Watchdog - Chapter 5

Watchdog

At the hospital, Sunggyu waited outside the consultation room when his phone buzzed in his pocket.  He glanced at the name of the caller before answering it.

"Sunggyu," spoke the voice on the other line.  "The men who attacked you were contract killers.  Someone's placed a hit on you.  You need to be careful."

Sunggyu sighed.  It was expected for someone in his position.  "I understand."

He ended the call and contemplated a moment before dialling his phone.


After getting the all clear from the doctor, the young man emerged from the consultation room but did not see Sunggyu anywhere.  He figured that Sunggyu must had gone home.  After all, it had been a long night and the older man must be very tired.  He didn't think much of it and started to make his way out when he was approached by a young looking officer in uniform.

"You must be Nam Woohyun," said the officer.

The young man nodded hesitantly.

The officer's face beamed with a smile.  "The commander had some urgent thing he needed to attend to and asked me to take you home," he informed as he produced his badge.  "I'm Sungjong."

The young man smiled politely at the officer yet he could not help but feel a little dejected inside.


Sungjong pulled up in front of an old apartment building and waited while Woohyun got out of the car.

"Thank you," said Woohyun.

Sungjong smiled.  "It's my job."

Woohyun closed the car door and made his way inside.

Sungjong sat and watched until Woohyun disappeared inside the building before he took out his phone and dialled a number.

"How is he?" the voice on the line asked.

"Safe and sound," Sungjong replied.  "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"No, that's all.  Thank you."


Early the next morning, he was awoken by the ringing of his phone.  He groaned before taking his pillow and placing it over his head to block out the sound.  He figured that whoever it was would hang up soon.  The ringing continued.  He groaned in frustration and finally reached for his phone.

"Who is it?" he asked sleepily with eyes still closed.

"Myungsoo, are you still sleeping?" the voice on the other end asked.  "You're going to be late if you don't get up now!"

"Hm?" he groaned.  "Late for what?"

"There's a briefing this morning about the incident last night."

"What incident?"

"The commander was attacked by mercenaries last night."

"Oh."

Silence.

"What?" he snapped when those words finally sank in.


Without bothering to knock, he pushed the door open and stepped inside.  He walked over and slammed his hands onto the desk where the older man was sitting.

"You were attacked last night?" he asked.

Sunggyu raised his eyes and looked at the young man standing in front of him with unbrushed hair and sloppily dressed appearance.  He frowned.  "You're late.  You missed the briefing this morning.  Did you just wake up?  Why did you not report to me yesterday like I asked?  You ignored your captain's orders and did things on your own.  That is unacceptable."

Myungsoo rolled his eyes before frowning while the older man lectured him.  "I've got a massive headache right now and listening to you nag is not helping," he interjected.  "Anyway what's this about mercenaries attacking you?  Do you think it's-"

"I don't believe so," Sunggyu replied.  "They wouldn't go as low as to ask for help from mercenaries."

Myungsoo scoffed at the older man's words.  "I beg to differ.  We all know how rotten they are."

Sunggyu knew that he was right but remained silent.  "How are you injuries?" he asked, changing the subject.

Myungsoo glanced at his arm.  "Just a scratch," he replied with a smirk.  "So you're worried about me after all."

"I don't want your mother to say I don't look after you when she comes back," he replied.

"Right, it's been 15 years," Myungsoo reminded him.  "I doubt she's ever coming back.  I'm your responsibility now."