CHAPTER 33

FOUR

“Hey Kookie,” Jennie greeted when she saw the said male standing outside the ballroom of the hotel where their Graduation ball was being held.

Jungkook turned to the voice that called him and smiled immediately seeing that it was his friend, “Noona,” he greeted with a smile, “You look great!” he complimented making Jennie let out a soft chuckle.

“Annyeong Min Jae–ssi,” he greeted the guy beside Jennie with a bow, even though he was younger than Min Jae, he doesn’t call him hyung, but calls him with formality. He was honestly surprised that Jennie’s with him for what he knew Taehyung was supposed to be her date.

Min Jae bowed back, “Annyeong,” he greeted back with a small smile then turned to Jennie immediately, “Let’s go,” he said as he pulled her with him, entering the ballroom.

But Jennie gently pulled her hand back and told him to wait for a bit as she went back to where Jungkook was, “Why aren’t you inside?” she asked Jungkook curiously.

“Ah, I’m waiting for my Lalice, noona,” he said with a loving smile making Jennie smile with him hearing his sweet endearment for her friend.

But her smile slowly dropped in realization that Lisa hasn’t arrived yet, “She must’ve been caught in a traffic,” she said that Jungkook answered with a nod then both of them glanced at the entrance of the hotel hoping that Lisa would enter eventually.

Then Jungkook returned his attention to Jennie when he remembered something, “Noona, why were you with Min Jae, isn’t Taehyung hyung your date?” he whispered to her noticing that Min Jae was waiting for Jennie not that far from where they were.

“Min Jae told me that Taehyung’s running late and asked him to pick me up,” Jennie whispered back but confusion in Jungkook’s face didn’t fade even just a little.

“That’s weird, he would’ve asked us to fetch noona instead of him,” he mumbled that Jennie didn’t catch causing her to nudge Jungkook as she asked him what he had said.

Jungkook scratched his head, “Ah… What I said noona was, I’ll call hyung for you and ask him where he was,” he said with an assuring smile.

“Oh, that’s great Kookie! Tell me when you hear from him,” Jennie replied with a bright smile, Jungkook smiled back and nodded then told her to go with Min Jae inside so she could sit down and wait comfortably for his hyung.

Jennie nodded and waved to him before walking to where Min Jae was then went inside the ballroom with him. Jungkook grabbed his phone from his pocket and tapped the number six on his screen, speed dialing Taehyung.

He waited for the phone to be answered then stared at his phone in question when he heard the familiar voice of a woman saying that he should leave a message after the ring. Taehyung didn’t answer that it went straightly to voice mail.

He shrugged and just decided to call him again for a little while later that he returned his phone inside his pocket. He gazed back to the entrance of the hotel, waiting for Lisa. He heard that the program of their ball already started inside but he stayed rooted to his spot as he still patiently waited for Lisa.

He decided to call his hyung again, but no answer again. It started to make him worry but he was more worried about Lisa for two hours had already passed since the program started and she hasn’t arrived yet. He also called her phone but she wasn’t picking up too.

He walked nearer to the entrance thinking that Lisa might just be outside encountering some problems causing her to not enter inside yet. But to his dismay, no Lisa was found. In fact, the driveway entrance of the hotel was empty. Aside from the two security guards, two bellboys, and a waiting empty taxi.

Jungkook sighed in frustration as another hour had passed and neither Taehyung nor Lisa had arrived. He walked outside the hotel and went to a corner where there was no people and tried calling Lisa again.

No answer.

He dialed it again, still no answer.

For the third time, he dialed her number again while tapping his foot impatiently on the ground, “Please pick up… Please Lisa…” he chanted as he waited for it to be answered.

And he swore he couldn’t be any happier when the dial tone stopped and soft shuffling was heard from the other line, indicating that it was answered.

“Lisa…” he greeted when a minute had already passed and no answer was still heard from the other line.

“Yes?” his eyebrows furrowed hearing her simple and blunt answer, plus her cold voice.

Jungkook blinked his worries away, “A–are you alright? Where are you? Are you on your way now? Were you caught in a traffic?” he continuously asked in a panic voice.

“Don’t wait for me anymore, Jungkook.”

Jungkook felt like a bucket of iced cold water was poured onto him. He slightly pulled his phone away from his ear, and checked if he’s talking with the right person. He felt everything was falling apart when he confirmed that it was indeed Lisa he’s talking with but why was she being so cold towards him.

He swallowed the lump in his throat before speaking, “I–I don’t understand…” he replied then he heard her let out a tired sigh.

“Let’s break up.”

“W–what…” was all he could utter. He couldn’t construct a proper reply as he can’t understand what he was feeling right now – Confusion, nervous, hurt, and worry – those were the feelings that were currently filling up all his being, but above all that, hurt and pain were centered in his insides.

“I said, let’s break up, Jungkook.”

She doesn’t even call him by her nickname for him. He worried that he had done something that made her mad at him. He wrecked his brains out to think if something bad happened between them, or if he had said something bad towards her. But nothing came up to him, things were very fine between the two of them these past days.

They were happily spending their time together often in places they’ve never been for, doing the things they’ve wanted to do. And every date they had, it was always fun and happily ended that they went on for more.

“Lisa, did I do something wrong? Or did I say something that you didn’t like? Come on, tell me. I’m sorry if ever there is… Lisa… Let’s talk about this… Please… Tell me… What’s the problem?” he desperately asked for he can’t accept the fact that she’s asking for a break up.

“I just don’t love you anymore…”

Hearing that, broke his heart immediately, everything that he built for them fell apart. His grip on his phone went tighter as he tried his best to hold back the tears that were about to fall from his eyes. He shook his head in denial.

“Andwae, Lisa you’re just saying that… Are you having one of those mood swings again? Okay, I understand, I’ll give you the time you need, okay? I’ll hung–” he tried to be positive but Lisa cut his words and realized that denying the reality to himself isn’t working.

“Jungkook, stop. Listen. I don’t love you anymore, alright? Sink that in your mind.”

And this time, he let all the tears he’s been keeping to fall non–stop. Her words cut through him like a sword, and at the same time wrecking his heart into pieces. He wiped his tears hastily and bravely answered, “Where are you right now? I’ll go to you, and I’ll let you say that to my face. Lisa, say that to me in person.”

“Too late, I’m leaving the country. Stop wasting your time anymore, and just leave me alone. Goodbye.”

Then the call ended. Jungkook stared at his phone in disbelief. Then remembering what she had said about leaving the country, he quickly ran to the waiting taxi outside the hotel and hastily hopped on it.

“Incheon Departure please,” he told the driver that started to drive eventually, “Ajhussi, please hurry up,” he told the driver impatiently that stepped on the gas as he sensed his passenger’s urgency. During the whole ride, he was praying that he’ll be able to catch her in the airport.

Good thing there was no traffic that they arrived in the airport in no time, he paid the driver quickly not even knowing the amount of his fare that he just gave the driver a big amount and left immediately not even caring for his change.

He quickly ran inside and went for the big screen where all the flights were shown. He scanned the list of flights, looking for the ones heading in Thailand. It was the first country he figured Lisa will be going for she had nothing else to go to but her hometown.

And once again, tears rolled down his cheeks seeing that all the flights scheduled to fly to Thailand already left Korea. He was too late… He can’t do anything about their relationship anymore… He can’t do anything to save it… He lost hope… He lost the girl that he dearly loves… She left him…

He turned his back from the screen and walked his way out of the airport with his head bowed and tears falling on his face.

Unknown to him, far from him, Lisa was watching his every move and crying with him…


The program was about to start that all the students were requested to settle themselves on the seats and tables they’ve chosen. Jennie and her friends have occupied a table in the middle part of the ballroom. She looked around and as they expected, most of the girls were wearing long gowns, and just a few were in short ones including the three of them.

She settled herself on the seat beside Jisoo where she could easily glance at the entrance of the ballroom, to see if Lisa or Taehyung has arrived. All of the students were already seated, their dates beside them, that Jennie glanced at Min Jae in question when he occupied the seat beside her.

She thought that he’ll be just occupying it for the time being until Taehyung arrived that she let him be. The MC of their program was already talking on the stage but her attention wasn’t there.

She looked at the entrance again and noticed that Jungkook walked away and headed for the entrance of the driveway. He probably didn’t hear from Taehyung that he wasn’t saying anything to her about him yet.

She looked at her phone that was on her hand, and checked if there was a message from him, but sighed in dismay when she found nothing. She just turned her attention on the stage again and saw that their principal was giving some opening remarks for the program.

An hour already passed since the program started, Taehyung wasn’t still there. Even Jungkook and Lisa weren’t with them yet. She thought that maybe Lisa and Jungkook were together and having some alone time that she didn’t mind them anymore and glanced at the entrance again.

A look of disappointment was again plastered on her face when she saw that no one entered the ballroom, she turned to Jisoo when she felt her squeezed her hand lightly, “Don’t worry, maybe he was just caught in a traffic, he’ll be here soon,“ Jisoo comforted that she returned with a small smile.

