CHAPTER 48

FOUR

Before going back to the dining table to eat with the girls again, Jennie stopped herself by their door, wiped her face properly making sure there would be no evidence of her crying before facing the girls again. She didn’t want them to question her endlessly, she didn’t want to talk about that issue again, though she couldn’t just forget about it, she just didn’t want to speak about in a daily basis.

She used the sleeves of her oversized shirt to wipe her face clean, then fixed her hair, and before walking back to her destination, she plastered a smile on her face making it as fine as possible. She then went back in their dining area and saw Rose and Jisoo were making fun of Lisa, they were laughing and joking around, somehow the sight refreshed her, she was sure she’s going to miss this, big time.

She sat down on her seat again, and continued eating the breakfast her friends made for her, and enjoyed it, setting the conversation she had with Min Jae just now aside, she was eating quietly when the girls finally had noticed her come back, “Oh unnie, what took you so long?” Lisa asked with a kiddy pout.

Rose beamed in too with the same facial expression, “Deh, we thought you intended to be out for a long time because you didn’t like the food we made…”

Jennie chuckled at her two younger friends then put down her utensils before reaching out to pinch each of their cheeks, “You two are so cute,” she said as she squished their cheeks making the two protest much to Jennie’s enjoyment.

Jisoo laughed with Jennie as she was her partner in crime in bullying the maknaes after all. Jennie let go of the girls’ faces who were now had pinkish cheeks because of Jennie’s pinching. Jisoo teased the two further as she and Jennie fist bumped each other.

“Unnies are bad…” Lisa whined while massaging her cheek that was squished, Rose nodding in agreement beside her while doing the same thing.

Jisoo giggled at them then turned her attention to Jennie, “Yah Jenjen, who was at the door that took so long for you to come back?” she asked in curiosity.

Jennie abruptly stopped from laughing and looked around their dining area avoiding the three girls’ gazes trying to think of an excuse, “Ah… An ajhumma mistook our place with the place she was looking for, then I tried to help her out so…” she answered with a shrug trying to look as convincing as possible.

Good thing the three just nodded their heads in acknowledgement and just continued eating. Jennie felt at ease that they didn’t ask further anymore that she finished her meal quickly and told the girls she’ll take a bath then pack her things already. The three girls agreed and just let her be as they started cleaning their kitchen and table.

Jennie went upstairs to her and Jisoo’s bedroom and went inside the bathroom. She washed herself for a good twenty minutes and went straightly to their walk in closet when she dried herself already. She looked through her clothes as she decided on an outfit. She picked out a pink ringer shirt with seashell patches on the front that she tucked in with a black leather skirt that was zipped up on front.

She walked out of their closet and faced their vanity mirror inside their bathroom as she started to put light make–up on her face, then blow dried her hair and made it wavy using their hair iron. She smiled at her reflection as she felt satisfied at her appearance.

She then grabbed her black sling bag and placed her passport, ticket, emergency pouch, and phone inside. Afterwards, she picked up her carry–on luggage and put it on the floor as she placed all the clothes she had prepared last night before going to bed. She also put inside her other things like her camera, laptop, and other necessary things for her.

Once done, she zipped her luggage up and put it properly on the floor, ready to go. She slang her bag on her shoulder and pulled her luggage along with her as she went downstairs to the living room where the girls were waiting for her. Lisa helped her settling her luggage down while she went to their shoe rack and grabbed her black old skool vans and wore it.

When she was all set, she went to the living room and saw the girls were standing and waiting for her already with sad expressions on their faces, she chuckled a bit at them, “Aish, you guys are treating me as if I’m never coming back,” she said jokingly but inside her she was feeling sad as well, she was attached with them that it pained her to leave them for the first time since middle school.

Rose went beside her and hugged her, “We’re going to miss you unnie,” Rose softly said as she hugged her unnie tightly, Jennie hugged back with a smile. Lisa and Jisoo joined their hug making it into a group hug.

“Unnie, jebal, hajima,” Lisa said dramatically making Jennie laugh.

She pat their backs before pulling herself away from the hug, “Yah, I’m just going on a vacation!”

“Is it really just a vacation, Jennie?” Jisoo asked in a serious yet sad tone. Jennie’s face slowly fell and the girls knew she wasn’t completely telling the truth that there was a high possibility that it would take long before she comes back again that it made them feel like crying.

Noticing their eyes getting watery, Jennie gave out a bright and assuring smile to lift their moods up, “Don’t worry, I promise I’ll come back, I just don’t know when…”

“Aish, unnie…” Rose hugged her again as she was shedding tears already, Jennie chuckled as she hugged her back, Rose would always be her cute little baby, she thought to herself.

“Are you sure you don’t want us to accompany you to the airport at least?” Lisa asked with a sad pout trying to convince Jennie with her cuteness again, knowing her she would cringe but she would never resist it.

“I know what you’re trying to do Lalisa,” Jennie said in a warning tone, making Lisa huff and cross her arms on her chest like a child.

Jisoo laughed at them, “Come on, Jennie let us go with you at the airport.”

“Not you too unnie, I know you three would just cling to me until I miss the flight,” she said knowingly making the girls frown for they got busted, that Jennie let out a soft laugh.

“Just walk me outside, okay?” she told them that finally made them smile and happily skipped their way towards the door, with Jennie in the middle of Rose and Jisoo clinging on her hands, while Lisa followed behind them pulling Jennie’s luggage with her.

They went out of their house, and waited for an empty taxi to pass by them, while waiting, they still tried their best to convince Jennie that she should bring them with her on the airport, shooting her with all their best aegyos, including Jisoo. But Jennie would just laugh at their silliness and shook her head no.

Just then, the three gave up eventually as a taxi finally came by their house, they hailed it immediately that stopped in front of them. Rose opened the door for Jennie and let her get in followed by Lisa who placed her carry–on luggage inside the back seat of the taxi too. They were also the one who told the driver where Jennie was heading.

“Ajhussi, take her to the airport safe and sound, okay?!” Jisoo said strictly.

“Yah Ajhussi, I have your plate number, okay? Drive safely, neh?!” Lisa added, making the Ajhussi chuckle at them while Jennie cover her face in embarrassment.

“Okay, kids, I’ll remember that,” the driver said between his chuckles.

“Bye unnie, take care! Call us when you land, hmm?” Rose said while waving at Jennie.

Jennie nodded her head and said good bye to them, she opened the taxi’s window and waved good bye to the girls as the taxi started moving, the girls waving back at her while shouting a lot of ’take cares’, ‘I miss yous,’ and ‘I love yous’.

When they were far enough, she closed the window and turned to the driver, “Ajhussi, I’m sorry they threatened you,” she apologized as she really felt shy when Jisoo and Lisa did that, but she still loved them for that.

The Ajhussi chuckled and shook his head, “Aniya, your friends just love you too much,” he told her with a warm tone while glancing at her on the rear view mirror.

“Ah, deh, they really do,” Jennie said with a wide and contented smile. She knew she wouldn’t find any other friends like them, they weren’t just a friend for her, they were practically her sisters, her family. She found her and the Ajhussi got along well that they talked a lot of stuff during the whole ride, that she didn’t realize they were about to pull off at the airport already.

The Ajhussi was warm, kind, and had a fatherly affection that it made her comfortable talking with him, it made her miss her father who already passed when she was eight, “Ah, here we are Miss Jennie,” the driver said making her look out the window and indeed, she’s in the airport already.

“Oh, that fast?” Jennie said in dismay. The Ajhussi let out a soft laugh as he nodded his head, “Ajhussi, thank you, I had a great time talking with you,” she sincerely said, the older male smiled back at her then quickly went out of his car as he helped her carry her luggage out of the car.

Jennie grabbed her luggage from him and thanked him once again, the Ajhussi patted her head like a kid, “You’re welcome, as your friends say, take good care of yourself,” the man smiled, “And face everything whatever you have to face,” the Ajhussi added with a meaningful smile making Jennie look at him with wide eyes.

“Ajhussi…”

“You look troubled despite that bright smile on your face,” the Ajhussi said still smiling at her.

“Ajhussi, is this cab available?” they heard someone asked, the Ajhussi said good bye to Jennie and went back to his cab already with another passenger. Jennie stood stunned on her spot as she stared at the taxi that she previously occupied driving away from her as the words that the man told her lingered in her mind.

