Farewell/Senior Year

Around the Campfire

"Okay campers... time to get up..." Gabe mutters out, standing and rubbing his eyes.

We all, still sleepy, manage to roll out of bed. It's the final day for us. We aren't doing much activities besides finishing our pottery pieces and a huge goodbye party in the main hall about three hours before we are expected to leave. I grab my suitcase from the side of the bed and began to pack. Seung Hyun helps me fold my sleeping bag and blanket.

"I'm so sad it's the last day Ji... The other night with the talent show was amazing. "

I nod.

"I know  Seung Hyun."

Gabe yawns, standing by the door. 

"Campers today is our last day, while we pack, if you want exchange cell phone numbers and mailing addresses go ahead. All of you are wonderful and I'm sure you all want to keep in contact with each other."

We all nod quickly writing our mailing addresses and numbers down like a bunch of school girls before summer vacation. We even got Gabe's cell phone number!

"Just wait until tomorrow Gabe I'm gonna text you all the good memes." I say with a smug look.

"Meme war." Hong Ki chimed in.

Our conversation was cut short when Janie knocks on the door. Daesung covers himself as if he was dressing.

"Not decent!" He squawks. 

We all burst into fits of giggles. Gabe opens the door.

"Come in Janie these gents are just being silly." 

She laughs. 

"What did you give these boys Gabe?"

There's the opportunity for us to chime in irrelevant answers.

"Crack."

"Pixie Sticks."

"Motor Oil."

"Six pounds of sugar."

"Dog Biscuits"

"Coca-Cola."

Janie laughs at our responses  shaking her head. She tells Gabe the last day schedule which is only swimming, lunch, pottery, a movie, and the party before going home. She turns to us.

"Gents, good news, you're all pre-approved to come back this January for the two week winter camp."

We all nearly jump for joy even though I already had prior knowledge of the news. We finish packing our suitcases and rolled the mattresses making sure the bunks were neat and tidy. Gabe wrote our names on strips of masking tape sticking them to our suitcases accordingly. 

"They're gonna be in a giant room with 100 other cases, this is so you don't lose them."

He lead us to the wrap around patio on the main hall, a portion already had a load of suitcases. We all tossed our bags to the side of the patio before going to the cafeteria. We are served stuffed french toast and bacon. After eating we go to the cabin to finish cleaning up and making sure everything is clean for the next set of campers. 

We decided to not go swimming as we would have to get changed once again we instead decided to go canoeing for the heck of it. Gabe tightens my life jacket.

"Remember boys do not stand up in the canoe or you will fall in the water."

He gives me the side eye.

"I'm talking about you Nemo."

 "If a mutant size bee with a Mom tattoo decides that it wants to throw down just hold still and it will go away. " he continues as he made sure our life jackets were tightened. He pulls the canoe closer to the dock. 

"One at a time getting in, two on each row, and one on the back. Whoever sits in the back helps steer."

Hong Ki sat with Daesung, Seung Hyun sat with Seungri, Taeyang chose the back and I sat across Seung Hyun behind Gabe. Four of us had oar to push the canoe. Halfway though I sit hugging my knees suddenly getting anxious about the canoe tipping. 

I got fears I didn't know I had... I am full of surprises. 

I take deep breaths closing my eyes but for some reason I started to feel nauseous. I cover my mouth with my hand. Seung Hyun must have sensed what was wrong, completely forgetting about the rules he stood straight up.

"Oh No! Ji is gonna blow!" 

Gabe's eyes bulged as he tries to motion Seung Hyun to sit. I lean over the side quickly vomiting. Fun fact: Stuffed French Toast doesn't look or taste good coming back up. Gabe winces. 

"Oh my God Ji... first the flowers and now the fishies. Are you determined that you're gonna blow chunks on every inch of the property before you leave?"

I wipe my teary eyes taking a sip of water from a bottle. I cough.

"Sorry Gabe."

Gabe shakes his head throwing his hands in the air like an angry Italian.

"Just DESTROY the place!"

I sigh feeling nauseous again. Gabe got the best idea he's had since Day 1, he decides to pull us to shore. When he docks, I was the first out instantly running to land and vomiting once more behind a tree. 

Gabe groans.

"He is TRYING!"

Once I was certain that I was through upchucking I take another sip of water. Seung Hyun lets out a girlish squeal running away from the group. He instinctively cowers behing me, pointing to a grass snake. 

