Watchdog - Chapter 19

Watchdog

Sungjong stared in disbelief at the figure, who not seconds ago was restrained by ropes yet had someone managed to break free and get past the group of men that had him surrounded.  Perhaps like Sungjong, the group had let their guards down against someone they had thought was not a threat.  Not only did the figure get past the group so easily but he even managed to do it in such speed that he was able to block the bullet.  Glancing at the sword in the figure's hand, Sungjong realised that it was the sword which Sunggyu had relinquished earlier.

"You..." Sungjong began.  "You're not really a cafeteria worker, are you?  Who are you really?"

Woohyun did not answer as he glared at his opponent standing before him.  He was too afraid to turn around to face Sunggyu.  He could only imagine the expression on the older man's face.

Sungjong glanced past Woohyun and looked at Sunggyu.  "You do not seem surprised, commander," said Sungjong.  "Is he another one of your subordinates?  If this is an elaborate scheme that you've set up then you've gone to much trouble."

Sunggyu remained silent, his eyes fixated on Woohyun's back.

Sungjong glared at the pair in front of him.  "No matter, you'll both die today," he said.  "Kill them!"

On Sungjong's command, the group of mercenaries rushed forward, only to be intercepted by Woohyun.  Sunggyu remained where he was and watched in silence as Woohyun fought against the group of men.  Woohyun's actions were swift.  The limp is his leg was no longer present as he battled against the group with the sword in his hand.

Sunggyu was too focused on Woohyun that he did not see two men charge at him from the sides.  He glanced up and saw their weapons lowered towards him.  He made no attempt to evade their attacks.

"Sunggyu!" Woohyun shouted out when he caught sight of what was about to happen.  He wanted to rush over to save Sunggyu but the group of men blocked his path.

The two men's attack was stopped when two masked figures appeared and block their attacks with the swords in their hands.  The two masked figures struck the two men down while a third masked figure helped Sunggyu up.

"Commander," said the third masked figure as he helped support Sunggyu's wait.  "You're bleeding too much.  We need to go."

Sunggyu looked at the figure beside him and frowned.  "Didn't I say for you not to come?" Sunggyu asked.  "You've just recovered."

The figure beside him remained silent.

Woohyun breathed a sigh of relief seeing that Sunggyu was safe.  In that moment of distraction, Woohyun left himself open for attack.  Sungjong used the opportunity to pull out a knife and stabbed it into Woohyun's side.  Woohyun struck his sword at Sungjong and stepped back.  He glanced down at the knife embedded into his side as blood trickled down from his wound.

The three masked figures looked at Sunggyu who nodded his head.  They quickly rushed over and took on Sungjong and the group of mercenaries.  Sungjong could not believe that despite being outnumbered, the three masked figures struck down all those in their way.  There was no sign of mercy as their opponents fell to the ground.  Before he knew it, Sungjong found himself to be the only one left standing.  They were far stronger and ruthless than he had thought.  He knew he was no match for them as they aimed their swords at him.

Woohyun watched as Sungjong fell to the ground.  The next thing Woohyun knew, the three masked figures had him surrounded, their swords pointed at him.  He looked at them as they slowly pulled off their masks to reveal their faces.

"So you're the government's watchdog."