Watchdog - Chapter 9

Watchdog

Sunggyu drove along the deserted road until he came to an intersection where a pedestrian was waiting to cross the road.  He slowed down and came to a stop when the lights changed red.  The pedestrian proceeded to cross.  Just as he did, a car coming from the other direction ploughed straight into the pedestrian crossing the road.  The pedestrian was knocked to the ground and lay unmoving while the car sped off into the distance.

Between an injured victim on the ground and pursuing a hit and run driver, Sunggyu chose the victim.  He immediately got out of his car and rushed over to check on the victim, laying face down.

"Hey, are you okay?" Sunggyu asked as he tried to check for the victim's vital signs.

At that moment, the victim pulled out a knife and plunged it at Sunggyu's chest.  Sunggyu was quick to react and caught the blade of the knife with his hand.  Blood trickled down the palm of his hand as the blade tore his skin.  Sunggyu tightened his grip on the blade and with clenched his teeth and he pulled the knife from the victim's hand and cast it aside.  The victim produced another knife and took a swipe at Sunggyu's throat, but Sunggyu managed to evade it with his quick reflexes.

As the two engaged in close combat, they heard the sound of a car engine approaching.  The car which had hit the victim moments before returned to the scene with a second car following.  Ten men stepped out of the cars.  Armed with machetes in their hands, they rushed over and attacked Sunggyu.

Though outnumbered and bleeding from the palm of his hand, Sunggyu remained composed and was able to hold his own against the group of men.  He knocked down one man with his fist and snatched the machete from his attacker.  Now, armed with a weapon in his hand, Sunggyu focused his attention on the remaining men.


When Sungyeol and Myungsoo arrived at the scene a short time later, they saw a lone figure standing amongst the fallen bodies on the ground.  They immediately got out of the car and approached him.

"Commander!" Sungyeol called out.  "Are you okay?"

Sunggyu threw the bloodied machete in his hand aside and turned around to face them.  "What are you two doing here?"

Only when Sunggyu turned around did they see his blood drenched suit. 

Myungsoo could not help but let out a shocked gasp at the sight of the man standing in front of him.  "Are you okay?"

"Not my blood," Sunggyu replied.

Myungsoo frowned and grabbed hold of Sunggyu's bleeding hand.  "What about this?"

"Careless," said Sunggyu.

"Seriously!  How old are you?" Myungsoo scolded.  "Don't you even know the first thing about applying pressure to a bleeding wound?"

Sungyeol stood and watched as Myungsoo took off his own jacket and used it to wrap around Sunggyu's bleeding hand.  The older man did not say a word as Myungsoo tended to his wound while scolding him.  Sungyeol could not help but smile at the scene.  Even though the two of them were always bickering, Sungyeol knew that deep down, they cared deeply for each other.  After all, they were family.


Hoya knocked on the door and entered the office.  He hardly seemed surprised to see Sunggyu at his desk.  Despite being attacked and injured last night, Sunggyu had turned up to work the next morning as usual.

"How's your hand?" Hoya asked, glancing at the bandages on Sunggyu's right hand.

"Nothing to be concerned about," Sunggyu replied. 

"You wanted to see me?"  Hoya asked.  "What did you need?"

"I need you do to me favour."

Hoya raised his eyebrows questioningly.  "Favour?  Not an order?"

Sunggyu shook his head.  "No, it's a personal favour," he replied.  "There was an orphanage called Little Souls which closed down several years ago.  I need you to help me find out what happened to the children that were there."

Hoya seemed intrigued by Sunggyu's request but he knew better than to question the man.  "I'll see what I can do."

Just then a knock at the door interrupted them.

"Who is it?" Sunggyu called out.

"Your personal food delivery service," came the reply.

Sunggyu let out a sigh as Sungjong walked in the door with a packed lunch in his hand.  This can't go on, thought Sunggyu.  "Sungjong, can I ask you to pass a message for me?"

Sungjong shrugged casually.  "I'm already your delivery boy," he teased.  "I may as well be your messenger too."


Sungjong returned to the cafeteria later that evening to see Woohyun happily preparing a takeaway meal.  He didn't have to guess to know who it was for.  He let out a sigh and approached Woohyun.

"Woohyun," Sungjong began.  "The commander says thank you."

Woohyun smiled.

"But..." Sungjong added, reluctantly.  "He doesn't want you to do this anymore.  He wants you to stop making him lunch and dinner and he wants you to stay away from him."

The smile on Woohyun's face faltered as he bit his lip and looked to the ground without a word.

Sungjong could not help but feel sorry for the young man.


Hoya stood at the door of the cafeteria and watched as the scene unfolded.  A smile appeared on his lips.

What a cruel man you are, Sunggyu, he thought as he turned and walked away.