"I STEPPED ON IT!"

Gabe looks at the snake slithering with it's head up. He laughs.

"I'm sure right now it's cussing you out and calling you a cow."

 We all laugh except Seung Hyun, who only pouts as we continue on walking to the main hall to retrieve our pottery pieces. Arriving I see that my had set wonderfully. It finished with a glassy glaze and a pretty pink color. My letters faded a bit but that's nothing that is classified as a big deal. I wrap it in a few layers of scrap newspaper and putting it in my book bag safe and secure. I know my Mom will love it. 

Soon lunchtime rolled around and we were served hot dogs and fries. The Purple Team and our Team are the oldest on camp grounds, we were between ages 13-17. Since the first day the camp staff have been playing movies meant for younger kids, which is a huge snore fest for the older kids, they decided to give us our own movie time by playing the movie: Grown Ups. I have to say we were all in stitches we laughed through the entire movie. It's something we actually enjoyed. 

After the movie we had the opportunity to either help for an hour setting up for the farewell party or walk around outside or playing outdoor games. I chose to go outside. I am heading toward the tether ball pole. I gave the ball one swift punch and I watch as it swung around. I punch it again, the ball caught a random burst of wind, coming back hitting me in the eye. 

"Ow!" 

I fall back covering my injured eye groaning in pain. I had a feeling it was bad when it feels like my eye is bleeding. The pain can be described as a huge sting and a pulsating dull ache. I stand still holding my palm over my eye. I feel a hand touch my shoulder. I spun around to see Bella. She looks at me with concern.

"Ji Yong.. Are you okay? What happened to your eye Sweetie? Uncover it let me see."

I uncover my eye she gasps in shock.

"Is it bad?"

She shakes her head. 

"It's not too bad but it don't look good either. You do have a noticeable shiner."

She reaches into her book bag pulling out just about everything she owns: phone, ear buds, iPod, book, counselor clip board, walkie talkie, Medication, snacks, water bottle, cough drop, iPad, the kitchen sink... she finally pulls out a small first aid kit and a instant one use ice pack. She hits the ice pack with her fist and shakes it. She motions me to sit on a rock.

"Here put this on your eye while I cover the small cut on your cheek."

The pain went away and I was starting to feel better until she dabs the cut on my cheek with a rubbing alcohol cotton ball. I jump out of my skin wincing at the stinging sensation.

"Owww! Bella!" I whine.

She giggles.

"My kindergarten campers don't even flinch when I clean their cuts and scrapes and here you are whining."

I pout and give her the irritable puppy eyes making her laugh again and she give me a side hug.

"You aren't so tough after all are ya?"

I shake my head.

Gabe does his girl jog over to us immediately wondering about the slightly swollen shiner on my eye. Bella nods.

"He tried to fight a tether ball and ended up on the losing end."

I point to the tether ball pole. 

"It cheated."

Bella pats my shoulder. 

"Sure it did."

She puts everything back in her bag before lifting it onto her back.

"My campers went home last night they get to leave early because they're little. Since I won't be having anymore campers for another three days I'm going home for a couple days."

She writes her number on a sheet of paper in pink marker then on my left hand. She shoves the paper in my back pocket. 

"Call me when you get home so we can plan another date."

She hugs me tight.

"I'll see you for the Snow Camp."

I hug her back smiling big. She whispers I love you in my ear before turning to leave. She calls for Mack and goes in the direction of staff parking. I sigh, feeling a little sad watching my girlfriend leave but I know I can call her when I get home. I throw the ice pack away when it got warm and Kendra gave me a reusable long lasting one. 

Soon enough it was almost time for the party. Janie told us to group up in front of our cabin for a picture. She promises to give us each a print of the picture before we leave. We walk in the Main Hall to see the room decorated with: Streamers, balloons, confetti, stickers, and handmade posters. KPop is blaring through the ceiling speakers. Lights were glowing and the table is filled with snacks and soda. 

On the side note I am glad I'm not cleaning up after.

We did an equal amount of time dancing and snacking. We were having such a great time we did not notice our parents coming in seeing us dance like we inhaled a bag of sugar. I happen to see a glimpse of my Mom waving to me, she is also slightly judging my dancing. I ran to her to give her a hug.

"Hello honey. I'll let you dance your energy out before you go home. I don't want you up half the night. Go have fun." 

I lost track of the time but it was 8:45 PM when the dance finally concludes. By that time most of the campers were gone, since they had grown tired and called it a night half way through. Surprisingly, the only group left was the five of us. The DJ had turned the lights down to a mood lighting dim and switched the music to a country selection. Our folks were sitting on the other side of the room patiently waiting for us. 

Janie and Gabe walk up to us with sad looking smiles. 

"Well boys this is it." Janie sadly handing us each a yellow envelope. 

Inside is the: group photo printed on 8.5x11 landscape paper, various other copies of photos of us during our camp activities, a hand written letter from Janie, a coupon for 50% off school supplies, and a voucher for a free large milkshake at the local ice cream shop. She gives us a gallon size Ziploc bag of left over cookies from the party. She explains that for some reason everyone rather ate cupcakes than the cookies. She hugs each one of us.

"I'm gonna miss you boys. Do good in school and I will see you all in January." 

She gives me an extra hug and playfully pinches my nose giving me a stern look.

"Especially you. Don't let that man give you a hard time. You are an amazing kid with a lot of potential."

She gives me a card along with my phone that Gabe had confiscated in the beginning.

"Keep in touch I want progress reports on school. I know you are going to make it. I want to be there for graduation."

I smile and return the embrace.

"Thanks for a wonderful summer Janie."

Gabe gives us hugs goodbye also randomly lecturing on how mosquito repellent does not work on bears as it is "essential" information on our every day lives. Lastly we say goodbye to each other. Hong Ki says we needed to hang out before school starts. I hug Seung Hyun. He gives me sad eyes.

"Who's gonna be my thunder buddy?"

I smile. 

"You'll have my number just call me or try to at least stick it out Dorky."

He wipes his eyes.

"I'll have to try."

I slap his arm laughing and for some reason tearing up as well.

"You can do it. I'll call or text you any chance I get I promise buddy."

This seemed to have calm him down. One last goodbye I leave with my Mom grabbing my things from the patio.

"See honey I told you it would be fun. You just had to give it a chance."

I shove my luggage into the trunk and hop in the passenger seat. I look out my window seeing Mom talking to Gabe. They hug and then he kisses her. 

GAG.

I hit the window with my hand yelling my baby eyes and to get a room, only to receive a laugh from both. Gabe knocks on the window. 

"Buckle up kid."

When the smooching fest finished Mom got back in the car. Gabe leaves as he told her he'll see her next week. I yawn and tighten my seat belt. I turn on my phone screen adding everyone's number including Bella's into my contacts and then in a group circle: CAMP DORKS.

It's a long drive home. I yawn again and shut my eyes slowly dozing off into a light sleep. 

 

                                                                         -Senior Year-

Since I had came home I haven't been sleeping well, regardless, I have been awakening at 6AM on the dot. Camp Oakwood habit I guess. We had went school shopping for my supplies yesterday, I am more than ready to start the school year, mostly ready for it to be over with. My aunt went to a business trip for a week, she said she will be bringing home a excellent pay check and we can all do something fun this Saturday. The only downfall about my senior ear is that school went through expensive total renovation, everything is brand new. The superintendent also passed a rule for the first time ever we all must wear uniforms. Not only are we stuck here for 7 and a half hours, but we all have to dress like we are all lawyers going to a court case. Oh what fun.

Today I awake on a dreary Monday morning. After a shower I got dressed in the new uniform. Considering it's a white dress shirt, black over coat, and black khakis I already hate it. At least they don't care what type or color our shoes are as long as they are closed toed and we had to wear white socks. They don't care about our book bag styles either. I'm glad we are able to personalize somehow without looking like a bunch of clones. 

Mom is downstairs stirring Ramen in a pan. She gives me a bowl full along with chopsticks. Mary Kate, is laying in her swing in her adorable pink giraffe onesie sporting pink booties and a Albert Einstein hair do. She is focused completely on the Baby Shark video playing on the TV. I rub the top of her head.

"Good Morning Sissy you're wide awake bright eyed and bushy tailed."

Mom laughs.

"She was awake at 5AM and wasn't bright eyed or bushy tailed until her brother got up."

I smile and eat my breakfast. I wait for the school bus. I text Seung Hyun:

Rise and Shine Dorky! You have school today?

He has yet to respond when the bus stops at my driveway. I step on sitting in my usual spot/ Third seat in the closest to the back. My phone dings indicating Seung Hyun had replied.

Good Morning and yes I have school. I'm there a bit early. A bit nervous for my first day.

I shake my head typing a response.

Don't worry it's fine the junior year is a breeze. Just think that next year is your last year.

The bus picks up four more students before continuing the usual 15 minute commute to the school. The meantime I watch BTS on YouTube. The bus parks in front of the school. We all crowd pushing and shoving to exit the bus. 

I walk in through double doors. My final year. It's about time... Four years in this hell hole they call an education building is enough for me. I sigh. This is not our crammed cabin that I had gotten so used to over the duration of the summer. I really do miss my friends at Camp Oakwood: Hong Ki, Seungri, Taeyang, Daesung, Seung Hyun... Especially Seung Hyun. The one I thought I was going to end up hating turned into a best friend. I miss him a lot...

I walk down the hall and see Dae Soo, the kid that I picked on last year. I walk up to him giving him a half hearted wave that he returned with a flinch. I pat his shoulder.

"Good job winning the summer science fair award. Keep up the good work."

The shock on the kid's face is indescribable. He actually tipped over from the shock that I complimented him instead of insulting him. 

I put my stuff in my locker and shut the door seeing my friends from last year looking at me excitedly.

"Hey Ji how was Camp color pages and marshmallows?" My friend, Hee Chul, booms before laughing at his own lame joke. (A/N: Where the Super Junior fans at??) I shake my head.

"I had a great time thanks for asking."

Ignoring my response he grabs my arm.

"Follow us we got a new student who is practically begging to be kicked."

He walks me down a flight of stairs to the basement. I hear a terror filled screech echo from behind the closed janitor closet. It sounds all too familiar. Almost like... SEUNG HYUN! I angrily snatch my arm away.

"Open the damn door!"

He obeys immediately, I see Seung Hyun almost hog tied, he is in tears as the other bullies are clapping dusty erasers on his head. I quickly reach in pulling him to a stand. They thought I was going to let him have it but were shocked when I untied him and dusted him off. 

"Ji what the hell? Beat him up!"

"Make his nose bleed!"

I turn quickly facing the three with angry eyes. 

"No. This isn't right. Just stop doing this they don't deserve the torment."

They leave up the stairs mocking and laughing at my change of behavior. I wipe Seung Hyun's eyes with a tissue. 

"Are you okay?"

He nods hugging my waist.

"Thank you. I'm so happy to see that I started a new school at the best time. I missed yo so much. I was trying to defend you they were talking bad about you." 

I hug him back. He feels like a brother to me. 

"Right now let me do the defending. It looks like you need more of it than me."

He laughs. I walk back to the main floor with him by my side. Everyone seemed to be whispering and staring at me. Over the sound of tons of chatter I heard a voice boom followed by cackling over the crowd:

JI YONG IS A SOFTY NOW! 

I stomp toward Hee Chul, I push him down and strike his chin. I rest my knee on his chest.

"I may be softer than last year but at least I don't make other kids miserable to feel better about myself."

I grasp his hair standing him up roughly.

"I can still kick your six ways to Sunday. Don't try me."

I push him back as I walk Seung Hyun to his first class, on the way showing him the way to the cafeteria and teaching him how to unlock his locker. I've mentioned before no one picks on Seung Hyun beside me. 

He thanked me about 100 times for helping him. The first bell rang as it's time for class. I pat his back.

"Pay attention to Mr. Hwang and don't get into too much trouble or he'll give you a pop quiz." 

He smiles. 

"I will."

I turn walking into my first class for Earth Science. As the teacher lectured on and on about the universe and some kind of explosion called the Big Bang theory, I sneak my phone under my desk, texting my camp friends asking about a ice cream date after school. Hong Ki politely declined for drama club, but the others agreed. I smile adding their contacts including my own to another group circle. It's irrelevant to the Earth Science topic but it sounds so cool. I tap the blank title of the circle and type: 

BIGBANG.

 

A/N: OMG readers... that's it. 3,605 in words in a single chapter. A NEW RECORD! I am dedicating this story to my Mom who is very ill and she gave me laughs and feedback since Chapter 1! Thanks to all my readers! I am definitely brewing up a sequel to this story but it will be a while until the first chapter is published. Lots of hugs~ <3