Developments

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Su Ji stared at Namjoon, stunned.

 

“W-what?” she choked out, hoping she'd heard wrong.

 

“You heard right.” Namjoon's voice was so icy it froze the very marrow of her bones. “Right on the road, there's a maimed corpse.”

 

“That has nothing to do with him,” she declared, her heart stuttering. She placed her hands over Namjoon's cold ones, pleading silently for him to let go of the wolf's neck.

 

“He was with me all night!” she went on. “Namjoon, you can't accuse him like that, it could have been a person who did that-”

“The killer is a wolf,” cut in Namjoon, his eyes narrowed to slits, but he let go of the wolf's throat. “I saw the body… I saw the gashes and wounds… it was obviously done by a wolf.”

 

“Who was killed?” asked Su Ji quietly. “Could you recognize who it was?”

 

“The face isn't even identifiable,” said Namjoon flatly. “When I said the corpse was maimed… I mean maimed.”

 

Su Ji felt the bottom of her stomach drop a bit, and she glanced down at Yoongi. He couldn't possibly have… no, he couldn't have. She quickly forced the thought back. He had been here all along, and she was sure he was not the killer type.

 

But then who was it?

“Is there another wolf out there?” she asked softly.

 

Namjoon didn't reply.

 

“Is there?” she asked again, more insistently.

 

“If there is...” he said slowly, without looking at her. “Then I had no idea it even existed.”

 

He turned his head to her, and the force of his gaze captured hers; she was unable to look away even if she wanted to.

 

“Tell me,” he said, in his deep, smooth voice. “Can you honestly tell me that Min Yoongi was here, with you, all night?”

She nodded. “He was… I was even sleeping next to him.”

 

He sighed, then looked at the wolf. “Why don't you phase so we can talk?”

Ears flat, the wolf nodded, then padded upstairs so he could phase and get dressed.

 

Once he was out of earshot, Namjoon said, “I want to believe you, but I can't.”

Su Ji raised her eyebrows questioningly.

 

“Wolves are sneaky creatures.” His voice was so soft Su Ji could barely hear it. “They lie… they cheat… they stab you in the back. I think I've already told you once before that it is not in the nature for a wolf to be tame. They don't forgive, either.”

 

“Why would the corpse be maimed, though?” asked Su Ji, feeling more and more confused and afraid. “I mean… if a wolf really did kill a person, I'd assume it was for… you know, the wolf was hunting for food.”

The corners of Namjoon's mouth went up in a small smile. “I think that wolf was more angry than hungry.”

“So you think the victim knew the wolf?”

“Perhaps. Of course, we have to wait until the body is identified, I'm just making assumptions. But perhaps it was attacking that one human as a representative of the entire human race.”

Su Ji frowned. “I don't understand what you mean...”

 

“I mean, the wolf attacked that one human, but in his head, he was attacking the entire human race.”

 

That assumption made her gulp. “Why would he want to do that?”

Namjoon smiled again, though she saw nothing for him to smile about. “Humans have done a lot of damage to the wolves. In fact, they're ruining the entire world –they bring nothing but death, destruction, and exploitation wherever they go.”

 

“You're talking as though you're not human,” whispered Su Ji. “I still don't know what you are… are you part-human?”

Namjoon looked away. “My body is human,” he said softly. “But I am not.”

 

Su Ji stared at him, waiting further explanations. How could someone's body be different from what they are?

Right when she was going to ask him, Yoongi finally made his appearance and she fell quiet, sensing that Namjoon would not want to discuss it in front of Yoongi.

 

“You know,” said Namjoon, addressing Yoongi. “I want to believe you. I don't see how it's possible that you're guilty, but I'll be watching you. My orders have already been issued.”

Yoongi laughed scathingly. “Don't you have anything better to do than watch me sleep all day? What, those bureaucrats told you to watch me even closer? Go ahead! Listen to me snore!”

Namjoon did not reply, and Su Ji watched the exchange with bated breath. Their relationship, which had been starting to warm up a bit, was turning sour again.

 

Silence stretched before them like an enormous trench – one that was too risky to jump over. Both of their nerves were frayed, and the mere presence of the other was enough to irritate them. The rising tension in the room become unbearable, and finally, Su Ji said quietly, “Namjoon, maybe you should go.”

 

Unexpectedly, Namjoon did not protest. “I will. My business here is finished.” He strode to the door, but paused just before stepping out. “Yoongi. You have been warned.”

 

Namjoon's exit took away all the tension – it was like popping a balloon.

 

“Are you all right?” demanded Yoongi.

 

“Of course,” replied Su Ji, surprised. “Why shouldn't I be?”

“That bastard might have said something to you.” He studied her expression, searchingly. “Do you think it was me?”

“No.” That one word rang with confidence. “It wasn't you.”

“How are you so sure? I'm a wolf… I've hurt you… I bit you… how do you know I couldn't have killed someone?”

“I'm your mate.” Her voice did not falter. “You bit me because it was bound to happen. You hurt me because you lost control because I acted stupid. That's very different from murder. I don't think you're capable of that, and besides… I was with you this whole time. I don't see how you managed to do that, unless you sneaked away. And I don't think you did.”

Yoongi's eyes softened with warmth. “You trust me that much?”

“Yes.”

Yoongi leaned closer to her, and she felt her face heat up. Was he going to kiss her? She shut her eyes, anticipating the soft pressure of his lips on hers.

 

“What are you doing?”

Her eyes flew open, and she saw Yoongi smirking.

 

“Why did you close your eyes?”

 

“Um...” It felt as though her face had erupted in flames, she was blushing so hard. This was so embarrassing!

“Did you think I was going to kiss you?” Yoongi's smirk laughed rudely in her face.


“No!” she cried. “M-my eyes were dry! That's why I shut them!”

Yoongi took one step towards her. Automatically, she took a step backwards

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter