Bad Day

Around the Campfire

My eyes shot open I sat up immediately coughing up water. It felt like my lungs were on fire, I felt like I couldn't breathe. I can feel tears run down my face trying to stop coughing.

"Ji Yong take short breaths..."

Gabe wraps a couple towels around me. I cough up the last bit of water. I take short breaths before going for long ones. 

"Easy does it."

I feel like my body weighs a ton like I'm being weighed down. I don't quite remember what had happened besides seeing a random camper's face and then falling asleep under water. Kendra lifts me out of the sand and carries me into her office. She lays me down on the bed and straps an oxygen mask to my face. She checks my vitals. 

"I want you to take short breaths for me."

I obey taking short breaths but end up nearly coughing up my lungs. I flat out felt like I wasn't breathing air. She props the head of the bed seeing as it would help. After a few times of trying I am finally able to breathe. My coughing had subsided. Kendra checks my vitals again then checks my oxygen levels.

"I'm going to keep the oxygen on you for a while. Are you feeling a bit better?"

I nod. She covers me with a heated blanket just a precaution making sure I wouldn't get cold because I am in an air conditioned cabin with wet clothes. I lay still my arms are very sore from flailing. I sigh, it seems like something always happens. The office door opens and in comes Seung Hyun and Gabe. 

"Ji Yong!"

Seung Hyun runs to my bed side sobbing like a baby and beginning to shake. 

"I'm so sorry... It's all my fault I should of went with you... I thought you died..."

He covers his face still sobbing uncontrollably. I tighten my lips unknown what to say. It really wasn't his fault, in fact it is my own fault. I left his side to fall for a bogus excuse for someone to push me into the water. If I didn't go with that other camper I'd still be playing in the water. Seung Hyun takes panicking gasps. This poor kid is an absolute train wreck.

"Don't die on me... D-Don't leave me ever..."

I slowly turn slightly to my left to face him. He peeks out at me. I really can't see this kid cry he's so scared. I feel so bad for him. I hold out my arms to him. 

"Come here."

He immediately hugs me. I can hear his muffled sobs. I pat his back.

"It's okay, it wasn't your fault at all. I made the wrong decision of leaving your side. I'm okay now I won't leave you again."

He starts calming down. I gave him a playful shove. 

"Now quit crying you damn dork."

He lets out a broken laugh wiping his tears away with his hand. Janie came in the cabin immediately rushing to me.

"Oh thank heavens you're okay."

She sits in the chair beside me. 

"Ji Yong, next time you go swimming do not leave your swim buddy behind. The buddy system is to prevent incidents like that."

I shake my head starting to get outraged.

"Janie, I was tricked. Some camper told me they lost their ring and asked me to help them find it. I was only being nice. If I knew that we were supposed to be with someone at all times I would have told him to find his ring his own damn self. How the hell was I supposed to know what he was up to?!"

Janie nods looking at a couple sheets of paper she came in with. She scan reads them.

"Please calm down. I know Ji Yong. Hong Ki, Seung Hyun, Gabe, and the lifeguard, Luann, testified in an incident report that they saw that you were pushed. We took care of the camper who pushed you he is no longer at camp either he too is going home. You were under water for a solid 45 seconds before Luann pulled you out. I'm just saying next time please have Seung Hyun go with you okay?"

"Whatever."

She leaves to talk to Kendra. Seung Hyun sees that I am starting to get angry I'm gripping the sheets so hard my knuckles are turning white. He looks at my hand pulling my fingers loosening my grip. He pats my hand.

"It's okay don't do that."

I want nothing more than to go to the cabin and pretend this day never happened. I'm feeling my blood beginning to boil. When Kendra made sure that I was okay I was allowed to leave with Seung Hyun and Gabe. We go back in the cabin where I get changed into dry clothes and flop face down on my bed. I growl into my pillow trying so hard not to lose my temper. Janie brings the rest of the campers inside. Gabe instructs that it's quiet hour and not to disturb me. 

10 minutes into quiet hour I have calmed down and I turn to my side seeing my baby sister's ultrasound picture on my wall. I take it down taking a closer look at her. I see her cute little eyes are closed, her legs are scrunched up, and she has one arm crossed the other in front of her it looks like she was doing a selfie pose. I'm going to definitely love this kid. 

Quiet time is now over and we head into the main hall to do today's project. There are six easels set up around a table. Each easel had paints and pencils. Gabe instructs us to sit down at an easel and told us to free style. Everyone seems to have the time of their lives going feet first into free style painting. I, on the other hand, cannot just paint whatever comes to mind. I like to think things out.

"Gabe I'm lost on inspiration. I don't even know what I'm going to paint?"

Gabe thinks for a moment.

"I really don't know either bud just paint what comes into mind first."

Hong Ki gets up and lays on his side on the table. He looks at me doing a pose.

"Paint me like one of your french girls."

I nearly died laughing. Everyone told Hong Ki to sit still as they broke out their pencils and paints. Gabe even joined in. Hong Ki immediately regretted for even offering to be inspiration he didn't know if he could remain still for a whole hour. We see a camper in a camp Oakwood shirt, jeans, and white sneakers come skipping in.

"Hi I come with invitations!"

Gabe tells Hong Ki to take five and stands up. 

"Hi, I'm Jessie, I'm inviting you to Friendship Dance tomorrow night at 7 in the east hall. Hope to see you there!"

Off Jessica went skipping toward Team Purple's cabin. We all look at the confetti decorated paper invitations: 

You are invited to the first Friendship Dance of the year! 

Located in the East Hall at the end of the short nature trail! Doors open at 6:45, the dance will end at 10:00. Feel free to wear what is comfortable but avoid pajamas and shorts. You MUST wear you team color bracelets! Food and Drinks are provided! Partners are not required but encouraged. 

Hope to see you there!

 

Gabe nods seeming very interested. He looks at us.

"What do you guys think? Want to go?" 

We all cheer excitedly. This is the first time I have actually been to a dance. We had them at school, but I've been banned from ever attending them. Apparently bringing silly string to school on the day before a dance and spraying the bald principal on the head is a bad thing. I was trying to help him with his hair issue. Neon Pink was a good color on him. It wasn't me I'm a complete angel. 

While I had the dance on my mind I thought about asking Bella. This could be my chance to take her out. I asked Gabe if I could go outside for some air for a second.

"Okay Ji Yong hurry up Hong Ki can't hold the pose much longer. Our model is starting to look wobbly."

I go outside hoping to see Bella. Luck was on my side once again, she was walking Mack who barked seeing me approach her.

"Mack hush. Hi Ji Yong. What's up?"

She looks at me with her pretty eyes. I take a small breath feeling the butterflies in my stomach again. I held my stomach for a second.

"I-I am going to the dance tomorrow... would you like to go with me?"

I took a second to sigh quietly of relief. That took a lot of courage I really didn't have. I just took a good shot at it. In response she smiles clicking the brake on Mack's leash. 

"Ji Yong. I am very flattered you asked me. I would love to go with you but unfortunately it's against the rules and policy for counselors to be attending these dances as a date with a camper. If I was a camper I would say yes. I don't feel like losing my job. My campers have to be in bed by 7pm. I'm sorry."

Ouch. That hurt. I have wasted my breath and courage to only be rejected. I might as well have asked a tree and had better luck. I nod tightening my lips and hiding my shame.

"Oh okay. Thanks."

Without saying another word I walk back in to the main hall sitting at my easel flipping a blank page. A sudden wave of anger came over me. I threw my brush and took a glob of red paint with my hand and chucked it at the page making a huge splatter resembling similar to a shape of a broken heart. 

I screamed with rage smearing black paint over it. Everyone focused their attention on me looking at me with terror. I kicked the easel over screaming once more before stomping outside to the bathroom to rinse my hands. 

Gabe, still in shock, picked up my artwork slowly lifting it to look at it. 

"Well... that's one way to make art. Jackson Pollock style."

They clean up and follow me back to the cabin. I lay on my stomach screaming into my pillow. I hear a sigh and Gabe taps my shoulder.

"TOUCH ME AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE PULLING BACK A STUB YOU BIG GOON!"

"Sorry can you tell me what's wrong?"

I raise my head looking at Gabe like I was ready to remove his head off his shoulders. I clench my bed sheet nearly ripping it.

