CHAPTER 35

FOUR

When he sensed that their house was quiet enough, and only the sound from the television could be heard, Taehyung walked out of the bathroom wearing his bathrobe. He quickly went upstairs and just dressed himself in a simple white shirt and track pants.

He went back to their living room, and turned off their television then went for their speakers and connected his phone listening to some music. After that, he turned around and faced their messy living room. He sighed seeing the mess that his three friends caused by just styling their hairs and outfits.

He started cleaning their living room, adjusting their sofa that was slightly moved out of its place, probably when they were all checking themselves in the mirror at the same time, picking up the pockets of empty hair gels, and throwing Jungkook’s unused tie to their laundry basket.

Obviously, he doesn’t have any plans on going to their Graduation Ball tonight. He knew what he was doing would make his friends wonder, and most especially hurt Jennie. What he was doing was making her wait for nothing, like he just stood her up on their date. Although, he made sure she wouldn’t be going there dateless, he still felt bad for in the first place it was him who she asked for, not his brother.

Taehyung stopped in cleaning for a while, and sighed. He was getting more and more annoyed at himself because of what he was doing right now. But what can he do, Min Jae became cruel and left him with no choice but to do what he says.

His mind went back to the time when Jennie called him just to ask him to be her date on this tonight’s event. He was actually going to say no but once he heard her cheerful voice that was also full of hope, he can’t do it. He can’t break her right there and then. He’ll leave her confused and asking herself what she did wrong for him to reject her, and that was the last thing he wanted to happen. But today, he realized that no matter how hard he tried to avoid hurting her, he’ll always end up causing her pain, and maybe even breaking her.

“Aish…” he messed up his already messy hair in frustration. He shook his head repeatedly trying to get those thoughts away out of his mind, “What’s done is done,” he said trying to comfort himself. Then he smiled bitterly as he just told himself that what he had done today, would make Min Jae, his brother, happy. Because he got the chance that he’s been wanting to have with the girl that he likes.

“Right… Taehyung… You did right,” he told himself while looking at himself on their full length mirror that was previously occupied with his three friends that were excited for their party. He smiled as he remembered their glowing faces from excitement, then his smile slowly faded as a thought came to his mind – Jennie… Surely she’s excited for this event too, excited for him to see her for she assured him that she’ll dress like he wanted even though he insisted that a simple one was fine.     

He sadly smiled as he envied Min Jae for having a beautiful date tonight. Though he can’t see her right now, he’s sure in himself that she’s looking great and wonderful. Oh, how he wished he would be able to see her tonight. An idea came to him, he’ll go to their venue and make himself hidden from all the other guests there that might recognize him then when he finally got a sight of Jennie, even just a quick glimpse, he’ll then leave and go home after that.

But he shrugged the idea away as he thought doing that would just probably cause more ruckus between him and his brother. He patted his own head trying to distract himself, “Stop thinking,” he told himself again then forced a smile, ”Cleaning! Let’s clean the entire house! Cleaning is great! Kaja~!” he cheerfully told himself then went to their cabinet full of cleaning materials.

He took the broom, the mop, the window wiper, and some other materials that he might be using later. He started sweeping their tiled floor, vacuum cleaned the carpet in their living room, mopped the floor in their kitchen, wiped all of their windows, he even rearranged their sofas in the living room to give off some new ambiance.

He dusted his hands off when he finished everything he was doing, he looked around and smiled proudly at himself, “You did great bud,” he said patting himself on his back.

He looked up to their wall clock and saw that it was already 9:00 in the evening, he bowed his head in dismay again as he remembered the program of their party was surely starting now, all of the students seating with their dates beside them, and he wasn’t the one who was seating beside Jennie.

He sighed for the nth time that night and looked around their house again admiring his hard work, he was actually thinking of what he would do next, then his eyes landed on their half empty laundry basket. He smiled as he walked towards it and was glad that he still have other things left to do for him to be distracted.

“We watched the sunset over the castle on the hill…” he jammed to Ed Sheeran’s Castle on the Hill that was currently booming on the speakers while throwing all of their dirty clothes into the washing machine. After dragging the clothes, he put a good amount of the fabric soap then pressed some buttons that made their washing machine started doing its work.

He stepped out of their small washing area and glanced at the clock again, 10:27 pm…

They were probably eating or partying by now, Taehyung thought. Then a pang of jealousy and regret hit him as an image of Min Jae and Jennie slow dancing flashed in his mind. He rapidly closed his eyes erasing the image away. He shook his head trying to remove his mind from the thought then as if on cue, his stomach let out a sound of protest.

He looked down to it and pat it lightly, “Right, dinner. How could I forget dinner,” he then walked his way straight to their kitchen and opened their fridge, he looked around it to find something that was already cooked and ready to eat. But he frowned, when he found nothing, “I should’ve told Jin hyung I’ll be left here,” he said in regret while pouting like a kid, he doesn’t know how to cook that whenever the boys would be leaving with him being left behind, Jin would always make sure that he left him cooked food for him to eat.

He closed their fridge sadly then went to open all their cupboards for canned goods or any processed food. Then his face lit up when he found a cup of rameyon comfortably resting in one of their cabinets. He took it and opened it quickly as he turned their electric kettle for hot water.

Minutes later, the water was boiled that he poured the right amount on his ramyeon and waited patiently until it was ready. After three minutes, he opened the lid of the cup and started eating his dinner, he knew this wasn’t enough for his big appetite but he doesn’t have any choice but to wait for his friends until they come home for some real food.

“I should’ve made time to learn cooking,” he mumbled as he slurped on his noodles. Then he heard the alarm of their washing machine indicating that their laundry was already done, just right in time for his last bite of his food.

Three hours later, he finally decided to get up from their couch and tend to their laundry, for he was busy playing Overwatch for those whole hours. He grabbed the empty basket for their clean clothes on the way. He opened the washing machine to grab their clothes. He was in the middle of transferring their washed clothes into the basket when he heard their doorbell rang.

He went out of their washing area and glanced at the clock to see what time it was and they still have visitors. He didn’t suspect that it might be his friends for they don’t use the doorbell anyway.  

“What, two thirty in the morning and a visitor?” he said in wide eyes of disbelief when he saw the time in their wall clock. He turned around and headed for the door, he went outside to open the gate not minding that he was still carrying their laundry basket.

Taehyung lazily opened their gate, he lifted his head up to see who dared to ring their doorbell so early in the morning, but his eyes went wide when he saw who was standing in front of him at that moment, “Jennie…”

Jennie stared at Taehyung’s eyes and a forced smile, “Taehyung… Can I come in?”

Taehyung was rooted on his spot. He was stunned to see Jennie standing in front of him right now. He thought we won’t be able to see her tonight but he was really surprised that he got the chance to take a glimpse of what she looked like, he felt like smiling proudly as he saw that he wasn’t wrong about her, she looked really beautiful and glamorous as he expected. Her dress had all the details that he told her. She looked great, stunning, perfect…

Jennie watched as Taehyung scanned her appearance, she wanted to smile and boast to him that as she expected, he was drooling over her once he sees her tonight, but she wasn’t in the mood to play games anymore…

Taehyung blinked rapidly and widened the opening of their gate, giving her some way, “O–of course,” he replied then went on the of the gate as Jennie entered then closed it again and walked towards Jennie who was just standing a few meters away from him not even minding to go straightly inside their house.

“Jennie, why are you here? Was the ball already over? How was it?” he asked when he faced her trying his best to sound and look as fine as possible.

“Why didn’t you come?” Jennie asked ignoring all his questions. Taehyung examined her face, he can’t pinpoint her expression right now, he wasn’t sure which one of these was she feeling – tiredness, sadness, anger, irritation – he doesn’t know. Jennie wasn’t easy to read right now.

“Ah, I was busy… doing something,” he answered forcing a smile.

Upon hearing that, Jennie glanced at his left hand where he was holding a laundry basket then back to his eyes, “Doing the laundry I see…” she felt like crying.

Taehyung looked at the basket he was holding and slightly hid it behind him and let out a forced laugh, “Haha, why were you here though, by the way? Is there a problem?” he asked.

Jennie swallowed the lump on , “Is there? Do we have a problem, Taehyung?”

“Jennie, it’s already late. Why don’t you go home already? The girls might’ve been worrying about you,” he answered as he looked around their surroundings but Jennie’s eyes then went to their mini garage where they also hang their freshly washed clothes.

Jennie followed where Taehyung went and stood beside him, and forced a smile, “Aren’t you even gonna walk me home?” she hoped Taehyung will somehow say yes but her world crushed when she heard his answer.

“Jennie, you’re already old enough to be on your own,” he said in a slightly playful tone to somehow lighten up the atmosphere surrounding them, “Besides, I still have a laundry to finish, we’re running out of clothes,” he joked, making a smile but it quickly faded once he looked away from her and turned his attention on hanging the clothes instead.

Jennie took a sharp breath as she held back her sobs, “Min Jae… Being my date tonight instead of you… Got something to do with this… Right?” she finally asked, she’s done taking all the detours.

Realizing that Jennie had it all figured out, Taehyung stopped pretending to be busy and fully faced her now that he quickly wished he hadn’t for he hated seeing Jennie’s sad about to break into tears expression. He mostly hated it now for it was caused by him.

He sighed, “Jennie, my brother likes you–”

“I know. But Taehyung, you’re the one I like,” she finally confessed, it’s now or never for her, “Didn’t you say you like me too?” she added, her voice slowly breaking.

Taehyung felt like celebrating when he finally heard what he wanted to hear from Jennie since the day he confessed to her, but realizing the situation they were currently in, he disposed of the whole idea.

Taehyung sighed and smiled sadly, “Yes, I did. So much that if only I could marry you right now, I would. But–”

“But you can’t only think about yourself,” Jennie cut him off as she voiced out what she had been hiding inside this whole time, her voice completely breaking, “This isn’t only about what you like, and what you have decided to do… I understand that you really love and care for your brother so much… Geunde… Taehyung–ah… Won’t you consider my feelings too?” tears fell from her eyes.

Taehyung broke inside seeing her cry because of him. He wanted to wipe all those tears away from her lovely face but he held himself back for he was afraid that once he got a hold of her, he wasn’t never going to let go.

“You held me up so high, Taehyung… Too high actually…” she paused and wiped her tears but it was easily replaced with more tears coming, “But you left me hanging…” she sobbed. Taehyung couldn’t do anything but to look at her.

“And it’s not easy… Because it’s your brother I’m against with… And obviously… You chose him, but I understand… But please, don’t do that again, okay? Holding me up that high then going to leave me moments later…” she said with a sad smile as tears continued to roll down her cheeks.

“Don’t make me believe that you love me when you can’t even fight for me… Because it hurts… It strikes through here Taehyung,” she pointed at her left chest, “I held onto you so tightly expecting that you were doing just the same but I figured I’m the only one who was holding on because you already let go before I even knew it,” she spat out in disappointment.

Taehyung ran his hand through his hair and looked up as he tried to stop the tears that were about to fall from his eyes, he placed his hands on his waist and took deep breaths. He looked back at Jennie who was sobbing uncontrollably, he bit his lower lip to prevent himself from crying with her, but it was the exact thing he wanted to do right now.  

Taehyung couldn’t hold himself back anymore that he held her by her arms, “Jennie…” but before he could even tighten his hold, Jennie grabbed his hands stopping him from holding her.

“No, stop…” she said making Taehyung take a step backwards feeling dejected as Jennie rejected his comfort. Jennie wiped her face with her hands and looked back at him, “You were the one who taught me that even if the hardest time of my life came to me, I have to be strong and endure it,” she smiled, “So… You don’t have to worry yourself, because… I can handle this… You taught me well…” she smiled once more despite the tears then turned her back from him, walking away, leaving him.

Taehyung followed her as an attempt to stop her and explain everything, he suddenly stopped when Jennie faced him again, “All the time that I have been with you, I’ve always known that you care for the people around you more than yourself, I love that about you, yes, but Taehyung, when will you ever think of yourself even just for once?” she said in hopes of knocking some self–love into his system.

Jennie completely turned her back from him and went for the gate. Taehyung was glued to his spot, and the next thing he heard was the sound of their gate being closed.

He puffed out a deep sigh as tears started to pour like a waterfall on his cheeks. He felt angrier at himself for Jennie cried that hard because of him, he swore in his life that he wouldn’t cause pain in her, but what’s happening now was the complete opposite.

What even raised his anger more was he just realized now that his trait that he thought was pleasing, which was caring for others very much, was also his flaw at the same time, for it sometimes hurt other people, like now.

He thought that the decision he made was for the best… But now he realized… It was the worst decision he had ever made...