Bitten

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Instead of the wolf there was a dark-haired boy, with crazed eyes and a snarling mouth. Those crazed, bloodshot eyes were staring right at her, and he said hoarsely: "Mate... mine..."

Su Ji tried to battle the rush of panic and get up and run, but she froze as the boy placed one hand on the bite on her neck. When he removed his hand, there was blood dripping from the fingers.

That seemed to bring him back to his senses; his eyes did not look like a crazed animal's anymore, instead, they filled with remorse.

"What..." he muttered, his voice shaking. "What have I done?"

Su Ji's neck stung; but that was nothing compared to what was churning inside her. The wolf had just been there.... now Yoongi was here... why had the wolf bitten her tonight?

Yoongi stared at her, ahghast. "Just what..." he muttered. "have I done to you?"

He touched the bite again and his face crumpled. "Oh god! What happened?"

"I don't know!" Su Ji snapped. "You tell me! What just happened? Why are you here? Where is the wolf? It was just here and then you... you..."
No. That wasn't it. She was crazy just for thinking it. Yet as she looked at Yoongi, she could somehow recognize those eyes: she had seen them often enough in the forest.

"What is it?" he asked anxiously. "Finish your sentence!"
His voice bordered on hysteria... funny that he seemed to be more afraid right now than she was...

"You..." she whispered. "You're the wolf, aren't you?"
Yoongi drew in a sharp breath. "I swear, I don't know how this happened-"
"You're the wolf!" she cried. "Aren't you? Please, answer so I don't feel like a lunatic..."
Yoongi's eyes slid down to the ground, as though he was too ashamed to even look at her as he said, "Yes. I am the wolf."

 

****

 

It did not happen often that wolves lost total control of themselves like that. Namjoon had witnessed it once before, a few years ago: a wolf on a rampage, destroying and lashing out at everything around. It had been past reason and Namjoon had been forced to step in and do his duty.

What he had just witnessed was similar, though it had one major difference: this time, the wolf had not been on a completely uncontrollable rampage, there was one person in control of it and she had no idea at all.

Namjoon had watched expressionlessly as Yoongi had touched the blood he had drawn from the girl – surely, he was in mortal agony right now, wolves could not bear to see their mate in pain, and what was worse was that he himself was the cause of it.

Namjoon was pretty sure that Yoongi didn't even know what was going on – he had simply been over taken by his wolfish side. Had he ever even heard of mates? Namjoon knew that Yoongi had not even spent a full five months with his parents once he had been born – the purges had already begun.

He sighed and decided to take a walk in the forest, to make sure Yoongi didn't act on any other savage instincts.

But also... part of him wanted to make Yoongi stay away from his new mate.

 

****

 

In all honesty, Su Ji had no idea how she even got home the other night. She was a crying mess of panicked and frayed nerves, but for some reason, one thing was absolutely clear to her: she must not let anyone see the bite on her neck. She had pulled up the collar of her coat so Grandma wouldn't see when she got back, and though she ached to be hugged and comforted, she sought refuge in her room instead. What could she even tell Grandma? A wolf attacked her and then turned into a boy? Grandma would think she was crazy or lying to get attention... come to think of it, had it really even happened? Maybe it hadn't happened in reality.... yeah, come to think of it, the memory was starting to dim.

The image of the wolf transforming into a boy crossed her mind, sharper and clearer than ever.

Oh, who was she trying to fool? It had happened! She had seen it with her on two eyes! And as far as she knew, there was nothing wrong with her eyes – or her brain.

Su Ji pulled the covers over her head after she dressed and cleaned the wound, tossing and turning all night, trying to convince herself that she had imagined the whole thing. All night, she saw over and over again the boy crouching beside her, looking as terrfied as she felt, and the way he had almost tenderly touched the bite.

 

****

 

 

"No!" said Su Ji for the upteenth time.

"Why not?" huffed Grandma. "You never had any troubles going to the bus stop alone before! Honey, what happened, hm?"
"W-what do you mean?" said Su Ji nervously.

"You look absolutely exhausted," said Grandma, touching her pale face. "You didn't sleep at all last night, I bet. I noticed you shivering when you came back last night, but I let it go because you looked panicked but I knew you wouldn't say anything. So... what happened, honey?"
"Nothing!" she cried. "Really! Nothing happened! Just..."

"I know something happened." Grandma sighed. "Are you sure you can't tell me?"
Su Ji just looked at her hopelessly. I can't even belieeve it myself, how can I tell you such a thing?

"All right," said Grandma. "Just... if it happens again, or if you're in any danger, or... or when you're ready to talk about it... tell me. Promise?"
Su Ji's heart swelled – she hated to make her grandmother worry like this, but what choice did she have?

Wordlessly, she wrapped her arms aro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter