next thing he knew he found himself standing in total darkness. This causes him to panic as he turns around but no matter where he looks, it was just pitch blankness. Just then two large purple eyes started to glow in front of him. He can hear movements within the darkness but could not see what it was. Most people would have been frightened but changmin was calm.

“Where…am I…?” he asked

“A place you should not be…” a loud and strong voice spoke

Changmin was quiet for a bit before speaking “are you….perhaps…a dragon?”

“If I say I am and I plan to eat you right now…never allowing you to return to your body…what will you do?”

Upon this question changmin lower his gaze “I know I have no right to even ask this…but please don’t kill me….”

The dragon laugh loudly shaking whatever ground changmin stood on “You have causes others misery! You have caused death! What makes you think you have the right to ask for life?!”

“I am only asking you to spare me for the time being…once everything is completed…my soul is yours for the taking….”

“Enlighten me as to what you still have left unfinished that you would still want to live?”

Changmin was quiet for a moment before speaking “I had a friend whom I love more than anything…I am willing to sacrifice everything for him…”

“But you kill the woman he knew….you forced the dragon he was trying to help to kill himself…you betrayed his friendship….”

“NO!” changmin snapped “It was not my intention! I did not wish to kill anyone…I did not order anyone to kill her…whoever did it was not part of my plan…!!”

“But you still forced a dragon near death to take his life…”

Changmin clenches his fist tightly “indeed I did…that is the only thing I am guilty upon…the only thing that will hunt me for the rest of my life…the only thing that I regret most…”

“And your betrayal?”

“I did not betrayed him…I love him…but…I am weak…I am without power or strength…the only thing I have that can be use is this family that I am born into…this is the only power and strength I am able to obtain to protect him…”

The dragon once again laughs loudly “Do you really think using the strength of dragon hunters to protect your friend will work? You are too young and too naïve human….”

“Even so…I need to find an ending….I have to put an end to it all…this cycle of dragon hunting…this cycle of death and bloodshed between dragons and human needs to end….”

The dragon pauses as it looks at changmin suddenly interested in him “You….are shouldering more then what you can bear….things will not end the way you want it to….even if it does…the one who will be left in despair…left in ruin…is you…”

“That doesn’t matter to me…”

The dragon didn’t say a word as he only stares at changmin trying to understand him. As the dragon looks into changmin’s eyes, he was able to get a glimpse of his heart, what truly lies inside, what is the truth and what isn’t. He could tell if changmin was lying but everything that he had spoken was the truth. Even though changmin acts as if he is betrayed his friend, in truth he is probably more loyal to this friend than anyone else. He is willing to put himself on the painful end of this fight to protect his friend in his own way.

“I will make a deal with you human….” the dragon spoke “I will give you the power and strength you need…but when everything ends…your soul will be mine to devour…”

Changmin look into those large purple eyes without any hesitation as he spoke “Deal…”

A flash of purple lights appears as changmin closes his eyes and when he opens them again he found himself back in his study room surrounded by familiar objects. He quickly stood up and spun around looking at every direction. After concluding that he is indeed back in the study room did he finally calmed.

“What…the hell was that?” he wondered

A little light could be seen shining from his pocket as he digs inside and took it out. It was the piece of dragon scale he was able to find when Soonjae killed himself. It was glowing a bit in the palm of his hand. The little scale floated into the air and before Changmin could register what is happening, the scale flew toward him as it hit him in the chest. He felt it burn painful as he groans falling to his knee. The pain was strong almost like someone had cut him open while he was still conscious. After a few minutes the pain subsided as the light faded. Changmin looks down to his chest and noticed a hole in his shirt. He pulls the neck of the shirt away from him and to his surprise the scale has merged itself right into the middle of his chest. He tried to dig it out but it was impossible, it hurts every time he pulls on it.

