Beautiful

Around the Campfire

The time is now 6:30, we are in our cabin finishing getting ready for the dance. We're all nervous but excited all at the same time. I dress in my dress shirt and khakis. I brush my hair for the last time and hold my stomach feeling a little uneasy.

"Gabe, is it normal to get a bit queasy before meeting with a girl?"

Gabe shrugs helping Seung Hyun with his tie. 

"Maybe it's gas. Let out a fart."

The others cover their noses preparing for any incoming gas burts. I just shake my head with a small smile. Thanks Gabe. I feel a lot better. 

We leave the cabin once everyone is ready. We had to be the only ones dressed fancy. We went to the hiking trail heading into the East hall. Halfway down we hear the music blaring making the ground under our feet vibrate. Gabe breaks out into this weird dance number.

"Sounds like fun in there Gentlemen."

We arrive at 6:50 and walk in through the double doors. The entire is full of lights of all colors, balloons, and confetti. The tables are filled with chocolate, fruit, chips, cookies, snacks, and soda galore! The DJ is Luna's teenage nephew, Trevor, he sits in the corner with his laptop on his DJ table and plays the most popular K-Pop and English songs. Time to party. 

I spent the last hour talking with my team and dancing with the others. I've gotten a few compliments about my dancing abilities. I noticed that it was 8:00pm, there was no sign of Bella. I didn't even see Mack running around. 

I walk outside for some fresh air. I quickly scan the area outside. I still didn't see any sign of Bella. Was she out catching Mack? Did her campers need her? Did she back out? I almost missed her when I heard a small squeaky cough. I look beside me in the far corner. She is dressed in her pretty blue sequin dress and blue sequin flip flops. The bow in her hair and her nails match. She's sitting on the bench crying. 

"Bella?"

She looks at me quickly wiping her eyes with her hand. I sit beside her.

"What's the matter?"

She sniffs trying to calm herself down.

"I-I can't do this Ji Yong. I can't take it."

I blink pushing a strand of hair off her face. I forgot that Bella is very insecure about herself. Each day she was told she was ugly and no guy would date her. A few kids in school dared each other to go on dates with her and ditched her. As soon as I found out what they did they went home with a black eye. I've tried to get Bella's attention she had gotten to the point where she trusts no guy at all. Right now she is just waiting me to say "Sike" and run off laughing.

I put my hand on her shoulder. 

"You can do this."

She shook her head crying her eyes out. I left for a second to whisper something into Trevor's ear. I go back outside. 

"Ladies and Gents I need the dance floor clear for a special dance."

The beginning to Wanted by Hunter Hayes began to play the ceiling lights turning off only shining red and pink spot lights. She notices the music change. I hold my hand out to her. 

"Bella..? Can I have this dance?"

She nervously grasps my hand as I slowly walk her in. We stand in the middle of the room. I hold her hands as we both began to mirror the swaying slow dance. I can feel her hands shaking. 

"Just relax. It's okay." 

We dance slowly in a circle I give her a twirl. I love watching the sequins shine in the light. She leans closer to me.

"Ji Yong you're a good dancer but I'm crazy scared. If you are planning on running away do it now."

I smile at her giving her another twirl. 

"Why would I run?"

I held her close to me holding her hand. I can hear Gabe bawling in the corner saying how beautiful we were and how he promised himself that he wouldn't cry. Oh my God. He's a bigger dork than Seung Hyun. She looks like she finally relaxed she started to add more sway to her dancing. I smile at her. She looks at me.

"You aren't joking."

I place a hand on her cheek.

"It's as real as it gets."

The song ended, I finished the dance with a tight hug. Everyone awes and claps. Trevor switches back to colorful lights and pop music. I look and saw Bella actually smiling. She walks outside with me returning to the bench. She sighs.

"Did you really mean it? That was real and not part of some dare or bet?"

I say yes. I held her hand. She looks at our connected hands then back at me like she doesn't trust me. 

"Ji Yong... I'm so ugly why are you so loving toward me?"

I look at her.

"Whoever says you're ugly is blind and needs glasses. You are the prettiest girl I've ever met."

I wrap my arms around her neck for a hug. She lays her head on my chest, a tear running down her cheek.

"I want to believe you but I can't..."

I tilt her head up so she looks at me. 

"Listen. You are pretty. I love every little thing about you flaws and all."

I slowly lean inward she pushes in for a kiss. I can feel my heart beating out of my chest. This is the best moment of my life. I got to dance and kiss the girl I have a burning crush on. We both pull away. She clears trying to figure out what just happened. I rub her shoulder. 

"That was real too."

She smiles big adjusting her hair. She clears .

"Lets keep that kiss between us. Okay?"

I nod completely agreeing. 

"Oh yes I don't want Janie freaking out on me."

We both go back in. Gabe and the rest of the campers were waiting for me. Gabe pats my back.

"You two were so cute!" 

Trevor plays a random pop song, almost immediately Bella lights up like a Christmas Tree.

"I LOVE THIS SONG!"

 She starts dancing and smiling big singing along the song. She jumps up and down with her arms in the air. My heart started beating again. She looks absolutely adorable. She runs to me grabbing my hand and pulling me to the dance floor. My cabin team claps laughing at me. Gabe whistles.

"GO GET EM JI YONG!"

We both did our own free style dance accidentally bumping butts from time to time, each time we bust out laughing. Seung Hyun joins dancing  beside me, then Hong Ki, Seungri, Daesung, Taeyang, then Gabe. Soon everyone was copying Bella's dancing. Lastly Mack comes in and dances on his hind legs beside his owner. Bella picks him up dancing with him. 

The song ends we cheer at once. We all are having the time of our lives. You know the old saying that time flies when you're having fun. It seemed like all I did was blink and it was 10pm. Trevor let the last song play out before announcing it was time to go. We all cheer one last time before helping clean up and leaving outside. Gabe gathers us. 

"Okay campers, now that we shook hind ends and partied until the cows came home, it's time for bed. We are going on a field trip tomorrow to shop for things for our karts."

We follow him outside to go up the trail.

"Ji Yong! Wait!"

We turn to see Bella running behind us. Mack is barking chasing her. She gives me a hug. 

"Thank you for giving me the best night ever. You're so sweet."

I smile saying you're welcome. She picks up Mack and leaves toward her cabin. We all crash in bed once we got to our cabin. Our feet ache from all that dancing. I lay in bed not bothering to undress. I am too tired to move. The moment the lights went out I dozed off.