Misseltoe cliché?

Markjin one shots

To everyone celebrating, Merry Christmas. To al those that don't, have a nice holiday.

He sighed deeply into the cold air, the air smelled of cold and snow, of hot chocolate and light wintery air. He buried his hands deep into his pockets to keep them from freezing off and lazily watched the people passing by his little booth.

His mom made these little Christmas decorations to sell at their annual Christmas market, and guess who had to sit behind the booth for hours on end in the freezing cold. You guessed it right.

He didn't mind it completely though, he liked watching people pass by, engaged in animated conversations about the upcoming holidays, or hurrying to get to where they had to be without freezing to death. Personally he didn't really see the point in Christmas. He liked it, of course, but he wasn't as hyped up as everyone else seemed to be.

Suddenly through all the people he spotted a familiar head of dark hair coming closer. And closer. Out of panick he ducked underneath the booth, praying he wouldn't see him.

"Excuse me" a soft voice asked somewhere above his head. 

Plan failed.

He janked his head back up violently, so violently he banged it hard against the surface of the table of the booth.

"Ouch" he muttered as he clutched his head.

"Are you alright" the voice asked again.

"Yeah, fine" he said while peeking over the top of the booth.

"Oh, hi Mark" the boy said in surprise.

"Hey" he answered awkwardly "can I help you" 

"Yes, I was wondering if I could get like, twenty of those" he said, pointing at a few large ornate Christmas balls.

"Twenty" he choked. Everything was hand made, so twenty was a lot. Jinyoung nodded nervously.

"Uh, let me go check." He quickly turned around and darted into the cafe behind him. He quickly looked for his mother and told her what the problem was.

"Twenty I can do, but it'll take about a week" she said "if he's willing to wait, then it's fine" she confirmed. He quickly went back outside, even if he rather stayed in the warmth of the cafe.

"Yes you can have twenty, but you'll have to come back next week to pick them up" he said softly, not looking at Jinyoung. He looked up when Jinyoug didn't answer and saw him wearing a huge smile that almost made him melt.

"That's awesome, do I pay you now?" He asked excitedly.

"Yes, that would be useful" he answered, and Jinyoung quickly looked for his money.

"Alright, I'll see you next week then" he said after he handed him the money, backing off and waving slightly.

"Okay" he said giving him a small wave back.

"Thanks a lot" he still heard him yell before he disappeared into the crowd. Unconsciously he smiled a little.

~

"He wanted twenty huge Christmas balls" Jackson laughed out.

"Dont judge me" he huffed as he stretched out "I had to help my mom"

"Still" Jackson said, laying his head on top of his arms "I bet you went all nervous" he giggled.

"Says the one who's giggling" he countered.

"At least not from nerves" 

"Gentlemen, last warning" the teachers voice boomed through the class. Jackson quickly hid behind his arms and he smiled at her apologetically. It had been about three days since Jinyoung had stopped by his little booth, but still Jackson seemed to think it was hilarious.

"Why did he want twenty Christmas balls though" Jackson questioned, head still on his arms.

"I don't know, maybe he has a big house" he chuckled out. "Or a big love for Christmas" he continued.

"Or a big love for balls"

"Okay that's enough, detention, the both of you" their teacher yelled at them. He had to try hard to keep his laughter in, but with one glance at Jackson's face he immediately failed at his attempts. They saw their teacher grow furious as their laughter resonated trough the classroom. She sighed, probably to done with them to also send them out again.

~

"Hey, where are you"

"What where am I?" Jackson voice boomed through the little speaker, forcing him to drag his phone a foot away from his ears "at that new cafe with Bambam, they're selling Christmas drinks remember"

"You're so basic" he sighed out "we got detention remember" he repeated Jackson's choice of words.

He heard Jackson curse loudly and Bambam in the background asking him what was going on.

"Oh God, I completely forgot, will you cover for me" he heard Jackson ask sheepishly. He could see Jackson's sheepish grin, and huge puppy eyes right in front of him and of course he couldn't resist.

"Alright alright, but this is the last time" he gave in. They both knew he didn't mean it.

"Thanks, you're the best" Jackson yelled, grin evident in his voice.

"Yeah yeah right" he threw a glance outside, the sky already turning dark, it would be a long night. "See you tomorrow" he asked.

"Yeah sure, thanks man, good luck" Jackson answered and hung up before he could say anything else.

"The brat" he mumbled.

"Excuse me" his teacher asked as she entered the classroom.

"Oh nothing" he said with a little smile.

"I thought there were two of you" she asked confused.

"Nope, just me" he tried, fingers crossed below the table hoping she wouldn't remember.

"Ah… okay, well, er, yes, it's getting late, I think you can leave now" she said vaguely. He stared at her for a moment before dashing out of the classroom before she changed her mind.

In his little blinded moment of happiness he ran into someone. The person he had walked into stumbled back a bit and glanced at him, a little smile spreading over his face.

"Someone seems happy" Jinyoung remarked. He flushed a little.

"Yeah, I just got out of detention early" he said happily, before realising how bad that sounded. He would probably think he was some sort of problem student. Jinyoung just chuckled.

"I thought there were two of you" he mocked his teacher words.

"You heard" he asked awkwardly, while scratching the back of his neck. Jinyoung nodded. "I was lucky she didn't remember, otherwise I would've had to come up with a whole cover up story" he said sheepishly.

"Yeah, that wouldn't have been good" Jinyoung agreed.

It was only now that he noticed a couple of large posters in Jinyoung's hands, slightly disheveled from their encounter earlier.

"What are you doing" he asked curiously before he could stop himself. Jinyoung followed his glance at the posters and smiled a little again.

"Promoting the upcoming Christmas event, you know, as I'm student body president" he said, not a all in an arrogant way.

"Chistmas event" he asked.

"Yeah, it's something new. We're organizing a party a couple of days before Christmas. Everyone gets to come in Christmas clothes and stuff, it should be nice" he explained.

"Ah, is that why you needed twenty of those Christmas balls" he grinned.

"You know nothing" Jinyoung said in a hushed mysterious voice. He chuckled.

"Need any help" he asked. Jinyoung looked at the posters, and back at him.

"Yeah, actually, that would be nice" he said, stuffing a few posters in his hands "just don't put them on any lockers, people always get super pissed about that" he said with a grin. He nodded in agreement and turned around to walk towards the opposite wall.

They worked their way through the school in silence. When they finally reached the front doors again Jinyoung sighed heavily.

"Done" he sighed out.

"Yep" he answered. Yep, what is that for kind of answer, yep, do you intend to sound stupid or something?

"Are you okay" Jinyoung asked him. He realised his face must have looked really troubled.

"Oh yeah fine, perfectly fine" he said, wanting to slap himself in the face. Jinyoung chuckled a little.

"I'll see you in a few days then" he asked.

"Huh what, oh yeah right" he stuttered, this was really going great.

Not. No it wasn't at all going great.

"Bye then" he said and dissapeared out of the door. He stared at the door for a good minute before realising what he was doing and quickly grabbing his jacket. He wrapped himself up tightly and stepped out into the icy winter night. He sighed and watched his breath form little clouds against the dark air.

He started walking home slowly, Jinyoung's little smile dancing in front of his eyes. Okay, so maybe he did have a little crush on the younger, and maybe he did get a little nervous around him. He was cute, no denying that. He was cute and ambitious and talented and kind. And it was super cute to see him working so hard in his role as student body president. He admired him. He sighed contently. He would see him again soon.

~

Okay, it really wasn't funny anymore. He buried himself even deeper into his jacket to try and keep himself from freezing to death. Again.

He had been eager to sit here today. But then he had realised that he had no idea when Jinyoung was going to turn up. Ten minutes later he had realised, he would soon die of hypothermia if Jinyoung didn't show up soon and he could take a tiny little break.

The people bustling by were sure still interesting but he was only focussed on finding one person. He wanted to see him, even if it was as long as picking something up would take. He liked seeing him.

He sighed deeply and crawled even further into his jacket ducking down his face. He noticed the sky slowly filling with white specks. It was snowing.

"Why is it that you always look like you're freezing" a familiar voice asked in front of him. His head shot up and he stared right into Jinyoung's beautiful smiling face, specks of snow covering his dark hair. "You'd think you'd have learned by now" he chuckled.

He smiled slightly "apparently not" he said softly, barely able to speak, mesmerized my Jinyoung's snow clad appearance until Jinyoung's head turned to look behind him.

"You know, I actually have to get some more stuff, would you like to have a look around with me" he asked turning back, smile still plastered on his face even if snow was raining down on him and he was deeply buried into his jacket to protect himself from the cold. His smile widened.

"Yeah sure, I could use some exercise" he complied. He quickly got up and pushed his way out from behind the booth.

"So what is it that you're getting" he asked as he walked up next to Jinyoung hands buried deep inside his pockets.

"I'm not completely sure" Jinyoung said uncertainty "a lot of decorations" he continued.

"For the party" he asked.

"Yeah, it's in a couple of days from now" Jinyoung said as they walked past a booth catching the smell of hot food.

"And the person that came with the idea didn't give you anything to go from" he asked in disbelief. Jinyoung chuckled.

"I am that person" he said, now laughing. He burst out in chuckles too.

"That explains" he managed to say, Jinyoung laughed even harder.

