Bus Ride

Around the Campfire

"Ji Yong! Kwon Ji Yong! You are going to be late!"

My mother's deep yells can be heard for miles. I roll my eyes and pick up my suitcase. This is the last time I'm gonna see my bedroom for the next two to three months. Taking a last look at my bed, the thing that I will miss the most, because I'll be sleeping on a metal cot or wooden bunk bed with a 2 inch thick uncomfortable spring mattress. I'll miss my memory foam. 

To get my mother to stop yelling at me for possibly the 100th time I walk out of my room shoving my Samsung in my jean pocket. I may not be allowed to have it but do I care? No. I go out to the dining room setting my suitcase by my side. Mother sets a plate of eggs in front of me.

"Are you ready for an exciting summer? I'm sure you'll have fun once you get used to the place. While you're having fun I'll have time to clean the house and your father and I will have plenty of time to prepare for the baby. Aren't you excited?"

I shrug and roll my eyes pushing the scrambled eggs across the plate with my fork. 

"Oh yeah very excited. Fantastic."

She ignores my obvious sarcasm and when I finished my breakfast she shoos me out the door to the approaching bus. For almost a day and a half I argued up and down with my mom about why she can't drive me to camp, she claimed everything from I don't have much gas to it's too far. Every excuse you could think of. Blah Blah Blah. She rubs her growing pregnant belly. While waiting she says that she's going to miss me a lot and she knows that fun is waiting for me just around the corner. 

Thanks Mom, I feel a whole lot better. 

The big tan colored bus came to a dusty stop nearly a foot where I was standing. I can already tell that I was gonna hate this place. I really couldn't tell if I was more disgusted at the big colorful letters printed on the side of the bus making it seem like the camp is ran by kids or the thick coat of dust on my favorite jeans and sunglasses. 

The bus driver opens the door allowing more dust to float in the air. 

"Hello Ji Yong! Hop on the fun bus!"

The fun bus...? Really? I coughed fanning the dust cloud. I slowly step on the first step hissing in disgust. 

"Take a seat buddy!"

I sit in the blue bench seat not bothering to buckle up. Feeling very annoyed and growing bored I snuck my cell phone out unlocking the screen. I watched my signal bars slowly go down one by one. Then there was a none left then a "X". 

Perfect. Just Perfect. 

The bus stopped and a tall kid about my age stepped on. The kid was obviously middle class. A red and black polo shirt, Levi knock-off jeans, and scratchy blue faded Adidas. He pushed his brown colored hair to the side closely examining for a empty seat. Quick as a hare I piled my backpack and the contents on the seat beside me. 

Please don't sit with me... Please don't... PLEASE! The happy go lucky bus driver stood and smiled at me with the kid behind him.

"Mr. Ji Yong will you be a kind gentleman and let this kid sit beside you? There are no more empty seats on the bus."

I scoff. Well then strap him to the damn roof for God's sake. I think you can manage it for a few miles if you don't stop. Someone might have bungee cords somewhere. If he lays low no cops will notice and no worries on bug mouth. All he has to remember to do is duck when you go under a bridge.

After a second I sighed and refilled my backpack allowing this middle class peasant to sit with me. The bus driver gives me a smile saying thank you and returns to his seat. We started moving again. 

To avoid any further headaches I made it obvious that I didn't want any communication of any kind with the kid. I put in my ear bus playing K-Pop completely tuning everyone out. 

I felt a tap on my shoulder, of course it's the kid next to me. I scoff taking out an ear phone.

"Yes? Can I help you?"

"I'm just letting you know they don't allow phones in the camp. If they see it they'll take it away." 

I gave him an annoyed look moving an inch away.

"You know kid, how about you shut up and mind your own business?"

Obviously this kid didn't understand me and taps my shoulder.

"I seriously suggest you put your phone away they do bag searches and take it."

Oh My God. How many times must I tell this kid to shut up. I turn to face him.

"Listen middle class leach I said to shut up. Do NOT tell me what to do. I paid for my phone I can have it out. One more word from you and you'll be an ugly splatter stain on the road."

He quickly nods and I turn back to face my phone screen. He hasn't said a word to me the rest of the way. After 15 minutes I lay my head against the window watching the trees and cars pass by. I must have fallen asleep I awoke when my head had bumped on the window glass as the bus goes over a bumpy dirt road. 

Great... More dirt... we're in the middle of nowhere. The bus driver took the microphone from the dashboard.

"Here we are children! Camp Oakwood! Smell the nice fresh nature air!"

The bus came to a dusty stop. The doors open letting us off. After I had took a whiff of the air "fresh nature air." I immediately regret ever stepping off the bus. I would honestly rather be on a stuffy 103 degree diesel smelling bus than be outside in this place that smells of musty wood and rain water. I shoved my phone in my backpack before proceeding to the main hall to get registered. 

I am greeted by a tall young man who looks like he could be a brother. He wore a beige sun hat, a white polo shirt, denim shorts, and Nike sneakers. How tacky...

"Hello young man! I'm Gabe! Can I have your name?"

"Ji Yong... Kwon Ji Yong."

After scanning a paper he smiles big at me.

"Well this is a lucky day Ji Yong! You're with me with Team Tie Dye also known as the Music and Craft Club or as what I like to call it: THE MOST FUNNEST CLUB ON THIS CAMPSITE!"

Oh. My. God. NO. Please just take me to juvenile detention. When we finally finished the 25 page registration form booklet it was finally time to get going to our assigned cabin to get settled down. I felt someone lightly grasp my shoulder. 

"Hold on there one more thing sport we just got to check your luggage real quick. It's mandatory. We won't look at your personal garments or anything like that we just need to make sure you aren't bringing anything that is against camp policy." 

I held my backpack and suitcase out of his reach. I shook my head. 

"Ji Yong please? Please cooperate with me here. It'll just be a second."

I groan. I just accepted the fact that I will not win this battle with him. I just hope he'll not find my phone or I'm going to be one pissed off person. I sighed and opened my bags. He smiled thanking me and took a quick look through my bag. Unfortunately he found my phone. He frowned.

"Ji Yong I'm sorry to say this but we don't allow cell phones here. I'm gonna have to confiscate this you'll get it back when you leave at the end of the summer. We will keep it locked up in a safe."

I groaned and rolled my eyes. Oh you're gonna pay Gabe. You'll regret ever saying hello to me.... Just wait you'll be quitting your job in a heck of a hurry and fleeing from this campsite and I will be back home where I can have my cell phone in peace.