“Weird,” she mumbled. Maybe it was his father’s instinct, she thought to herself. She just shrugged then pulled her luggage with her as she walked her way to the airport now. She went inside and went for the rest room first as she forgot to do her business at home because of the girls’ dilemma.

She smiled remembering their faces, she washed her hands afterwards and wiped it dry with the tissue. She checked her phone first before going out that she let out another laugh again when she saw she had messages coming from the girls.

From LALISA:

‘Unnie, I’ll miss you so much… Come back ppali ppali~~~’

‘And don’t forget my make–up!’

From Rozey Pasta:

‘Unnie call us every time okay? Take care of yourself! Learn a lot of pasta recipes the New Zealand way and teach it to me, okay!

From Jichu Unnie:

YAH JENJEN! Come back arrasseo?! And eat plenty of meat and milk there, alright?! Gain some weight!

She giggled reading their messages, she gave them each a reply with a smile still on her face. After that, she locked her phone and was about to return it to her bag again when it vibrated and a new message popped out.

From: +82xxxxxxxxxx

‘Hajima… Jebal hajima…’

The message read. She furrowed her eyebrows, wondering who that person was, and in questions, she haven’t encountered that number before… Or did she? She wasn’t sure, her memorizing skills wasn’t that good. Then her eyes widened in surprise, her heart pounded hard as she thought of one possible person. Could it be?

But she dismissed the whole idea immediately as she knew only the girls completely knew about her departure. She just shrugged it all away and put her phone back inside her bag and started walking to the check in counter. She looked around as she walked herself to her destination.

Her mind drifted to if she was doing the right thing right now. Leaving the country, as well as her unsolved problems behind, especially the person who she didn’t even give a single chance to explain himself. It made her bow down in sadness.

She missed him. But she just couldn’t really find herself talking with him. Even though a lot of people already advised her to open her mind and forgive and forget the painful things, she couldn’t find herself absorbing the advice moreover doing it. Even the Ajhussi she just knew for about forty five minutes told her to do the same thing, but still…

“Aw!” she exclaimed when she bumped into someone while walking. She rubbed her forehead as it was the part that had most of the impact of the bumping because she had her head bowed while walking.

Jennie composed herself to apologize to the person she bumped into for it was obviously her fault but she felt weird as the person didn’t even shout at her or called her stupid or blind for not looking on her way that she quickly lifted her head up to see and apologize. Then she saw the person she bumped into was already staring right through her…

Those eyes… Those deep and meaningful eyes, the sharp nose, the black soft hair, those fine thin lips, she knew all of that, she knew everything about that… And that smell, the manly yet sweet smell… She knew it all too well… making her eyes watery, she didn’t expect to see him here, now, how did he know that she’ll be right here right now?

She just kept on staring as the person did the same thing, with relief, joy, and hope filling up his eyes. They felt the time stopped around them, the people walking to and from around them froze too, it felt like they were the only ones standing and existing that time.

“T–taehyung…” she softly called out, out of disbelief, out of shock, out of nervousness, and out of relief. She didn’t know why but she felt relieved seeing him now before leaving that she started to question herself - Is this why she felt her heart heavy as she made her way here to the airport? Despite the smiles and laughs that she let out while on the way here, she still felt troubled, is it because she didn’t see him before leaving? Is that what was the Ajhussi telling her?

She was so lost in his loving gaze that the next thing she knew, she felt his strong arms wrapped around her tightly, his face buried on her shoulder, she felt it being damped a little as she heard silent sniffing coming from him, “Jennie…” she heard him called out to her name, his voice broke completely but it was filled with longing, but she felt him smiling as her name came out from those lips.

She suddenly saw his face in front of her again as he pulled away from her, but his expression changed into a panic making her confused, “But wait, what are you still doing here? You were supposed to be on the plane right now?” Taehyung in worry making Jennie smile, he was still the silly Taehyung she liked.

“How did you even know I’d be here?” she asked ignoring his rants. But she got confused again when instead of answering her, he lifted his gaze up and looked around the airport.

Taehyung looked around the airport looking for Min Jae. Upon hearing Jennie’s questions, his brother crossed his mind eventually, remembering him. When he turned left, Min Jae came into view panting probably from all the running, he smiled when he saw him.

