So close, yet so far

3,2,1 ... {The Masked Performer}
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

{Masked Performer} Chapter 7:

So close, yet so far

(A/N: BTW, I forgot to mention this in the last chapter, but Seoul Academy is made up. If the chance it is real, then cool, but here, it's made up.)

Jungsuh sighs loudly as she flops onto her bed and stares up at the white ceiling.

Her mind was full and she was completely in a pinch. Remembering the encounter today was giving her a migraine.

 

Flashback:

"We hope for your full cooperation, Miss Kang." The lady speaks formally.

Jungsuh merely stares shocked.

Seoul Academy?! Like legit the most famous and high ranked school of South Korea?! And in the Musical and Theatrical section?! The most well known section of the school!
How was this even possible? How was she even... hearing this?!

Jun lightly nudges Jungsuh, waking her from her trance. She nervously looks up at the two people and smiles awkwardly.

"I'm... uh... not sure." She answers. This causes the faces of the duo to drop a bit. But the lady returns her composure and looks up at the shocked girl with a smile.

"We know it's a bit sudden, but it's a great opportunity for you and if you're worried about your identity, don't worry." She states.

"We have it covered."

Jungsuh looks at her questioningly. "Covered?"

The lady smiles and pats Jungsuh on the arm.

"Both are secured."

Jungsuh's eyes widen and she was about to speak until the man's phone had as if on cue, rung.

He quickly answers and then looks to the lady. She looks back and nods.

He then hangs up and turns to Jungsuh and Jun with a bow.

"I'm sorry. We have some urgent business to attend to now. We hope you consider thoroughly and accept it with a whole heart." The lady bows and soon, the two walk out leaving Jun and Jungsuh alone. Jun pats Jungsuh on the back and smiles. "It's something I thought thoroughly about. At first I was hesitant like you, but I wanted the best for you." He smiles and walks out.

Jungsuh stood bewildered. 

End Flashback:

 

Why did Jun do that? Why do they want her of all people? Jungsuh groans aggravated and turns to lay on her side.

On her desk in front of her, she spots the packet of papers and the application sheet. They just sat there silently and annoyingly. As though they were mocking her, yelling at her and telling her that she was being stupid in hesitating such an amazing offer. Being able to attend one of South Korea's highly recognized schools for free on a music major scholarship and obtain an all year tuition without any added cost was like winning a million bucks and then earning a nice gift from the president. But, every good thing comes with a condition.

As winning the lottery causes you to have to share a good amount of the money for taxes and whatnot, going to a prestigious school for free causes you to have to lose your sense of freedom and maybe your identity. That, is a huge issue with Jungsuh.

Hello?! She was the Masked Marionette?! Her hidden identity is literally her life. Only her voice is noticeable and if she is attending a school majoring in music, well screw hidden identity, and goodbye her reputation. Say hello to a lot of trouble! Jungsuh did not want to risk that. Especially, after all that she's worked up to. From starting off as a street performer to now being the star of an underground club! It's not the proudest name to hold, but it's something.

Jungsuh groans again and grabs the nearby pillow, shoving her face into it and sighing.

"What the crap..."

Suddenly, someone knocks at her door and Jungsuh pops her head up.

"Jungsuh?" Jun's deep voice calls from behind the door.

The confused girl sits up and fixes herself. Putting the pillow back, she looks to the door.

"Come in." She answers.

Slowly, the door opens and the suave man enters.

His long hair nicely tied in a ponytail and his facial hair neatly trimmed. He had on a beige sweater and black pajama pants. He shuffles in and as he turns to close the door, he spots the stack of papers.

Sighing, he turns back at her and grins. "You still thinking?" He asks with a warm tone. Slowly he walks over and sits on the swirling chair at the desk. 

Jungsuh watches him and sighs. "Do I really have to?" She asks as she crisscrosses in the bed and folds her arms in her lap.

"I'm already doing good in regular college. This is..." she pauses and looks up at Jun.

He smiles and nods.

"I know you're doing good in school. You always are. And that's why I want you to attend Seoul Academy." Jun looks at her intently as he leans forward.

"I'm doing this for your own good. You're a talent young girl. Shouldn't put it to waste."

Jungsuh looks down at the carpet floor and ponders.

She knew she was talented and she also knew she didn't have much of a insight on what her future occupation would be. She was currently majoring in a Pharmaceutical degree, but that was just something she was suggested to and just kind of took it to keep an education and maybe sustain a good paying job in the future. She actually never thought of it. About having a dream and an occupation she would truly enjoy.

Jungsuh had always had the mindset of concentrating on the present. Never once had she actually thought of focusing on a specific job. Not since he had left... Jungsuh suddenly felt sad at the thought, it was a dangerous mindset she was taking, so she quickly pushed it aside and looked up at Jun, who sat patiently.

Jungsuh opened to speak, but her words seemed to have gotten lost.

Jun chuckled and grabbed the packet on the table near him.

"It's a good start. I mean, you have talent, you have decent looks,"

Jungsuh frowned at the second statement.

"And you have a personality that can withstand the hardships of such a prestigious school."

The young girl sighed and glanced at the packet in his hand. "You know I have no intentions of becoming an idol, right?"

Jun flipped through the packet and pointed to a specific page. "They got majors for music teaching... Oh! And some stuff on composing!" He pointed out with a bright smile.

Jungsuh laughed at his childish behavior. Looking at him, she thinks once more. It wouldn't be so bad, right? She watches as Jun flips through curiously and let out a sigh.

"They said my identity is secured... right?" She asks.

Jun looks up and places thumbs up. "Guaranteed! You will be placed in regular classes and be given special treatment for the singing part of the activities." He sets the packet down and gleams.

"No one will hear you sing but the specified teachers and your identity will be a secret. They will just know you as Kang Jungsuh the new student."

Jungsuh eyes him and tilts her head questioningly.

"The fact I'll be given 'special' treatment will only cause me unwanted attention." She complains.

Jun shrugs. "Maybe, but no one will try to pry. I mean, students at schools like that, usually only care for themselves. I'm sure they too, have their own special needs." 

Jungsuh scoffs and stares at the man hesitant. It wasn't like she had much of a choice anyways...

Slowly, she lifts her hand and gestures him to hand her the paper. Jun smiles and immediately gives it to her, along with a pen. "Sign here, and here." He instructs.

Jungsuh sighs and signs. "I hope this goes smoothly..." she says as she sets the pen down and hands the stuff to Jun.

Jun smiles and pats her head.

"I'm sure it will. Who knows, maybe you may even meet some popular idols there?" He jokes as he straightens the papers.

Jungsuh laughs and leans back on the head of her bed.

"Maybe."

*********************************************************

Five days later....

"Gyaahhhh!!!!!" Taehyung's voice booms from across the yard.

Today, the boys were moving their belongings into their new temporary dorm. After finishing the work for their comeback earlier that day, they had been instructed to move their things into a large U-haul. Luckily, Namjoon had instructed them to pack earlier, so there was no rush or issue with the transferring.

Taehyung slumps down by a large box on the cement driveway that led to the front doors of the large and extravagant home. He was tired and the box was way too heavy for him to carry alone.

Tiredly, he mopes and sighs. "Is there anyone to help?!" He yells out in distress.

Jimin, Rap Monster, and Jin were still at the truck gathering things and discussing stuff with the manager, so they didn't pay any attention to the mopping puppy. Luckily, muscle-man Jungkook came strutting out from the house and spots the boy, having then helping the tired boy out. "Let's go!" He says cheerfully. His bunny-like smile beams and they both carry the box into the house.

The inside was just as marvelous as the outside. It was a large and roomy home with a very modern and sleek architecture. Suiting three stories, a fancy front porch, and a rooftop balcony, the house perfectly suited the modern-day glamour home.

(A/N: The home I am using is the dorm used in the K-Drama "You're Beautiful". It's such a beautiful and amazing home. Legit my dream home. As for the number of rooms in the home I am unsure of, since it's sorta unclear in the drama. I put five rooms. Whatever the case it's a home. Images and references to the architecture will be in this: Link Hint of advice, use a new tab for the links, just to make life easier.)

The interior was sleek and comforting. Upon entering, you are greeted with the bright colors of the living room and the kitchen which had doors leading to an interior garden and stairs up to the rooftop. There also was a hallway leading to a separate dining room filled with windows showing the beauty of the suburban view. Deeper inside by the living room were two sets of stairs, one small set leading to the bottom floor in which consists of the music room, guest restroom, and two other extra rooms, which seemed to be the storage room and a room for just chilling.

The other fleet of stairs led up to the second floor. It consists of five rooms. Three of the five were doubled. Meaning two beds for two people in each rooms. The other remaining two rooms were single set rooms. One for the remaining member who gets a room to himself and the other for guests or their manager. Also upstairs, were glass doors that led to a balcony-like catwalk that led up to the rooftop. It was in fact, a gorgeous dream home.

