Monster

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoongi was never a huge fan of school, to be honest. It wasn't just that he had to stuff his head with useless facts over there – though that was a huge time waster to him. It was more... the people there.

School was teeming with other people, who noticed him, who judged him for everything he did – and for everything he didn't do, too.

Maybe it was because he had lived alone for most of his life, but he was afraid of people – not that they could physically hurt him though, he was more than capable of defending himself – but he had seen too many examples of the wounds hateful words could inflict on a person.

He had quite of a few them, too - old wounds, still scarring him, both inside and out.

Maybe it was his body's way of defending himself, but by the time he reached high school, he was hiding behind an invisible wall he had built around himself – so strong, that even if he wanted to, he coulnd't break it. And he didn't want to anyway, he had gotten far too used to hiding behind it.

I can't let them see.

I can't let them find out.

No one can know that I'm not like them.

Except.... I'm not a freak, am I?

It's not my fault that I was born this way, different from the others. I'm not a monster...am I?

People were afraid of him, he knew it by the way they quickly averted their eyes when they saw him, the way they seemed to disappear.

Yoongi hadn't been planning to go to school on the first day. In fact, he had planned to stay home as often as possible and sleep.

Sleeping at night had never been easy for Yoongi, but lately it had become even harder. And it was all her fault. Yoongi called it The Itch – ever since she had appeared, something had been different, and in an almost dramatic way. Yet, no matter what he did, he was never at ease anymore – it was like an insanely stubborn itch that he could not scratch.

It had happened when he went to the train station. He had found himself there when he had set off on an aimless walk, drifting about without a destination. A girl had tumbled out of a train and fallen on her , and the expression of horror and embarrassment on her face added to the hilarity of the situation. Yoongi should have known something was weird when he cracked up – he couldn't help it.

It had been when she got up that it hit him – The Itch. A crazy, almost unbearable desire to help her up and ask if she was hurt, to carry her suitcase for her, to ask for her name, to hear her voice, and to be next to her.

As she passed by, an overpowering scent filled his nostrils – he couldn't identify what kind of scent it was, only that he liked it – he liked it a lot more than he should. It had made him want to shift to his different form and claim whatever smelled so good as his.

And it came from the girl.

Yoongi had forced himself to stay in human form and make his way back home, his mind and senses filled only with one thing: that girl. And he couldn't understand it... he hadn't even seen her before...

Was it because he was seing an unfamiliar face for the first time in years? No, that couldn't be the only reason... why was her mere scent the only one that stood out among the thousands of scents of other people?
He hated to admit it but... he actually followed the scent; it was so strong and it led him down the road and stopped at one of the houses. He hated to think about it later but he hid in the thicket, watching as the girl got out of the ancient taxi and lugged her suitcase to the front steps. Then, she shook her head before bursting into tears. Yoongi had almost showed himself; for some reason, he felt incredibly sad to see her cry and wanted to fix whatever was making her cry.

Aish, what was wrong with him? He couldn't be like this... he couldn't afford to get caught...

He couldn't take the risk of exposing what he was.

A monster...

He had forced himself to return to his own small house, where he buried himself under the blankets and had nothing but his thoughts to keep him company.

I'm trying to convince myself that I was meant to be alone, that I'm ok, that I was created to be the lone wolf. But sometimes, I can only think of an old and faded wish. I only wished that someone would have taken the time to understand me. And it upsets me that no one has. And love... one day, can I experience something like love?

Darkness enveloped the sky like a dark blanket eventually, and Yoongi pulled away the blankets and stood up. He took off his pants and his shirt, throwing them on the already-cluttered floor before transforming into his other form: a wolf.

The cold night air was unable to penetrate his white coat, but his breathing left little white puffs in the air. The moon hung low, illuminating the sky with it's brilliance.

Yoongi's senses, sharpened by his present form, seemed to centre around one thing: that girl. Her scent drew him in even in this form, and an animalistic snarl escaped him before he ran across the bit of forest to where she lived.

The house's windows were lit up brightly, but he couldn't see her.

How he longed to go to her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter