Explained

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Su Ji's mouth fell open with surprise and disbelief – what was he doing here? And why did he look so angry?
“Well?” said Jimin, his eyes filled with stormy fury. “I said, what are you doing here?”
Who would have even thought that the sweet and mild Park Jimin had it in him to look so angry?
“Um,” she said. “M-my grandmother made pork wraps, and she… she told me to bring some for Mrs Choi-”
“Why would she do that?” he demanded.

“I- I don't know!” she stuttered. “They're friends, and-”
“Whatever,” Jimin cut in. “I don't care.”
“Jimin-”
“WHAT?” he yelled, his voice breaking. “What the hell do you want from me?!”
“Nothing!” she cried, taking a few steps back. Bad idea to ask him what he was doing at Mrs Choi's. “N-nothing, Jimin.”
His glare was enough to chill the very marrow of her bones, it was so spiteful.

“Get lost!” he spat, and pushed her aside.

Su Ji didn't dare push him back or yell at him – he was too angry, and she herself knew that you should stay out of the way of an angry person.

But to think it was Park Jimin! That sweet, quiet boy...

Well, quiet people got mad too, she supposed. But what had gotten him so furious? And why was he at Mrs Choi's?

She didn't really want to go up and knock on the door, because who knew which state Mrs Choi would be in. But she had to, Grandma wouldn't accept that as an excuse and would be mad that Su Ji didn't check up on Mrs Choi either.

So, with hesitant steps forward, Su Ji timidly knocked on the door.

No one answered.

She knocked again, and still no one answered. Su Ji knew that Mrs Choi was inside though. What if she couldn't come to the door?
Her heart thumping, Su Ji twisted the door handle and found it to be unlocked. Slowly, she pushed open the door and stepped inside. Books adorned the living room, spilling across the sofa, the coffee table, chairs, and there were even two full bookshelves. Mrs Choi must have nothing else to do besides read…

“Hello?” Su Ji called out. “Mrs Choi?”
She heard a gasp behind her and spun around.

“What-” Mrs Choi breathed, pointing a trembling finger at her. “What are you doing here?”
Mrs Choi was all pale and trembly, and Su Ji could tell by her face that she had been crying.

“I brought… pork wraps..” she said lamely.

Mrs Choi gestured her to put the plate on the table, which she did.

“Tell your grandmother thank you for me,” she said.

“I will,” said Su Ji. “But, Mrs Choi?”
“Yes?”
“On my way here… I saw a boy called Park Jimin-”
“Oh, him,” she said. “He's my nephew.”
“Oh.” She wasn't sure how to respond to that. That explained a bit how Jimin had the right to be here.

Mrs Choi smiled at her weakly. “Why don't you go home now?”
Su Ji nodded. That huge fight Mrs Choi had with Jimin must have really taken it's toll on her…

“Goodbye,” said Su Ji, trying to sound light and cheerful.

Mrs Choi nodded, and Su Ji let herself out.

 

****

 

Hoseok would say… that the tutoring was going really well so far. He had met with Aanchal five more times, and so far, she had been extremely patient with him and never called him stupid.

But he knew that one day, he would have to tell her that she was wasting her time, he wouldn't get much out of the tutoring. So far, he had claimed that he had a headache and couldn't read properly, which was somewhat true. The words swam off the page and jumbled up together, and he got a headache if he tried to make sense of them for too long.

Today would be the sixth time they met. And Hoseok doubted she would still believe his story about having a headache, or that his eyes hurt. It was time to come clean. Though his stomach tightened just at the thought, he knew he just had to do it. He just hoped Aanchal wouldn't get too mad at him.

Hoseok waited for her on the stairs, his books on his lap. She was right on time, her curly hair tumbling down to her shoulders.

“Hi!” she called out. “Want to study outside today? It's pretty nice out, and it would make a change!”
“Sure,” he said, scooting over and she sat down next to him on the steps, putting her bag behind her and taking out some books. This was it. He should tell her now, before she wasted another hour of her life.

“A-Aanchal,” he said, before he lost the courage.

“Yes?” She looked up at him.
“I… I think you need to know something,” he stuttered. “You see, I'm not like normal people… I have a learning disability and-”
“And?”

Hoseok didn't dare look at her face, he looked instead down at his shoes. “I think you should stop wasting your time,” he said quietly.
“Why would this be a waste of time?” she asked, slightly puzzled.

“Because… this won't help me. I've had tutors before, and nothing ever helped me.”
“Oh, Hobie,” she said, and he finally looked at her face. She was smiling, her three dimples showing.

“I'm not clueless, you know,” she said. “I knew you had difficulties from the first time we met. I was just waiting for you to tell me.”
“You're not… mad?” he asked in disbelief. “You're not going to quit?”
“No, why should I?” she said. “I like you, Hobie, we get along pretty well. And I will help you! I've already looked into ways of how we can make learning easier for you, I can show you all my notes. You have dyslexia, right?”
He nodded, and asked hesitantly, “You're not… judging me?”
“We all have our weak points.” She smiled, and Hoseok fought the urge to hug her tightly.

“Now, take out your grammar textbook,” she said.

The steps where they sat was narrow, and they bent their heads over the same books and their hands sometimes brushed against the other's. And once in a while, their knees would touch. But it wasn't weird or anything, it was just… comfortable.

Aanchal did not withdraw and neither did Hoseok.

 

****

 

Namjoon found Yoongi curled like a cat, sleeping on the floor.

“Pathetic,” he muttered, and kicked the sleeping b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter