Breakdown

Around the Campfire

My mom shook Gabe's hand, giving him a big smile. Gabe gives off this goofy looking smile back that I don't think I've ever seen before. I couldn't help but laugh. They were having a conversation, I looking around for Hong Ki or Seung Hyun. I tap my Mom's shoulder.

"Mom? Can I show Mary Kate around the area if I'm careful?"

She nods taking her out of her carrier and laying her in my open arms then covering her in her blanket. I walk around the pavilion showing her the karts and lumber then around the wooded area. She looks at me giving me a small smile that absolutely melted my heart. I'm really a proud brother right now. I finally spot Hong Ki. He is playing with a couple rocks. 

"Hey Hong Ki. Where's your family?" 

He looks at me and smiles when he sees the baby. 

"My folks are using the bathroom they had a 3 hour drive. They'll be here soon."

He rubs the top of Mary Kate's head.

"Look at the hair on you child. I am so happy that you got such a protective and great big brother."

I laugh.

"You got that right. I'd die if it means to protect this little nugget."

We take a quick look around to see if we can spot Seung Hyun. Gabe blows his whistle.

"Campers go to your go karts so you can show your family what you created."

We both stood by our kart patiently waiting for Seung Hyun. He does show up but he looks like he is mad and sad at the same time. I pat his shoulder.

"Hey Buddy what's wrong?"

He doesn't answer and stands further away from me near Hong Ki. 

Hmm.. must be having a bad day. I'll talk to him later.

We show our families the kart design and how it works. They were all quite impressed on what we can build as a team. We weren't allowed to start them up as it would create a bunch of unwanted noise, naturally they had to take the fun part out of the whole event. I happen to notice that Seung Hyun's parents kept looking at me like I am a piece of trash. Hong Ki's folks did the same thing. I look at Hong Ki.

"What did I do?" 

Hong Ki shrugs.

"I don't know buddy."

It seems like the entire group of parents under the pavilion were looking at me with the same expression.  It's starting to get concerning. Seung Hyun keeps giving me a sad look but purposely avoiding me. I walk toward Mom.

"Hey why is everyone looking at me like I'm trash?"

Mom shrugs and puts Mary Kate in her carrier. 

"Don't pay too much attention sweetheart." 

I walk back to Hong Ki and I happen to overhear a conversation that Seung Hyun's parents are having with Gabe. 

"It really does not matter if he is improving in anyway, you can put make up on a pig, it's still a pig. Someone had told us all about him. We don't want our son near that delinquent trouble maker. He's a terrible influence on him. We don't want him exposed to society's issues like him."

Are they talking about me?! Seriously? Who is telling them all of this?! I need to get to the bottom of this now. I walk around the area, Hong Ki following closely behind. I see Seung Hyun. I grab his harm spinning him around to face me.

"Dude what is going on?"

He tries to ignore me. That right there is one of the things that make me very mad. I clench onto his shoulder blades in desperate need to hear him talk to me. 

"ANSWER ME."

I can feel his arms shake in my grip. He looks into my eyes with anger in his.

"M-My mom and dad said we can't be friends. They don't want me to hang out with someone like you. They believe in giving people some kind of chance to fix themselves... but you... they heard what you've done they believe you are just a bad person Ji Yong... I-I'm so sorry."

I pause. I can feel my blood begin to boil. How could they do this? What have they heard?

I hear a cackle in the distance. I recognize it all too well... I let go of Seung Hyun to follow the sound. I found out who's cackle it belongs to. I immediately regret ever investigating for it. There stood the guy who has caused my mom and I nothing but hell. He is holding hands with a younger blond woman she looks like someone he met on Tinder, went on one cheesy date on, and decided to hook up. He looks at me like I'm a poor kid in New York City begging for money.

"Ugh.. can I help you?"

Nice to see you too... I cross my arms and then look at his "partner". I point to her.

"I'm not calling her mom."

He laughs heartily then shakes his head pushing me back a bit. She laughs with him.

"He's YOURS? You can do better than that. Which doorstep did you find him on?"

I cross my arms and scoff.

"Yeah, and I think some trashy bozo scammed him because you aren't worth a single cent he paid for you."

I smile when she drops her jaw in offense. I see his face turn red in anger for me insulting his "partner". He pats her hand lovingly.

"Loretta, he isn't worth it."

Before I can say anything else this adorable camper, she looks like she's 7 or 8, she comes up and hugs him then Loretta. I'm assuming she is hers.

"Hi Mom! I want to come show you my paintings!"

Dad gives me another shove to get by me. I angrily shove him back nearly making him fall sideways.

"Don't touch me Dad."

Loretta's daughter gleams with joy. 

"Are you my brother?"

She runs to me hugging the leg of my jeans which immediately her mother peels her off and sprays her with sanitizing spray.

"Don't touch him you don't know where he's been."

"He'll never be your brother he's not my child."

He laughs manically as he picks her up, gives her a kiss, and carries her to the trail to go the main hall. I felt something inside me snap. It feels like my senses and self control had just stop dead in their tracks. I swear I had steam coming out of my ears. The flows of non stop tears of anger streamed down my face. I see Mom at the bottom talking to my aunt. I stop in front of her.

"There you are Ji I was looking- what's wrong??"

I couldn't even speak tangible words. My anger and tears were making it nearly impossible. I finally got out what I had to say. I told her everything Dad had said to me, what Seung Hyun and his parents had said, and what Dad is now dating. After that I got hit with a wave of anger mixed with heart break. We see Dad talking to Seung Hyun's parents. Mom hands my aunt Mary Kate's carrier.

"Stay here I'll be back."

She stormed towards them. My aunt sits us down on a bench. She wraps her arms around me.

"Shhhh. It's okay Ji. Your dad is just a jerk, your Mom and I love you more than anything."

I felt a tap on my other shoulder. I look up and see Phyllis holding a giant cookie with vanilla frosting and over coated with rainbow sprinkles.

"Sprinkles don't cry. You'll melt. Here I baked your own cookie for you."

I could not help but smile a bit through my tears. I look at my aunt. 

"T-This is Phyllis. Sh-She's my adopted gram. Phyllis t-this is my aunt a-and my baby s-sister."

She shook Phyllis's hand and they talked for a bit. I broke my cookie into pieces and shared it with Phyllis, my aunt, and saved a few pieces for my mom. We cannot hear what Mom is saying but from the looks of it she is letting Dad and Loretta have it. 

I see Seung Hyun looking at me from behind a thick tree and motioning me to come to him. I had just calmed down. I roll my eyes, setting my plate down, and walking toward the tree. I look at him with arms crossed.

"Yes...?"

"Ji Yong, I know my parents are wrong. They don't know what's going on and it looks like your Mom might be telling them what's going on. Your dad must have told them something they didn't like."

I only let out a long sigh.

"I have no idea what my father had said to them but it is no reason for them to tell us we can't be friends. We get along that's all that matters. They act like I'm teaching you how to break into cars and burglarize homes. Yes, I'm no angel and people who know me probably think of me as a demon offspring. I made mistakes and I have been a complete jerk to people. Coming here I was the biggest jerk but now I regret every time I treated people so lowly. I learned that being mean isn't the way to go. Besides, girls don't dig guys being jerks for fun."

He looks at me with tears slowly welling up in his eyes. We sit on the roots sticking up from the ground. I point to Mary Kate in my aunt's arms.

"See that little baby over there? Now with my dad gone, I have to help my Mom keep that cute little baby happy and healthy. It'll be a summer day in Antarctica before I teach her to be mean. I can't have that fake ego on me for her. Thank your lucky stars kid that you have a father that tells you that he loves you and actually means it. Your dad keeps his hands to himself. My dad told me that I was a mistake and each day he hurt my mom. I'm sorry that I hurt you and Hong Ki in the beginning. If you still want to avoid me go ahead. It's your parent's rule anyway you should listen to them."

We hear Seung Hyun's father whistle for his attention, my mom is walking back up the hill to where my aunt is sitting. I follow her.

"Don't worry about that anymore Ji Yong. Your father is no longer a bother he's leaving. Seung Hyun's parents have no more issues. I made sure that they understand what is going on."

I hug her smiling big.

"Thank you Mom!"

She hugs me back smiling bigger. 

"I love you so much Ji Yong. Please don't ever forget that. You're my son and I would never give up my love for you for anyone."

We talk for a few minutes longer when Hong Ki came to us with Seung Hyun. They want to see the baby again. Mom allows us to hold her for a bit. Gabe greets us and then bows respectfully at Mom. He gives her a smile. I see Mom smile and blush a bit. I took that opportunity to chime in.

"Oooh... Get back out there Mom!"

She chuckles a bit embarrassed and gives me a playful shove.

"Hey.. stop or you're grounded."

I laugh out loud. Hong Ki and Seung Hyun left to go find an activity to do with their folks. When they left she told me that she is very interested into Gabe and that if he asks she will most likely consider dating her. She had explained a little bit ago to Gabe what was going on with my father and she had let Janie know as well. 

Visitation had ended a bit later than they originally planned. I am so happy I got to talk to Mom and my Aunt for a while. It felt good to get some things off my chest. I am mostly overjoyed I got to sing my song to my sister personally and actually meet her. We said our final goodbyes. I thought about it for a while, though it's going to get some getting used to, I think Gabe would be the best boyfriend for Mom. I wouldn't mind calling him my step dad. He's a lot better than the one I have and he gets along with me and adores Mary Kate. It's too early to determine what's going to come from it, but I have a gut feeling that it'll be great. 

Gabe calls us into a circle. He stands in the middle. 

"Campers! Time for our next activity!"