Guilt

The Universe Collided
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Earth, Shelter city 61313

Jungkook watched as the crowd outside the city barriers grew larger every minute, these people he was looking at were desperate to get inside the shelter city because they feared for their lives and the lives of their loved ones. He knew exactly why the lives of humans was at stake. Ever since the humans had used up almost all of Earth's resources Earth had been literally falling apart. Lakes and Rivers dried up, ocean leavels increased and drowned cities in them. The pollution annihilated mosts animals both in land and water. Humans had also changed and they had become monsters. The desperation to live made some humans lose their humanity, they did anything to survive. He himself had seen this happen, that day with Taehyung at the fallen city.

............

    Jungkook and Taehyung had decided to explore the buildings after playing in the fallen city. They entered a building as the sun began its descent. The building’s roof had fallen in letting in scant sunrays into the building. “Um, I don’t think we should go in?” said Taehyung but it was too late, Jungkook had already made it to the other side of the building, darkness lingered around him. He turned back “Come on, its fine” he said. Suddenly a hand reached out and grabbed Jungkook by his neck, making him scream.

Taehyung stood frozen before he could muster up the courage to grab a pole and come after whatever had grabbed Jungkook. As Taehyung entered the darkness, his eyes adjusted and he finally got a good look at what had grabbed Jungkook, it was a human being but it wasn’t, the human’s eyes were blood red, it's face didn’t look particularly menacing but something was just not right. Taehyung charged and hit the human with a pole which caused the human to drop Jungkook but come after Taehyung instead. Jungkook was thrown to the ground and was gasping heavily, the human was now punching Taehyung. Jungkook had to do something quick if he wanted them to make it back to their city alive. There was no way Jungkook and Taehyung could physically handle the man, they were only ten years of age. As Jungkook racked his brain thinking of ways to escape with Taehyung, another human... no he didn’t look very human either came out of the shadows, the two humans with red blood shot eyes began fighting each other. Jungkook saw this as a chance and ran out of the building with Taehyung. Taehyung needed Jungkook’s support, his lips were bleeding, his eyes were swollen and his ribs hurt with every breath but they safely made it to the shelter city. That night, Jungkook had told his parents what had happened, this was new to his parents as well. It seemed the humans were losing their humanity and turning into monsters.

.................

Still watching the crowd, Jungkook’s heart bled with guilt. “What did he do to deserve this privilege? Just because his parents were the founders of a research institute that had been searching for ways to save Earth, he had been given a lifetime of privilege. The only time he had faced fear was the day at the fallen city, his life wasn’t like those outside the barrier” he thought.

Taehyung walked towards Jungkook, he had grown into a handsome man, he had a faint scar by his left eyebrow from the encounter that day and he walked with a slight limp. His bones were broken that day and had never properly healed. Through out the years much had changed but not their friendship.

“Remember, we’re doing as much as we can to help them” Taehyung reminded looking towards the crowd knowing what Jungkook had in mind.

“I know, but it’s not enough, look at the size of the crowd, how many people are we going to be able to take in, the city is getting overpopulated, even we can take all of them today, there will be more people here tomorrow placing their lives on our hands, this is not enough, Taehyung, we need to find another way to save everyone” Jungkook said passionately like he had said so many times before.

“I have a way” said Taehyung, a very surprised and hopeful Jungkook turned towards Taehyung.

“What is it?”

“The Celestials”

“What?”

“You know the stories we used to read when we were little, the ones we found in my grandparent’s study?”

“The one about the fairies?” Jungkook asked confused.

“No, the celestials” Taehyung said chuckling slightly, Jungkook never got the difference anyway. “I went back to my grandparent’s house the other day because I kept dreaming about them telling us stories”

“You should have told me, Taehyung, I would’ve gone with you, you know it’s not safe” Jungkook said as he shuddered remembering the eyes of the human that had attacked them. Taehyung and Jungkook’s old house now fell outside the barriers and the monsters were everywhere except for the shelter cities.

“Anyway” said Taehyung getting back to the topic “I found old letters and diaries in the study, Jungkook, those books were not the work of my grandparents’ imagination. They had met a celestial when they were younger, my grandma had the power to see them! You know what that means don’t you? Remember reading about the Warriors and the Lovers and their fight, remember Amicitia?”

Jungkook didn’t remember any of it, that had been more than ten years ago.

Taehyung continued “I found something from the letters, a portal opens up every hundred years that could take us directly to Amicitia”

“When does this portal open?” Jungkook asked hopeful for a positive answer. He was willing to cling on to any hope to save everyone.

“In two weeks” Taehyung answered.

.............................................................................................................................................................................................

Earth, Fallen City 127

 

Taeyong breathed heavily as he stood behind a broken wall looking at his wound. That er had ing bit him and it burned like hell. Blinking back actual tears, Taeyong cocked his gun, he couldn’t believe he had to use one of his last bullet on a ing monster. These bullets were hard to find!

 

Taeyong stepped out of the wall and saw the monster running towards him, he shot it right in the middle of his eyes, the monster dropped dead. Honestly these ers were coming out of everywhere nowadays. He knew life outside the shelter cities would be hard but these monsters made it specially annoying. Looking around Taeyong saw that there were no more monsters around, even if they were they weren’t coming out to fight him. He walked back home.

“Tch these ers don’t even let me get some food in peace”

 

He had gone out to get some cat food, today was Nini’s death anniversary and he would never forget that. He had to break into a store from a city close by that had just fa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter