Camp or Detention?

Around the Campfire

I open the front double door to the school. It's Monday Morning our last day before summer break. I'm actually looking for someone. 

I had given money to a freshman and he has yet to pay me back like he promised a few months ago. My patience is thin. As soon as I spotted him he took one look at me and booked it down the hall. I took no hesitation into chasing him. I grasped onto his hood pulling him back making him drop his books. 

I lifted him his feet dangled a few inches from the floor running in place nonstop.

"Hwan Dae-Soo you're just the person I wanted to see. What goes on? Why are you running from me like a mouse from a cat? Hmm?"

He whines still trying to run. I grasp onto his shirt and pushed him against the wall holding him still by his neck. 

"So... it's been a few months since I loaned you the money. You'd say it back a month ago. Where is it? I don't like waiting."

He squirms under my grip.

"I'm sorry I don't have it!"

I pick him up now by his arm and hold him upside down above the trashcan. He squeals and cries begging me to let him down and to give him another chance. I stop and set him down roughly watching him crawl on the floor hurrying to pick up his books. 

"You got until tomorrow!" 

He runs off. I grab my bag off the corner and continue to walk to my class when I felt a rough tap on my shoulder. 

"Kwon Ji Yong to my office right now!" 

Oh God. It was the principal. I am honestly not afraid of this man. He is no taller than 5"6 nobody can take him seriously. I know the drill by now. I walk ahead of him to the office giving a wave to the secretary as I pass before sitting in the wooden chair across from the desk. The principal walks in and sits at his desk.

"Don't walk ahead of me again."

I shrug balancing a random pencil between my fingers. He takes the pencil and slams it on the desk.

"Geez easy Godzilla."

"Ji Yong I've had six kids tell me that you're bullying Dae-Soo. How many times have I told you not to do that?"

"I lost count at 20."

The principal sighs and shakes his head. 

"Ji Yong I've had it up to here with your behavior."

He hovers his hand level with his forehead. I smile and laugh making him madder.

"What on earth is so funny?!"

"If you were taller you'd have more patience."

He grips onto the end of his desk in anger. I only continue to laugh. I have no idea why but when he's mad it's hysterical.

"I am done with you Ji Yong. Detention does nothing and I have yet to give you suspension."

"Aye sweet a day off."

He shakes his head.

"I'm glad you think this is a game. Go to class we'll handle this later. Detention for you tonight until 5pm room F2."

"Kay later short stuff."

I leave to my math class.

 

I sit in the desk 10 minutes after class had started. I decided to make a stop to the vending machine for a chocolate bar and juice, give a quick wedgie, and a pit stop to the restroom. I'm late to this class nearly everyday and each and every time as if it's on que my teacher Ms. Hwa Jin squawks at me for being late and asks a reason. Each day I think of a hilarious excuse to get a few chuckles from the students. Last time I said that a gurney fell out of an ambulance and delayed traffic.

"Mr. Kwon Ji Yong you're late. What's your reason?" 

I let out a annoyed sigh.

"I'm sorry ma'am my AA meeting ran a bit longer."

I got a few laughs all she did was roll her eyes. 

"Just... have a seat." 

I sat in my usual spot as she continued off where she left off. Halfway through I got bored. Ahead of me sat the most popular yet the snobbiest girl on campus. I took a straw from my bag and wadding a piece of wrapper the size of a pea. I put it in my mouth soaking it with saliva as I peeled the wrapper of the rest of the straw. Shoving the wet wad on one side I pushed air through the other and it landed on her hair. 

I laugh as she turned around giving me the death stare. 

"You're nasty!" 

I shrug. The teacher stopped talking and faced us.

"What is going on??"

Ms. Popular pants pointed at me with her pink acrylic nails. I hid the straw under the desk. I looked away trying to look innocent. 

"HE is spitting wads at me!" 

"Girl you're lying."

Te teacher waved her hands at us signalling us to quiet down.

"Hailing a bus?"

"You drag it to the principal's office!"

"Gladly."

I stand and leave to the principal's office. 

 

I walk in to see the principal sitting at a big table with my parents, my guidance counselor, and the superintendent. Something was up. Something important that the big man has to get involved. I got looked at like I had committed a murder. 

"Sit down Ji Yong. Now." 

The principal glared at me. Once again I laugh as I cannot take him seriously no matter how much he tries to intimidate me. He only crosses his arms. He turns to my parents.

"See this is what he does whenever I try to talk to him. He thinks it's funny. He is bullying other students and giving him detention and in school suspension is worthless." 

My mom taps my arm telling me to stop laughing. The superintendent nods and gives my parents a couple papers. The superintendent leans closer to me so we are almost face to face.

"Mr. Kwon Ji Yong I want you to listen to me."

"Dude.. you need a mint."

"This is your last chance young man. If you mess up you'll be forced to go to Camp Oakwood to teach you some manners or juvenile detention center where you'll stay for a year and live like a jail inmate. It's your choice."

I shook my head. I know what happens in juvenile detention. It ain't fun. 

"Camp Oakwood is cool. I'd rather earn bottle cap badges for roasting marshmallows than being locked up with guys taller than the security guards."

I look at the principal and grinned.

"I guess that rules you out Mr. Short n Baldy."

Before anyone could respond he hands my parents the forms for the camp and leaves. Job well done. My guidance counselor gave me a look.

"Ji Yong why are you doing this?"

"Why don't you look for a better paying job?"

From there my parents told the superintendent that I will be leaving. Each grasp my arm and walked out. I got in the car and threw my bag beside me.

"Ji Yong you have no excuse being mean to the staff they did nothing to you." 

"They are wasting their time with me and their rules . They won't know fun if it hit them on the head."

When we arrive home I see Dae-Soo waiting for me by the steps. I come out and stand in front of him. Instantly he flinches. 

"I-I... I got the money here..."

I accept the bills from his hand and pat him on the head smiling.

"Good Boy. See how much happier you make me when you do what you're told?" 

He nods terrified and shake a bit.

"Go run home before I give you a wedgie for something to do."

He ran as fast as he could. I walk inside and grab my suitcase. Tomorrow I'm going to camp where "they'll teach me manners". I couldn't help but laugh at how stupid that sounds. I have no worries. They'll send me back home with a sympathy note within the first day. I'll be home spending my summer break the way I want. 

How bad can a stupid camp possibly be?