Date Night

Around the Campfire

"Ji Yong... Please listen to me..."

Janie tries to move my pillow that I had slammed over the side of my head. I press down harder. I did not want to talk to anyone. Poor Phyllis is in the hospital because of me. I made her laugh so much it caused a heart attack. Since the ambulance left I've been laying in my bunk, completely silent and ignoring everyone including Seung Hyun. 

Quiet Hour had ended about 35 minutes ago, Gabe tries multiple times to get me to tag along with them to the next activity. I flat out told him that I would rather lay in bed all day than to watch a tiny car go in a circle. He calls Janie to the cabin before leaving with the others. I'm honestly ready to skip the date tonight I didn't care about it anymore. 

After a few minutes she sighs and sits on the edge of my bunk allowing her legs to dangle off the edge.

"Ji Yong... I know you're upset because you are under the assumption you caused Phyllis's heart attack, but I came here to tell you that you did not do anything wrong."

I slam my pillow and glare at her filled with sadness and a bit of anger. 

"Janie... I made her laugh so much that her heart couldn't take it and she had a heart attack... it's all my fault!"

I cover my face with my hands. She leans in close to my ear. 

"No... Listen closely... You need to understand that she has a heart condition that is very common. I got a call from the hospital just as I was coming down here and they said she's in stable condition now. She might need an operation in the near future to help her heart along with new medication. The medicine she was taking before wasn't working anymore."

I uncover my face.

"She had a feeling that it was coming but she brushed it off as nothing... she doesn't want you to worry about her and to have fun for the remaining week. I will keep you posted until you go home then you can visit her whenever you want once you leave."

I nod slowly, starting to grip onto what Janie is telling me. I really shouldn't shove the blame onto myself and I do it out of habit. I sit up in my bunk allowing her to climb down. She looks at her watch.

"Well unfortunately the go kart race is over, but we can see who won before moving onto the next activity."

We walk to the track and we see Seungri, Youngbae, and Daesung holding a trophy and Seung Hyun and Hong Ki are sitting on the kart talking. I sprint toward our kart.

"What happened?"

Hong Ki shrugs.

"The tire blew at the last second and the kart slowed down to a crawl." Seung Hyun explained.

"It's just a silly race it's not a biggie... they won fair and square." Hong Ki adds.

Gabe claps his hands to get our attention. 

"Campers! We're going to the main hall to start a craft that will finish out out remaining week. It's called Pottery."

He pulls a extra large unlabeled paint bucket and removes the lid revealing about 40 pounds of brown clay.

"This is Pottery clay. We have until the second of the final night to make a freestyle pottery piece. It could be: a bowl, plate, vase, cup, teapot... It's up to you the sky is the limit. When the clay hardens we'll paint it and put it in the furnace it'll be ready to take home on your last night. Today we will get started on racking our brains and thinking about what we will create and start modeling. Everyone come up for a smock and canvas. I'll scoop out clay for everyone."

One by one we each got smocks on and Gabe hands us a giant scoop of clay on a canvas covering a slab of wood. After I sit at the table I study the lump of clay. There is something about the color and texture that I do not like. I poke it with my index finger and cringe. It's just too gross and sticky.

"Nope."

Seung Hyun looks at me.

"What's wrong Ji?"

I shrug and shove the clay away.

"I'm not doing this. It's badly reminding me of giant  poop."

Seung Hyun only laughs as I cringe harder at the lump of clay that sits a foot away. He does the unexpected when he grabs my hand and pushes it in the lump of clay. My jaw drops.

"S-Seung Hyun you did not..."

He giggles.

"It's not that bad Ji, just start molding it into something. The texture will improve."

I stare at my hand that is sunk into the sticky substance. I shiver freeing my hand.

"I'm gonna be sick..."

I am preparing to wash my hands and find something to do that does not involve sticky poop-like substances. Gabe sneaks behind me and chimes in his solution. I jump.

"Mr. Kwon lets get this clay unsticky for you it'll make this project less of a hassle."

He works his and my hands into the clay kneading it and working it into the canvas eventually I have a non sticky lump of poop in front of me. I'm more nauseous than ever.

"See? That wasn't too terrible. Get cooking with creating something gorgeous. You can make something that'll make Picasso jelly."

I'm done...

Eventually I did convince myself to start something after I did a lot of thinking. I remember something that my Mom has in her display case a long with her many athletic trophies and diplomas. She has a pinch pot she made when she was a kid. It's small but is painted pink. I think I'll create something similar: possibly a bit bigger, a lighter pink in color, I'll engrave our names into it, and then add small pink flowers and the date Mary Kate is born. She'll love it.

We were short on time, I only got the base done before it was time to load up in the cafeteria for dinner and the movie. We stood in line waiting for our spaghetti and meatballs. I sigh thinking about Phyllis again. I miss her badly and though it wasn't my fault, I feel so bad for her. 

I finish eating just in time to tell Gabe that I am going outside to talk to Bella. Of course he doesn't really care as long as we were staying out of trouble. I walk outside.

"Hi Ji Yong." She greets me with a smile and embrace.

I follow her to a fort looking thing beside her cabin. It's made of four bed sheets. Inside she has a blanket covered mattress on the ground, snacks of all kinds, and string lights all around. It's so cute.

"Wow Bell, nice job, did you build it yourself?"

She nods.

"Yeah it actually took four hours to build. Mack kept demolishing it."

She eats some popcorn as we talk about school and the camp. This is the most I've seen her happy. She clears .

"There's a question... I've been meaning to ask you?"

I look at her.

"What is it?"

She nervously laughs and rubs the back of her neck.

"Um... It's stupid actually... How I feel... I've never felt it this strong before to be honest with you Ji Yong... but... I kinda like you."

I smile.

"What do you mean? Do you mean like as friends? Or like-like, as in a bit more than friends? Or LIKE-Like-Like, as if you mean going at it like the hard core mating squirrels I saw earlier?"

I bust out laughing when she blushes and slaps my arms repeatedly yelling No. She covers her eyes, I pat her back.

"I'm only joking Bella I know what you mean."

She sighs.

"I don't know what it is about you, but, I feel safe around you. Ever since High School, when you knocked those kids out when they were bullying me. I feel like you're here to protect me and I am thankful more than anything for you. I know this is our second time out, but, I want to be with you."

My heart hit my stomach. SHE WANTS TO DATE ME. I've felt the same way about her for so long I had to take a moment to process what she said and if it is real. She is tearing up, immediately apologizing to me, but I press my hand on her cheek.

"Of course. I'm here for you. Always."

She instantly embraces me, crying tears of joy, I hug her back feeling the most happiness I've ever felt. This moment that's been a fantasy scenario in my head is finally a reality. I give her a small kiss on the head. We talk more until I hear Gabe's voice calling for me. 

We walk out of our little fort and say goodnight before heading to our own groups. I sprint towards the others. We walk back to our cabins. As Gabe was outside talking to Janie, I got flooded with questions, and being asked for solid details about our date. I simply told them I have a girlfriend and I got cheers in response. 

Lights out I got up in my bunk and lay down on my back. I'm still in slight disbelief that I am now dating my long time crush. I am one of the happiest guys on earth. Though Phyllis's heart attack set me back so far that I was going to miss out on this wondrous opportunity... This day turned out perfect.