Watchdog - Chapter 15

Watchdog

Woohyun slowly opened his eyes and found himself staring at a unfamiliar ceiling, dressed in clothes that did not belong to him.  He glanced around the room, wondering where he was until he caught sight of Sunggyu asleep beside his bed.  He tried to sit up until to realise that Sunggyu was holding onto his hand.  His movement caused Sunggyu to wake.

"Woohyun, are you okay?"  Sunggyu asked with worry. "Are you in pain anywhere?"

Woohyun pursed his lips and shook his head.  "Where am I?"

"Safe," Sunggyu replied.

There was a brief moment of silence before Woohyun asked, "What about those men?"

Sunggyu clenched his jaw.  "They won't hurt you anymore," he assured Woohyun.  "I promise."

Another moment of silence.

"I'm sorry," said Sunggyu.  "It's because of me that you got caught up in this."

Woohyun managed a brief smile.  "I'm glad," he replied, much to Sunggyu's surprise.  "This is the reason why you pushed me away.  I was worried that you didn't like me that's why you rejected me."

"Are you not scared to be around a man like me?" Sunggyu asked.  "I have a bounty on my head and a lot of enemies."

"I'm more scared of you abandoning me," Woohyun admitted solemnly.  "Please don't abandon me."

Hearing Woohyun's words, Sunggyu lunged forward and wrapped his arms around Woohyun, pulling the younger man into his embrace.  "I won't abandon you.  I won't let anyone hurt you ever again."

A knock at the door interrupted their moment.  The pair pulled apart and looked to see the doctor standing there.

"Sorry to interrupt," said the doctor.  "I just came to check on the patient."

Woohyun looked at the sloppily dressed man and tensed, seemingly wary of the stranger.

"It's okay," said Sunggyu.  "This is Dongwoo.  Despite how he looks, he's a doctor.  This is his clinic.  He also took care of your injuries."

"A doctor?" said Woohyun, a little surprised.

Dongwoo approached Woohyun and smiled.  "Good to see you're awake.  How are you feeling?"

"I'm fine," Woohyun replied.  "When can I go home?"

Dongwoo glanced at Sunggyu.

"You can't return home right now," Sunggyu interjected, recalling the bloody state of Woohyun's apartment.  "It's not safe.  Just stay here until you're better."

Woohyun seemed uneasy at the thought of staying at a private clinic and how much it would cost.  "But I can't afford-"

"It's fine," said Dongwoo, realising Woohyun's concern.  "Our commander has a running bill here.  I'll put it on his tab."

Woohyun pursed his lips and remained quiet.

"Once you're better you can stay at my place," said Sunggyu.

Woohyun looked at Sunggyu.  "No, it's okay.  I can find a temporary place to stay."

"It's not negotiable," Sunggyu stated sternly. 

"You're already busy having to look after a child," said Woohyun.  "I don't want to impose on you."

Sunggyu let out a sigh, realising why Woohyun was refusing to stay at his place.  "The child is my nephew, Myungsoo and he's 23.  He doesn't need looking after," Sunggyu declared.  "You on the other hand, I can't let out of my sight."


In another room of the clinic, Myungsoo sat beside Sungyeol's bed while the later remained unconscious.  Sungyeol had always been there for him so much so that he took him for granted.  Now, the thought that he might lose him was causing him much grief.

"Sungyeol," Myungsoo whispered, hoping that Sungyeol could hear him.  "It seems that the old man's secret lover is the one named Woohyun who works in the cafeteria at headquarters.  That explains why he showed up in the cafeteria."  He let out a small chuckle but the smile on his face soon faded as he stared at Sungyeol who lay unresponsive.

A moment of silence passed.

"Sungyeol, I'm tired," said Myungsoo.  "If you're not going to respond to me then I'm going to leave."

Myungsoo waited, thinking that if Sungyeol could hear him then he would wake up.  After several minutes, Myungsoo let out a sigh of resignation.  He stood up to walk away but felt a hand grab his arm.  His eyes widened in surprise as he turned back to see Sungyeol holding onto him.

"Don't leave..." Sungyeol managed to say.  "Didn't you promised that you would listen to whatever I say?"

Relief swept over Myungsoo but rather than show how overjoyed he was, Myungsoo frowned.  "If you heard me then why didn't you wake up sooner?"

"I tried," Sungyeol responded, still gripping onto Myungsoo's arms.  "But my body wouldn't listen to me."

Myungsoo stood looking at Sungyeol as if contemplating something.  "I won't leave but you must promise me one thing."

"What is it?" Sungyeol asked.

"You have to promise me first and then I'll tell you," said Myungsoo.

Sungyeol smiled, seeing the lively Myungsoo back to his usual demanding self.  "I promise."

"From now on, you're not allowed to play the hero ever again for my sake," Myungsoo declared sternly.  "Do you hear me?"

Sungyeol smiled.  "As long as you don't play the damsel in distress again."