Partners

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Su Ji jumped at small noises and looked around warily for the rest of the day. Grandma kept trying to reassure her that there was nothing to be afraid of out here, and Su Ji finally told her about that creepy man and the wolf and Grandma's eyes filled with shock.

"All that on the same day, too," she said.

"I know," said Su Ji. "And honestly... I found the wolf scarier. I really thought it was going to attack!"
Fear coursed through her veins as she remembered again the large white wolf taking a step towards her, the way it's dark eyes had remained fixed upon her – it hadn't looked at her like a hunter looks at it's prey; it was something more. Something deeper that sent invisible fingers of chills creeping down her spine.

It didn't help to learn that apparently she was the only person to have seen the wolf at such close quarters and it kind of made her into a mini-celebrity at school. Grandma had only one person about it, but that person had seen it as an excellent story to tell.

The very next day it had happened – and it was only her second day of school, too – as soon as she had gotten into the bus, all eyes turned to her, a mixture of frank curiousity and wonder.

V had pulled her to the seat behind the one he was sharing with Jungkook, right next to Hoseok.

"Hey," said Hoseok, smiling widely.

"Spill," ordered V.

"Ummm.... what?" said Su Ji.

"The wolf!" cried V. "Is it true that you saw the wolf yesterday?"
"Oh..." The invisible finger a chill down her spine. "Um... yes, I did see it."
"My God," said Jungkook. "It went all around town, by now I think everyone knows about it."
"Was it scary?" said V. "Why did it appear? Where did it appear?"
Su Ji sighed and recounted her way back from school, omitting the creepy man – things were already dramatic enough with the wolf, she didn't need her encounter to be an added bonus to the gossip.

"I still don't get it," said Hoseok. "I mean... the only sightings anyone has ever had with that wolf was quick and distant... like, it never shows itself."
"It's very shy," agreed Jungkook. "I've never seen it even once, to be honest, though I can hear it."
"Urgh, it keeps howling all the time now!" said V with a whine. "Every night it will just wake me up and give me the creeps!"
Jungkook laughed. "Don't tell me a little howling scares you?"
"It just makes my skin crawl, urgh!"
Jungkook poked V in the ribs, laughing until his face turned purple. "You chicken!"

Hoseok gently touched Su Ji's arm. "Are you all right?" he asked. "I mean... are you afraid? I know I would be!"

"A bit," admitted Su Ji.

Hoseok was about to say something when V cut in, "Hyung, help me throw Jungkook out the window!"

Once the bus reached the school, Su Ji could feel the stares and the hushed whispers of "It's her!"
Great. Day two and already she had to stand out – in this case, it was just because she happened to be one of the rare people who saw that wolf up close.

She had to talk about it three times while they waited for Assembly to start, and afterwards when she took her seat next to Namjoon, he wanted to know about it too.

"Did it hurt you?" he asked.

She shook her head.
"Are you sure?" he pressed. "Did it not even touch you?"
"It didn't – I told you, it even ran away after."
Namjoon pursed his lips, and for one second Su Ji thought that he looked disappointed – was he disappointed that she wasn't hurt? But then his face returned to it's cold expression of indifference, and Su Ji forgot about it.

Yoongi showed up in the middle of class, and though he didn't have a tardy note or even an explaination as to why he was late - besides a careless shrug - Teacher Jang let him take a seat.

Su Ji couldn't believe it – if any other student had done that, they would be sent straight to the principal's office! Did Teacher Jang do this for all the students or was Yoongi an exception?

His collar was ed too, and his hair all mussy from oversleeping. How could he get away with that, too? Just this morning, a teacher had barked at V to comb his hair and no one said a thing about Yoongi's appearance.

Su Ji sneaked a glance at Yoongi; he sat slouched over his desk. He turned his head and met her gaze; she held it for a fraction of a second before she felt something jump around in the pit of her stomach. But what made her tear her eyes away was the chill that spread down her spine once more...

She shuddered and tried to focus on her textbook. She was just being oversensitive... there was no reason why Yoongi should give her chills, and she had no reason to believe that he was as scary as the others found him to be.

She cleared her thoughts, and forced herself to listen to what was going on in class.

Teacher Jang was explaining their assignment for Literature class. "We're doing Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird," he was explaining. "It's an American novel set in the 1930s. You will need quite a bit of background in order to fully understand the novel, such as the history of slavery and the Civil Rights Movement. Ah, and the Great Depression – does anyone know anything about that?"
Namjoon raised his hand calmly, and once the teacher called on him he explained, "It started when the stock market crashed. There was mass unemployment, inflation, depreciation of the American currency and the economy became stagnant."

"To sum up, a period of extreme poverty," finished Teacher Jang. "The Great Depression was hard for everyone. This is just one of the backgrounds – the other one goes back hundreds of years. Does anyone know what that could be?"
Again, Namjoon raised his hand. "Slavery."

"That's right," said Teacher Jang. "People from Africa were kidnapped and brought to work in the American platations; it was especially in the Southern states that they used slave labour. In the 1860s, America experienced a Civil War between the Northern and Southern states, and one of the main issues was slavery. The North wanted to abolish it, the South's economy depended upon it. The North won, and slavery became abolished. However, though they were free, they were still treated as second class citizens. 
"The African-American community was seperated from the white community – seperate schools, hospitals, roads, buses, everything. This ended in the 1960s with the Civil Rights Movement. In To Kill a Mockingbird, issues of race are part of the main plot. They are outdated and problematic now but at the time it caused quite the stir. I'd like our discussions to include this. Also, notice the hypocrisy of a government which was funded on The Declaration of Independence,  which maintained that all men were created equal. They only meant men, and only white."


Su Ji glanced around; by this time, Yoongi was alr

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter