Promises

Around the Campfire

I woke up for a reason that is beyond me. Isat up in my bunk. I check the time: 3:05AM. Why did I get up so early? I groan quietly to myself when many attempts to fall back to sleep had failed. I can hear Seung Hyun under me snoring away. I hear the door open, out of instinct I hid under my blanket. I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Ji Yong... Are you awake?"

I peek out seeing that it was only Gabe. He looks like he is wide awake too. I sit up.

"Do you want to go outside for a bit? We can talk for a little while if you want?"

I nod, slowly and quietly getting out of my bunk. I slip my shoes on and follow Gabe outside to the fire pit. He gets a small campfire going. He reaches in his bag and pulls out a couple bottles of soda.

"Soda?"

I nod, thanking him, and sipping the carbonated drink. It just came to me: where did he get the time to buy soda? I look at him kinda confused.

"Where'd you get these?"

He smiles to himself.

"Being a family member of the camp owner has it's advantages, including going out to the 24 hour convenience store that's a half mile away and buying tons of soda at 3AM. Anyway, I just wanted to talk for a bit. Are you excited to be going home next week?"

I shake my head. He gives me a surprised look.

"Whaa? That's the first time I've had a camper tell me no to that question."

I shrug.

"I don't know Gabe... this is the first time I have had this much fun. I've made a ton of friends. I want to go home but I don't want to leave. I'm not sure if I am coming back for snow camp and next year's summer because my Mom needs a ton of help at home but if I could stay forever I could."

Gabe smiles and pats my back.

"Well your mom already said you can come back you don't have to worry about that."

At first I just nod but then did a double take when I processed what he had just said. 

"When did you speak to my Mom?"

He smiles.

"Remember when I said I had a date last night? I went on a date with your Mom. She's an outstanding and funny woman. All she'd talk about was you and your sister. There's no doubt in my mind to know that she is very proud of you and she had absolutely no hesitation to let you come back here."

I look at him in complete shock. I am elated that he is dating my Mom but I will be waiting for that ugly wrong turn. It might be because of that man that I used to call my father, but I do not expect anything good anymore. He may be nice now, but who knows what personality is under that mask? I do know one thing though, is that he is in for a whole bunch of pain if he makes my Mom or my sister cry. 

I shake my head. He tightens his lips.

"Are you mad at me Ji Yong?"

I shake my head.

"No I'm not mad. I think this is just a past fear and I'm over thinking you. I am starting to adjust, but I'm serious about this, just so you know that my Mom and my sister are my world and if anything happens to them I'll be a monster you will wish you never met." 

He pats my shoulder. 

"I actually understand where you're coming from. I'm serious too, I want you to have no worries about us Ji Yong. I promise you that I will not be that gruesome monster that your father is. I'm in love and I have absolutely no intentions on hurting your mom, you, or sister."

I nod.

"I'm holding that against you Gabe."

He puts the fire out and turns the flashlight.

"Well buddy that was a nice talk I think we better sleep for a bit more."

I agree and walk in behind him. After saying goodnight to Gabe, I lay down in my bunk. I stare at the ceiling thinking about my Mom and Gabe. I guess I am over thinking things. Not once had Gabe lost his temper with any of us even when we were at each other's throats. He's a nice guy but I hope my instincts are wrong. I want nothing but happiness for my Mom and baby sister, no matter what the cost is.