The Second Attack

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"It's Mrs Choi!" the neighbor lady cried, her voice cracked with panic. "She's been attacked!"

Su Ji felt Yoongi stiffen beside her the same time as a cold rush of fear made her shiver. Mrs Choi had been attacked? How? And who would do such a thing?

 

"Remember that hiker from a while ago?" the neighbor lady cried, getting worked up. "It's the same kind of attack!"

"Is she still..." asked Su Ji, not even daring to say the word dead.

 

"No, thank God, she's still alive. She just went to the hospital – lucky her nephew was home, he called 911, or else who would have found her on time-" Her voice broke away into sobs. "Poor Mrs Choi! What's happening in our little village?"

Su Ji stared at the sobbing woman – she felt like sobbing, too, but she felt too shocked to do so. It felt completely unreal.

 

The rest of the neighbors noticed Su Ji and Yoongi's presence, and the sobbing woman's husband put his arms around her in comfort. Apart from a few curious stares in Yoongi's direction, everyone looked more afraid than anything else.

 

"What exactly happened?" Su Ji asked, addressing one of the neighborhood men who seemed a lot calmer than everyone else.

 

"It happened barely less than an hour ago," said the man grimly. "She left her door open and that's how it got inside, it seems. Lucky that boy was home at the time – miracle he didn't get hurt too. He called the ambulance – Mrs Choi had passed out, she wouldn't have been able to get help for herself. He went with her – he seemed pretty shaken up, too."

A horrible sick feeling settled in the pit of her stomach. "Who... who did this?" she whispered.

 

"More like what did this," another man replied. "It was a wild animal, no doubt about it - there are no bears here... it's the wolf-"

"I knew that wolf would cause trouble!" a woman cut in, her voice bordering on hysteria. "But nooo, all of you said it was harmless! Don't you know lone wolves are more dangerous than a pack?"

She was shushed, but she had made her point – murmurs of agreement rippled through the crowd.

 

Su Ji glanced at Yoongi – his expression was entirely blank. And underneath that blankness, she could feel his fear.

 

Trying to be reassuring while terrified herself, Su Ji took his hand and squeezed it. He looked at her for a second, acknowledging her, but she couldn't feel his fear subside.

 

It's going to be ok, she tried to tell him silently. You were with me all day. No one can accuse you. It's not you. We don't even know if it was really a wolf that attacked her. It's not you.

 

But the thought of a second wolf was far from reassuring – especially since no one even knew of it's existence before it attacked the hiker... and now it had attacked a second person, who knows how many more would get attacked if it was left to roam around freely. For this second attack, it had actually dared to venture into a person's home... it was more dangerous and scarier than an attack out in the woods.

 

Eventually, the crowd dissolved as the night grew late, though no one was calm. Advice of making sure all the windows and doors were locked and bolted bounced from person to person.

 

Su Ji and Yoongi were one of the first to head back. Neither of them said a word about Yoongi going to his place in the woods– both of them needed company that night.

 

"Are you hungry?" he asked, when they were inside.

 

"Not really," she asked. Her stomach turned at the thought of food – when she was afraid or as anxious as she was now, her body rejected food.

 

He shook his head, and she knew that he had asked just for the sake of saying something.

 

They stared at each other, all traces of the happiness and excitment from the day at Seoul gone – it seemed like a long time ago that they had gone there, in fact. Now, there was nothing but fear and worry – she was worried because Yoongi was.

 

"Can you sleep wth me tonight?" she blurted out. This would have been a perfect occasion for Yoongi to tease a bit, but he didn't. He just nodded, and they headed upstairs.

 

He paused in front of her door.

 

Su Ji, already inside, called out, "Aren't you coming?"

"Let me phase first," he said.

 

"Do you have to?" She wanted Yoongi's with her as a human, she wanted to be in his arms and talk a bit.

 

He nodded. "When I'm in wolf form, I can smell, hear and react much quicker than as a human. And tonight... I would feel more at ease in that form."

She nodded, and he disappeared from sight to take off his clothes and phase. Su Ji took that oppurtunity to change into her pajamas. Once she was changed, she was about to go and see where Yoongi was, but he padded into the room, his paws making no noise at all.

 

"There you are," she said. "I was about to go and look for you." She got under the covers, and he cocked his head to the side, as though asking where he should sleep.

 

Su Ji patted the spot beside her. "Here. You can sleep here."

The white wolf climbed into bed lightly - w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter