Watchdog - Chapter 4

Watchdog

He frowned upon hearing the distorted voice on the other line.  Whoever it was, he figured that it was probably someone he knew.  Why else would they bother to disguise their voice?  Over the years he had probably made enemies with many people, far too many for him to count.  In this line of work, it was an unavoidable thing.

The call ended abruptly before he could say anything.  He let out a sigh and turned his attention to his car.  Upon remembering the young man, he quickly rushed over and opened the passenger door.  He found the young man still crouched down in the seat, covering his head with trembling hands.  He frowned upon realising how frightened the young man.  For someone like him who was so used to this sort of thing, it was just another day but for the young man it was a different story.

Without realising it, he reached out and pulled the young man into his arms and held him tight.  With their close proximity, he could feel the young man's body trembling all over.  Realising this made him uneasy.

"I'm sorry," he whispered to the young man.  "I'm sorry for putting you through such an ordeal."

The young man remained quiet as he held him like that until help arrived a short time later.

The place was soon flooded with police who had arrived hastily after receiving their commander's call.  While several officers examined the crime scene, a plain clothes detective approached the car.

"Sunggyu, are you okay?" the detective asked with concern.

The commander looked at his subordinate and finally released the young man from his embrace.  "I'm fine," he replied.  "I'll leave you to take care of things here."

The subordinate frowned questioningly.  "Where are you going?"

"I have something important I need to take care of first," he replied as he turned his attention back to the young man and helped him out of the car.  "Come on, I'll take you to the hospital."

Still traumatised by what he had just experience, the young man's legs gave way beneath him as he struggled to stand.  Sunggyu was quick to catch him before he fell.  Without a word, he scooped the young man up into his arms and carried him to a waiting police car.  They drove away from the scene, leaving the detective to watch on.

The detective let out a sigh as he walked over to where a coroner was examining the bodies of the men on the ground.

"Find anything?" he asked.

"The commander has great aim," the coroner commented as he looked at the bullet wounds on the victims bodies.  "Each bullet killed his attackers instantly.  What a fearsome man."  He then rolled up the sleeve of one of the dead men to reveal a tattoo.  "Any ideas about this?"

The detective furrowed his brows when he recogised the tattoo.


A short moment later another car arrived at the scene and a man got out.  He approached the detective who was standing watch beside the coroner.

"Hoya!" the man called out.  "We came as soon as we got the call."

The detective looked up.  "Sungyeol, you reek of alcohol," he remarked.  "And where is he?"

The man gave a reluctant nod towards his parked car.

The detective followed the man's line of sight and saw a sleeping figure in the passenger seat of the car.  "What happened to him?"

"We went out celebrating and he had a bit too much to drink," Sungyeol replied reluctantly.

Hoya sighed as he shook his head in disappointment.

"Where's the commander?" Sungyeol asked as he glanced around.  "Is he alright?"

"He's fine," Hoya informed.  "He's on his way to the hospital."

"Hospital?" Sungyeol asked with surprise.  "Was he injured?"

Hoya shook his head.  "He had a passenger with him at the time."


Sunggyu drove along the dark and deserted street while glancing at the young man beside him every now and then to check up on him.  The young man wrapped his arms around himself as he sat still trembling from the traumatic experience.

"Are you hurt anywhere?" he asked.

The young man was quiet for a moment before finally shaking his head.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

The young man did not respond. 

Sunggyu sighed.  He could not blame him.  Who could ever be alright after such a terrible experience?

"I'm sorry," Sunggyu apologised.  "It's all my fault.  Those people were targeting me.  I'm sorry you got caught up in it."

Silence.

Sunggyu let out a disappointed sigh.  He was at a lost of what to do or say.  He knew that no matter what he said, he could not salvage the situation.  He figured that the young man probably wished that they had never met.

They drove on in silence.

"Does...does it happen often?" the young man asked, much to Sunggyu's surprise.

"People trying to kill me?" Sunggyu asked, nonchalantly.  "It's part of the job."

The young man was silent again.

Sunggyu could only guess what he was thinking.  "I'll take you home after we've been to the hospital for a check up."

The young man pursed his lips and remained silent.

"Don't worry," Sunggyu assured him.  "You'll be safe as long as you stay away from me."