"WHAAAAAAA!" J-Hope awes in absolute amazement as he rushes down to the living room from upstairs. Immediately he grabs onto Suga, who was awing at the sleek set up of the room, and shakes him in excitement. "Yah! Hyung! This place is amazing!" He gleams with all the brightness he had.

Suga laughs at his childish behavior, but cannot hide the fact that he too is pretty amazed at the structure of the home. Everything was so mesmerizing and fancy. Something, he never dreamed of having. There was already furniture set and their home appliances were already set in place from this morning. It was already so homey.

Jungkook and Taehyung had walked in with the large box and set it roughly on the floor near the large window in the living room. Taehyung huffed out as he walks over to the couch and plops down tiredly. Jungkook was still full of energy and immediately began inspecting the place.

"Wahhh! This is such a nice place! So different from the dorm apartment!" He gleams. Near the kitchen was a small little cubby-like area filled with pillows and other soft materials. Jungkook had spotted it and immediately rushed over, climbed in, and plopped in happily. "I have no idea what this is for but I love it already! Dibs on this area!" He laughs excitedly.

Taehyung looks over to him and rushes over. "Hey! Jungkook share!" He smiles with a plead. The Maknae sticks his tongue out playfully and smirks. "I called dibs."

"Doesn't mean you can't share!" Tae pouts. They soon begin to wrestle and argue playfully for the little area. Suga and J-hope chuckle at the playfulness of the two youngsters and continue on with their day. The sleepy rapper sits down on the couch behind him and groans. "What a day..." The lazy bum hums.

Hobi scoffs and looks around once more. "This truly is such a cool place. I'ma go look around downstairs a bit." And with that, the sunshine slips away to the other floor. Meanwhile, Namjoon, Jin, and Jimin had just came in with the remaining boxes and as they walked in, Jin let out a relieved and gleeful sigh.

"Almost done!" He blurts as he walks off upstairs to put the box away. Namjoon came in after him and then followed the little Mochi. Both too, were exhausted and relieved with almost completing the move. With a loud sigh, Namjoon placed his box down on the floor of the walkway between the living room and kitchen and groans as he rubs his back.

"I'm getting too old for this." He complains. Jimin laughs at his Hyung's behavior and continues to walk upstairs. "Isn't that what Jin-Hyung should be saying?"

"I can hear you!" The eldest blurts from upstairs. "And I'm not that old! Still young and spry!"

Jimin chuckles and rolls his eyes. "Whatever you say, Hyung."

After a few minutes of resting, Namjoon finally gets the energy to pick up the box again and starts walking. But, Yoongi suddenly walks up and takes the box away from him. "Ah. Thanks bro." Rap Monster thanks as he sighs. Yoongi nods and just walks off.

"Not in the mood to have you breaking things in the first day." The fellow rapper mumbles under his breath. Namjoon doesn't hear exactly what he said but heard something. "Huh?" Yoongi ignores him and continues on upstairs.

The leader then shrugs and dismisses it as just him hearing things. With a groan, the man plops down onto the couch and arches his head back. He closes his eyes and lets out a sigh, letting his mind wonder and body relax.

He was seriously tired. All morning, the crew were doing final performances and interviews along with photo shoots for the ending of their comeback. They then had to move their things to the new dorm and later have to set up their belongings. Being that they still have some minor work left to do tomorrow, Namjoon was already stressed out and ready to take a good day's rest. But, work was still needed to be done, and the boys still needed to set up their home chores and whatnot.

Since their manager needed to go do some more business at the company as well as return the truck, Namjoon was left to organize the boys. What a pain in the ... but a leader gotta do what a leader gotta do.

Slowly, he lifts his head up and leans over. Rubbing his face (which was luckily cleared of any makeup), he looks up and stares out blankly. He then looks over to one of the wall clocks in the room and reads the time.

3:57 p.m

"Almost four." The leader groans as he stands up and stretches.

"Ah! Hyung!" Jungkook's voice suddenly bursts.

Namjoon looks over at the two and just stares slightly disappointed. Taehyung and Jungkook were now atop of each other and wrestling awkwardly in the cubby. With little giggles and sudden sounds of smacking, the two were fiddling around like children.

"Yah! Kookie! This is our dorm! So we all share!" Taehyung grumbles. Jungkook ignores his Hyung's words and giggles evilly as he pinches the dude and tickles him. 

Sighing for the billionth time today, Namjoon stands up and walks over to the two dummies. "Yah? Quit it!" He scolds as he smacks them.

Wincing, the two freeze and slowly push away. "Hyung..." Tae pouts in pain. Jungkook rubs the spot he was hit and pouts too.

"Come on. Take that box you two just left laying around and go upstairs. We need to discuss which room belongs to who." He points to the box and eyes them sternly. The two lay silent for a bit until Hoseok pops out from downstairs with a huge smile.

"Yah! There is a cool music room and lounge room down here!" "Great timing Hobi. Let's go." Namjoon sighs, once again, and motions them all to head upstairs.

"Khaja!" He pulls at Jungkook and Taehyung's ears with a confused J-Hope following behind.

***************************************************************

It was about 4:00 p.m and Jungsuh had gotten off the bus and was walking down the neighborhood street to her home. She had just returned from college and was tired. Today was her last day at her school and she used it to her advantage. Completing all remaining assignments and overviewing transfer documents, she used her entire school hours to prepare.

Originally, she was studying in a major for Pharmaceuticals. A regular six year course and additional two to three years for higher degrees. Jungsuh had chosen a regular term and was doing well. Starting early at eighteen, this was her last year as a pharmacy student. Of course, now she had to jump gears and finish the term early.

A few days ago she had taken her finals and other important exams and succeeded in passing. Hence, she had graduated with a degree in pharmacy. Now, she was taking another year of school, but for a musical degree. Whoopee~

Saying goodbye to teachers and acquaintances, Jungsuh successfully finished her normal college days. Humming a melody to herself, the young woman strolled calmly up the streets and closer to her home.

"I wonder if Jun is still at home..." She wondered aloud. As she walked on, he spotted a large truck leaving one of the homes nearby. It was a U-haul. She couldn't see who was in the truck and stared curiously. "New neighbors?" She thought. It wasn't rare to see moving trucks come in and out of the neighborhood, but for some reason when she looked up to the house that the truck came out off, she felt a small wrench pull at her gut. She had no idea why.

"I wonder who moved in?... Actually, better question... who the heck lived there before?" Jungsuh tilts her head curiously. She never really paid any attention to their neighbors to be completely honest. Everyone here usually kept to themselves and no one necessarily greeted each other. Yet, she felt so curious about who moved in. Especially since this was a house that was like only a few blocks away from where she lived. Though, this wasn't the time to randomly go over and investigate who it was. She needed to head home and get ready for work later.

"I guess I'll ask Jun later if we can visit and give a nice welcome greeting." Jungsuh shrugged and continued on to the house. Taking about five minutes until she met home, Jungsuh sighed loudly as she stepped into the large home in complete relief.

"I'm hungry..." She mumbled as she threw her bag on to the living room sofa and skipped over to the fridge. Opening it, she spotted a medium sized take-out box inside. On top of it had a sticky note. It read:

Had to leave early. Here's your food. Some tteobokki and rice.  Not a lot, but something. Enjoy! ^^

-Jun

Jungsuh smiled at his sweet gesture and took the box out. Opening it, she set the food up and heated it in the microwave. After it was done, she grabs a bottle of water and utensils, then heading to the living room and turning the TV on.

"Wonder what's on." She picks up the remote and with a click of a button, turns the huge flat screen TV on. Immediately, the news channel pops up and the hosts begin chatting a storm about the recent news and drama. It was just a load of blabber for Jungsuh so she just focused on her food until something interesting popped up or until she got the urge to change the channel.

Luckily, she didn't change it. 

"Yes! Bangtansonyeondan! Biggest idol group to date with millions of followers on social media and millions of fans around the world!" Jungsuh's head perked up from her food when she heard the name, Bangtansonyeondan, and she stared at the television with food stuffed in and some sauce on her lips.

"They had just finished up with an amazing and successful performance at Inkigayo and are still slaying rankings with their new album!" The two hosts looked at each other excitedly and smiled brightly. "Though this week is the last week of their promotions, they still hit the top ranks with ease. Tomorrow they will wrap up promotions and head into the next chapter of preparations for the next comeback!" One of the hosts explains happily.

The other gleams and looks down at their notes. "It's also seems that Bighit has prepared a huge conference this Sunday in announcement of a huge event for the boys!" The other looked at their partner in shock. "Really?! I wonder what surprise they have installed for the wonderful ARMYs!"

Jungsuh watches intently as the two hosts continue to chatter about the boys and soon move on to other celebrity announcements. "I've been seeing them around a lot." The young lady speaks to herself as she wipes from the sauce earlier. Taking a sip of her water she wonders to herself and remembers the necklace Jimin had given her.

She reached up to her neck and took hold of the jewelry. She had decided to wear it out of safety concerns. Being if she had just left it somewhere she thought was "safe" she would event

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter