Bug

Around the Campfire

I woke up with my head feeling like it's being inflated like a balloon. My stomach ached like crazy. I sit up groaning in pain. I check the time on my watch, 5:47am, I stand and slowly sleepily stumble to Gabe's bedside giving him a tap on the shoulder.

"Gabe... I think I'm going to be sick..."

Gabe got up in a flash, putting his shoes on the wrong feet and leading me outside. I didn't get a few feet from the door, I let out an odd sounding sickening noise, then hurry over to the rail and vomit onto the ground. Gabe is grossed out.

"Ah Ji Yong... you blew chunks on the flowers.. They never stood a chance."

He pats my back.

"Take an easy."

He takes out his cell phone and dials a number. I only had time to take a quick glance at what the man is doing before I had another burst of vomit showering the poor petunias in a chunky substance. I hear him talking to I'm assuming it's either Kendra or Janie.

"Yes he's upchucking... he's outside barfing on the ground... I hate to say the flowers are done for... Yes ma'am I'll bring him in..."

He hung up shoving his cell phone in his pocket. I stopped to take a deep breath and wipe my watery eyes. We see Mr. Bin show up and go in our cabin. Without warning, Gabe hoisted me over his shoulder like he's holding a football and begins to hightail down the trail.

"Hang on Ji Yong it's gonna be a bumpy ride..." 

We pass a few groups of staff members. They see Gabe carrying me over his shoulder running like a lunatic. They watch us pass like we have two heads.

"STAY BACK  WE HAVE A SICK CAMPER! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! WE GOT AN EMERGENCY PEOPLE! SICK CAMPER COMING THROUGH! HEY STOP STARING!"

...It is not even 6 AM Gabe... you are screaming like a banshee and causing commotion. I'm starting to get nauseous from the feeling of my body being bounced against your hard shoulders. 

He runs up the steps to Kendra's office, nearly dropping me, and he sits me roughly on a bed. I sit up looking at him in shock and trying not to puke again. Gabe, for your own good, don't ever work as a paramedic...

"Kendra?! KENDRA?! We have a sick camper. 

Oh my God. I have the biggest temptation to ninja kick Gabe out the door. How did the camp ever hire him? After the third yell Kendra came out of the side room looking like she just rolled out of bed. She also looks like she's ready to murder Gabe. 

"Alright Gabriel I heard your big mouth the first time!"

Ooooh she used the whole name. I don't know much about women but when Mom uses my full name I know I'm dead meat for some reason. She feels my forehead.

"Awww you don't feel well sweetheart? Here let me check your temperature."

She takes a thermometer out of a clear case and instructs me to open my mouth.

"Under the tongue."

I can see Gabe smirking from the corner of my eyes.

"Hey isn't that the rectal thermometer?"

RECTAL THERMOMETER?! I spit out the thermometer gagging and nearly puking. Kendra shoots Gabe a dirty look. She pats my shoulder. 

"Ji Yong this is the oral thermometer, don't listen to that giant doof over there."

I open my mouth so she can retake my temperature. She looks at Gabe like she's just done with him. 

"I ought to give him the rectal thermometer. What do you think sweetie?"

I smile and give her two thumbs up. Gabe's eyes widened as he covers his back end.

"He's against me."

The thermometer beeps she looks at the digital display.

"Hmm. It's slight right now at 99.7 ..."

She rinses off the thermometer. She tests my vitals as Gabe stood there making silly medical puns. She pushes on my belly making me wince.

"It hurts there?"

I nod as she takes a quick listen. 

"Ji Yong I honestly think you have that dreaded stomach bug that's going around. Eat only foods that are easy on your stomach like rice and jello. Drink fluids like gatorade and water. Don't have any salty or greasy foods. No dairy products. Most importantly plenty of rest. No vigorous activities until you feel better."

Gabe snaps his fingers getting our attention. Kendra sighs in annoyance. 

"Darn, so that is a no to tacos this afternoon?"

My jaw drops. He caught my attention. Although my stomach is hurting I am always down for those greasy toppings in a warm tortilla shells. Heck I can be dying and I'd be demanding tacos. I hope there's a bunch of tacos in heaven. Talk about dying happy. 

"Did you just say TACOS?!"

Gabe nods. Kendra has had enough of his shenanigans and orders him to leave the office. Once he was gone she shakes her head.

"I swear that man is a nut job."

I knew that from the start. She tells me to lay down and relax for a while. She gives me a water bottle to drink. She covers me with a blanket and turns off all lights except for one by the door and the one on her desk. She sets a garbage pail beside me in case I get sick again. 

"Try to rest sweetie."

She goes to her desk to answer a ringing phone. I close my eyes and fall asleep.

 

I wake up only to find myself back in my bedroom. How on earth did I get back here without even noticing? Oh well, at least my stomach bug is gone. I open my door and step out into the hall. Everything seems normal at first glance. I happened to notice that some of them are ripped in half. The ones of me and mom are fine, but the ones that usually have Dad and I in are ripped. The only side in the frames are the ones of me. 

Not really impressed with the crazy odd redecoration I go downstairs where hopefully things are normal or at least make sense. My thoughts were disrupted by a small baby cry. I see it's coming from a baby carrier on the couch covered with a pink blanket. I uncover it to see the cutest baby girl. This must be Mary Kate. 

My heart melted into mush in a split moment. That proud big brother feeling kicked into gear. I'm not even that mad that I missed her birth. I pick her up holding this peanut sized baby in my hands. 

"Hi sissy.. I'm your bro."

Tears of happiness wells in my eyes giving her a kiss on the forehead. I hear a slam in the kitchen. Out stomps my father.

"I told you he's coming with me! You have your damn sister and that baby!"

My mom follows out in tears. 

"You cannot force him to go with you! He is fine right where he is! All you're going to do is train him to be a monster running from the law!"

They both come in arguing over one another. Dad points to me.

"Look he's finally awake you can ask him who he wants to go to!"

Mom gently takes the baby out of my arms returning her to the carrier and closing her into another room before sitting across from me. Dad only roughly sits on the couch. Mom wipes her nose on a Kleenex. 

"Ji Yong... sweetie we're trying not to pressure you but we need a important decision. Do you want to go with Dad or stay with me?"

As if it was on que, Dad reaches for his wallet pulling out almost $300 in cash laying it on the coffee table. He smiles like he did the most generous thing in the world. 

"That's all yours buddy if you choose to go with me. That is enough to buy a new bike."

I say nothing and look at the money taking a step back. I look at Mom who only held my hand in a shaky grip crying harder. 

"I don't have anything much to offer you son but you have my love and that's worth more than anything."

I feel so bad for her. I really do. I pat her hand nodding to her. I look at my father's eyes pushing the money away.

"I'm sorry Dad... but I'm staying here."

He scoffs and laughs like he had heard the world's worst joke. He stands.

"Ji Yong. Your mother is dramatic. Just come with me don't fall for her sob filled excuse."

I hold onto Mom's hand tightly. 

"I'm staying Dad."

Like a bullet he stands grasping my arm. I yelp. 

"I SAID TO COME WITH ME BOY!"

Just as quick I yank back my arm and immediately grasp Mom.

"I SAID NO!"

He yells at Mom and I about how unfair it was that I chose her over him, I was brainwashed, and like a broken record he kept saying "I was not his son" and "He raised a Mama's Boy". He really tries too hard to hurt my feelings but news for him it didn't work. Play a different tune old man. He leaves in a huff slamming the door so hard he knocks a picture frame off the wall. Mom hugs me.

"Ji Yong I'm so sorry he's intimidating you-"

"Mom he's doesn't strike fear in me whatsoever. Staying here is my best decision. I'm home here with you and Mary Kate."

Crying again she hugs me tightly. It's the same hug she uses when I used to wake up crying from terrible nightmares. She hasn't hugged me like this since I was 10. She always told me that no matter what the situation is, no matter what, this hug is stronger than anything. No one has the power to break it. I knew that this is the safest place in the world. 

 

I open my eyes when I felt something cold touch my head. I see Kendra looking at me with a cool damp cloth in her hand. I am sweating up a storm. She gives me a green Gatorade. 

"You were crying in your sleep. Are you okay?"

I shrug and nod. I don't know what that dream was all about... Either it's my nerves or I am worried about having to choose sides in the future. Which ever it is, it's certainly enough to make anyone overwhelmed. I hope that one day that I will never have to make that decision. Kendra rechecks my vitals and temperature. 

"It's still slight with 100.2 Are you hungry?"

I nod. She opens a red jello pudding cup. She gives it to me with a plastic spoon. She gives me two blue tablets and a water bottle instructing me to take it.

"Here this will help with your stomach sweetheart. I called your mom she says it's okay for you to take it."

I took the pills and finish eating the jello cup. I'm actually feeling a bit better. My stomach hurts like a cramp but it's not as severe as it was. I tell her that I am feeling better she tells me to wait while she calls Janie. 

"Janie will be here for you soon. She'll help you find your team."

A few minutes later Janie comes in and smiles at me like I just told her she won the lottery. 

"Ji Yong! You're all better!"

She thanks Kendra and leads me outside to her golf cart. I regret leaving that nice air conditioned room, it's a absolute scorcher out here. She starts driving.

"It's too hot to work on the go kart project today. It's either swimming or indoor activities."

I told her I wanted to swim, she nods and puts her purple aviator glasses over her eyes.

"I think your team is going swimming now anyway. I'll let you join them but I want you to stay hydrated because you might still be queasy and this heat is not helping. Come out of the water every so often and take a couple minutes to sip water."

"Yes Ma'am." 

We happened to pass the team. Janie stops to tell Gabe that she was going to let me change so I could join in. Gabe only listens for a second then runs to me. 

"Ji Yong! You're alive! I thought the Kendra dragon held you captive!"

How old are you...? I could only nod at his weirdness as Janie pretends not to hear him but the others laugh. She drove off rather quickly then slowed down.

"The lights are on but no one is home... anyway I'll wait here while you get your stuff for the pool."

I go in the cabin grabbing what I need: Sandals, Swimsuit, Towel, Sunglasses, Water Bottle, and Sun Block. I don't need to be roast chicken. All ready for the water.

Janie drives to the edge of the beach area where we met the team. Seung Hyun gives me a gentle side hug, very happy that I am able to participate. Janie leans toward my ear.

"Remember Ji Yong... Stay with your buddy and clear away from the dock."

When given the signal we all got in. It felt so nice to be submerged in water when it's a boiling 90 degrees outside. We were all having fun until this one camper from Team Blue gave me a rough shove I accidentally fell into Seung Hyun. We surfaced from under the water. 

"Hey what the heck is your damn issue?" 

He looks at me, he is very unfamiliar. He growls and shoves me again. 

"I am your worse nightmare... Sprinkles."