*Flash back*

I will make a deal with you human….” the dragon spoke “I will give you the power and strength you need…but when everything ends…your soul will be mine to devour…”

*End of flash back*

Changmin had read before that through the scale of a dragon, a person could see and speak to the dragon the scale belongs to. In other words, that dragon was none other than the shadow dragon. He was able to speak to whatever fragment that is left of its souls through this piece of scale he came across.

“Did I just made a pack with the devil?…” changmin thought to himself with a bitter smile

Just then a knock came up on the door as changmin quickly grabs the black cloak sitting nearby and wrap it around his body to hide what had just taken place.

“Come in…”

The door open as YongHwa enters the room with a serious look on his face. He approached Changmin and bows to him.

“I have found the person responsible for killing that woman…”

This surprised changmin, he didn’t expect for YongHwa to find this person so soon especially when he seem hesitant in the beginning

“Take me to him…” said changmin

The next morning rain once again showered the city with endless water. The sky is covered in thick dark clouds as shadows covered the city. Jaejoong slept in his bed deep in dream land. Even the sound of rain splashing against his window echoing into the room did not wake him. Yunho stood in the room looking at jaejoong a bit before exiting the room and headed back into the living room where Junsu and Yoochun stood. To his surprise Gummy is no longer there.

“Where did that bold woman go?” He asked

“She went to work” spoke Junsu looking out the window

“Jaejoong is still sleeping?” Yoochun asked

Yunho nodded his head “he is exhausted….he may seem fine on the outside but his energy is low and weak…he will need to rest….”

“This rain…” spoke Junsu “I can’t help but get this ominous feeling from it like something terrible is going to happen…”

Yunho and Yoochun also look at the rain falling out side. As Junsu stated even they felt uneasy looking at it.

MinSeok sat in the dining room eating his breakfast as the sound of rain echoes into the room. After finishing his meal he took the napkin and lightly wipes his lip with it as he turns to gaze at the window. A smile spread across his face as if he is expecting something good to happen.

“Woman indeed has no patient….but…its better now than later I suppose” he spoke into the room

Jaejoong was still sleeping when he heard loud dropping of water in his room. It sounded almost like there is a leak on the roof allowing rain to slowly enter the room. He awoke from his sleep and pulls himself into a sitting position. He rubs his eyes and looks around but there wasn’t a leak anywhere. In fact the sound of water dripping has stopped. He could hear Yunho and the others talking in the living room as he pulls the blanket off of him. He stood up from his bed and only took one step when he felt something wet against his feet. He looks down and strangely enough there is a large puddle below him. He looks at the ceiling and there is no sign of a leak anywhere so how in the world is there a puddle here? Could it be that it was Yunho’s doing?

He looks at the puddle and sees his reflection and suddenly his reflection change to that of someone wearing a black cloak with the hood over his or her head. A hand reached out from the puddle and pulls him inside as silence filled the room.

Yunho who was in the living room suddenly felt Jaejoong’s presence disappear quickly rushes to his room. He opens the door and to his surprise, his bride has gone missing. He looks down and notices the puddle of water. It wasn’t normal water or is it rain water; he could sense magic within it as his expression darkens.

“Where did jaejoong go?” Junsu asked in a panic

Yunho walks into the room and bends down near the puddle. He reaches his hand toward it and felt the powerful magic similar to his own.

“Yunho…” Yoochun spoke his name almost as if he is guilty of hiding something from him.


Jaejoong opens his eyes and he found himself in a different realm. It was complete white with water below his feet as far as he could see. He can hear the sound of water as if someone is stepping into it coming from behind as he turns around and spotted a figure dressed in black with a cloak. The hood has been pull to cover this person’s face as he or she stops just a feet away from him. This person smiles before reaching for the hood and slowly pulls it down revealing the long locks of brown hair. At this point jaejoong could tell it’s a woman. As she looks at him he found her to be very familiar as if he had seen her before. An image flashes before his eyes of the same woman he saw with Yunho in the past. This surprises Jaejoong but he remain clam as a smile spread across his face

“You must be Boa I presume…”