Watchdog - Chapter 12

Watchdog

Too lost in the heat of the moment, Sunggyu ignored the ringing.  He was busy and everything else can wait.  He figured whoever it was would hang up soon enough.  However, the ringing continued.

"Sunggyu, you should answer it," said Woohyun.  "Calling at this time of the night, it must be urgent."

Sunggyu stopped what he was doing and took a look at Woohyun.  He let out a frustrated sigh.  He knew Woohyun was right.  He climbed off the bed and picked up his phone.

Woohyun sat up and looked at Sunggyu, noticing the frown on the older man's face.  He figured that the call was important after all.

Sunggyu ended the call and turned back to look at Woohyun.  "I'm sorry, I have to-"

"It's okay," said Woohyun with a smile as he pulled his shirt back on.  "Work is more important.  Be careful."

Sunggyu was only thankful that Woohyun was understanding.  He leaned in and kissed the younger man once more before rushing out the door.


His phone dropped to the floor when the steel bat came crashing down on his back from behind.  Myungsoo let out a cry of pain as he stumbled to the floor.  Hearing Myungsoo's voice, Sungyeol turned to see an attacker standing over Myungsoo with the steel bat in his hand, ready to strike again.

"Myungsoo!" Sungyeol called out as he tried desperately to reach him.

In that moment, Sungyeol left himself unguarded.  His attackers took the opportunity and struck their blades at him.  Sungyeol felt the sharp steel rip into his skin and tore at his flesh but he gritted his teeth and bore the pain as he threw himself on top of Myungsoo.  Using his own body to protect Myungsoo, he shielded Myungsoo from the blows that came crashing down on them.

Myungsoo lay there looking bitterly at the man on top of him.  He hated himself for being so helpless while watching Sungyeol take the full brunt of the impact.

"Why?" Myungsoo asked with tears b in his eyes.

Sungyeol looked at him with a smile.  "I thought you would have figured it out by now."  With those words, Sungyeol closed his eyes and collapsed on top of Myungsoo.

Myungsoo gathered what little strength he had left and raised his arms to wrap them around Sungyeol's back.  "Sungyeol, you idiot."

The group of men circled around them and raised the weapons in their hands, ready to finish off the helpless pair on the floor.  Myungsoo closed his eyes and waited for the end.

There were agonising screams as the sound of steel ripping through flesh echoed the air.  Upon hearing the sound of steel crashing upon steel, Myungsoo opened his eyes.  The group of men who were circling around him a moment ago were now dispersed.  He noticed several of the men lay dead on the floor beside him while the rest were focused on a black cladded masked figure wielding a blade.  At the sight of the figure, Myungsoo finally let himself slip into unconsciousness.

"No need to hide your face, commander Kim," spoke the bartender.  "We know about you and your missions."

The figure laughed.  "Do you now?" he asked.  "Then there's no room for negotiations.  I can't let you live."

With those words, he gripped the blade in his hand and charged at the group of men.

When it finally ended, he was the only one left standing.


Alone in his apartment, Woohyun sat in quiet contemplation as he waited for Sunggyu.  He figured that something important must have happened for Sunggyu to be that worried.  He could only hope that Sunggyu would be okay.  His thoughts were interrupted by the loud banging at his door.  His eyes lit up as he rushed to open the door.

"Sunggyu..."