Pawprints

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ow!" cried Su Ji, jerking awake.

 

"Sorry," said Yoongi sheepishly. He had woken with a start, bumping his head against her jaw and waking her up, too.

 

"What's with you?" she grumbled, rubbing her jaw – not only was his head heavy, but it was hard, too!

 

"There's someone at the door," he said. "It startled me."

"Who's at the door?" she wondered, and they heard a faint knocking noise. "Stay here, ok?" she said. Yoongi nodded, burrowing under the covers, most likely going to sleep again. He needed it, after the night he had.

 

Su Ji ran down the stairs, trying to fix her hair with her fingers. Hoping it was no one she had to make a good impression on, she opened the door. "Hosoek!" she cried, in surprise. "What are you doing here?"
 

He smiled at her, his entire face brightening up. "Having a nap, were you?"

Her hands flew to her messy hair, and he laughed.

 

"I was, yeah," she said. "Do you want to come in?"

He nodded, and she stood aside, letting him pass her before closing the door again. She led Hoseok to the living room, and invited him to take a seat on the couch while she occupied the armchair.

 

"So," he said, not smiling anymore. "You weren't at school today."

"No," she said, suddenly realizing it was a school day. "I overslept by accident this morning."

He looked at her searchingly. "Are you sure it was by accident?"

Su Ji tensed. Did he somehow know about Yoongi?

"I mean, you aren't avoiding us on purpose, are you?"

She relaxed – no, this had nothing to do with Yoongi's real identity. "No, Hobie, why would I avoid you?"

He sighed. "I'm sorry about how we acted, you know, yesterday. I guess it was a big surprise for us – you never spoke to him in front of us, and then yesterday you were being all... all chummy... ok, can I ask you a question?"

She nodded.

 

"Yoongi... are you very sure you aren't in some kind of trouble with him? Because if you are, you can tell me – I'll try my best to help you and-"

"Hoseok," she cut in. "I appreciate your offer. Really. But he didn't do anything to me – you have a very wrong idea about him."

"You didn't see him back then," said Hoseok, his words falling over each other in his haste to get them out. "If you had talked to him a few years ago, he would have beaten you to a pulp. And his eyes... I don't know why, but there is something definitely wrong with that guy, and I hate the way he looks at us, like we're dirt. Su Ji, there is just something about him that feels very, very wrong – I don't know how to explain it, but he's weird."

Not this kind of talk again. Of course there was a strange feeling about him, he was a wolf for goodness' sake! Also, for three years now he blamed himself for someone's death, there was no way he could mingle freely with other students and be friendly after that incident.

 

"What if," said Su Ji. "There were reasons for that?"

"Of course there are reasons for that!" cried Hoseok. "That's why we avoid him – we don't want to get mixed up in whatever it is that he does."

"No," she said. "I mean... what if you all misunderstood?"

"That's a possibility, but I don't think so."

Su Ji felt like shaking him – he was by far the friendliest and most understanding person at school, and if he had such stubborn ideas about Yoongi, the others would be even worse. Maybe it was wrong that she wanted to make them see that their fears are pointless, that she wanted to make Yoongi feel like he belonged there... maybe people just weren't willing to accept him. She supposed that was ok – they were in their final year, after all, and the exams were coming up fast. Still, there was a twinge of disappointment.

 

"Ok, I'm sorry," said Hoseok. "I mean... listen, if you insist on hanging around Yoongi at school... the others won't really talk with you, you know that right?"

She nodded – this was just like her school back in Seoul, where the few individuals who didn't fit in were cast aside, and the people who spoke to them were cast aside as well. But it still hurt – Hoseok, V, Jungkook... they were supposed to be friends.

 

"It's not about you," said Hoseok. "You'll still be our friend, but if he's always there with you... we can't act too freely with you." His eyes clouded with sadness. "I'll really miss you, though... oh!" he brightened up, suddenly struck by an idea. "Who says school is the only place we can meet? Su Ji, let's meet after school somedays and have a study group!"

"A study group?" That didn't sound very fun.

 

He nodded excitedly. "Yes! You know, the exams are basically only a month and a half away, and-"

"What?" she yelled. "A month and a half?"

They were coming up that fast? She hadn't realized it... lately, school had taken a back seat, but it was time to really get back to it – she needed to score well in these exams to get into a good college, after all.

 

"I could use that study group," she said.

 

"So could I," said Hoseok. "Ok so... let's keep it small, because if it's huge I don't think any work will be done. You remember when I talked about my tutor? She'll be there."

 

"Can I bring some friends over?" asked Su Ji, seeing a good oppurtunity.

 

"How many?" he asked.

 

"Two," she said.

 

"Sure," said Hoseok. "It'll be fun! Shall we start tomorrow after school, for an hour or two?"

 

"Great!" said Su Ji, clapping her hands together once. "See you tomorrow, then!"

 

Things would be perfect if Yoongi agreed to go – and Namjoon too, they could all use his help. She would tell them when the right moment came, she promised herself.

 

After Hoseok left, Su Ji didn't get a chance to go back up to Yoongi, because Grandma came home.

 

"Grandma!" She greeted the old lady with a tight hug around her middle. "I miss you, why are you always going around hospitals now?"

"Aigoo, what brought on this affection, hm?" Grandma drew Su Ji slightly away, studying her face. "Hmm... are you sick? You were so tired you wouldn't wake up this morning."

"I guess I was just really tired," said Su Ji. "Don't worry, I'm fine."

"Your face isn't pale anymore – looks like a nice day of sleep did you good."

Su Ji nodded – yup, sleep and Yoongi did her a lot of good.

 

"How is Mrs Choi?" she asked, remembering why her grandmother had left the house in the first place.

 

"She's recovering, but the poor thing is terrified! Did you know that she still hasn't been able to give her statement to the police?"

 

"Why not?" asked Su Ji.

 

"She gets a panic attack when they ask her – she's terrified. Jimin gave his statement, though. Ah right," she said, remembering. "I saw him today – he's a nice boy. He's returning to school tomorrow, he said."

Jimin. Perhaps... perhaps he had seen the wolf? Maybe he even knew who it was.. Su Ji knew it was unlikely, but he was the only witness. Maybe Namjoon should talk to him.

 

"The Forest Department is so irresponsible!" Grandma frowned. "Three people have now died, and in such a short time too! They just said not to go near the forest without protection – they should do something more! I don't know what, but they should do their duty."

Su Ji felt guilty that she was glad the authorities weren't sending any secrity forces – Yoongi would hate not being able to phase.

 

Grandma muttered under her breath and headed to the kitchen. Su Ji blocked her. "You're not going to cook dinner now, are you? Grandma, you should rest! Here, go lie down – you don't need to cook anything right now, you always keep the fridge full of food, so we can just eat that."

Grandma sighed. "You have a point – shall I go rest now?"

Su Ji nodded. "Yes, go rest and I'll call you when dinner is ready, ok?"

"Thanks, honey." Grandma nodded, and went down the corridor to her room, and Su Ji ran up the stairs.

 

Yoongi was fast asleep, buried beneath the blankets, his dark lashes curled above his cheeks like a veil, and his mouth hanging half open – if he drooled on her pillow, she swore that she would make him wash it.

 

"You're back." His voice was so soft.

 

"Yes, Grandma came home. Weren't you sleeping?"

"I heard you come up the stairs." His eyes were still shut, he was half-asleep. "Let's finish our nap." He opened his arms, like she had done for him a few hours ago, and she slid into them immediately, happy to be back in his warm embrace. He had found an old baggy pair of sweatpants and an oversized sweatshirt she had completely forgotten about.

 

"Are those my clothes?"

"Yep." He nodded. "You should have given them to me earlier."

"I actually forgot about them."

 

He laughed softly. "Ok, I'll believe that."

 

"Stay here tonight too," she murmured, as his lips pressed against the top of her head. "I'll bring you dinner to eat here, and you can sleep over."

"Ok," he said. "It's almost like I live here now."

"I wish you really did."

"One day I will."

 

"When?"

"Hmm... when I marry you."

 

Su Ji buried her head in his chest so he wouldn't see the crazy smile on her face. Honestly, sometimes she was embarrassed about how cheesy they could be, but she loved it at the same time. "Who says I'll marry you?" she asked playfully.

 

"Yah!" Yoongi was indignant. "Who else will you marry, if not me? We already did everything and now you-"

"We didn't do everything!" she cried, a familiar heat spreading over her face as she remembered the way they had kissed. "If someone hears you, they'd totally get the wrong idea!"

"I'll say that in public if you don't-"

"Fine! I'll marry you, ok? Now shut up!"

He laughed. "Don't you dare take that back!"

"As if! Even if I try to marry someone else, I know you'd pop up and say such horrible things about me that the guy will run away screaming!"

"You're so smart," he praised.

 

She hit him lightly in the chest. "Shut up and let's sleep. You can hear if someone comes up the stairs, right?"

"Yes, don't worry about that. Sleep well, you big baby."

 

Lying in Yoogi's arms, their legs tangled together and their arms around each other, it just felt so right. Su Ji couldn't imagine being like this with anyone else – only Yoongi. Today had been such a nice day. The events leading up to it hadn't been good at all though, but lying in bed with Yoongi all day had almost made up for it.

 

****

 

Su Ji dragged Yoongi to school the next day, ranting about exams and marks and having to catch up, with such force that he didn't dare say a word. Earlier that day, she had distracted Grandma so he could sneak outside and go get his school uniform – the one from the previous day had torn apart when he had phased without taking them off.

 

This second bus ride was easier than the first one had been – though no one looked at Yoongi, and Jungkook and V and Hoseok only said a quiet "Hi" to her, it didn't feel as instense as before. Maybe they were getting used to it.

 

Yoongi wanted to take a nap on her shoulder like Jungkook was doing with V, but Su Ji made him take out a book and read it. "Exams are coming up! No time for naps, you had enough of those already!"

She was proud of Yoongi for not napping again, even though he grumbled a lot. Once the school bus reached the campus, she put the books away and they got off just as Namjoon was getting out of his Volvo.

 

"Hey, there's Namjoon!" said Su Ji, pulling Yoongi towards him. "Yoo-hoo, Namjoon!"

 

He looked up, his eyes quickly flickering to their interlocked hands before coming to rest on their faces.

 

"So, I suppose you two had a dramatic reunion." He narrowed his eyes. "So dramatic that you didn't come to school – what were you doing?"

"Napping," said Su Ji immediately. "And I gave Yoongi a bath."

Namjoon hit Yoongi lightly on the side of his head. "You! Be good to your mate, she cried so much when you were gone."

Su Ji felt a stab of guilt pass through Yoongi, and she hit Namjoon lightly on the side of his head. "You! Be good to Yoongi – and you!" She hit Yoongi. "Be good to Namjoon!"

 

Yoongi rubbed his head and looked at them reproachfully. "No need to hit me like that, I got the message."

 

Namjoon and Yoongi glanced at each other, then quickly looked away.

 

"I guess," said Namjoon. "I guess I can be good to him."

"I'll try to be good to him," muttered Yoongi.

 

"All right!" cheered Su Ji. "Let's go in now, we're about to miss Assembly!"

 

 

****

 

Drat that Yoongi. He had his head on the desk again, and even though his face was not facing her, Su Ji knew he was sleeping. This was economic

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter