Karma

Around the Campfire

"Campers! It's time for the new project!"

We all wake up and go outside the cabin. What on earth could this man want at 3 AM?! Gabe stands in front of the campfire that seems to be too tall the flames are dangerously close to the cabin. I notice that there is Youngbae, Seungri, and Daesung in the group. Hong Ki and Seung Hyun are beside Gabe wearing what looks like black robes. I could not see their faces but I can tell it's them by their hair color glowing in the fire light. I guess our project is to be part of an occult ritual. 

Gabe mutters something that I could not understand in any way. He raises his arms and Daesung and Seungri fall onto the ground seizing. Growing scared I back up.

"Y-You're all freaks!"

The flames grew bigger in size and started to turn blue. The heat became so intense that I can feel it from the 10 feet distance from the pit. Daesung and Seungri stand. Their eyes are pure black. 

I slap Daesung's cheek. 

"Daesung! Man wake up!"

Daesung slaps me back before holding my forearm in a tight grip. The horrendous sound of thunder turns my attention to the sky noticing the bright red clouds growing in the air some turning black. I shake my head in disbelief closing my eyes tight. There is no way that this can be real. 

"TO TORTURE WITH YOU!"

Gabe bursts out hailing Seungri and Daesung to bring me foreward. I try all attempts to wiggle free but fail. I try screaming but no sound will come out of my mouth. I was taken to a tree and tied. Gabe points to me then Seung Hyun and Hong Ki walk slowly toward me. They carry wooden bats. 

"Feel what we felt! Feel what we felt! Feel what we felt!"

Paralyzed with fear the flames of the fire grow more gradually getting closer to me. The grass lights up burning under the heat. I try to wiggle under the restraint hopelessly trying to find a way out. I scream in agony feeling the extreme heat burning my shoes. 

"HELP ME!"

Seung Hyun stands beside the flame and takes off his hood revealing his beat up face. 

"Look what you did to me!"

I bust out in fearful tears still wiggling under the rope. Hong Ki holds out a jerry can I'm assuming it's filled with gasoline. I wail screams of fear. 

"I'm sorry! Please help me!"

He looks at me his eyes growing black he takes the jerry can out of Hong Ki's hand. He tips the gasoline into the flames.

"See you in Hell."

 

I immediately shoot up in my bed. My tearing eyes snap open. I can feel my legs burning and my waist restricted.

"HELP ME!"

I take sharp breaths in panic. I notice that the cabin is vacant. Gabe and the others are gone. Am I alone? Are they doing something or planning to tie me to a tree? In the midst of my anxiety attack I let out a panicking yelp that made birds fly out from the tree tops. I am trying to process what I saw and understand that it was a bad dream, but as ridiculous as it might sound the dream felt so real. I felt the heat of the flames. If I didn't know better I'd think the bunk was on fire.

I hear the door pop open and loud footsteps. Luna comes in rushing to my side. 

"Ji Yong? Are you okay? What happened? Are you crying?"

My panting slows and I look away from her my cheeks turning red. I'm so embarrassed. I am crying like a damn wimp. What am I? Dorky Seung Hyun? I wipe the remaining tears in my eyes.

"I'm alright I just got scared. I saw Gabe in a one piece bathing suit. It's worse than a horror movie I swear. It brings the bravest person to tears."

She smiles squeezing her lips together trying not to laugh. She takes a breath.

"Well that is an image I can never unsee thank you. It looks like to me that you had a bad dream. The others are at announcements and morning meeting. Them, including me, all tried so hard to wake you but for some reason  you wouldn't. You were out like a light. I was outside on the patio writing when you let out your war cry."

I look down growing more embarrassed. She tilts my head up by pressing on the bottom of my chin.

"You have nothing to be ashamed about Ji Yong. Everyone has bad dreams it's normal. What I do if I have a bad dream is that I sip some water and talk to someone about it."

She hands me my water bottle and sits beside me. 

"Water, check. Someone to talk to, check. Now spill the beans kid."

I wipe my eyes on my fleece blanket then take a sip of water.

"My cabin team and Gabe were in an occult ritual. They were speaking a language that the devil would be the only one to translate. I was tied to a tree. The fire pit fire grew enormous they were going to burn me. Seung Hyun's face was beat up. Hong Ki gave him gasoline and poured it in the flames saying See you in Hell. It sounds crazy but it felt so realistic. It scared me so much. I woke up I felt like I was on fire."

From there I was expecting one of two reactions from Luna: She was either going to laugh hysterically calling me insane or she was going to leave to call an exorcist. 

Instead of those two predictions she caught me off guard by grasping my hand into hers. I look down at her hand. She rubs my knuckle with her silver sparkly thumb.

Damn It here comes the butterflies... I gulp.

"Yeah... it's crazy I know. Forget I said any-"

"Ji Yong... I know how that is. You had a nightmare and it feels so vivid. It's quite okay you are not crazy. I'll try to interpret your dream. I think it means that the quote "occult" is you conscious telling you that you need to be nicer to the ones around you. You're afraid that Seung Hyun and Hong Ki are going to turn the tables and come after you. What I think is the right solution is to try to make nice. The burning you probably felt is because you woke up too fast and your brain is trying to realize the flames as fantasy."

Ew. Nice. My idea of being nice is pressing my thumb over the spout of a in use drinking fountain. I shrug.

"I-I guess. Thanks Luna."

She gives me a smile patting my shoulder.

"There he is. I'll leave so you can get dressed and I will take you down to the cafeteria."

The moment she leaves I get up getting on a pair of jeans, my favorite homer Simpson t shirt, DC hoodie, and my sneakers. I comb my hair coming out onto the patio. I follow her to the cafeteria. We go in to see our table full everyone is waiting for breakfast. Gabe greets me.

"Hey! Look who finally woke up and joined us!"

I smile a tiny bit but to only receive half hearted waves and daggers from Hong Ki. 

I swear Hong Ki... keep your crap up...

I usually sit next to Seungri but to change this up a bit I sit next to Seung Hyun, who refused to look at me. It' almost like he's avoiding me. I am so confused. A little late to finally get a hint ain't it dork? Phyllis came out with a cart and served the breakfast food platters. She sees me and gives me a tight hug around my shoulders.

"SPRINKLES! I've missed you!"

Just like that the whole table went quiet. It was so quiet that you can hear a pin drop.

Oh My God. Kill me. Put me out of my misery. Send me to hell. I slump down in my seat my face is a red as a fire engine. I see a few of the team Purple guys looking at me and laughing. Damn you Phyllis. Even Gabe is shook trying not to laugh at my lame nickname.

 Gabe snaps his fingers getting everyone's attention. 

"Guys let's not pay attention to that name. It's special. Let's eat breakfast."

I really wanted to die right there. I pull up my hood slowly ate my french toast avoiding any eye contact. I can hear team Purple laughing hearty at my nickname saying Sprinkles in a variety of toned voices. After breakfast I told Gabe that I wanted to help Phyllis. He agrees then says to meet him at the baseball diamond. I walk in the double doors. Phyllis smiles at me.

"Hey Sprinkles are you here to-"

"Why did you embarrass me like that?!"

She jumps nearly dropping the stack of plates she held in her hands. 

"I'm sorry if I embarrassed you. I was just calling you by the nickname I gave you."

My face turns red. I kick the double door.

"Damn it you demented old hag quit calling me that! My name is Ji Yong! Not SPRINKLES! Get it right! Oh my God no wonder your son is in jail!"

She gasps quietly. I stopped when I realized what I had just said to this poor woman. Once again my anger got the best of me. I hold my arms out to her.

"Phyllis I'm so sorry I didn't mean-"

"Ji Yong please just leave. I don't need your help today, tomorrow, next week, or ever. This demented old hag can handle the duties by herself."

I hear the double doors by the stove open and out comes this tall older gentleman carrying a cane. She hugs him immediately crying into his chest. My heart sinks. I feel absolutely awful. To avoid having my head roll I left. I walk into the baseball diamond picking up a glove. I join Seungri in the catcher's field. Hong Ki hits the ball I catch it immediately sending him out. Gabe waves to me.

"Ji yong be pitcher for me and Seung Hyun can be bat. I have to use the restroom."

I stand at the plate as Gabe does his weird girlish jog toward the restrooms. After a moment of almost losing my lunch I pitch the ball at Seung Hyun. He missed.

"Strike One!"

I pitch a bit slower to him he missed again. It's like he's watching the ball fly by him. I feel my blood boil. No more Mr. Nice Guy.

"STRIKE TWO! COME ON YOU DORK! OPEN YOUR EYES AND SWING!"

I throw the ball hard. He actually hit it. He hit it so hard he accidentally let go of the metal bat. He hit it pretty hard suddenly I felt a sharp pain hit my head making me fall back. I groan in agony. 

"Son of a..."

The words I said following were enough to make a sailor blush. I see five faces looking down at me.

"Seung Hyun you hit him."

"I didn't mean it!"

"Oh my God he's bleeding! Go get Gabe."

Three faces left to go get help and to find Gabe. Hong Ki maniacally smirks at me. Seug Hyun has expression of concern.

"Oh karma tastes so good Sprinkles. Seung Hyun and I are savoring it."

He leaves laughing. Seung Hyun seems the be the only one worried. My eyes grow heavy. I feel my head actually pulsating. 

"I am so sorry. Please stay awake."

I close my eyes. The last thing I hear is the sound of Gabe barking out instructions to get first aid and the last thing I remember seeing in my mind is Hong Ki's grin. 

This Karma hurts.