Jennie saw him smile sincerely while staring at the left side, feeling curious, she looked to the direction he was staring that made her eyes widen in surprise as she saw Min Jae waving at her with a smile, that figures, she totally forgot about mentioning Min Jae about her flight that’s why he also knew about it, Min Jae probably picked him up and drove him here to the airport to see her.

She turned her attention back to Taehyung, “He told you?” she asked, “Then was it you who texted me?”

Taehyung nodded his head with a smile on his face though the question kind of hurt him for at some point Jennie might’ve deleted his number. Then he turned back to Min Jae who he saw signaled him that he’ll be outside to wait for him.

Taehyung just nodded and went to look back at Jennie again who had her expression which he couldn’t decipher like that night when they had an awful confrontation, “Jennie…”

Jennie just rolled her eyes from him and grabbed her bag again pulling it with her and started to walk and pass by him, but Taehyung was quick enough to hold her back.

That’s it, he wouldn’t let go of her again, even though she would just keep on pushing him away, he won’t still leave her and continue on to pursue her just to have her back. Taehyung held both her arms in place, “Taehyung let go,” Jennie said firmly.

But it didn’t budge Taehyung, he shook his head stubbornly and stared right through her, “Andwae, not again Jennie, I won’t let you go this time,” he said with the same firmness in his tone.

Jennie tried to wiggle herself free but Taehyung was obviously stronger than her, “Jennie please, listen to me! I’m sorry, I’m sorry… Please...” hearing his sincere deep voice, Jennie stopped moving and just stared back at him, anticipating the other words he’s going to say.

Taehyung sighed in relief when she finally stopped moving, he slid his hands from her arms down to her hands, holding it tightly, “I let you go once and I’m not going to let it happen for the second time,” he started, “Jennie, what I did in the past wasn’t all in my intentions, all I intended to do was to be with you, make you happy, stay by your side no matter what it takes, care for you, and love you…”

Jennie felt stunned hearing him say that he loves her, it started to softened up her cold and blank face and her eyes turned watery and a bit blurry, she felt a tear fell off her eyes but it was quickly put away as Taehyung wiped it and held her face, “That time I was put in a hard position that it left me no choice but to leave you, I know you understand but it still doesn’t change the fact that I hurt you… And it hurt me more seeing you cry because of me that day… I didn’t let go and leave you hanging, I was still there holding on to what we had and hoping that one day everything would be fixed and you’ll be in my arms again…”

Taehyung smiled as tears started to flow down his face too, this time it was tears out of happiness not out of despair anymore, “That night, when I heard you say you like me too, it made me want to celebrate and be proud of myself, because finally the precious Jennie Kim is mine, and mine only,” his smile slowly dropped hearing himself say the next words, “But when I remembered the situation I’m into that night, I disposed the whole idea again… But today… I had given a chance to make you mine again, and I hope I wasn’t too late to do so… Please say I’m not too late Jennie–ah… Jebal… Am I too late…?” He nervously asked and waited for her answer.

Hearing everything he was saying right now, Jennie felt at ease again, she felt the familiar bliss, and contentment ran through her whole being again. She cupped his face in her hands as she smiled through the tears and shook her head answering him, “Aniya… You were never too late Taehyung–ah… Never…” she told him as Taehyung’s face started to light up again.

He hugged her tightly again, wrapping his arms around her waist tightly, her arms entwined around his neck with the same tightness, with a smile of pure contentment and happiness plastered on her face, “I’m sorry for pushing you away…”

Taehyung shook his head, “I’m sorry I gave you up just like that… But please bear this in your mind Jendeukie-ah… I love you so much that it would make me want to quit everything I have just to keep you in my arms…”

“Taehyung…” Jennie cried on his shoulder, the feeling and his words overwhelmed her big time, that she couldn’t handle her emotions anymore, in a good way though, “You’re making me cry pabo–yah…” Jennie wailed out making Taehyung chuckle while tightening his hold more to her and lifted her from the ground lightly making her squeal in surprise.

He put her down and pulled away lightly, his arms still around her as well as her. Taehyung wiped her face with his big hands as Jennie smiled lovingly at him. Taehyung was about to remove his hands from her face but Jennie held it in place with eyes closed and smile loving the feeling of his touch.

