CHAPTER 37

FOUR

A week had passed since the incidents happened. And just a week away before their Graduation Day. Nothing much happened in that one week. Meaning, no progress was made in their current situations.

During the week, they were busy complying for the requirements they needed for their year–end commencement exercises. They were worried for Lisa not being able to march with them for she was currently in Thailand not able to pass all their requirements but when they went to the office to ask about that, they discovered that Lisa was secretly passing all the things needed in advance because her come back in Thailand was long planned and they were informed about it making Lisa to be excused for the rest of the school year.

Knowing that Lisa wouldn’t be coming back to march anymore, the three talked to each other about attending their graduation, they contemplated if they would still attend it too. They lost interest as one of them would be missing on that day. Their goal was to graduate at the same time, no one left behind, but now they figured that goal won’t be achieved anymore. Adding more rain to their already stormy states.

In that week, they just spent practicing for the graduation. No any sign of interaction with the boys were made. Even Rose and Jimin, the couple agreed with each other to stay and be with their friends unless there would be an improvement between their friends. They don’t hang out with each other that often unlike in the past, they figured it was more important to be with their friends especially now.

Although Jisoo and Jennie insisted that Rose should hang out with Jimin despite the situation, Rose still stayed by their side and never left them, same with Jimin. At school, whenever lunch time came, the girls would be having their lunch in the school’s mini garden, while the boys would still be in the cafeteria occupying their usual table.

There were times when they would be bumping into each other on the school’s hallway. Jennie would be greeting all the boys except for Taehyung, while Jin would just be greeting Jennie and Rose, leaving Jisoo behind. Just short greetings and after that no more. They would just pass by each other like they weren’t very close in the beginning.

Today, another Saturday came, Jisoo was in the kitchen preparing for their lunch while Rose arranged their dining table, and Jennie was in their living room, lazing around watching television. Some minutes later, Jisoo came out of the kitchen carrying their food. They occupied the seats and started eating.

It was another awfully quiet and dull lunch between the three of them. Rose would glance at her unnies secretly and sigh silently in dismay when their blank expressions didn’t change. Usually while eating, Jennie and Jisoo would be the bubbly ones, but now they were just eating like they have no other choice and not enjoying the food. And it bothered her.

She felt bad for them because of the situations that they were currently in, one of the reasons why she told Jimin that they should lie low with each other for now, and gladly Jimin agreed and understood her. She slowly put her spoon down and called for her unnies, “Unnies,” she said adding a bit of cheerfulness in her tone to lighten their mood.

Jennie and Jisoo glanced at her waiting for the next thing she would say, “Why don’t we go to the mall today?” she asked excitedly but her excitement slowly faded when she saw how they looked away and just continued on eating silently.

“Maybe next time Rose, I’m going to fix my application in SNU later,” Jisoo gently said, Rose just nodded in understanding then turned to Jennie.

“How ‘bout you, unnie? Let’s go shopping maybe? It’s been a long time since we did it,” Rose said with her bright smile but Jennie returned it with a faint smile and shook of her head.

“Sorry Rosie… I decided to… Do my laundry today,” after saying that, Jennie sadly looked down and avoided her friend’s eyes as she remembered that it was the same alibi Taehyung used just to not talk and avoid her that night.

Rose frowned, she knew her friends were still not in their best condition that’s why they were rejecting her and finding some excuses not to go out. She looked at her unnies sadly and wondered when would she see them smiling brightly and happily again. Then her mind wondered about Lisa. They haven’t talked to her again since their last phone call last week. They don’t even know when she would be married. She sighed at the thought, their once happy and carefree bond was now crumbling into pieces.

She sat down properly and shrugged the thoughts away putting a smile on her face, she figured that if her friends were this down she should be the one bringing them up again as long as she could, and she won’t give up on them, they were her sisters, “Oh, is that so unnies? Okay! We could always chill here in our house, it’s less tiring anyway,” she said with a happy tone making Jennie and Jisoo smile back at her.

The two were thankful that they have a friend like Rose – understanding, caring, loving, kind, and have a long patience while keeping up with their dramas. They hoped that she wouldn’t give up on them and get tired of dealing with their issues. But sometimes they felt bad as most of Rose’s attempts in cheering them up were always rejected by the both of them. They just couldn’t be happy, or at least try.

They finished eating their lunch and Rose volunteered in washing the dishes while Jennie cleaned the table. Jisoo thanked them and went upstairs to their bedroom to take a bath. Jennie and Rose started doing their works without a conversation being made. Not long after, they finished it at the same time Jisoo came back down with her laptop in her hands.

Jennie proceeded to their small washing area and started arranging the clothes she would be washing today. Jisoo went to the living room and settled herself on their carpet while placing her laptop on their center table opening it. Rose turned off the television and their speakers instead. She figured they would be quiet the whole day anyways that she just preferred to play some music for them.

I can be tough
I can be strong
but with you
it’s not like that at all

The music started and Jisoo found herself intently listening to it as the melody and the voice of the singer was soothing to the ears. She felt her head bobbing to the music as it slowly went upbeat but when it came to the pre–chorus part, she stopped her head from moving because she felt like the song just hit her.

And I remember all those crazy things you said
you left them running through my head

The lyrics of the song suddenly made her think about Jin. All the crazy things that he had told her suddenly flooded back to her mind making her smile sadly at the thought. From his crazy, corny jokes, random stories, to his nonsense statements that he just blabbered all of a sudden when they were together just for them to have a conversation. She remembered it all.

All those crazy things we did
didn’t think about it, just went with it

All the things and activities they did together also went flashing back to her mind. But the one that stood out the most was when they had their last date, the one they spent in an amusement park. She remembered Seokjin crazily screaming and yelling out of fear because of the extreme rides they have riden, crazily begging the heavens to stop all the misery he had been feeling because of the extreme rides. She wanted to laugh at the memory but the song wasn’t helping. It made her want to cry instead.

Damn, damn, damn, what I'd do to have you
here, here, here, I wish you were here
Damn, damn, damn, what I'd do to have you
near, near, near, I wish you were here

During the past week in their school, she tried many times to talk and be near with Jin again, but he would always run away and ignore her even though she was still a matter of steps away from him. He would always fasten up his pace so that she wouldn’t be able to reach him. Seeing that Jin loathed her so much, made her stop her plan on talking to him those days. She figured that he still needs time to cool down and hopefully after the right amount of time, he would listen to her. But she couldn’t help but wish that Jin would finally listen to her, she tried texting and calling him but no answer was received. And damn, she’s missing him big time.

Jisoo felt a trail of liquid flowing on her left cheek, she wiped it quickly and shrugged all the sad thought away from her mind, then turned to Rose who was lying down on the sofa behind her, “Rosie…” she called out with a small smile.

“Neh, unnie?” Rose quickly replied without tearing her gaze away from her phone.

“Would you mind changing the song?” Jisoo asked her kindly. She couldn’t handle the song anymore, it’s making her more emotional than she already is. And she’s getting tired of it leading her to her frustrations, and that’s what she was avoiding.

“Sure unnie,” Rose replied without hesitation still focused on her phone. Jisoo silently sighed in relief then returned her attention back to her laptop. Rose exited her game for a while and went to her song library, then carelessly tapped the next button that changed the music before returning to her game.

I'd like to say we gave it a try
I'd like to blame it all on life
Maybe we just weren't right
But that's a lie, that's a lie

Jennie felt her ears perked up when she heard the song that was playing as the volume was loud enough for her to hear it from where she was. It was one of her favorite songs, usually listening to her favored songs would comfort her but hearing it now, felt different.

She felt like the song fits perfectly to her current situation with Taehyung at the moment. She remembered when Taehyung confessed that he liked her, she felt happy yet hesitant because like she said if ever they got into a relationship there would never be peace for they always bicker with each other, even because of a smallest thing they would always fight about it. But despite all of that, she still chose to give them a try and she didn’t regret every single moment of it. But now, she thought that all of the effort she put on every try was all thrown into the wastes because of life being tough with them right now that it came to the point where she believed she wasn’t meant to love or be with Taehyung at all. But inside of her, she’s still denying it to herself and hoping someday, one day, she and Taehyung would have that chance again without anything or anyone getting in between them.

Cause sooner or later
We'll wonder why we gave up
The truth is everyone knows

She was in the middle of transferring the clothes into the washer carefully but she suddenly poured it all out in one go carelessly then dumped the basket down to the floor, combing her hair with a deep sigh. Hearing the words ‘gave up’ irritated her. She can’t still accept the fact that someone gave up on her just because of the happiness of the others. It hurt her to the core that the one who gave up on her was the person whom she put a lot of faith into but it was all wasted for that person let her go and gave her up just like that, without even spending a minute or even a second to fight for her.

But almost is never enough

And that simple phrase hit her big time. Considering the current state she was in, she have proven that almost was really not enough for her, for them. If two people shared the same feelings with each other, almost wasn’t and would never be truly enough.

Jennie sighed heavily, most times when she’s hearing this song it would relax her mind but now it was causing a riot in her mind. Other times she listened to it, she wasn’t giving a single damn to the lyrics it was saying. But now that she’s encountering something, she realized that the song was hitting her like a truck. It’s true that whenever you’re happy you just enjoy the song, but when you’re in a situation you wouldn’t wanted to be put in, you understand it.

Feeling that she was so done hearing it, she stormed out of the washing area and went to the living room seeing Jisoo focused on her laptop while Rose was comfortably lying back down on the sofa playing some games and humming softly to the music.

“Whoever’s in charge with the music, would you mind changing the song, please? Thank you,” Jennie said as calmly as she could making Rose and Jisoo stare at her with questioning looks, as if asking what’s wrong with the song and they knew it was one of her favorites.

Seeing that they were just staring at her, Jennie sighed, and repeated, “Guys, please?” she asked while crossing her arms in front of her. This made Jisoo and Rose blink rapidly. Jisoo went back to her laptop, indicating that it wasn’t her who was in charge of the music that made Jennie turn to Rose who was now hastily scrolling to her song library.

“What’s with them today being picky with the songs?” Rose mumbled to herself while scrolling through her library. She was now being careful on picking what next song to play. Then her eyes lit up when she found a song that her unnies would definitely enjoy. She quickly tapped it then footsteps were heard and a laugh from the speakers.

Rose energetically stood up from the sofa then gripped her phone tightly, placing it below , “Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want!”

Then Jisoo beamed in standing beside her, “So tell me what you want, what you really really want!”

They then looked at Jennie who barged in, “I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want!”

“So tell me what you want, what you really really want, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ha~!”

All three of them sang together like they were in a karaoke and Rose couldn’t be any happier seeing her unnies somehow had loosened up and her choice of song didn’t fail her!