Of Puppies and Seoul

Once in a Blue Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Time is a funny thing – it speeds up when you want it to slow down, and slows down when you want it to speed up. It always seemed to especially speed up when Aanchal was around. Hobie hated saying goodbye to her, and he always stood on the porch, waving until she was out of sight.

 

Midway through their tutoring session that day, Aanchal's phone rang. "It's my mom," she said, looking at the caller ID. "Can I-"

 

"Sure, it must be important if it's your mom," replied Hoseok at once.

 

Aanchal stood up and left the rooom, and Hoseok could hear her murmur softly in the hallway, the sound of rain in the backround. He wondered what was going on – both her parents knew she was tutoring at this time, and had never called before.

 

When she came back, her forehead was creased with worry.

 

"What happened?" asked Hoseok.

 

"My village," she replied, taking her seat. "Remember I told you it had a high chance of flooding? Well, it happened."

"Is it flooded badly?" he askd, concerned.

"My mom told me not to come home tonight – that the water is too high around our house."

"Don't worry," said Hoseok, trying to sound comforting despite feeling worried himself. "I'm sure things are fine at home."

"Yes, of course they are," she said. "It's not the first time we've gotten flooded – we know how to deal with it. But I can't go home – Hobie, could you lend me some money so I can stay at a hotel?"

Hoseok frowned slightly. "Instead of spending money on a hotel, why don't you stay here?" he suggested.

 

"Because... oh, Hobie, it would be better if I went to a hotel – I don't want to be a bother-"

"You're never a bother!" cried Hoseok. "I don't want you to stay in a hotel."

 

"Well, there isn't really another option, is there?" she said, holding out her hand. "Please lend me money, Hobie."

He pouted. "No."

"Hobie!" she whined. "Please?"

"No! Sleep here! It'll be fine – there's a spare bedroom, and you can sleep there! Please, Aanchal, just stay here tonight. Don't go to a hotel."

She sighed, studying him. "You know that I'm a ert, right?"

He laughed. "And you're going to make me a ert too!"

"Are you sure about letting a ert stay here overnight?"

He nodded. "I'm sure."

She sighed again. "We'll see. Ok?"

"Ok!"
 

She smiled – Hobie could be so stubborn at times!

 

Their attention was brought back to studies, and for the next hour, they worked diligently. By the end of it, Hoseok had a headache – it was hard for him to concentrate for long. He pressed his finger to his temple, massaging gently.

 

"Your head hurts again?" asked Aanchal in concern. "Hobie, you should really do something about that – have you gone for an eye check-up? Maybe you need glases."

"I've already been there, and my eyes are fine," said Hoseok.

 

She sighed – even if they took frequent breaks, he sometimes got headaches. Today was one of those days.

 

"Let's go outside," she said. "Some fresh air will do you good – come on, Hobie."

She took his hand and pulled him up. They stopped to take an umbrella from the entrance, since it was still raining pretty heavily. Hoseok opened the door and held the umbrella over their heads, his arm around her shoulder.

 

The pitter-patter of rain hitting the umbrella and dripping down the sides, and the fresh earthy smell made Hoseok feel a bit better already – it was a lot better than his stuffy little room.

 

Pressed against each other closely, they walked in silence, enjoying each other's company and the rainy outdoors. Hoseok loved the cool breeze caressing his face – the outdoors was definitely a place where he belonged.

 

It was when the rain finally turned into a very fine drizzle that Aanchal suddenly stopped short, making them bump against each other rather sharply.

 

"Ouch! What was that for?" complained Hoseok.

 

"Look!" cried Aanchal, pointing excitedly towards some flower pots under the over-hang of the roof.

 

"What?"

"Don't you see it? There's a puppy there!"

Hoseok couldn't see anything besides flower pots. "I don't see it."

 

"It's there!"

A tiny little head with golden-brown fur and little ears peeked timidly from behind one of the flower pots, a large red flower hanging above it's head.

 

"There!"

"Oh!" cried Hoseok. "It's a puppy!"

"That's what I said!"

The puppy took one uncertain step forward.

 

"Awww, were you here because of the rain?" Aanchal said, bending down and addressing the puppy. It took a step back hurriedly, and Hoseok laughed.

"I don't think the puppy likes you very much," he said.

 

She pouted. "Everyone loves me!"

Hoseok bent down, and held his hand forward. "Come here, puppy – here, boy."

The puppy took a step forward, head tilted, as though studying him.

 

Hoseok kept calling to it softly and encouragingly, and the puppy finally went to him, tail wagging frantically.

 

"God boy!" praised Hoseok, it's head. "Good puppy!"

"It came!" said Aanchal, delighted. She went and bent down opposite Hoseok so the puppy was between them, and put her hand out and petted it. "Aww, aren't you a cutie-pie! Yes you are! Where's your mommy, puppy? Is your mommy coming to get you?"

The puppy barked, as though answering.

 

They laughed, and Aanchal exclaimed, "It's so cute! I want to kidnap it and take it home! I want to kiss it to bits and pieces!"
 

This made Hobie laugh, and she leaned forward to kiss it. But the puppy yelped and jumped away, and she ended up kissing Hoseok instead.

 

"The puppy doesn't like you," he laughed, touching his cheek where her lips had pressed against.

 

She pouted, and they watched the puppy trot out the gate – it had probably seen it's mother coming to get him.

 

"Everybody loves me," she said, watching it sadly.

 

"I love you," he said.

 

She smiled, all six of her dimples appearing. "I know you do. I love you, too."

Hoseok took her by the wrist and pulled her forward, at the same time leaning towards her and pressing his lips against hers. She pulled him to her even closer, and he let the umbrella fall to the ground as he cupped her face, tilting it to the side to deepen the kiss.

 

There was nothing else – just her. Just her and incredible warmth and shivers running up his spine.

 

Cold drops of rain came down again, as suddenly as it had stopped, forcing them to break apart and run back to the house for cover.

 

"Drat the rain," muttered Aanchal, as they ran for safety. "Hey, rain, you ruined my kiss with Hobie!"

 

"I forgot the umbrella!" cried Hoseok, and he darted back to get it. She opened the door, and they staggered inside.

 

"We're soaked!" she cried out in dismay. "And I don't have any other clothes!"

A sly smile spread across his face. "That settles it – you can wear my clothes. But if you go to a hotel, I won't give you money or my clothes."

"You cheater," she said, pretending to be annoyed. "Ok then – I'm staying!"

"Then come up – let's find you something warm and dry to wear."

She nodded, following him upstairs.

 

Hoseok couldn't hide his smile and he didn't try to either – Aanchal was staying! They would be able to do all kinds of things together – they could watch a movie and cuddle, they could order a pizza and drink hot chocolate on the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter