Watchdog - Chapter 13

Watchdog

Myungsoo jolted awake to find Sunggyu sitting beside his bed.  His eyes frantically searched the room.  "Where's Sungyeol?"

"Next door," Sunggyu replied.

Hearing this, Myungsoo immediately climbed out of bed but the moment he stood up he felt the world spin around him.  Sunggyu grabbed him by the shoulders and sat him back down on the bed.  "Where do you think you're going?"

"I have to see him," Myungsoo insisted.

"You're in no condition to run about," Sunggyu scolded sternly.  "The drug in your body hasn't completely worn off yet."

Realising that he was not going to win this argument, Myungsoo finally gave in.  "How is he?"

Sunggyu let out a solemn sigh.  "His injuries are serious."

"Please let me see him."


Sunggyu finally gave in to Myungsoo's plea and helped him to the next room.  Sungyeol was lying unconscious on the bed while the doctor tended to the wound on his back.  Myungsoo could see the extent of Sungyeol's injuries from the amount of bloodied bandages on the table.

"Is he going to be alright?" Myungsoo asked softly.

The doctor glanced at him.  The snarky brat he was so used to now seemed so subdued.  "He's lost a lot of blood.  We'll just have to wait and see how strong his will to live is."

"It's all my fault," said Myungsoo.  "I should have listened to him."

"No," Sunggyu interrupted.  "It's my fault for sending you two on this mission."

"They knew who we were," said Myungsoo, his eyes fixed on Sungyeol's body.  "They knew we were coming."

Sunggyu frowned while listening to Myungsoo's words.  Few knew of the mission and those that did were his close subordinates whom he trusted.  Or so he thought.  Thought he hated to admit it, there was a traitor amongst them.

The air was heavy inside the quiet room until the doctor sighed as he packed up his tools and the bloodied bandages.  He stopped beside Myungsoo and saw the solemn look on the younger man's face. 

"He's a tough guy.  He'll pull through.  I mean, he's been putting up with you all this time.  Not everyone can do that you know?" the doctor teased.  "I'm sure he'll be fine."

The doctor made his way out of the room.  Sunggyu followed suite, allowing Myungsoo to stay.

Once the door was closed behind them, Myungsoo approached the bed and reached for Sungyeol's hand.  "Hey, if you wake up, I promise I'll listen to you.  I'll do whatever you say so please wake up."


The doctor entered his office and handed Sunggyu a piece of paper.  "For you."

Sunggyu looked at the piece of paper and began reading it when his phone buzzed in his pocket.  He glanced at the unknown caller and contemplated a moment before finally answering it.

"Commander Kim," spoke the disguised voice on the other line.  "I believe I have something that belongs to you."

Sunggyu's eyes frowned in anger when an image appeared on his screen.  Woohyun lay unconscious on the floor, bloodied and beaten and surrounded by a group of menacing men, mercenaries.  What he feared most had happened.  He clenched his fist in anger.

"The one you're after is me," Sunggyu stated sternly.  "Let him go!"

"You're the one who made us resort to such measures, commander," mocked the voice.  "It's his bad luck for meeting someone like you."

"What do you want?" Sunggyu asked.

"I want you to have a taste of what it's like to lose all those you care about."

The call ended abruptly.

Sunggyu immediately headed for the door but the doctor stopped him.

"You know it's a trap," said the doctor.

"I know," Sunggyu replied.

The doctor sighed.  "Yet you're still heading straight into it?  I've never known you to lose your composure before.  He must be very important."

"He is," Sunggyu stated and walked out the door.

As soon as Sunggyu disappeared out the door, the doctor took out his phone and dialled a number.  "It's me.  Our dear commander has taken the bait."

"Of course he would," spoke the voice.  "What about those two?"

"One is on the brink of death and the other is useless right now," he replied.  "Consider them both incapacitated."