Watchdog - Chapter 7

Watchdog

Sunggyu stood under the hot shower, lost in thought.  A smile appeared upon his face at the thought of that person.  Why could he not stop thinking about him?  No one has ever made him feel this way before.

"Why are you standing there smiling like an idiot, old man?" a voice asked.

It was only then that he jolted back to reality.  He glanced at the intruder and frowned.  He turned off the tap and grabbed a towel off the nearby rack.  "Myungsoo, didn't I tell you to knock before you come in?" he asked as he wrapped the towel around his waist.

"I did," Myungsoo replied, nonchalantly.  "But you were obviously too busy smiling to hear.  Besides, it's not like I haven't seen it all before."  He headed towards the toilet with a smirk on his face.  "What were you smiling about anyway?"

Sunggyu ignored his question and walked out the door.


He returned to his room but before he could even get dressed, he heard his phone ring.  Noticing who the caller was, he answered it.  "Hoya, what is it?"

"Apparently, the bounty on your head is $10 million," Hoya informed.  "Someone must really want you dead."

Sunggyu hardly seemed surprised at Hoya's words.  "That would be just about everyone."

"The commander of the police force is such a hated man," Hoya teased.  "I'd hate to be you."

Sunggyu only sighed.

"Don't worry," Hoya assured him.  "I've asked him to let us know if he finds out anything else."


Sungyeol sighed as he looked at Myungsoo who sat opposite him at the table eating lunch.  "Do you make it a habit to forget your wallet everyday?"

Myungsoo smirked and looked at Sungyeol.  "Why do I need it when I've got you-"  His words stopped short when he caught sight of something behind Sungyeol.

"What are you looking at?" Sungyeol asked as he turned his head to see what had caught Myungsoo's attention.

"Last night he was smiling to himself and today he's at the cafeteria," said Myungsoo, curiously.  "Since when does he have lunch at he cafeteria?"


The moment Sunggyu stepped into the busy cafeteria, his eyes immediately darted towards the counter as if searching for something.  He seemed a little disappointed when he did not see the person he was looking for.  Concerned, he approached the counter and spoke to the lady on duty.

"What would you like?" she asked him, thinking that he wanted to order lunch.

"Pardon me," said Sunggyu.  "I just wanted to ask if Woohyun was working today?"

"Ah Woohyun, he's sick," she replied.  "The poor boy must have gotten caught in the rain last night.  He's come down with a fever."

Sick? thought Sunggyu with a mask of concern.  He quickly thanked the lady and left.


Myungsoo and Sungyeol watched as Sunggyu disappeared out the door.

"For someone who rarely comes to the cafeteria and then leaves without ordering anything is rather suspicious," said Myungsoo with a smirk.  "What's the old man up to?"

Sungyeol shrugged.  "Maybe they didn't have what he was after."

"That was a worried look on his face," Myungsoo pointed out.  "Would he have that look just because they didn't have his favourite food?  Seriously, how long have you been a detective?"

Sungyeol sighed.  "If you really must know, why don't you just go ask the lady there."

Myungsoo's eyes gleamed with excitement.  "I have a better idea."


Sunggyu pulled up outside the apartment building and sat in his car contemplating what he was doing.  He just wanted to find out if the fever was serious or not but he did not have Woohyun's number to call him and before he knew it, he had already arrived at Woohyun's place.  He let out a sigh before climbing out of the car.
 

He stepped out of the old lift and walked down the hallway until he arrived at Woohyun's door.  He was hesitant to press the buzzer, worried that he might wake Woohyun if the younger man was sleeping.  He struggled with this thought until he heard a crash from inside.

The sound startled him and he could not help but think that Woohyun was in trouble. "Woohyun!" he called out as he frantically banged on the door.  "Woohyun!  Are you alright?"

After his continuous banging and no response from inside, he contemplated breaking down the door  The only thing stopping him was the thought of how much it would trouble Woohyun if he did.

"Woohyun!" he called again.

Finally, the door slowly opened.  Woohyun stood looking dishevelled.  "Commander, what are you doing here?" he asked with surprise.

"Are you alright?  What happened?  What was that crash I heard?" Sunggyu asked frantically.

Woohyun saw the worried look on the older man's face.  "It's nothing," he replied with a slight smile.  "I was trying to cook some food and accidentally dropped a plate."

Sunggyu was relief to hear that.  "What about your fever?" he asked as he reached out and placed a hand on Woohyun's forehead.

Woohyun was startled by the older man's touch but he remained standing still.

"You're burning up," Sunggyu stated.  "Have you taken any medication?  Have you been to the doctor?"

"It's just a slight fever," Woohyun assured him.  "I'll be fine if I just rest a bit."

Sunggyu let out a sigh.  He did not want to pressure Woohyun.  "Then you should rest in bed," he ordered.  "I'll cook you something to eat."

Woohyun's eyes lit up with surprise.

In his tired state, Woohyun did as he was told and went back to bed.  As he lay down, Sunggyu pulled the covers over his shoulders and made sure he was comfortable.  He then watched in silence as Sunggyu soaked a cloth in water and rinsed it out before placing it on his forehead.  Woohyun could not help but smile.  Having someone take care of him like this was a new experience after all.

"You look like you've done this before," Woohyun said softly.

Sunggyu sighed.  "I have a brat who often got sick when he was little."

Brat? thought Woohyun with surprise.  His face faltered when realisation hit him.  So he's married and has a child.