Another hour passed, and it was time for them to eat. Big food platters were being served to their tables, the foods looked very appetizing but Jennie doesn’t feel like enjoying it. She watched her friends as they started to eat and enjoy the food.

She even saw Rose and Jimin sweetly feeding each other, the same with her Jisoo unnie and Jin oppa. They were completely having a good time that she can’t help but to smile at them, yet her smile slowly disappears as time continued to pass and Taehyung wasn’t still there.

She just stared at the food on her plate that was filled by Min Jae, she have no appetite as hope slowly fades inside her. She sighed then turned to Min Jae, and decided to ask him one last time, “Are you sure he’s just late?” her tone hoping that Min Jae will say yes and assure her.

“Y–yeah,” Min Jae simply said then looked away from her and returned to the food, “Come on, just eat for now,” he kindly said, changing the topic.

Jennie couldn’t do anything but to nod and hold on to what he said. She took small bites of the foods that were served on her plate, and she didn’t get to finish it for she wasn’t really in the mood at all. Even the dessert, it turned out it was her favorite dessert, but she didn’t give a lot of attention to it either.

An hour or two passed again as they all finished eating and the MC was back on stage, she heard that it’s time for the Faces of the Night to be announced. And for once she finally felt excitement rushed through her when the MC called for Jisoo and Jimin’s names as they were chosen as the Faces of the Night, for female and male, respectively.

She, Rose, and Jin clapped in standing ovation when Jisoo and Jimin reached the stage and were crowned for their award, “What! I can’t believe Jimin was more handsome on the judges’ eyes,” she heard Jin joked making Rose laugh.

“Better luck next time, oppa,” Rose told Jin who just cheered loudly for Jisoo. They congratulated Jisoo and Jimin once they were back on their table. Then they heard the MC announced that it was time to party.

Jimin quickly pulled Rose to the dancefloor, while Jin did the same with Jisoo. And now she was left alone with Min Jae in their table. She glanced at him and saw that he had his hand held out to her asking for a dance but she doesn’t feel like it yet and politely declined, “Maybe later?” Min Jae asked that she just nodded.

Min Jae smiled then left her and went to his friends. Jennie went back to her seat and patiently waited for Taehyung again. She kept her watch on her friends that were dancing crazily with each other. She laughed lightly when she saw Jin was doing some awkward dance moves yet he claimed himself as a dance machine.

She glanced at the door again, and it just kept on disappointing her. Then suddenly, the music in the ballroom turned into a slow one that she saw Jimin and Rose, and Jisoo and Jin were now close with each other. She wished that Taehyung would be here by now so they could dance, like they did under the rain, again. But still, she was waiting…

10:30 pm…

11:45 pm…

12:20 am…

1:30 am…

Min Jae had asked her for a dance for about two to three times already, but she rejected all of that. And now he’s in front of her again, and probably asking her for a dance again. His face lit up when he saw her finally stood up but his face dropped in a split second when she walked away from him instead of taking his hand.

He was glued to his spot that when he glanced at Jennie again, she saw her already stepped outside of the ballroom. He ran to where she was and pulled her hand when he caught up to her, “Jennie, wait–”

“Why did you lie to me?” Jennie asked when she faced him, pulling her hand from his grip in the process.

Min Jae shoved her a confused look, “What? What are you talking about?” he asked.

“You told me he’s just running late but two hours, three hours, countless hours passed, and no Taehyung appeared!” Jennie exclaimed as she got tired of waiting, wondering, and hoping that Taehyung will arrive, “I held on to what you said, but turned out it wasn’t true at all.”

Min Jae sighed and calmly said, “Look, Jennie, yes I know he wasn’t–”

“You knew?” Jennie asked in disbelief, “H–how? You knew, and you didn’t even tell me?”

Min Jae gently held both of her hands and stepped closer to her, Jennie watched his every move in curiosity, “Jennie, I want to tell you something,” he said with his soft voice, and delightful smile on his face.

Jennie furrowed her eyebrows on his sudden change of tone and expression. She then gave him an apologetic look and gently pulled her hands from his grip as she already sensed what he was about to say and it made Min Jae’s hopeful expression dropped into despair.

He then sighed in defeat and plastered a bitter smile on his lips, “I didn’t win you over him,” he concluded.

“I’m sorry,” Jennie said sincerely then walked away from him, leaving him, leaving the party.

Min Jae sighed out in annoyance as he felt hurt and embarrassed, combing his hair with his fingers in frustration.