"I nearly drown, I get in trouble because of the dumb rules, and because of the fore-mentioned dumb rules, Bella rejects me when I asked her to the dance! This is the worst!"

I lay flat on my face letting out a low growl. The others are speechless. Gabe shook his head.

"Yeah counselors can't do that. I'm sorry Ji Yong."

"Yeah thanks parrot! I know the rule."

Since then I haven't done much when it came to activities: We ate burgers and fries for lunch, I refused to play softball and all I did was strum the strings of my guitar during the music activity. We started and finished the frame of our go kart. For dinner we had Baked Ziti and Salad. 

We are currently in our cabin playing Apples to Apples. Well, the others played while I sat on my bunk. Luna came in with a cell phone. She signals me to go outside. She smiles at Gabe.

"I'm kidnapping Ji Yong for a minute I'll bring him back."

I raise my hood and sit on the rail of the patio. She looks at me. 

"Yes?"

She hands me the cell phone.

"There's someone who wants to talk to you. Take it off hold."

I take it off hold and see an unknown number on the display screen. I bring the phone to my ear.

"Hello?"

"Hey buddy."

I froze. I recognize the voice as my father. I can feel my blood begin to bubble almost instantly. I have no reason to talk to him, why on earth is he calling me?

"H-Hi dad."

"How's Camp?"

I clear my throat. 

"G-Good I guess. What did you want?"

I hear a shallow laugh. I blink clenching the cell phone in my hand. Even his laugh is irking me.

"I want to tell you that your mother and I went separate ways. While the whale is having the baby we can live together out of state. You won't have to worry about her. I can get you out of that hell hole you're in now and get you out of her house by tomorrow so to speak?"

My face tensed. I feel a tear run down my cheek. 

"No dad. I don't want to leave. Mom needs help."

He laughs abruptly. 

"Yeah she needs help alright, help by a doctor. You're my son and I raised you. She must have you brain washed. Come on buddy I taught you well come with me. You love me more anyway."

"Dad, define love. Love is the thing you're lacking along with respect and courtesy. You would not know love even if it fell from the sky and bonked you on the head. You only say this because you think that I'm going to continue to be like you. I will not. I'm not going to have that mean reputation to my baby sister."

He scoffs. 

"Yeah she definitely brain washed you. You really don't want to even acknowledge that thing."

My fingers grip the phone so hard that they turn pale. Tears are now streaming endlessly. 

"A thing? You are calling your precious blood a thing? What did you call me when I was a baby? A mistake?"

"How did you know that? Did she tell you?"

My heart sunk. I get up off the railing my hands shaking. I can hear Luna radio calling for Janie.

"At least Mom loves me. All this time I thought of you as a hero now I regret everything. I knew you were a mean person but I assumed you had that little ounce of care for me but you don't. Don't ever call me again."

He lets out a laugh so horrendous it made my bones chill. 

"Don't worry I won't. You aren't any son of mine."

He hung up. I handed the phone to Luna with my heavy trembling hand.

"If he calls again just hang up." 

I try to walk but my legs are wobbling so hard I nearly fell. I see Janie come rushing down the trail.

"Ji Yong.. let's go in my office for a bit and calm down. We can call your mom."

At that moment I do not know what came over me but my legs instantly gave out and I let out a wail so loud and so awkward sounding I swear the entire camp heard it. It was something between an angry scream and a sad cry. My body felt weak and I out.

I woke up in my bunk. Janie is looking at me with concern. She asks if I'm okay. I nod slowly. I feel weak and very angry. I couldn't speak. Once she knew I was okay and I covered up ready for bed she opens the door.

"Campers, you can come back in. I want everyone to get ready for bed. If you need to talk please talk quietly and please let Ji Yong sleep. Gabe will be back in a couple hours."

The team slowly walk passed me giving me a look of concern and sadness. I cover my face. I really didn't need their sympathy. This day could not end any worse. 

"Your substitute counselor is Mr. Bin. Goodnight campers."

Did she just say Mr. Bin?! I look over and I see that it is, indeed, Mr. Bin. My old teacher. Mr. Stinky. Dirt Pants.

It got worse.