Taehyung smiled widely while staring at her, he felt successful as he thought Jennie would push him away and just leave him hanging like he did, but turned out the complete opposite happened much to his delight and contentment. It felt like he had reached his greatest achievement in his life. He couldn’t ask for more, just seeing her smiling made him want to live life to the fullest.

But his bright face slowly dropped when he remembered something, “Geunde… Do you really have to go?” he asked in a sad tone making Jennie flatter her eyes open and gave him an apologetic look.

“Deh…”

“But all the flights to New Zealand already left,” he reasoned with a sad pout making Jennie giggle at his cuteness.

“Ani, mom and I agreed to head to Japan first to have a tour then from there, we’re heading straight to New Zealand,” she explained as she pinched his cheeks that she missed so much, “I missed you so much Taehyung…” she said with pure love and affection in her eyes.

“Aish, I missed you too… Even if I’m looking at you right now, I’m still missing you…” he replied with the same amount of love and sincerity. Jennie hugged him by the neck again tiptoeing to reach him properly, Taehyung hugged her back as he kissed her temple.

“Last call for Flight 8035 heading to Tokyo, Japan, I repeat. Last call for Flight 8035 heading to Tokyo, Japan. Please head to the boarding now.”

They heard from the speakers making them pull away from each other with sad expressions on their faces. Jennie gave Taehyung a look as if saying that she have to go now. But Taehyung kept his stare on her and his tight hold on her hands. He sighed sadly and leaned his forehead on hers, the tips of their noses almost touching.

Jennie smiled sweetly, “Promise me… You’re going to wait for me…” she whispered.

Taehyung smiled and stared at her eyes intensely, “No matter how long it takes…”

Jennie smiled at his answer and was about to pull away from him, when she remembered to tell him something more, “Taehyung–ah… Are you going to let me go again?”

Taehyung held her face closely to his, “That. Would Never. Ever gonna happen baby,” he said putting a lot of intensity on every word he said, he meant it dearly and he let go of her once, he wasn’t going to do it again.

Jennie closed her eyes as she felt his soft lips on her forehead. A tear escaped her eye again. This is it. She was feeling the emotion she had been craving for all this time. She felt lucky to feel it before everything was too late.

Taehyung let go of her forehead and smiled at her, “Go now, before I make you miss the plane,” he warned making Jennie laugh softly, “Yah, and save my number!” she nodded her head with a giggle then pulled her bag with her again as she walked to the boarding area already.

She waved good bye at him but suddenly she saw him jogging towards her again. She gave him a questioning look, “Now that I saw you properly, your skirt was too short!” he whined.

Jennie rolled her eyes again but let out a giggle, here he was again being overly protective and conservative, she thought, but she loved it.

She saw him taking off his denim jacket and made her wear it that was unsurprisingly too large for her frame and was indeed longer than her skirt. After she wore it, Taehyung looked at her, satisfied, “There! Take that with you, so you won’t miss me that much,” he boastfully said.

“Don’t be so full of yourself, Taehyung–ssi,” she retorted with one brow raised.

Taehyung chuckled and hugged her one last time before telling her to go now and run for her plane. Jennie nodded and started to walk away from him again. But she abruptly stopped and turned to run towards Taehyung again.

Taehyung looked at her confused but the next thing she did left him stunned and speechless. Jennie put her hands on his shoulders and stood on her toes, and swiftly but sweetly kissed his cheek.

“See you later Taehyungie!” she shouted as she ran away from him and catch her plane.

Taehyung stoof thete and stared, dumbfounded, at the running girl before him with his hand touching the cheek that she kissed, moments later, when everything sank in, he chuckled in delight and shook his head.

“Aish… Chincha this girl…”

He uttered then gave a final look to where she went before turning his back around and went outside with a bright, happy, and contented smile on his face.

When he was out of the airport he quickly spotted Min Jae leaning on his car waiting for him, not long after Min Jae noticed him, and looked at him with an apologetic look, “Hyung, I’m sorry… For everything…” he sincerely apologized once Taehyung was in front of him.

Min Jae thought Taehyung would shout and yell angrily at him but Taehyung pulled him in a tight and brotherly hug.

“Thank you Min Jae-ah… Thank you…”