"Oh, streamers" Jinyoung suddenly said, pointing at a booth not far away. As he watched Jinyoung look through the decorations, he realised that Jinyoung was just a person too. He wasn't some sort of scary guy that was way out of his league. He was just Jinyoung, and he was pretty awesome. He knew all that of course, but getting to know him made him see that he was even better. His smile widened.

"What" Jinyoung asked "I look like a dork don't I" he chuckled out.

"No, you look like a dork buying Christmas decorations" he said with a laugh. Jinyoung laughed too.

"Well, we do have a lot to decorate" he admitted as he untangled a rather long string of Christmas lights. He nodded in understanding as Jinyoung paid for the lights.
"A lot" he repeated.

"If you need any help" he offered.

"That would be nice" Jinyoung said as they continued walking.

"Doesn't the rest of the student body help you" he asked curiously as they passed a hot chocolate stand.

"They're not really in for the idea" he admitted "what" he asked as he noticed that Mark had stopped. He nodded his head towards the stand.

"My treat" he said. 

"I wouldn't dare say no" Jinyoung answered. He walked up towards the stand and ordered two hot chocolates as Jinyoung sat down at one of the little tables placed around it. He brought their mugs towards the table and sat down, wrapping his hands around the mug to warm them up. He looked up at Jinyoung who was smiling contently, also warming his hands.

"You're really alright you know" Jinyoung suddenly said. His eyes widened in confusion and Jinyoung chuckled a little.

"Everyone's always on about how you're so quiet and cold, but you're really not" he explained seriously. He laughed at this. So he wasn't the only one intimidated by his company.

"I used to think the same of you" he admitted.

"That I was cold" Jinyoung asked indignantly.

"No" he laughed out "that you were quite intimidating"

Jinyoung chuckled at this.

"We're really weird aren't we" he asked while laughing. He nodded, laughing too. They soon finished their hot chocolate and returned to Mark's booth, way to early in Mark's opinion.

"Do you still want to help decorating" Jinyoung asked as he handed him the Christmas balls.

"Of course" he said.

"Great, can I see you at school tomorrow then" he asked.

"Of course" he repeated with a smile.

"I'll see you tomorrow then" Jinyoung said as he once again dissapeared in the crowd of people.

His smile widened, not so unconsciously this time.

~

Closed. The door was closed. 
Well, they didn't really arrange a time, or exact place. And he didn't have any way to contact Jinyoung either. He shivered and turned around, ready to leave for some place warmer and try later, when he saw a dark figure make his way towards him through the snow.

"Hi" Jinyoung said softly "freezing again are you" he chuckled. He only nodded and quickly slipped inside as Jinyoung opened the door for him. He sighed out contently and shook off his thick layers of clothing.

"Alright, this way" Jinyoung said pointing towards the big common meeting place of the school. The huge room didn't really have a name or exact purpose, but students usually just sat there and talked or studied. He nodded and followed.

"So" Jinyoung started.

~

Six hours it took them to get the place ready, but he had to admit it looked nice, really nice.  He sighed and dropped himself on the ground, back resting against the wall. Jinyoung plopped down next to him and sighed as well. He looked at him, glitter in his hair from all the glittering decorations.

"Thank you so much, I couldn't have done it on my own" he said.

"No problem. It really looks great" he said.

"Yeah" Jinyoung sighed out. They sat in silence, admiring their work for a while.

"I just realised" Jinyoung broke the silence "I haven't asked you if you're coming" he said looking at him expectantly.

"You haven't" he teased.

"So are you" he asked impatiently. He sighed.

"Actually I'm not sure" he said honestly.

"Oh" Jinyoung said.

~

It was today. He sat staring at the wall opposite from his bed. He had sat here for almost half an hour, thinking about wether he should go or not. It had probably already started by now, but he really didn't know what to do.

Jinyoung had sounded so dissapointed when he said he might not be coming. But that could also be his imagination. He didn't even have anything Christmassy to wear. Loads of black stuff, but nothing Christmas worthy.

Was this how people felt before a date? So extremely confused that they considered not even going. He sighed for about the hundred time and got up. An hour. Yeah, he'd go for an hour. He might not even see Jinyoung. There were probably a lot of other people anyway. That reminded him, he didn't even know if Jackson was going.

Whatever.

He got up as if in a trance. He threw open his closet doors. What if Jinyoung didn't even like him. Maybe Jinyoung just saw him as a friend. Maybe Jinyoung didn't even like boys. He ripped a fancy black pair of jeans out of the closet. Maybe he shouldn't go. He would be all lonely if he didn't find Jinyoung. Black sweater? No? Yeah black sweater, no hood. Maybe it would be nice. Maybe he would enjoy it. Hair styled? Nah, it was fine, it was just casual anyway. Probably.

He sighed deeply and trampled down the stairs. He was doing it, no turning back. As he walked out snow came crashing down on him. Perfect, that's all he still needed, for the weather to ruin his efforts to look at least decent. He rushed towards school as fast as he could, arriving covered in snow and out of breath.

He hesitated in front of the entrance. There was loud music playing and he could see people dancing happily. The room looked even more beautiful than it had when they were done decorating, now with all the lights and the snow falling against the dark windows. It looked just as he had hoped it would after their effort.

Maybe he shouldn't. This was a bad idea. He was ready to turn back around and head back home to crawl into his bed and rethink his entire life when a familiar figure pushed his way towards him through the crowd.

"Mark, you came" a smiling Jinyoung exclaimed, his smile wiping away all the hesitation left in his body and turning it into a similarly bright smile. 

"I wouldn't miss it" he lied. Well, he wouldn't want to, but, you get what he meant. Jinyoung came to stand next to him and looked out over the dancing people.

"It looks good doesn't it" he said, a hint of pride in his voice.

"It looks amazing" he agreed.

"I'm not really enjoying it though" he suddenly remarked. He turned his head to look at him.

"Why not" he asked. Jinyoung looked at him and smiled.

"I'm not really a party person" he said. He burst out laughing. "What" jinyoung asked confused.

"Me either" he confessed, which made Jinyoung burst out in laughter too.

"Let's go" Jinyoung said pulling him into the crowd of dancing people. He could now hear clearly that it was Christmas music being played, and he saw people in the strangest Christmas themed clothing. Sparks ran up his arm where Jinyoung's hand touched it. He pulled him towards a corner surrounded by lights, abandoned by people, with a great view of the entire space. Jinyoung suddenly jumped.

"Wait, how late is it" he asked, just as he started to hear a strange noise above his head. He checked his watch.

"Eleven, why" he asked curiously. He looked at Jinyoung who had his eyes fixed on the ceiling. He followed his gaze expectantly, but couldn't see anything, he could only hear the odd noise.

Suddenly, about a hundred pairs of little mistletoe branches fell from the ceiling, dangling on little ropes. His eyes widened.

"Surprise" Jinyoung said with a chuckle.

"When did you do this" he asked in surprise. He watched as several people kissed each other happily, while others were looking at the misseltoe as though it was an executioner carrying an axe.

"When we were decorating, just after you went home" he admitted.

"What" he exclaimed "You told me you would go home and rest" he said concerned. Jinyoung chuckled lightly.

"I couldn't let you know" he said. He chuckled as well. Just then he noticed a little branch of misseltoe dangling above Jinyoung's head. Jinyoung followed his eyes and they grew big as well.

"That wasn't planned, I swear" he said nervously. He just stared at the misseltoe.

"Er" he said, nervous as well.

"Hey Mark, you here too" a voice suddenly boomed over the already loud music. His head shot in the direction only to see a widely grinning Jackson.

"Guess who I just kissed" Jackson continued "Oh never mind, let's dance" he said pulling Mark into the crowd of dancing people. He just managed to throw Jinyoung an apologetic smile before being surrounded by dancing people. 

Jackson seemed to have no problem manoeuvring around the twirling limbs and racing feet, but he was having a hard time, catching a hand with his face and getting stomped on his toes a few times. This reminded him of why he really didn't like parties. 

After what felt like ages he managed to break away from Jackson with the excuse that he was getting a drink. He pushed his way back through the crowd and wandered through the open doors that led into the courtyard of the school. It was still snowing lightly and he immediately started shivering again.

Even the croutyard was decorated. He knew, because he and Jinyoung had done it, but it looked way better now that it was dark. The lights sparkled softly and it really made him calm again. He sat down on a little wooden bench and shivered again. 

Suddenly a heavy and warm piece of clothing landed on his shoulders.

"You really never learn do you" he heard Jinyoung say behind him, putting another smile on his face. He sat down on the bench next to him and stared in front of him. "It's winter you know"

He looked aside to look at him and all he could think of was that Jinyoung looked beautiful. Before he could stop himself he leaned in and lightly pecked Jinyoung's lips. Jinyoung looked at him with wide eyes. He leaned back and looked away.

"Sorry" he said softly.

"You better be" Jinyoung said sternly. He looked back at him in shock.

"There's no misseltoe" he said with a smile. He smiled back widely shaking his head a little.

"So it was planned" he asked eyebrows raised, leaning in a little again.

"Maybe" Jinyoung admitted cheekily. He dug into his pockets and pulled out a little branch. "Does this count" he asked holding it above their heads.

"If you want it to" he said. Jinyoung grinned and leaned in for another kiss, this time under the misseltoe.